TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A departure from Thief, Dromed and TTLG

A departure from Thief, Dromed and TTLG

Hello to you all.

I feel I must announce and explain why I will no longer be able to play or create FMs

It's as simple as technology does not want me to get any chance! I've been trying (literally) for years to get my newest machine thief-ready but it's time I accept that I cannot succeed... Since I've moved house I have no longer got access to my old PC - which handled Thief, although with constant trouble.
    I have this Forum to thank for where I am today in life - studying Computer Games Design and Production in college. Thief has, for almost a decade, been my favorite game and the series (of course including the hundreds of fan missions out there) inspired me toward the career I now aim for!
    The community here was always supportive, friendly, welcoming always helping one another!
    It saddens me to lose my place here due to technological issues which noone seemed to be able to figure out. But alas I have years of memories to take with me and a life changing experience

One of my TTLG t-shirts is drenched in f**king cat urine AND IT WON'T WASH OFF

THANK YOU TTLG!!!
    lord hammerarse's manor, The Suffer Catalyst
    The city spreads fever-60%on hold Chasm of the undead-40%on hold The last creak of the gear-2%priority

I'm sorry to hear you're leaving us, Asgaroth!
    This can't be happening!!!
    No Taffer, who has been here for so long as you are, should leave now for technical problems.
    I'm not sure what these are, but I'm sure they can be solved.
    My new computer runs under Vista and together with all the help from other Taffers, I still can play Thief and the FM'S.
    OK. I'm having some T1 mission problems but I had those also on my former PC.

SO let me encourage you to ask any question here on this forum you want to ask and I'm sure there'll be a lot of Taffers giving you the right advise to make it right!!!

Just hang in there and don't give up for now, if you don't really want to
    And good luck with you studies! That's awesome!!!

I'll hope you'll keep creating ánd coming here ....

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Rejoin us... rejoin us NOW!

But why? If I can run Thief Gold/Thief 2 in Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit at 1920x1200, why can't you?
    I emailed you two zip files containing my modified thief.exe and thief2.exe. Give em' a try, just backup the files to be overwritten and drop these into your thief folders.

Asgaroth, are you studying Computer game design? where? I´m also interested in taking a degree on that area.
    How much time do you think you´ll be able to live without this community?...I bet you will come back to us, and i hope so, because i like to play your missions, and you are an essential support to our community, so think about that, and about the newest computers...well there´s always a solution to run thief games in any pc.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    It's as simple as technology does not want me to get any chance! I've been trying (literally) for years to get my newest machine thief-ready but it's time I accept that I cannot succeed...

I'm not intending to sound harsh, but it's the stupidest reason I can imagine.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck!

I'm new to Thief, encouraged to try it by a friend. First I played Thief series, then I tried a few FMs. It is fun. I hear opinions that a lot of Thief stuff gets obsolate, but I find this game a truely unique one, so I don't agree.

So I hope less people will leave and more will join, just like I did.

Technical problems? Huh? What technical problems? I have a dual-core machine and I used DDFix and Widescreen, works like a charm!

Asgaroth, I am computer illiterate and thanks to the immense patience of these forums I am running TG and T2 on a dual core, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit laptop (I put all those specs in although I have no idea what they mean).

There MUST be a way to run Thief on your machine, don't give up.

Oh COME ON!

buy a cheapy old computer....can pick em up for peanuts....

DONT GO!

please
    The beating of my fearful heart : Thump...Thump...Thump...

First epithumia, over at thiefmissions.com"

"First, thanks for all the birthday wishes. It's good to know that the Thief community is still there and still cares.
    I feel that I owe folks an explanation for the fact that the site is again not receiving updates. The problems are several: the site really needs to be moved to a new host for several reasons, not least of which is the fact that it's currently completely out of storage. This isn't a problem except for the time it requires. That's related to the fact that I've just not had enough time lately to do what's required. And finally, it doesn't help that I can't actually play Thief on my current computer, as even with all of the fancy modern patches, it still locks my whole machine up frequently if I look at the map or a readable. Without a fix for that, I tend to play other games when I have an occasional moment for gaming, which keeps me away from the whole Thief experience (community, site and game).
    So that's the deal. If I could get a solution to that crashing problem, I'd probably be back in the game. I still want to play it, but right now it's just an exercise in frustration."

And now Asgaroth.

To both I suggest running Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

You get a good profile of your rig, and it would really help in getting help!

My Specs, for example: (I have listed only the pertinent info)

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded
    Board: Intel Corporation DG33FB AAD81072-306
    Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
    79.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    53.47 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B [CD-ROM drive]
    ST380819AS [Hard drive] (80.00 GB) -- drive 0
    2038 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 1 GB Memory
    ViewSonic G90fb-2 [Monitor]
    Creative AudioPCI (ES1370), SB PCI 64/128 (WDM)

I am running smooth as silk with all the scripts, enhancements, and the thingamajig that fixes the video and second core/hyperthread issues. To be sure, having to do an install is a real pain for me, but I can't live well without them all!

I think the community can help solve any problem so long as they have more specific information to work with.

Classical Master 2008
    Asgaroth: it would be a loss to see you go. Do give The Dark Mod a try (if you haven't, you might want to wait for the next update with a download - due in a few weeks as I have read), but even if you decide to go through with your decision, check back in a year or two to see if your decision is final.

Le Specs (I'm trying to pick out the important crap)

Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (Ireland)

2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

1000.16 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    850.88 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDRH20N SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653B SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]

DELL USB HS-CF Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
    DELL USB HS-MS Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
    DELL USB HS-SD Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
    DELL USB HS-xD/SM USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
    NVIDIA STRIPE 931.52G [Hard drive] (1000.21 GB) -- drive 0

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX [Display adapter]
    DELL E228WFP [Monitor] (22.0"vis, s/n DT8677BJ1G1M, November 2007)

Bus Clock: 1066 megahertz
    Dell Inc. Dell XPS720

You see my old pc had issues with thief due to hyperthreading - but I'm pretty sure it was me that disabled it on this one!
    I guess if there are other ways I have yet to attempt that will fix the issue then I'll take the last hack at the taffer

If anyone can see straight off with those specs that there's something conflicting with thief(preferably something I can easily fix)

For now I'll have to firstly try and find the Thief CDs I'm a bugger for losing important things when moving!
    As soon as I do I can install those .exe files emailed to me by AluminumHaste

Quote Originally Posted by cardia1
    Asgaroth, are you studying Computer game design? where? I´m also interested in taking a degree on that area.
    How much time do you think you´ll be able to live without this community?...I bet you will come back to us, and i hope so
    There are several such courses here in Ireland! Microsoft support two games courses in the world, one in Australia and the other in Ireland (but I opted for a course with less coding )
    I recommend searching the internet for any near you! You'll be surprised how easily you can find these courses - then pick the best

Have you tried the DDfix patch?
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121449

Hello to you all.

I feel I must announce and explain why I will no longer be able to play or create FMs
    Why do these announcements always start off sounding like something from an AA meeting? Not that I'd know...

And better yet, why dramatically leave TTLG when any idiot can get on-line? Hang around for the fun.

Hell, I'm still hanging about (albeit barely) and I'm in the middle of battling an illness that's trying its damnedest to knock me off.

So don't go boo-hooing about your bloody computer.

I'm sorry to hear you've not been well, Queue. Still, try being a bit less impatient.

Asgaroth, I'm sorry to hear you're having computer problems. I'd really like to know that you're still able to work on your missions. I really enjoyed the ones you've made so far. I'm sure the techy gurus here can help you get Thief up and running. This isn't really the appropriate forum for that side of things though but I'd rather not shift the entire thread as I'd like you to get encouragement to continue on from our members. So how about starting a thread on the Legacy Gaming Tech Help forum? If they can help me get Thief up and running on my husband's quad core computer with ME doing the installation, they should be able to sort out your issues.

Good luck with your studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    I'm sorry to hear you've not been well, Queue. Still, try being a bit less impatient. ...

Am I the only one laughing at the surrealness of this?

Don't worry, Nightwalker, if I suddenly disappear it's not because I left dramatically over hardware issues, it's because I kicked off.

I work for Lowes, a multi-billion dollar home improvement company. You know what computers they're running? Old Intel MS-DOS machines with 566 mhz Celerons. I used to be a manager for McDonald's. They use MS-DOS running DBase for their stuff. Microsoft has brain-washed consumers into thinking they need the latest hi-tech to e-mail pics of the grand kids.

If you gotta have it, you gotta have it. But do like a couple of others have suggested: buy an old box and dedicate it to Thief.

Where's the drama in this? Come on...we all have hardware issues from time to time.

And there are fixes for TDP and TMA run in newer machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    Am I the only one laughing at the surrealness of this?
    No. I'm with you on this one, Queue. I don't see the need for this...

Quote Originally Posted by Nanoc View Post
    Where's the drama in this? Come on...we all have hardware issues from time to time.

And there are fixes for TDP and TMA run in newer machines.

No. I'm with you on this one, Queue. I don't see the need for this...
    I'm sorry: I don't!
    We all have our own issues to come and ask a question here on this forum, or state something ...

I'm sorry Queue, I can understand that you see a "surrealness of this", but that's not all there is.
    I'm aware of sickness and death. I guess we all are in some amount.
    But I don't use it to intimidate other Taffers who have a problem of their own, in their own way and making a mention of it here, at this forum.

Small problems in one Taffers head can be a BIG problem in another Taffer's head!
    And aren't we here on this forum to help eachother then?
    I know life can be tough.
    That's why I come here so often, to gather with my Thief family!

But whatever: Queue: the best of luck to you. I hope you can beat it!

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria Creep View Post
    But whatever: Queue: the best of luck to you. I hope you can beat it!

Gloria Creep
    I'm sorry Queue, I reread this remark of me this evening and I read it in a different kind of way, languague-wise so to speak!
    I never meant to say: WHATEVER as being indifferent for your issues or if I didn't care about your story and your remark here!
    I made a remark in my best judgment, but it turned out to be very blunt in the english language!
    I never meant it in the way it sounds!

Sorry for this Gloria.

Asgaroth, hi!
    I can't see how a comp.system can beat you or any one else who wish to have Thief and DromEd working (especialy one with your line of interest) with all the help given around here.
    I know next to nothing about technicalities but I have managed to function with 4 different laptops and Thief/DromEd up to this day.
    So, it may be something more personal and emotional that makes you wish to make changes.
    If it is so... do what you feel is best for you.

Queue is so right, there ARE things important to fight for that make everything else look trivial.
    It is helpfull to all of us here to see people trying to be storng enough with the adversities in life and health and at the same time not loosing their good mood and not closing out of their lives the things that make them feel creative, happy,or ''homecoming''(like this community).
    Best luck for both, and especially for whom needs it more

Hello to you all.

It's as simple as technology does not want me to get any chance! I've been trying (literally) for years to get my newest machine thief-ready but it's time I accept that I cannot succeed... Since I've moved house I have no longer got access to my old PC - which handled Thief, although with constant trouble.
    I have this Forum to thank for where I am today in life - studying Computer Games Design and Production in college. Thief has, for almost a decade, been my favorite game and the series (of course including the hundreds of fan missions out there) inspired me toward the career I now aim for!
    The community here was always supportive, friendly, welcoming always helping one another!
    It saddens me to lose my place here due to technological issues which noone seemed to be able to figure out. But alas I have years of memories to take with me and a life changing experience

One of my TTLG t-shirts is drenched in f**king cat urine AND IT WON'T WASH OFF

THANK YOU TTLG!!!
    I have thief 2 running on my windows 7 32 bit pc with a Intel quad core 2.66 Ghz processor, 8 gigs of ram and a 500 Gig SCSI hard drive!

The only things I did were TWO things not counting installing the game:
    1. I had recently reformatted my computer with win 7 so I did a fresh install of thief 2.

2. Then I ran thief 2 and got to the Thief 2 game menu, then I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and at the windows 7 menu, I chose "start task manager" and then went to the "processes" tab where I right clicked on the "Thief 2.exe" and clicked "set affinity" I set it to "CPU 0" and then clicked OK. (This made it to where thief 2 only used ONE core of my quad core processor to run the game.)

3. Then I downloaded the latest GUI version of ddfix and put it in my thief 2 folder where I had the game installed. Then I opened up that folder, clicked on the ddfixGUI.exe and chose "patch". It patched the game and I closed it.

THAT WAS IT! Thief 2 runs perfectly with darkloader (Latest version) and I can play all my fan missions again.

Basically, I only changed my core processing speed to 1 core and clicked on ddfix. That was IT! Besides right clicking the thief 2.exe on the desktop and choosing "properties" then choosing the "compatibility" tab and choosing win xp SP3 to run the game in.

If you have windows 7 try those two things, because I have read that all the "other" fixes for windows vista don't apply to windows 7! Sometimes they mess the game up worse!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. But I would try that before I quit completely.
    Last edited by webe123; 25th Feb 2010 at 21:57.

Then there's the little overlooked Indeo codecs for XP...I assume that there will be a version for Win7.
    I have just got used to xp and I'm damned if I'm going to change again
    I have...
    Intel core 2 quad 3.0GHZ
    Asus P5Q SE PLUS mobo
    8GB DDR2 RAM (xp can only use 4GB)
    2 X 500Gb HDD SATA II + 1 25Gb HDD ATA running as a slave underneath my DVD RAM drive
    ATI X1800 PRO 512mb
    Soundbaster audigy II ZS (wife only allows headphones as my altec lancing 5.1 system rocks the house)
    Dell flat screen 17" monitor..the only thing left from my old dell 8250 stem engine.
    Fearsomly fast and needs its winpower 1kw psu....silent my arse, hear it growl when I give it some work to do..

Archivist
    Man, I hope you change your mind Asgaroth. Hopefully you get Thief up and running again with all the advice posted

Your entry is still up in the upcoming FM list and I would hate to remove it for this reason