TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taffer Tropes

Thanks for the answer Iceblade.
    I learned a new word

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Quote Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
    - Water arrows in ponds, rivers, wells, water coolers, sinks, toilets.
    I think seeing the effervescence of a gas arrow in a toilet might be off-putting... but enough that we (as players) wouldn't try to grab it? never

an addition to the commonly used phrases list: "time for a little light reading" upon entering a library.
    every once in a while, someone will use a ton of Garrett phrases from early OMs, including basic gameplay tips. that always throws me off.

if you want to lose a few hours (maybe days) of your life, check out the tvtopes.org entry for the Thief series - cataloging dozens of storytelling techniques and common happenings throughout the series

Ohgods, you linked it. I thought we might escape, but you linked it.

There goes me getting any work done today....

Chunks of gold or silver resting around nobles gardens or streets that no poor citizen ever finds but Garrett ,as if underpayed people and guards do not bother to actually examine their environment
    and gold coins or keys inside toilet holes that poor Garrett has to pick Exactly where do these people keep their valuables ,into their underwear?

HaHA! That was a great post Neb.

A drunk guard called Benny complaining about a mead stain on a carpet.

Fire arrows seem to naturally grow in fireplaces and campfires (similar to the other elemental arrows, which appear in places associated with their element).

Crypts are haunted.

Everybody's a blogger. People write journal entries about nonsensical, non-trivial issues that no sane person would never EVER put down on paper to begin with, in a manner that clearly shows that the writer expects some random stranger (i.e. you) to read it.

The worst ones are the egomaniacs that outline their plans through readables, conveniently located in a linear fashion so as to not disturb the flow of exposition, finally culminating in a readable that's so freshly written that the digital ink is still wet, and far too often ending in the words "turn and face me!". As you put down the readable, the Big Foozle and possibly some cronies are standing right behind you.

(Look, I know that the Dark engine has its limits and that readables are a good way to get things done, but would it be too hard to ask FM writers to think about what they're putting in their readables? "Is this text anything that a normal, sane person living in a not-quite modern society, would write down for whatever reason?" should be one of the basic rules of writing.)

The phrase: "I'm a thief, not a murderer." on the objective screen.
    Just once I wish that after you accidentally killed someone in an FM with this objective, instead of failing, another bonus objective would appear along the lines of "OH RIGHT, I am a murderer! Kill everyone!"

[QUOTE=jaxa;1974999]Or, the Hammers have been scaring all the local fences lately. It's just easier to intimidate some whiny pencil-pushers.

Well where else would they grow..lol

- The keepers have asked me to steal an artifact for them. It is a matter of grave importance

Yes its funny how Keepers never s**t on their own doorsteps and get garrett to do their dirty work...AND he falls for it everytime..heheh
    The beating of my fearful heart : Thump...Thump...Thump...

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria Creep View Post
    BTW: What does the word TROPE mean exactly?
    The thread is a play on http://www.tvtropes.org - it's basically a more benevolent term for a cliché.

- One or several Keepers come across as rather incompetent.

- A moss arrow crystal hanging from a ceiling or corner instead of lying on the ground.

The Architect
    - Everyone in the entire city but Garrett is a complete bleeding idiot.

- Garrett really IS the best Theif in The City, and the only one anyone ever gives work to.

- Every legend about treasures or hidden temple-like things is true.

- All temple-like things have burning torches, especially when they're abandoned, or another strange light source.

- Every combination to unlock things is written down somewhere and accessible, usually along with the advice to destroy the paper for Builder's sake!

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    it's basically a more benevolent term for a cliché.
    Actually, as it states on the main page, tropes are differ from clichés in that they aren't all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    - Everyone in the entire city but Garrett is a complete bleeding idiot.
    Nice one!

- Crypts have always got lit torches - who the heck's keeping them lit?

This speaks more to the dogged Thief fm players

Automatically searching a line of toilets for the water or moss arrow that appears every 500 toilets or so.

- Not every room light needs a switch to turn it off. Perpetual lighting is often preferable.
    - Toilets are sometimes the font of surprisingly useful paraphernalia.
    - Some spiders are BIG!
    - Some spiders, regardless of size, are capable of emitting ....some nasty, weird, zappy-type-stuff.
    - Some spiders are expert marksmen (see above).
    - Zombie vocabulary is understandably limited.

...maybe more...I'm still thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by canetoad View Post
    Automatically searching a line of toilets for the water or moss arrow that appears every 500 toilets or so.
    .... or a ring or coin

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Quote Originally Posted by JonesCrusher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
    Well where else would they grow..lol
    I still personally find it hard to believe that magical weaponry should spontaneously arise in toilets, behind sinks, water coolers, etc. What are arcane elemental energies doing lurking about in the bathroom?

Quote Originally Posted by canetoad View Post
    Though, that being said, I'm still going to look in every. damned. toilet. I come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    - Every legend about treasures or hidden temple-like things is true.
    This. I'm waiting for the FM where you start out, enter a dead-end cave or sewer, and then the mission abruptly ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    You suspect a 2016 release date.
    Man, if only....

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike
    would appear along the lines of "OH RIGHT, I am a murderer! Kill everyone!
    Why didn't I think of that!!??

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    - Crypts have always got lit torches - who the heck's keeping them lit?
    The Caretakers.

They are a eons-old, secret order of monks tasked with the ancient and terrible burden of silently infiltrating forgotten and forbidden places, performing their hallowed rites, and then departing without a trace. Their silent vigils have them ensuring that the torches are replaced, tended, and lit, that healing supplies are available in out-of-the-way places, and sometimes even boxes of ammunition are left in strategic locations.
    Last edited by The Watcher; 26th Mar 2010 at 06:40.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall banana View Post
    Actually, as it states on the main page, tropes are differ from clichés in that they aren't all bad.
    That's why I said "benevolent".

Anyway, some more:

* If Garrett is supposed to meet someone for more information/supplies, they will invariably not show up and later turn up dead.
    * If someone, usually a servant or prisoner, goes missing, they will always be found dead in a secret room somewhere.
    * Anyone who has been experimenting with necromancy or dark magic will have met a grisly fate.
    * At least one citizen in any given city district is secretly a pagan.

- A couple of FM stories I've noticed deal with some man obsessed with some supernatural thing & his wife just not understanding and complaining -- which always made me think the author was projecting his (maybe her, too) own spouse's complaining about their dromeding obsession. I actually perpetuated it a little in my own FM (though I never really had that problem).

- Tiny switches behind doors & on window-sills; niches behind banners; passages up chimneys

- Having to assemble some collection of objects to make progress, often elemental based (earth, air, wind, fire).

- There is a criminal worse than Garrett somewhere in the FM, and Garrett somehow brings him to some justice.

- Generally speaking, FM stories are set up so the player is a voyeur into all the dramas of NPCs through their letters, diaries, etc., rather than him being much a part of his own drama with NPCs.