TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief:Gold and Windows 7

Thief:Gold and Windows 7

Hello, I recently acquired Thief Gold, and am attempting to install it on my new machine(got it just prior to last Christmas), and I keep getting hit with the same message(compatibility has already been taken care of) - "This product cannot be installed on Windows NT due to a DirectX(tm) limitation." Can someone here tell me how to beat it into submission? I really wanna play the "Thieve's Guild", "Mage's Tower", and "Song's of the Cavern" levels!

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031
    If you'd looked in this thread you'd have found what you need to know.

I actually installed TG on Win7 this morning.

OK, Put CD in drive -
    Go to Start, then Run, then type d:\setup.exe -lgntforce, where d:\ is your CDrom/DVDrom drive.

Install, run it (to set up the cam.cfg file), it will probably freeze and you'll have no vids.
    Close it down.
    Extract DDfix to the directory your Thief.exe is in.
    Run the ddfixGUI.exe (right click, run as administrator), check the video fix box and choose what resolution you want. (if you have a wide screen/non standard resolution monitor, then just leave it on 800x600 and we'll fix it later). Click apply patch.
    Go to the Thief Gold shortcut on your desktop or the THIEF.exe file, right click, go to compatibility, choose XP, service pack2 and run as administrator.
    There we go.
    If you have a wide screen monitor now extract the widescreen fix to the folder with your thief exe in. Run the DarkWidescreen.bat file and enter your resolution. Enter 100 for the fov.

Sit back and enjoy Thief Gold.
    Last edited by Namdrol; 17th Feb 2010 at 10:02.

That doesn't help me because my Windows 7 Start menu doesn't have a "Run" option in it! Try again, please.

Scorpion12
    Click on your Start menu, click on All Programs, find a folder labelled Accessories, click on it, it will open and you'll see Run there about 8-9 programs down.
    Or even easier, click on your Start menu, then in the search box at the very bottom type the following:
    R then U and finally N.
    This should bring Run up at the top under programs. Click on it and follow the instructions I gave above.

Oh.... (blushes deeply) hehheh... waddaya know... hehhehheh... I'm just gonna go off and die now....

Let me know how you got on.

Wht do you know, it worked, I'm finally good to go. Thanks! (hehheh... )

Small addition to Windows 7 Setup Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    Run the ddfixGUI.exe (right click, run as administrator), check the video fix box and choose what
    resolution you want. (if you have a wide screen/non standard resolution monitor, then just leave it on 800x600 and we'll fix it later). Click apply patch.

Go to the Thief Gold shortcut on your desktop or the THIEF.exe file, right click, go to compatibility, choose XP, service pack2 and run as administrator.

Just a small addition, when I wanted to apply the ddfix patch Windows reported that "ddfixGUI caused an error and would be closed".
    A manual installation according to the ddfix readme file was successful. I though I would leave this comment here for future reference. So try that if you have the same problem.

On the compatibility remark, I tried running in compatibility mode and without it. Both worked for me. Any reason why this should be switched on?

System: AMD Phenom II X4, running Windows 7 x64
    Last edited by Wouter; 19th Feb 2010 at 08:26. Reason: System discription added

Still will not work

Hi there

We cannot get Thief Gold to run on windows 7 at all. It crashes as soon as we press NEW GAME or OPTIONS. It wont even work without using Garrettloader. It was fine on Windows XP.
    We followed the info for DDfix but still crashes when starting new game

Is there any patches for windows 7 please?

Still will not work

Hi there

We cannot get Thief Gold to run on windows 7 at all. It crashes as soon as we press NEW GAME or OPTIONS. It wont even work without using Garrettloader. It was fine on Windows XP.
    We followed the info for DDfix but and set compatibitily mode to xp service pack 2 still crashes when starting new game

Is there any patches for windows 7 please?

Thanks
    Last edited by bigshaun6767; 19th Apr 2010 at 04:37.

I got it working but still crashes when going to options menu

Thanks

Some quick checks:
    - Have you tried installing DDFix manually? You need a different version of the DDFix graphical installer for x64 versions of Windows.
    - Make sure the graphics resolutions are 1280 x 1024 in both the ddfix.ini and the thief config (cfg) file. That's probably the best one to try out while debugging. The resolutions must be "standard" 4:3 ones.
    - GarrettLoader won't make any difference to the Dark engine, so it's probably best to leave it uninstalled while you try to fix Thief.

I bought Thief gold and Thief 2 from GoG.com. Both have ddfix installed already. I only need to apply the widescreen patch to Thief 2 and it works. Thief Gold however doesn't. The games menu launches in windowed mode and maps are not loaded, the screen remains black after the cutscene.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Shame there is no solution for this.

try the sticky on the gog thief forum.

It's 2012 and this still helped loads. Thanks a lot!!

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031
    If you'd looked in this thread you'd have found what you need to know.

OK, Put CD in drive -
    Go to Start, then Run, then type d:\setup.exe -lgntforce, where d:\ is your CDrom/DVDrom drive.

Install, run it (to set up the cam.cfg file), it will probably freeze and you'll have no vids.
    Close it down.
    Extract DDfix to the directory your Thief.exe is in.
    Run the ddfixGUI.exe (right click, run as administrator), check the video fix box and choose what resolution you want. (if you have a wide screen/non standard resolution monitor, then just leave it on 800x600 and we'll fix it later). Click apply patch.
    There we go.
    If you have a wide screen monitor now extract the widescreen fix to the folder with your thief exe in. Run the DarkWidescreen.bat file and enter your resolution. Enter 100 for the fov.

Sit back and enjoy Thief Gold.

TTLG

Guys, I have a problem. I installed Thief Gold by following your instructions because I have Windows7 and every time I try to play thief, the game blocks, it stops completely after a while and I don't know what to do...help please

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733

have you seriously dug up a 2010 topic instead of just reading the big stickied one?

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Guys, I have a problem. I installed Thief Gold by following your instructions because I have Windows7 and every time I try to play thief, the game blocks, it stops completely after a while and I don't know what to do...help please
    The instructions above are pretty much outdated, since in october a miracle happened and an ultimate fix (NewDark v1.19) has been gifted to the community.
    I would recommend to start from scratch using the instructions that voodoo47 just pointed you to:
    The TFix patch contains basicly everything you need in a convenient way.

Welcome to the forum, Godfather !

OK, Put CD in drive -
    Hello,
    when I type d:\setup.exe -lgntforce nothing happens.
    I can't install Thief Gold and Thief 2 on Win 7 with DirectX 9.29 but I had it installed on my old CPU with Win 7.

you don't need to run the setup. just use Tafferpatcher for T2 (will pull the required data from the cd if necessary) and TFix for T1 (copy the game folder onto your hdd and run the patcher, it should work, but I can't test it as I don't have the original cd release of Thief).

still amazed that people seem to miss the stickies, but manage to find this undead topic.

I got it running. Thanks.

Hey thanks for this - I will try this as well with my Thief Gold original box from way back. Gonna be great to play this fantastic game again on win7

Regarding why people don't read the stickies: I agree they should but sometimes ppl can get a bit lost in them I suppose - i dunno -

but I KNOW i heard something! Anyone there???_! GET BACK HERE!?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBack'ereU Taffer View Post
    I agree they should but sometimes ppl can get a bit lost in them I suppose - i dunno -

but I KNOW i heard something! Anyone there???_! GET BACK HERE!?