TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 61116212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 FM: King's Story (released on April, 8, 2010)

Any way to make this a smaller download or chop it up into bite sized bits?

so far I've put about eight and a half hours into this on Largo and I'm having a whale of a time

it's a little obscure in places and some of the puzzles for the easter eggs are positively fiendish especially the musical scale lock

however I now feel the need to ask for assistance as I can't find Mr Anger to deal with him, I've a sneaking suspicion I know where he must be but there's a door that won't frob in the way

and the SOB told me I was insignificant! and then THE B*STARD SMIRKED AT ME, SOB is soooo gonna pay big style for that little slight, BJ'ing with extreme prejudice is due .....just as soon as I find him

the bride is apparently dead, which I'll try and do something about in another run through

I've found a piece of Mr Anger and elicited a scream from it, which I assume has done him no good whatsoever serves him right for smirking ... insignificant! .... I'll show you insignificant

I've even made a mixture, put it on a podium and put a record in a record player in a secret room but I can't get it to play, is it supposed to ?

I fount the highest place in the castle but the person there doesn't want to talk

I found the wedding rings and the special water

I even have Mr Angers baton but I can't seem to find a use for it

I've a feeling I'm missing something fairly major but I am taffed if I can spot what it is

and while I'm at it there's a goblet at the top of the water tower that I can't get at, any suggestions gratefully received

Lawviz, I told you wrong ! Sorry !

For the nudge you DO need to use the notes in combination. I hadn't fully realised how I had got there before. I will send you a PM and will edit my previous post.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    I even have Mr Angers baton but I can't seem to find a use for it
    Try to use baton on the gramophone.

thanks clearing

--EDIT--

little over eight and a half hours and six secrets

not such a smiley git now are you Mr Anger
    Last edited by Esme; 21st Apr 2010 at 12:44.

I just finished this mission, and given the commentary and criticisms expressed by a number of people in this thread, I wanted to give my two cents worth while it's fresh.

I'm absolutely dumbstruck by how amazing this mission is. I spent nearly 7 hours on mission 2, and I don't think I've ever spent longer playing a single Thief mission before in over ten years of playing Thief--and for me, that's a great thing!

There's so much detail in these missions, so much care and attention to even the smallest things. For example, I loved the animations of the civilian AI as they went about their business--the gardener watering the trees in the courtyard, the kitchen maid washing dishes, the engineer and the chamberlain working on the fallen dumbwaiter--I could really believe these were people going about their daily lives, actually doing things. That's one thing Thief has always lacked: AI just tend to stand there, muttering to themselves, not really doing anything, or they just walk around aimlessly, not doing anything. The AI in mission 2 felt like they were real living people.

I also very much enjoyed the puzzles and the new ways that old Thief standards were re-imagined. Someone previously commented that they hated the lock on the front gate not picking like a normal lock, but I found that to be refreshing. Lock picking, though a staple in Thief missions, isn't really all that interesting by itself. Turning that on its head and making lock picking more like a puzzle created an interesting challenge, and reminded me of similar puzzles in adventure games (in fact, there's a very similar style lock picking puzzle in the recently released--and awesomely done--Dark Fall: Lost Souls, the third installment in the Dark Fall horror adventure game series).

I've also seen a number of people criticize this FM for being way too difficult, and even with most other FM's I usually end up here in the forums at some point looking for help because I'm stuck, so you'd think I'd have trouble with this one, too, then. Oddly, even though I played on Largo, I only had to do that twice with this FM, and both were very minor things (the first was when I needed help finding the first rope arrow in mission 2--and the solution to that was also very clever and unusual--and the second was when I was stuck and needed help with what to do next, which happened to be the part where the verse about the mouse came in). Maybe it's because I'm an adventure game junkie, so I'm used to the type of thinking that Zontik seemed to have in mind with these puzzles, but I found them to be challenging, enjoyable, but not so hard I couldn't figure them out in due time.

I did have to go back to an earlier save once and rearrange some bodies I'd hidden because I failed the "No bodies found" objective. I'm the kind of player that likes to knock out pretty much everyone I come across, so I had a *lot* of bodies to deal with, but my strategy was to find a handful of really really good hiding places and hide as many bodies in each spot as I could fit. I kept a list of all the places I'd hidden bodies so that if I failed that objective at any point, all I'd have to do is go back to an earlier save and revisit the spots on my list, starting with the ones I thought were more likely to be a problem, and move the bodies accordingly. Luckily, I only had to do this once, in spite of having knocked out a total of 37 people according to my ending stats. :-)

In all, I found this mission to be jaw-droppingly beautiful, excellently crafted, and thoroughly enjoyable. It also had a strong impact on me for another reason--like Zontik apparently is, I'm also a Ludwig "fan." I've had a soft spot for King Ludwig II and for Neuschwanstein for a long, long time. I own several biographies of Ludwig, I even named one of my cats Ludwig, and one of my "bucket list" goals is to see Neuschwanstein in person before I die. My love of Ludwig is also what lead me to study German in college for my foreign language requirement, and I used to say Neuschwanstein was my castle, no matter whose name was actually on the deed. ;-) At the beginning of mission 2, standing at the front gate looking up at the vastness of Neuschwanstein, I had tears in my eyes. I may never see her in person, but at least I can visit her in the Thief universe anytime I want. Thank you, Zontik!

--Jennifer

Hi Taffers,

Can someone please clue me as to the whereabouts of the throne room key? Or another way in?
    Great, awesome FM. Hard!!! I've read all the thread, but can't remember everything.

Thanxs,

Hope Vincent

Hi Hope Vincent,

There is no key to the Throne Hall - you should find the doors unlocked when you reach the right point in the mission.

Hi all,
    Really impressed with this mission graphically, some of the tasks I had to look up this thread, but the cutscenes make up for the hard work....but sadly, as soon as I see the throne room scene....thief bleeps then crashes.

I've tried reloading from several savegames, dropping the reolsution etc.....no joy, as soon as the king says'go find her' it's fade to black and crash. I'm running Windows XP sp3 and have a dual core, but have applied the multithreading taffer fix, and all other FMs go ok.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I had several issues with crashing throughout the mission, and I think I figured out what the problem was (for me, anyway), though I have no idea why.

For me, the game crashed to the desktop during almost every conversation. At first, I thought it must be an issue with the audio, and I even took the contents of the entire Snd folder and moved them so the mission would run without playing any of the voiceovers, but that didn't help.

After some further experimentation, I finally figured it out--it was the subtitles that play during the conversations that caused all my crashes. The text for these subtitles can be found in the Books folder, so every time I experienced a crash, I'd go to the Books folder, find the .str file for that conversation (while trying very hard not to accidentally read anything that might be a spoiler), I'd read the conversation so I'd know what was being said, and then I'd rename that particular file. Then, when I played the mission again, the conversation would run smoothly without the subtitles and without crashing.

I even had this issue during the part where I had to trapp the doctor. A timer is supposed to count down 60 seconds on the screen while you do what you have to do, but every time I ran through this, it crashed. The timer text is also in the Books folder, so I renamed it and that sequence played fine without crashes (I didn't get an on-screen timer, though, so I just had to hurry and hope my time wouldn't run out).

I don't know why these string files would cause crashes like that. They're precisely timed to match the timing of the conversations, and all I can guess is that something about the time triggering causes issues on some systems. Getting rid of those string files completely fixed the problem for me.

--Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Lawviz View Post
    last but not least, the gold goblet I shot through the door/gate on the tower is nowhere to be found, searched everywhere..maybe it shattered when it fell on the ground?
    It's dependent on the angle and how far back you pull the arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFantom View Post
    I did have to go back to an earlier save once and rearrange some bodies I'd hidden because I failed the "No bodies found" objective. I'm the kind of player that likes to knock out pretty much everyone I come across, so I had a *lot* of bodies to deal with, but my strategy was to find a handful of really really good hiding places and hide as many bodies in each spot as I could fit.
    same here...after I had to start again ( because I failed that objective with no good save..) I made a lot of effort in hiding the bodies ..
    I had a pile of them up the ladder in the room with the telescope
    the ovens in the kitchen where allso great..
    I allso had some piles on the rafters that you use to rope up to the ventilationshafts

and to my suprise... at some point I got the objective failed again .. went back one save and I found that one of the guards was lying on the floor in the middle of the hallway ..
    so I took him up again and I noticed that some of my "victims"from the bottom of the pile were gone ( servants?? ).. I suppose they are scripted to respawn at another place after one of the cutscenes. so my guess is that the "taking out the bodies" made my guard fall down
    so I ended up "unpiling" them

I managed to miss 9 (!) secrets, but I think I was on the trail of one of them and I never figured it out:

In the throne room, there are four statues of guards--two on the lower level, two on the upper level. I always search around statues for loot and hidden switches, and at one point while I was clicking around the base of one of the statues on the lower level, he suddenly moved. He had been standing with his sword drawn in a fighting stance, but something I clicked caused him to shift into a neutral position with his sword down at his side. I tried to reproduce this on the other statues, but I couldn't get any of them to move, and I couldn't repeat it on the same statue, either.

What was the trick to this?

--Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer, but sadly that did not work for me...I even went to the point of using filemon from sysinternals (free..not a plug)..to see what the last file loaded was...no joy.

This PC does have an Nvidia in it, and I switched off all fogging, but no....does anyone have a method of skipping cutscenes? or maybe a save game of after the throne room scene I could have?

Bri

Hi WhiteFantom, the moving statue was nothing but a trick to scare us apparently - and nothing more - although it did its job well!

Have you been to the barrel cellar? There are 2 secrets there - take a look at the pink flower box outside and a tell-tale outline on the right wall when you get to the cellar itself

Quote Originally Posted by Hairlesshebald View Post
    Thanks Jennifer, but sadly that did not work for me...I even went to the point of using filemon from sysinternals (free..not a plug)..to see what the last file loaded was...no joy.

This PC does have an Nvidia in it, and I switched off all fogging, but no....does anyone have a method of skipping cutscenes? or maybe a save game of after the throne room scene I could have?

Bri

The file for the subtitles during the wedding cut scene is located in Thief 2\books\Wedding.str. As soon as this cut scene ends, there is a conversation between Garrett and Gabriel, and the subtitles for that conversation are in Thief 2\books\Gabe2.str. Try either renaming both of these or moving them to your desktop and then try the mission again.

--Jennifer

I did have a go at that, and even renamed the entire books folder, but maybe it's something to do with the PC/video card I think. It's a new one and took some effort to get XP on it due to the lack of a native floppy drive (but I did keep it to XP SP2 until thief 2 was installed).

Thanks very much for at least giving me the time...I haven't done much with Dromed and the T3 editor...how did you know that gabe2.str was next?..none of my stuff showed up that!

Bri

Hi Again Taffers,

Went to visit the princess after my last post. Finally finished after 7 1/2 hrs. Wonderful FM, although, I could never have finished without help. My imagination is nowhere near yours, Zontik. However, I really enjoy yours--all your FM's are very enjoyable. Please keep building them. Getting rid of the werewolf wasn't too hard. I just kept running and jumping onto crates and the Princess helped me.

Thanxs Again,

Hope Vincent

Stumped again. I've read the note to the King from W. Anger and I got Anger's spare key to his room. But I've read here several people refer to a "candle key." What and where is that?

Also, I've been to Anger's room but found no secret but clearly there is one. Once I'm in his room what do I do? I've looked (and clicked) all over the room.

I've been in the doctor's room, I think, and read his note about the King's condition but I have not yet encountered the doctor. Have I missed something? I keep reading here about meeting him in the stables or near a horse or something but I don't even have a key for that place.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairlesshebald View Post
    how did you know that gabe2.str was next?..none of my stuff showed up that!

Bri
    I've already finished the mission, so I knew which conversation came right after the wedding cut scene. And I knew which file it was because I had to track it down and rename it myself when I hit that point in the mission because my crashing issues apparently were caused by something to do with these subtitles. So I'm not psychic, I've just come from the school of hard knocks. ;-)

Sorry to hear the solution to my problem doesn't seem to be the solution to yours, though. :-(

--Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittal View Post
    Hi WhiteFantom, the moving statue was nothing but a trick to scare us apparently - and nothing more - although it did its job well!

Have you been to the barrel cellar? There are 2 secrets there - take a look at the pink flower box outside and a tell-tale outline on the right wall when you get to the cellar itself

I'd been to the cellar, but I never noticed what you mentioned before, so that was one of the secrets I'd missed, anyway. I also found another thanks to a spoiler in this thread, but that still leaves seven secrets I know nothing about. I rarely replay missions once I've finished them, but I think this one's going to be an exception. :-)

--Jennifer

@glwhalen:

hint:the candle key is mentioned in the cutscene about taking the crown..
    spoi"l: check the candles in the study.. one of them is not burning

angers room: check his bedroom, coming in on your left hand

the doctor... you will get the key and gonna see the doctor later on.. after another cutscene

confused:
    so I took him up again and I noticed that some of my "victims"from the bottom of the pile were gone ( servants?? ).. I suppose they are scripted to respawn at another place after one of the cutscenes. so my guess is that the "taking out the bodies" made my guard fall down
    so I ended up "unpiling" them [/QUOTE]

I noticed my pile was lighter when I began to stack the second round of guards. I was under the impression, after lengthy discussion on this forum that it was not possible to "awaken" unconscious AI...!

Quote Originally Posted by nightshifter View Post
    @glwhalen:

hint:the candle key is mentioned in the cutscene about taking the crown..
    spoi"l: check the candles in the study.. one of them is not burning

angers room: check his bedroom, coming in on your left hand

the doctor... you will get the key and gonna see the doctor later on.. after another cutscene
    Still confused. Is the cutscene you mention the one with Gabriel? I don't remember any mention of such a key. Which study? The one where I am at the end of the cutscene with Gabriel?

Also there is absolutely nothing in Anger's room I can find based on your direction. If by bedroom you mean his actual bedroom--the room with the bed in it--I have covered every inch on the left and clicked all over the place. Nothing there to the left but a wall, window, a curtain, and floor. If you mean the room just outside of his bedroom--the one with the three coat hooks and a window--nothing I can find there either. I thought maybe one of the hooks was frobbable but none are.

You may need to be a bit more specific. To be honest this mission may be the first I quit playing before finishing. A shame but I can't enjoy the story because I'm constantly having to come here for help.

Quote Originally Posted by 10Brooklyn01 View Post
    confused:
    so I ended up "unpiling" them
    I noticed my pile was lighter when I began to stack the second round of guards. I was under the impression, after lengthy discussion on this forum that it was not possible to "awaken" unconscious AI...! [/QUOTE]

don't know about awaking the unconsious, but I did notice that a lot of the AI are shoved ( teleported) back and forth during the mission f.e. in the cutscenes..( camvatorssequences) so maybe they are teleported somewhere else and lay there dreaming their sweet dreams

Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 61116212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast