TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TDM: The Builder's Influence (2010/03/20)

TDM: The Builder's Influence (2010/03/20)

Announcing the release of a new TDM mission--The Builder's Influence.
    Mapping by Railgun. Story and readables by Springheel.

This mission continues the story of Corbin, the former smuggler first introduced in "The Thieves".

Download it here:
    http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm..._influence.pk4
    http://www.fidcal.com/darkuser/missi..._influence.pk4

Briefing:

"Whenever I attract a little too much attention in Bridgeport, I use some friendly smuggling lines to head north to Braeden. It's smaller than Bridgeport but still large enough that a visitor like me can go unnoticed. I've always been on good terms with the Cratchit Gang here, and for a small cut they set me up with a place to stay and some information on jobs in the area. Braeden is a great getaway for someone in my line of work; the watch is stretched thin and will usually look the other way for a small fee. With the constant threat of barbarian invasions on the minds of the people, a little domestic burglary tends to be overlooked. "

"Things have soured over the past few months, however. The Inquisition has come to Braeden. Suddenly there are armoured Builder guards everywhere, even on street patrol. A lot of the underground closed up and fled for greener pastures, and jobs have been drying up. I've decided it's time to head home to Bridgeport, but the Cratchit boys have asked me for a favour first. "

"There's a city Councillor by the name of Gerrard who is payed handsomely by the gang to overlook their smuggling activities. He writes forged tax registers and toll records for them among other things. Apparently the Inquisition has been paying a lot of attention to the city Councillors recently, and they've arrested Gerrard on suspicion of heresy. The Cratchit Gang is worried that they'll get ahold of Gerrard's forged records during the investigation; that would put their entire operation at risk. They need someone to break into City Hall after hours and get the tax records from Gerrard's office before they fall into the wrong hands. The gang is good at what they do, but they're smugglers. Breaking into City Hall is beyond them. "

"That's where I come in. "

"They've given me a map with Gerrard's office on it, so finding the tax records should be easy enough. I have a hunch that the city archives are worth a visit too; there might be some useful maps there. Of course, I'll help myself to some valuables along the way--enough to enjoy myself for a while when I get back to Bridgeport. I hear that Builders are patrolling the City Council halls now, so I'll need to be sharp. Night is falling...better get ready to go. "

Screenshots:

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Note that although this mission requires TDM 1.01 to play, don't expect it to showcase all of 1.01's new features. 98% of the map was completed before the release features were available.

Clearinghouse
    Congrats! Thank you

yeah!! nice briefing and shots. I'm going to give a try right now. thanks for release!

In-game objectives doesn't match the real objectives on Difficult, has the "no kill" one repeated twice.
    Last edited by jaxa; 20th Mar 2010 at 16:14.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I really enjoyed this mission, thanks Railgun and Springheel!

This is a pretty large mission. It really reminds me of Sholsgate from T2. I like the attention to detail in each room.

Quote Originally Posted by lost_soul View Post
    This is a pretty large mission. It really reminds me of Sholsgate from T2. I like the attention to detail in each room.
    Yeah there was a lot of detail. I particularly liked walking into that one office, noticing the amount of builder symbols and hammers in the room, and then reading the strongly worded letter.

Looks great, thank you!

Clearinghouse
    I have Mayor's key and archive cabinet key but I can't find the key for Private Records room.

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    I have Mayor's key and archive cabinet key but I can't find the key for Private Records room.
    Hint: It's in the Mayor's Office.
    Hintier: In his big desk.
    Spoiled: Behind the row of books in the upper left cabinet.

One thing I noticed about this mission is that my fps seemed to bog down as the mission progressed, even though I had KO'd most of the AI. The stairs seemed to be the biggest problem area.

Clearinghouse
    Thanks, Yandros!

