TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: TDM: The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal & Baddcog (2010/04/02)

TDM: The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal & Baddcog (2010/04/02)

Enjoy your extended weekend with this monster easter egg! Heart is a full-size Dark Mod FM, the third in the Thief's Den series in which you play Farrell.

Read the notes below while you ... DOWNLOAD HERE.

Not heard from Sam since I turned down the Edridge job as too risky. Now I'm low on funds and have no choice. A gem called the Heart of Lone Salvation which they say brings good luck - but only once. Sounds foolish but who cares? Worth a fortune on the thieves' market if I can get inside Edridge Hall - and Lord Edridge is very wealthy. Sam knew him from the old days as a common lifter who made good when he found the Heart. It's a beautiful night - dank, cold; fog's rolling in; maybe Edridge's luck is about to run out.

STOP PRESS: Just discovered an outrageous logic error that never occurred to me. I have to give a spoiler:

The Heart must NOT be destroyed until you have finished all your other objectives.

If you have then sorry, it may be that you will have to noclip to finish the mission. Nobody, including myself, ever did it that way before. I'll have to find a solution and do an update in the future.

SIZE: ALLOW 5 TO 6 HOURS PLAY FIRST TIME AROUND

PERFORMANCE: Players with low end machines should play this with low settings on Hard-LoPC [difficulty level] with fewer guards. You won't miss anything. I've played it on a 2GB machine with an old FX5900 card. Lag in some areas but tolerable.

SECRETS: There are many 'secrets' in this FM. If you don't like secrets, [then to] turn off 'Found Secret' messages, create/add to autoexec.cfg in doom3/base a line:

seta mvr_show_secrets 0

FOG: Game characters may see through fog better than you. Take extra care.

MATCH: You have a slow match (smouldering splint) and a spare [match] important to this mission so don't lose them. Practice on any candle or torch that is not lit or just as a convenient light in a dark area. Ghosters can use it to relight extinguished flames. Use the drop control to put the match in your hands and move the match so the glowing end is close to the wick, etc. Press the 'Use' control to put the match back in your inventory bag.

BODIES: You need space to shoulder a body as well as drop one so you may need to drag into an open area before trying to shoulder again with the 'use' control.

NEW OBJECTIVES: New objectives go to the top of the list to make them easier to find. Sometimes more than one at once.

BRIEFING: Do not use Esc during the briefing or the cursor becomes invisible. (You can still select blind though looking for highlights.) You can skip the briefing with the left mouse button. If you miss anything you can use the back button to show it again.

pmw57 has now done an excellent walkthrough for this FM for any of you that might have missed anything.

http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/FM:TDM_T...og/walkthrough
    Last edited by Fidcal; 11th Nov 2010 at 03:37.

Clearinghouse
    Cool. Thanks Downloading!

Gone, but never forgotten
    Downloading now

They keep coming, now I have 4 FMs in the line

ALLOW 5 TO 6 HOURS PLAY FIRST TIME AROUND
    Probably 10 hours for me, as I tend to tarry.

thanks heaps, downloading now.

CONGRATS!

btw. I haven't updated darkmod to v1.1. Does this mission require update?

First mission of Thief 4

Yes, you will need TDM 1.01.

Great! I wasn't expecting anything until Goldchocobo's forthcoming missions, so to see this and stumpy's mission available now is a nice surprise. Fidcal's Chalice Of Kings was my favourite of the first batch of missions, so I can't wait to play this. I'm stuck at home working tonight and always like something to distract me from work - this'll do nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    ALLOW 5 TO 6 HOURS PLAY FIRST TIME AROUND

and

FOG

and

MATCH
    This sounds great

Been looking forward to this one, thank you!

Say goodbye to Saturday.

Wow, this is a long mission. Can someone tell me:

Where is the chapel?

EDIT:
    Never mind, I found it.

Well, that was fun, and quite a challenge. Finished in 3h36m, not including mistakes & reloads so certainly over 4 hours. 7171 loot, plenty more to find. I didn't get the 'secrets' objective - I think I found five. I ghosted most of it - for some reason I decided to KO only the noble men, don't ask me why - and managed to keep the two stealthy optional objectives. I fulfilled all the 'NEW' objectives (there were five: don't harm Martha, give Martha a healing potion, find some dirt on Edridge, lay Sam to rest and destroy the Heart), I wonder if there are any more that I didn't find? So with something like 8 more secrets and over 2000 more loot to find, this mission still has plenty more for me to do.
    Last edited by piln; 2nd Apr 2010 at 23:17.

Where is the easy setting?

We have hard and expert but nothing else?

No sorry, this is not an easy game. I had to judge what would be a fair description of the difficulties. Many players say my FMs are extra difficult so I named the level: Hard, Expert, and Expert Plus to indicate this. Just play on Hard and ask for help if you need it. In fact I have been pleasantly surprised that in beta testing I had to give very little help if any so I must be doing something right with good clues, etc. The difficulty names are just to indicate: don't expect this to be a walk in the park.

After almost 10h of playing through that gem of a mission I am still short of the book of rogues. Any hint where to find it is most welcome.

Been going at this one for a few hours and I have to say its pretty brilliant. Love the extra objectives, the way the difficulty settings were explained and how the ghosting objectives were all optional.

Excellent stuff! Now to finish it.

Thanks SJ.

Outlooker: This is a bit unfair and I wish I'd put it somewhere else or given a clue but the Book of Rogues is in the same place as Lord Edridge's research log.

Wow, that was great ! Took me about 10 hours to play through, and I only got 6916 loot ...
    And less than 8 secrets found ... . I now feel a little retarded, because I tried really hard not to miss anything.

However; story,atmosphere and thiefyness are absolutely on par with the best T1/T2/T3 FMs I know of.
    Darkmod is not only great with its game engine, but its mission authors are highly capable too.

Maybe DM should get more attention on ttlg ? It may well be missed if one just looks in thief fan missions forums - why not make an additional Darkmod fan missions forum link like "Thief Fan Mission Discussion" got at www.ttlg.com ?

Your missions are so good no thief FM player should have a chance to miss them.

Thanks Outlooker. I'm pleased you enjoyed it. Some of the secrets are bit tricky to find. There are clues for some but others just need to be ferretted out. Some are just hidden in shadow and you walk right by them!

Yes I'd have rather we remained as part of the thief FMs forums but that is up to others to decide. As I recall there were a tiny minority of objectors so the majority are missing out.

Thanks for the mission. Classic gameplay for sure. I found 8 secrets, but that's after knocking out nearly everyone. I'm stuck on finding out about Sam. I'm guessing he's in the cell between the Chapel and the Interrogation room, but can't find the key. Got a hint for me?

Do you have the heart yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Do you have the heart yet?
    Yep. Found the oath note that talks about the key after I got the Heart, but no key. Is it hidden someplace else in that room?

Should be with that note. I spent hours looking too, hehe.

Need a nudge.

From reading Cookie's note to the housekeeper, it seems there is a key to the old kitchen garden somewhere in the kitchen. Where is it?

Got the 'old lock key' from Eleanor's wardrobe. Can't find anything to open.

There are still a lot of rooms that I haven't opened yet, mainly along the corridor with the pump room. Have I missed something?

Great mission btw, thoroughly enjoying it. Thanks a lot!!

Apologies if I get the characters' names wrong, going from memory here...

A few strange things happened while I played. Upon my first time entering the small storage room near the dining room, I found a stepladder fallen on its side so close to the door that the door clips through its feet when opening/closing, and the dead body of Rodney. I NEVER TOUCHED HIM, I SWEAR! This was early on, so I thought I'd stumbled across part of a murder plot, but later events made me doubt it...

Throughout the mission I killed no one (except spiders) and knocked out a total of four people: Edridge, Conrad in the dining room, Andrew in his bedroom and a guard who seemed to have stopped his patrols permanently in an awkward spot.* Much later, on a repeat visit to the ground floor corridors, I ducked into the guards' mess hall to hide from the patrols. On the floor was the body of a guard, which confused me because I remembered hiding from the guard who patrols through here but I didn't remember KOing him or anyone else, and I certainly wouldn't leave a body right on a known patrol route, next to a door and in half light. I checked if he was alive by picking him up, and sure enough it said "corpse" so I knew I definitely didn't do it! Shortly after this, I revisited rooms where I had left unconcious bodies and saw that they had shifted a few yards away from where I'd left them and were contorted into gruesome positions (still alive though, and they 'untwist' if I frob them). This was definitely true of the guard and Conrad whom I'd left in the dining room, I think the same had happened to Edridge but I don't remember for sure, and I didn't return to Andrew's room.

Wierd, eh? It persists upon reloading my saved game (new Doom 3 session as well), so I can post screenshots and/or saves if anyone's interested. Anyone else get this too?

*: The guard went into the dining room just after I'd been in there. From the corridor I watched him heart-in-mouth as he paced past the unconcious Conrad only 2 or 3 feet away - I'd pushed him under the table. To my great relief, he didn't notice the body and continued his patrol - great Thief moment!
    Unfortunately, when he came back through the door he just stopped and stood there for about a minute before I got impatient and whacked him, and hid him under the dining table along with Conrad.

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast