TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taffer Tropes

-There's always a backstabbing employee plotting something in high class establishments like museums or banks
    -Security systems are usually behind one switch that is easy to access
    -Sewers have always very little water in them
    -Something important like a key to safe is always missing and vague hints are given where to find it
    -You can either use the thieves' highway or streets, never both

- drunk guards only know one song.... and don't the words to it, only the very rough melody (da-daaa-ta-da-daaa da-dum-daaaa-da-daaa.... dum-da-da-da-da-dum-da....daaaa-da-dah). [shameless plug: In JFP2, I put words to this song]
    - Kevil is a mysteriously clever lad who is always suspected when a strange or unexpected sound is heard (ie- "Is that you, Kevil?")
    - Ladders are easily mounted if jumped on from below, but if one wishes to descend a ladder, a much greater quantity of care and precision is required..... [looking at you, Lord Alan's Factory....with love and respect, of course]
    - The amount of healing given by random food items (bread, cheese, cucumbers (the normal ones), carrots, etc...), is inversely proportional to the amount of healing you could really, REALLY use right now...after BARELY surviving that haunt/zombie/spider/burrick attack.

...still thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Wille View Post
    Sewers have always very little water in them
    Might be a Thief Trope, but it's actually pretty realistic: unless all the stories, movies, documentaries and "Dirty Jobs" episodes I've ever seen/read are incorrect. I would postulate that most sewers (if measured volume-wise) are mostly empty. They are generally designed to support the maximum amount of effluent/water runoff in an urban area, but rarely stay at full capacity. Barring biblical floods of course.

Just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanret View Post
    - The amount of healing given by random food items (bread, cheese, cucumbers (the normal ones), carrots, etc...), is inversely proportional to the amount of healing you could really, REALLY use right now...after BARELY surviving that haunt/zombie/spider/burrick attack.
    LOL! Exactly. It's when you LEAST require it that you happen get the 2 loaves of bread that give you 2 health boosts in a row!

No one except Garrett has the faintest idea how to swim, climb ropes, or climb ladders--though architects in the City routinely include such things as ladders anyway, in spite of this widespread handicap.

I've always been amused at fleeing from a half dozen angry guards with swords drawn, hopping onto a nearby ladder, and staring down at all of them standing at the foot of the ladder, waving their swords around in frustration and screaming at me, "You're making me so mad!" "You'll regret this!" "Just make one mistake!"

To the unfortunately ladder-incapable, I get to look down from just out of reach and go

--Jennifer

Nice one

...also when one of them says "I think next time I'll say no to that 2nd cup of coffee"

- Almost every well has or coins in it, or a cave leading into the mansion you have to get in.

- Somebody stole something from the Keepers and you have to get it back.

- Spiders always guard nuggets.

- And Nuggets can always be found in a garden.

- Drunk guards carry a certain doll around.

HALLELUJA FOR THE DOLL

Not only drunk guards carry her around, also little pagan girls. She is mostly to be found in a children's room in a mansion, a chest in a cave, or on the floor in a shed, in a factory or sewer.
    Sometimes she's called Nora, or even Gloria's dolly (in one of Christine's missions).

Even teddybears come around once in a while, making me so HAPPY

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

For the most part the Fan Mission is superior to the origional missions due the sheer amount of time the creator has on their hands.

Not just time; LGS were working to fairly restrictive system specs 10 years ago, whereas FM authors do not need to worry so much about that, especially today, and can push the envelope a lot more than LGS could risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Not just time; LGS were working to fairly restrictive system specs 10 years ago, whereas FM authors do not need to worry so much about that, especially today, and can push the envelope a lot more than LGS could risk.
    And that's why Fan Missions are so awesome.

Don't worry about the seven year necro. I'm a trained professional.

* It's legal if you do it in a bar.
    * Everyone with the slightest bit of cash owns a comically large pair of glasses with hexagon shaped frames, but no one has the guts to wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    * If Garrett is supposed to meet someone for more information/supplies, they will invariably not show up and later turn up dead.
    I just finished playing your newest mission, if ya know what I'm sayin'.

Nice thread!

Here's another one: Everything you need is right there.
    Need a special sword to kill a demon? No need to leave the place and seek for it somewhere else. It's probably somewhere nearby.
    Need a certain amulet to open/close a portal? No problem, mate, it's right around the corner.
    Etc.
    Very few missions have Garrett search for crucial items in a different mission. Usually it's all right there. Then it's just up to the FM author to justify it.
    Last edited by marbleman; 1st May 2017 at 18:30.

Manor lords and noblemen never bother to get decent security for their homes. They always have to hire at least one Benny. Maybe they ran out of money.

(also, seeing this thread brought back 7 years later feels almost surreal)

-Architects always make sure to have a wooden support beam directly above Garrett sized windows, or at the very least a protruding wooden frame.

-There is an ancient and mysterious company that has mass produced goblets, plates, vases, and candlesticks, and has always held a monopoly on selling their products to the nobility and other factions that have occupied the City. Nobles, Hammers, Mechanists, Pagans, Mages... not even the City Watch is untouched. No one ever addresses the fact that they have the exact same gold dinnerware as their neighbors. Perhaps they are oblivious. Perhaps they fear incurring the wrath of the shadowy corporation that supplies their golden dishes. We will never know.

People have a habit of writing down their innermost thoughts and secrets, and leaving them lying around for Garrett to find

a barking dog with no way to pet it

-Hide your valuables under the elevator. No one will find them!

-All buttons and switches must be red in accordance with City law.

When your hiding in the shadows guards always say ''i'm closing in on you'' just as they turn around and walk in the opposite direction.

There's never any music playing in the elevators....not even 'greensleeves'

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    People have a habit of writing down their innermost thoughts and secrets, and leaving them lying around for Garrett to find
    They're called 'Diaries'. Lots of folk have 'em. Garrett is a burglar, he ain't supposed to be rummaging through other people's stuff. He could stumble upon Lady Van Vernon's collection of assorted..ermmm..Blackjacks.. just as easily.
    Last edited by Purgator; 2nd May 2017 at 11:57. Reason: Spellinks

Spot on, Chris.

Quickly, mission makers - a sub-plot about a husband who suspects that his wife is a thief.

Lady Van Vernon's blackjack should be a loot item

After a damn good scrubbing, why not?
    You would have to modify the loot sound to an appropriately suggestive 'Boooiiinnng', just for effect!
    Last edited by Purgator; 2nd May 2017 at 09:10.

Spot on, Chris.

Finds 'blackjack': "I'm not even gonna comment"

Somewhere, someone is preparing something along those lines, grunting in some basement and spending an ungodly amount of time writing a story, designing new models and sounds for that very purpose... not gonna be me!

Also about tropes, let's have a flawless security system with cameras and turrets, but let's have them watching over a dead end for a short yet precious amount of time. Oh and by the way, let's not have one of them watching over the switch controlling the whole security system.