TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taffer Tropes

Taffer Tropes

Okay, the title may be pushing it, but as a bit of fun I wanted to see how many repeating elements and conventions of mission design can be spotted in the Thief fan missions.

I was grinding my brain to think of a few, and this is all I have so far:

* There is a curfew tonight. No one should be on the streets, apart from the city watch.
    * Someone will invariably drop a ring around the sink, or in the bath.
    * The crumpled paper in the bin next to the desk will provide a useful lead.

Can anyone think of more?

Dewdrop.
    A drunken Benny.

The rent is due and a certain amount of loot must be stolen.

A simple mansion job always turns into a struggle against the forces of evil!

-An ancient, underground complex has been discovered in the basement.

-A hammer/mechanist mage is involved in sinister experiments -- usually involving undead.
    Last edited by elkston; 24th Mar 2010 at 11:06.

Don't kill innocents on hard and don't leave any bodies on Expert.

Well, sewers are a very common route available in a number of missions especially cities.

Does anybody know of which Garrett phrases are used most often (I seem to remember one being used a lot, but I can't seem to remember what it was). One phrase that I can remember being used quite often is "Yeah...he's gone"

Invariably, there always seems to be in a jail cell some crazy murderer guy talking about the man in the shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by NightRanger
    A simple mansion job always turns into a struggle against the forces of evil!
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Never really realized it until now though.

The Architect
    You've been captured and put into a jail cell, but don't worry, all of your stuff is only two rooms away!

You've decided to make a quick FM over the course of a few weeks. Three years later, it's a four mission campaign and there's no end in sight. You suspect a 2016 release date.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    You've decided to make a quick FM over the course of a few weeks. Three years later, it's a four mission campaign and there's no end in sight. You suspect a 2016 release date.

My life story.

You've been captured and put into a jail cell, but don't worry, all of your stuff is only two rooms away!
    And never fear: there's always a conveniently-overlooked secret door, a guard with your cell key dumb enough to patrol real close to your cell or something you can easily fashion into a lock pick!

(don't get me wrong - I love prison-break missions)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Griffin View Post
    The rent is due and a certain amount of loot must be stolen.
    This one always makes me laugh. Over the course of 800+ missions, I estimate Garrett's 'found' some 1,000,000g (probably closer to 1,500,000g) - good grief, how much rent does he pay?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    This one always makes me laugh. Over the course of 800+ missions, I estimate Garrett's 'found' some 1,000,000g (probably closer to 1,500,000g) - good grief, how much rent does he pay?
    No, see, most FMs take place in parallel universes, so those loot totals are not cumulative with respect to helping him pay the rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    No, see, most FMs take place in parallel universes, so those loot totals are not cumulative with respect to helping him pay the rent.
    Or, the Hammers have been scaring all the local fences lately. It's just easier to intimidate some whiny pencil-pushers.

- You are the Paragon of Balance, the reluctant protector of the City.
    - Water arrows in ponds, rivers, wells, water coolers, sinks, toilets.
    - Banks and businesses with employees embezzling funds for an early retirement.
    - The keepers have asked me to steal an artifact for them. It is a matter of grave importance.
    Last edited by jaxa; 24th Mar 2010 at 15:48.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    there is a room full of crates
    dripping pipes/steam leaks
    everyone has the same handwriting

Guards insulting a lady in town and other guards defending her honour. They quarrel and sometimes one guard gets killed
    Garrett saying: My favourite year, when stealing a special winebottle.
    Mossarrows in plants and vegeatables in gardens or on the kitchentable.
    A stick or frying pan instead of a BJ
    All neccessary potions a.s.o. in lockers.
    A beautiful skyline.

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

- Objectives are always possible: There's always more loot than the goal requirements, never less. The information you want can always be found.

- Your exit route is actually impassible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria Creep View Post
    All neccessary potions a.s.o. in lockers.
    It's odd isn't it - the guards never use speed potions, or throw flashbombs at you. Perhaps they're collectors items.

* The Lord of the manor is probably evil/possessed by a dark spirit/obsessed with a demonic artifact.
    * The powers of fate will always mysteriously draw Garrett towards the latest owner of the Horn of Quintus.
    * Inns and pubs will always be named after burricks.
    * There are so many caves, tunnels, cellars, sewers, mines, long-forgotten chambers and portals to hell under the city that the whole place is about ready to collapse into a massive sinkhole.
    * Anyone under threat of the undead will immediately stop running and hiding when they hear unearthly moans, and write the latest entry in their journal.
    * Every single house, attic or apartment Garrett has ever lived in has a secret compartment where he keeps his loot. A simple chest just won't cut it...
    * As a noble, the best place to hide your stash of gold is behind a large square banner. Or behind the bookcase that's actually a door. Or occasionally up the chimney.
    * You can't get planning permission in the city unless your blueprints include at least three secret passages.
    * Whenever anyone has hidden some valuables, lost some valuables, found out a secret, or just doesn't like someone else, they will immediately write it in their diary and then leave it open on their desk for all to see.

I realise I'm guilty of proliferating most of these...

This is my nocomment face, it is made entirely of no comment.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    * There are so many caves, tunnels, cellars, sewers, mines, long-forgotten chambers and portals to hell under the city that the whole place is about ready to collapse into a massive sinkhole.
    That's actually true of a lot of old cities - under many older European cities in particular there really are networks of caves, remains of old cellars that join together, mineshafts... In several places they were used as bomb shelters during WW2, and in a few places they are still used for utility supplies.

The 'portal to hell' thing doesn't happen though. Well, except in London. There it is true (hint: be careful which way you go around the Circle Line on Walpurgis Night...)

And also:
    • It's always a long way down.

the wine one and the long way down quotes were the ones I was thinking of....

"ho ho ho and a bottle of rum" is also pretty popular

oh, whatabout that M1drone....it seems almost all T2 missions have this sound playing at their start locations. Dromeders know which sound I'm talking about.

Oh and no matter where a keeper in hiding is staying at, they have a secret place. I guess this is where Garrett picked up the habit.

m00start, but that's not a trope. It's a tradition!

Certain buildings can only be accessed using the open window beneath the roof.
    There is a hidden gas arrow in every cloud of steam.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post

That's actually true of a lot of old cities - under many older European cities in particular there really are networks of caves, remains of old cellars that join together, mineshafts... In several places they were used as bomb shelters during WW2, and in a few places they are still used for utility supplies.
    Yes, Here in Maastricht it's called: KAZEMATTEN. A lot of old houses in the centre of the city have a tunnel in their cellars leading to these caves. They used it during war times. These caves are very, very old.

BTW: What does the word TROPE mean exactly?
    I tried to look it up in my dictionary, but it only said: as a figure of speech ....??? of what??
    I got the meaning of the thread, so I could put in my reply, but I would like to now what this word means.
    I can check the internet, but I'm too busy Thieving right now

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Literary Trope (pretty close to what Thief is): a common theme used in storytelling

I think we have altered it somewhat, so that a taffer trope means "a common theme or detail seen/heard/experienced in Thief FMs"

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    there is a room full of crates
    dripping pipes/steam leaks
    everyone has the same handwriting
    That's my favorite!

The suspiciously-unlit sconce is always a switch.

It is a federal offense to assemble a collection of three or more bookcases without including at least one volume which opens a secret passageway.

Folks have a penchant for placing heavy, bulky hammers in locked wooden chests.