Clearinghouse

Yes, there's still a mod bug where AI weapons occasionally stay floating when they die.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    One thing I noticed about this mission is that my fps seemed to bog down as the mission progressed, even though I had KO'd most of the AI. The stairs seemed to be the biggest problem area.
    Yes, several of us did extra work on this FM and I recall trying to improve the framerates - including around those stairs. It was much improved but hard to see what more to do. If I see progressive slowdown then it sometimes helps to gamesave and exit TDM and relaunch it but not always. I've seen other FMs with larger, more complex areas, that are not as slow as that stair area so it's not always obvious what the causes are. Still, it was just about playable on my old machine.

What an excellent mission. I've just re-emerged into the real world after about 2hrs creeping around that place, and not only is it the best Dark Mod FM to date IMO, it's also the most fun I've had in any Thief game for some time. Difficulty of patrols and puzzles/tasks were just about perfectly judged (large & challenging missions are often slightly marred by something obtuse - it made a nice change to be in there from start to finish without having to go looking for help on the forums). The story was thoroughly absorbing, well written and the distribution & build-up of information was pure Looking Glass.

Well done guys, I fucking loved it.

The story was thoroughly absorbing, well written and the distribution & build-up of information was pure Looking Glass.
    Wow, thanks. That's high praise.

Yes it was a very good mission,I really enjoyed it and the 1.01 patch seems to be quite good...

Only problem I still have is the save bug where reloading a save game will crash you to the desktop.

The only performance problem I had was a bit of chugging when I opened the basement window from the inside.

I wasn't sure about 1.01's new "AI chuck rocks at you" mode when I read about it, but it works well. Much better than AI standing there like lemons. The crouch indicator is a nice touch, too.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    Only problem I still have is the save bug where reloading a save game will crash you to the desktop.
    I have same problem

I wasn't sure about 1.01's new "AI chuck rocks at you" mode when I read about it, but it works well.
    The behaviour isn't new, but in 1.00 they threw an endless supply of bottles. Rocks seemed to make slightly more sense.

Gone, but never forgotten
    I miss 40 in loot
    4475 / 4515

An idea where to find them ?
    Last edited by Lady Jo; 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:10.

One issue I had was regarding the audio - music/ambience was a little loud for my tastes, at one point almost completely overpowering important sound effects like enemy footsteps (even nearby ones on tile, it was that loud). Adjusting the 'ambient' slider made no difference.

I also had a guard stuck in a perpetual wibbly walk by an open door to one of the ground floor records offices. He seemed to be infatuated with that door. I guess that's just one of those things, it was easily solved by a thrown scroll and a couple of minutes nervous hiding (Dark Mod AI are quite scary when they're annoyed)

I'll definitely be revisiting this one - possibly on a lower difficulty next time so I can have the pleasure of koshing one or two of those mean old so-and-sos. I finished with something like 280 loot not found - can you tell me if loot totals & placement are the same across all difficulty levels?

Quote Originally Posted by piln View Post
    Adjusting the 'ambient' slider made no difference.
    That's strange. It should make all the difference in the world. I have the slider almost all the way down and I can barely hear it.

I also found the music didn't respond to the slider in this mission. I had it all the way off and it was still plenty loud (too loud for my taste). I noticed the same thing before and reported it on 1.0 in one of the earlier FMs, and thought it was going to be fixed (or is it in how ambient music is implemented by individual authors?) Or perhaps there's more to the problem than the dev team is aware? i.e. the problem, is only seen with certain sound cards/chipsets?

Anyone having the pathfinding problem, guards walking in circles or sitting in the wrong place, please download the FM again.

Sometimes doom does not update certain files even when compiled correctly (and we were in a rush to get this out at the last minute!) I have re-compiled it and forced doom to recreate the files correctly. Now uploaded to both mirrors.

I am not certain but I think it unlikely that you can still use your old gamesaves without error so if you are not having major problems you might prefer to finish the mission before downloading again.

Let this be a lesson to me. Always delete the aas, cm, and proc files and remove any pk4 before the final dmap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast