TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting a contest

Vertical Contest Winner 2009

Starting a contest

i don't dromed without contests, i think that time limits, size restraints and competition bring out the best in me. a thread was recently started noting the lack of fan mission releases in february. i hope to make june the opposite of this problem. i'm starting a contest. come to the editor's guild if its your first time and you want to make your first mission, or you're a veteran and you want to partake in some friendly competition.

Thanks for organizing this, Jason!

Here's the link to the contest thread: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131196

Good luck to everyone who wants to join in!

*cough* I guess everybody here forgot about this?

Check the thread in The Editor's Guild for more info.

Since nobody cares (), I'll just make you care.

Otto's Contest is nearing its deadline.

We will probably see new missions from:

- Ottoj55
    - eepcat
    - darthsLair
    - Brethren
    - Random_Taffer
    - Rufus
    - Intruder
    - Lost Soul

That sounds enough for a night full of fun. But maybe some support from here could be nice.
    Last edited by PotatoGuy; 18th Apr 2010 at 16:43. Reason: more contestors \o/

Support, support ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ sending some right now. This contest is really looking good, canīt wait to play

You should do a bigger build up if you want a bigger response and shake up some excitement!

What can you tell us about the missions? Any particular theme? Screenshots? That sort of thing to get the blood racing. This is the fan mission forum after all. Tell us more!

Congrats anyway to all those participating for getting 6 new FMs ready to play in just a few weeks.

bikerdude
    good stuff!

Can't wait to play!! Ihave enjoyed the last TDM missions and the new T2 mission. Thanx for the update!

Information for darthsLair's mission:

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    As Fidcal and PotatoGuy suggests, My mission title is : Escape Hammer Hill, Since the fm Authors are profiled, and since there are no secrets just yet anyway. As you can probably guess it is a Hammerite Theme which suggests that Garrett has been imprisoned again...
    And it being his sworn duty to escape the heavy hammer once again

You can add me to the list of participants PotatoGuy

I started building 2 days ago (according to DromEd I spent ~18 hours so far).
    Since I don't care about winning at all, some details:

- I'm not using any fancy custom textures or objects
    - mission takes place in the docks
    - ... in one 100x100 DU brush (~ 25m x 25m)
    - you are going to revisit an "old friend" from TMA

I think I will upload some early screenshots this weekend, but I can't promise it...

PotatoGuy: Ah! Sorry. When you announced there is a contest that is nearing its deadline I thought you meant it was nearing its completion deadline and the FMs are almost finished. That was why I thought it strange you didn't give any details.

Well, the contest has been going on for 1,5 month, but it seems like most of the participators had something other to do until now. I'm happy to see so many still joined. And your suggestion was already welcome though, at least we know something about darthsLair's mission already.

@intruder: Added!

If I missed anyone else, just say so here (or drop me a PM), and I'll add you to the list.

I didn't even know this was on the go! I always enjoy seeing what missions we get from contests so I'll be looking forward to playing them for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    You can add me to the list of participants PotatoGuy

I started building 2 days ago (according to DromEd I spent ~18 hours so far).
    Since I don't care about winning at all, some details:

- I'm not using any fancy custom textures or objects
    - mission takes place in the docks
    - ... in one 100x100 DU brush (~ 25m x 25m)
    - you are going to revisit an "old friend" from TMA

I think I will upload some early screenshots this weekend, but I can't promise it...
    Sounds exciting Intruder - Dock missions are great and you know how to do them very well.

Really looking forward to playing the submissions from this contest - good luck to everyone involved on finishing your mission! Also, I'm sure I'm the only one but whenever I see this thread in the fan mission forum main index I keep reading it as "Staring Contest" and I giggle like an idiot.

A first teaser after having placed more than 1200 brushs:

Bonus: find Benny...

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Wow Intruder, you placed 1200 Terrain Brushes in alittle over 24 hours ? Mine is at 1000, but I have been taking my time. 300 Room Brushes, 24 Area Brushes, 300 objects so far. Still adding a little terrain here and there. Sidewalks ect.

Fast Work Intruder !

Here is a non -spoiler screen: Garrett can do anything if he tries hard enough

Looking back from the otherside. The Player will not actually ever get this far, but who knows?

I am still working in this area, and have not aligned textures yet, as I am still trying to choose the right ones for a Mountainous Scene. Just added Sunlight, using Raycast and settings from the East. It is morning, our time 10:00 am. Garrett's time, dont know.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 18th Apr 2010 at 01:07. Reason: adding screens

Nice pictures darthsLair!
    My biggest concern was the limited size of this contest but after some hours of building, I was surprised by how much you could put into this tiny space. I'm focusing on classic gameplay, i.e. many different ways in and out, lots of hidden stash and challenging objectives, especially on expert.

Here are some real screenshots (although there is not much to see yet):

Nice Intruder ! These will be condensed packages alright ! Area Brushes are invaluable.

I am still working hard at completing my mission for the deadline. Look.

I understand completely Lost Soul. I hate it when I am working outside, and run through a light Cell.
    Poof ! Dromed goes to sleep on me again !

Also, I have lost my Operating System twice in a month, which is also fun. Fortunately I backup on thumb, and cd's.also an external. If I hadn't I would have thrown my computer under the wheels of my truck. I believe in Recycling to it's best !

So that more people can release a mission, the release date has been delayed to June 30.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i was just going to update this one, i decided that another month was fair. some hadn't started yet, others had final exams, and i'm actually turning into a detail nut on a whole new level. so an extra month and another 256,000 dromed units was added.

Due to the increased size-limit, I was able to make some of the former "decorative-areas" accessible, including some city streets and a small pier:

The brushwork is almost done (99%), but some (mostly decorative) objects are still missing here and there.
    Ambient sounds, music and objectives are all complete. The only thing that is completely missing at the moment are AI's and their patrol-routes and almost all readables, so this is going to be the next stage.

Classical Master 2008
    intruder: is this your formerly planned Classic Contest entry?

It almost looks like it, that's true

You know, building a dock-themed mission and using only stock resources are two things that were pretty much on the top of my "Thief TODO-list".
    So this contest is the perfect reason for both...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast