TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 61116171819202122232425263136 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 FM: King's Story (released on April, 8, 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    deathshadow, look on the floor.
    Can you be more specific? There's nothing to frob - a zodiac-like rug, some normal rugs - nothing to interact with anywhere in the throne hall.

Not getting it.

Clearing - how do you insert a link in a post to a previous post - like you just did? Your good at using them and its really needed here. Thanks

I never would have made that connection in a million years, and not even certain how anyone would even figure that out on their own without being told.

That it's in a completely illegible script (or at least illegible by the time the game dithering gets done with it) doesn't help. I'm still trying to decipher half the damned words.

Because it was so illegible I figured it was meaningless drivel.

-- and I'm trying it - and how do you even know if they are registering.... I'm trying the order mouse, gazelle, boar, fox, dog, wolf since I don't see anything with mice assuming I'm hitting what is actually the right animals - lord knows I can't tell half of them apart... are you supposed to exit to the outside between animals, or move towards the center area?

Christ this is vague... and this is required to finish the level?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittal View Post
    Clearing - how do you insert a link in a post to a previous post - like you just did? Your good at using them and its really needed here. Thanks
    See the #50x link in white in the upper corner of every post? Copy/paste that. Like this post is #505, the link being

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post1981084

Of course it doesn't help the link is effectively hidden every other damned post since this forum skin is so poorly designed - but we're thief players, we're used to hunting for **** you can't see.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    See the #50x link in white in the upper corner of every post? Copy/paste that. Like this post is #505, the link being

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post1981084
    Excellent - thanks deathshadow!

Stick with the mouse until you hear and see a change - then I exited the circle on the outside and moved to the next animal

I agree about not making the connection but the result reward is quite neat.

Clearinghouse
    Did you read carefully the verse?
    Stand on the first animal and wait for some seconds (I think 3 sec).

Did you read carefully the verse?
    Stand on the first animal and wait for some seconds (I think 3 sec).
    I tried to - and I'm trying to again and I can't make out half the words... It looks like poorly translated gibberish in some shit font. I can't make heads nor tails of it and was barely able to decipher the animal names (assuming I even got those right)

That's stored as a flat .txt file, right? Can't read it in game - go straight to the bloody file and see if it makes any sense...

Nope - malfing .bin files

Lemme guess, those of you who got it thought Myst was actually a good game?

Deathshadow - I have edited my previous post that may help:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post1981078

Ok, after about fifteen seconds on each it played a twinkly sound - didn't see any 'change' though - is there supposed to be a visual effect too? Ooh, it opens a door - big deal.

Of course I took the vial and used it on the tincture - now what? I figued maybe it went on that pedastal in angers room but I still can't get that to do a damned thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dainem View Post
    @ Elusive one:
    spoiler:
    Do you have used the music code in the secret room at angerīs place? There you have to put the mixture into the metallic form, than put the record into the gramophone and play it with angerīs baton.
    Does absolutely nothing here... The mixture will not work on that oddball cube - though I'm wondering if it even mixed since the name didn't change and you can keep using it and getting that 'tinkle' noise

Anger's Room Puzzle after Entering Musical Code

If you used the "green grotto water" on the Lupine Tincture in the Dr's room you should now have a "Mixture" to use on the block shaped stone in the Anger's Room puzzle. In addition you need a record - and Anger's baton - both to use on the gramophone.

The record's location is wedged in a picture in a dressing room off Rm 25 (on Largo), (on Allegro, hanging on the wall behind the gramophone). The baton/wand was dropped by Anger in the Singer Hall.
    Last edited by Sagittal; 16th Apr 2010 at 08:37.

If you used the "green grotto water" on the tincture in the Dr's room you should have the right mixture for the puzzle. In addition you need a record - and Anger's baton both to use on the gramophone.
    'mixed' (not that there's any real indication other than the sound of someone pissing in a pot of it being "mixed"), does not work. Cannot use it on that metal cube thing in anger's hidden room

I did notice that you can attempt to mix it more than once - first time tinkle, second time no noise, lather, rinse, repeat.

But even so, doesn't work. Am I just playing a broken copy? (I suspect so since that 'arrow' list seems to not have anything at those locations!)

I tell you these "puzzles" are doing a great job of sucking any fun out of this one - especially given how vague any form of 'instruction' is. Last time I was this frustrated by a game it was Kings Quest V (randomly clicking on the screen blindly in the hope it will do something).

I think I'm done with this one - I keep posting I'm going to end up saying what I REALLY think, and that will get me banned.

Clearinghouse
    This is puzzle mission, but wasn't too difficult for me.

This is puzzle mission, but wasn't too difficult for me.
    That's the thing, I usually LIKE puzzle missions - but at least usually puzzle missions will TELL YOU what's a puzzle.

Though I'm really wondering if a lot of it is some weird comprehension issues... like I'm still trying to figure out what "color causing a fright" even means. It's like the writer was trying to sound profound, and failed MISERABLY. I can only assume the bad engrish transratron is what's nebfering me so much.

Clearinghouse
    Maybe this mission demands a different kind of logic than most other FMs.
    Last edited by clearing; 15th Apr 2010 at 07:51.

To all who complain about difficulty: what difficulty you're playing on? I mean if someone plays on Largo and complains about difficulty it's strange.

rant

Besides Thief FMs I play other games quite often, and honestly, this FM REALLY is medium in terms of difficulty if compared with many action/adventure games I played. You people just don't know what a hard game is F.e. I don't think that puzzles/deciding about "what's next" and "where should I go now" in Arx Fatalis is any easier. If you want to check what a hard game really is, try Siren1/2 (a surhor based on sneaking/puzzles). After all, it may be only fair that we got Bioshock, TDS, and DeusEx2 as they came off, because with such urge to get immediate rewards, indisposition for proper exploration, and absence of patience (and that's on TTLG (!)), we really deserved them.

/rant

Just to let you know: yes, there is NO throne in Neuschwanstein's Throne hall.
    Reasons are mysterious. There is an opinion that Ludwig didn't have enough time to create as majestic throne as he wished (thanks a lot for that!). And there is another opinion: he didn't imagine himself an earth Lord, but the Lord of somewhat between earht and Heavens. God or semi-God shouldn't has a throne on the earth.
    deathshadow, seems like you have some critical scripts bugs. If you use Windows 7 32-bit, you should start the game in XP-SP3 compartible mode.
    For all players: dont'be so Thief-minded! Yes, it's our favourite game, but it was boring to play by the same rules for more than 10 years. It's time to change something, at least from time to time.
    Just chess changed its rules over centuries.
    If you are completely disagree, you have a good option not to play any unusual.
    Anyway, if any of you wants to say what he/she is REALLY think without being banned, just PM me. It's easy and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFantom
    I also remember UnKillable Cat being annoyed by the lock on the front gate of the castle
    You are mistaken. I never even got that far to get annoyed by it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 242
    Besides Thief FMs I play other games quite often, and honestly, this FM REALLY is medium in terms of difficulty if compared with many action/adventure games I played. You people just don't know what a hard game is
    (counter-rant)

I certainly do, and I've learned to spot them from a mile away, which is why I ignore a lot of the games that are released every year. Not because they're too hard for me, but because their levels of difficulty are only placed there to artificially add content to an otherwise weak game. (Hint: If a game has unlockable difficulty modes, you have a game that uses difficulty as a crutch.)

Nevertheless, I play some "hard" games here and there, but those games usually either have a really strong lure to drag me in, or promise to reward me handsomely for my effort. Like I've said before, King's Story fails on the first, while I'm not in a position to comment on the second...though at a glance it does appears it fails there as well. From what I see, the only Thief FM's that are equal to (or harder) than KS in difficulty are the Gauntlet FM's and GORT's infamous Rebellion Of The Builder, possibly Ruins of Originia as well.

What I would consider "hard" games I've played through are the DROD series (there are some real puzzles there for you), the Eye Of The Beholder trilogy (don't need an automap) and the Rick Dangerous games...speaking of that, any game that is solely based on you memorizing a series of events to stay alive is also devoid of real content.

Quote Originally Posted by 242
    After all, it may be only fair that we got Bioshock, TDS, and DeusEx2 as they came off, because with such urge to get immediate rewards, indisposition for proper exploration, and absence of patience (and that's on TTLG (!)), we really deserved them.
    You are wrong. We certainly did not deserve to get these games. They are forced upon us because unchallenging games sell. For years, computer games had a stigma of being unforgiving and challenging, but when the gaming industry went mainstream with the PS2 and the internet, greedy publishers saw a need to sell more copies of their (crappy) games. Whatever idea works to sell more units, they ran with it. So out went the difficulty, along with many other vital elements. No wonder the gaming industry is in such dire straits: We see almost nothing these days but "me too"-clones of the latest bestseller, with virtually nothing added to them except a higher production value. Innovation and variety has been pushed out of the picture so that brand-name exploitation can thrive, as your game examples clearly show, they're all either watered-down sequels or remakes of earlier titles.

Nothing is sacred to game publishers these days. As we speak, "remakes" of old classics such as Syndicate and X-Com are in development, and nobody that actually remembers those games is amused by that fact, because any idiot can see what they'll end up like. Syndicate will be just another Call of Duty wannabe in a cyberpunk setting, while X-Com will be another System Shoc...ahem, Bioshock clone.

But to name a game series that is exactly what you describe as being missing in modern games, there are the Gothic games by Piranha Bytes. They are tough, they encourage exploration and it takes a while to master them. So all is not lost...yet.

(end counter-rant)

This is an absolutely magnificent fan mission. Yes! It is an exploring, savoring, thinking mission!!! And, such beautiful music to sooth frustrations as one plays along. Thieves who like to charge into missions battling and racing the clock would be wise to heed the advice already given to first play at the lowest level to "learn the lay of the land" and NOT find fault because the expert level is too demanding. Looking forward to more missions like this. Thank you, Zontik, for all your talent and hard work.

This is an absolutely magnificent fan mission. Yes! It is an exploring, savoring, thinking mission!!!
    I agree and wish to thank Zontik for the amazing job he has done with this mission.

It was not without some bugs and a lot of frustration but in the end it was worth it to experience this beautiful mission. I'm now starting for the third time; first playthrough I was completely baffled a few times but always found an answer here on the forums. I still need to find the slow fall potion and moss arrows in the first part and want to try to achieve the happy ending.

A possible bug I've found - if you reload the OMs during King's Story then return to it, all saved games are gone. This has happened twice, hence the replays.

In the end I believe there were only two doors that I hadn't opened - the parlour and the shoe room, but as these are accessed via a different route, I don't think it was relevant. I haven't found any easter eggs yet, but will try next time round. I had problems with the low book in the library. As other players have said, could briefly make it active but couldn't do anything else with it.

Where others had problems with or did not enjoy the first mission, I breezed through it. The keep to the path objective was logical in that it meant instant death if you didn't. Many events and discoveries on the first mission only became apparent on the second playthrough, with the benefit of having played the second mission. First time through, I had forgotten about the hat, clothes and book in the lair near the waterfall. Not mission critical, but very satisfying to see the pieces of the story fall into place.

On the whole, I give the mission a big thumbs up for it's beauty, story and entertainment value which far outweighed the few frustrations that accompanied such an ambitious project.

Now if someone could give me explicit instructions on how to find all the secrets and the happy ending, I'll be really happy.

Quote Originally Posted by canetoad View Post
    Now if someone could give me explicit instructions on how to find all the secrets and the happy ending, I'll be really happy.
    All in due time

I actually finished the game! A poor showing of $2518 out of $3333 5 hrs. 41 min. with 5 secrets found.

Only one puzzle I figured out on my own. The "ark".
    Using trial and error the potion came together. Actually everything was trial and error, reload, reload, reload, reboot, etc.

Couldn't have finished it without the valuable help of these good taffers. After finishing the game I read through the 20 page posting and realized the same questions were being asked again, and again.

To me, it played like an old Gabriel Knight game, or Gothic, etc., where you have to join things together to complete a puzzle. Took away the good old Thief feel.

It stands alone on its own merit; intelligently and precisely constructed and a beauty to behold.

Canetoad, did you ever get the following doors unlocked?

- door in East Wing leading into the room you can rope arrow up to near the start
    - door between Rm 25 and Rm 22 (In Rm 25 the door's covered by a curtain I think)
    - door at top of south tower - with ladder nearby. Must go through to the Singer Hall gallery.

No key or lockpick I had worked on them.

Regarding the book: Were you able to read the title? M. Scrench. "Patriot"
    Means little to me but wondered if we all see the same?
    Maybe some fellow taffer will crack it

- door in East Wing leading into the room you can rope arrow up to near the start
    - door between Rm 25 and Rm 22 (In Rm 25 the door's covered by a curtain I think)
    - door at top of south tower - with ladder nearby. Must go through to the Singer Hall gallery.

No key or lockpick I had worked on them.
    If you are playing on an easier level, some of the doors have a key for them.

Not all of them though.

King's Bedroom - Door behind King's Office
    2x Rooms on the ground level with Music notes have no key either.

I was never able to unlock that one myself, but someone else eventually opened it for me.

Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 61116171819202122232425263136 ... LastLast