TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141924293439 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 FM: King's Story (released on April, 8, 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Dainem View Post
    Thanks!
    Is there a GUI version of the new ddfix?

@ kin: No, but Iīm using the old ddfixgui.exe. Seems to work.

Thanks Dainem. But, I can't find the cancan music score - I have looked all over. Also, How do I get into the room off the King's bedroom /crown room? and how do I get into the throne room? and where do I find the gramophone record? Looked all around room 25 adjacent rooms to no avail. When I have all the ingredients for stopping Anger, i will return to his room and find the elevator switch. Actually, getting a bit depressed with this now.........

Help please.

Been to the bloodied bride's room, received the stable key and seen cut scene where doctor says 'I have to treat the horse.'

Now I go to the stables, use the brown boot polish on the white horse, doctor arrives and a countdown starts.

What am I supposed to do here?

On Edit: I've just had an idea that could ease much of the frustration. What if all the people stuck in this mission re-started on the easiest level and played through at the same time, using a new thread to post questions and help. Anyone?

Clearinghouse
    canetoad, lock the doctor (while he's distracted).

@ Imhotep:
    spoiler:
    The book can be found on a bookshelf in the library. And you have to go to Angerīs room. Otherwise the misison will not continue. Then you have changed the books the door to the attic will open.

@ canetoad: and donīt forget to grab the key from the bag.

Btw: I got a bug while capturing the doctor: the keys automatically went to my inventory. Without frobbing the bag. my girlfriend also had this "feature."

Thanks Clearing. Off to do that now.

Locked the doctor in the stables, but the countdown continues until Fail Objective.

OK, grabbed the doctors key. Thanks Dainem.
    Last edited by canetoad; 10th Apr 2010 at 13:06.

quakis:
    you CAN get back to the upper level of Throne Hall without KOing the guards, if you have a rope arrow. Some surfaces above are wooden (special for noKO players).
    BTW, I'm impressed with your patience. Mission can be finished without KO anybody, but it's hard to imagine somebody make it in his/her FIRST walkthrough!! Congratulations.
    SneakyJack
    and others who has problems with entering the balcony.
    1. When you're on the ledge, come to the balcony as close as possible.
    2. Do about a half step back.
    3. Turn about 5-10 degrees to the left.
    4. Mantle!
    If it doesn't work, just try again with another length of your half-step back. It works!
    You can have problems with jumping over the balcony on slow computers. This method is PC-independent.
    For those who need walkthrough:
    I don't think it's a good idea to put complete walkthrough into the mission ZIP. I'll tell you frankly: let me be a bit egoistic. After 4 years of making FM I want at least short feedback like this forum...
    Would you post here if you have your pocket guide to finish mission as soon as possible? I doubt...
    It's always interesting (yes, yes, just curious!) to know how players deal with obstacles. But if there are no obstacles, who will care?
    At last, you have my email and PM account to ask questions directly. I didn't want to put anybody into frustration, but see... I like puzzles. To solve and to give.
    It's a game.
    I think walkthrough will appear sooner or later, but not right now. Sorry.
    It would be wonderful if somebody write it and send it to me for checking and widing. If no... well, one day I will take care myself, but I find it... wrong. Just IMO. I think players know better what to do and how.
    BTW, your forced feedback gives me a lot of information what I did wrong and what could be done better.
    Yandros,
    thanks for solving this Win7 32-bit puzzle. I hope this extended test will be useful somehow.
    For all who has problem with 'not leaving the path' in mission 1:
    As I can see, nobody noticed, so I should reveal this secret.
    If you see wolf's tracks on the rocks (they are quite hard to be seen) OR if you hear wolf's voice - you're on the right way! Wolf's tracks and voice show you the direction to go in some problematic points.
    Has sense before camvator only.
    Dainem, this 'feature' looks like next Win7/32 bug. (NVItemGiver script used.) You can try this XP-SP3 compartibility trick, but I'm not sure how it will affect saved games. Some things probably won't change.

@ Sneakyjack
    Odd how it always fails on you. I'm sure you've tried mantling the edge of the balcony and crouch-dropping down?

Otherwise, if you remember where it is, go to the brides room and get the ballet shoes to the left when you enter (you'll need to click twice) and then use them to wear them. They pretty much nulify all surface sounds and work wonders. Marble is now carpet!

Edit: ANOTHER PAGE!!

@ Zontik
    Didn't know about those beams. Otherwise, the only time I was seen was when I ran past them and got away from those guards as quickly as possible. But no knockouts overall in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dainem View Post
    @ kin: No, but Iīm using the old ddfixgui.exe. Seems to work.
    Ok thanks now it works perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Zontik View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea to put complete walkthrough into the mission ZIP. I'll tell you frankly: let me be a bit egoistic. After 4 years of making FM I want at least short feedback like this forum...
    Would you post here if you have your pocket guide to finish mission as soon as possible? I doubt...
    Here is my feedback on your mission: Its beautiful but the gameplay is frustrating, confusing and the pace of the mission is broken at best. Had I been given a walkthrough, a no doubt praise filled review would have already hit the review and discussion thread and I definitely would have posted how much I enjoyed the mission along with constructive comments from a player's perspective in the missions thread. I would have commented either way and I know many others would have too - you would have gotten your feedback.

After 4 years of making a fan mission you should no doubt be disappointed with how difficult your mission is and how many people are completely stuck or have given up out of frustration just in this thread alone. Throwing people into a pool without teaching them how to swim and expecting them to get a positive experience out of it is a misguided thought process at best. As it stands I really don't have any desire to revisit this mission, and your comment of how unlikely it is that you'll release a walkthrough for those of us that would enjoy one just furthers my distaste for giving it another shot. I've played nearly every fan mission released (the more complicated ones like T2X and Mission X multiple times) and I've never had nearly as much trouble proceeding in any of them. Take the lock on the gate at the end of mission one for example. A lock that resets itself when the wrong lockpick is used and had me cursing and ready to throw my keyboard out the window. A design move that seemed to only hinder gameplay and cause frustration with no reward.

Thank you for the mission - but I fear your "author" perspective has clouded your "player" judgment. Large portions of this mission set are overly complicated, badly paced, confusing, not well explained and just not fun. The parts that are, however, are great.

Clearinghouse
    To all who is playing this mission: slow down! (like Broken Triad, Seven Sisters, Rocksbourg etc). Take your time. Enjoy the architecture, the atmosphere, the plot. Read clues you come across.

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    Read clues you come across.
    I have to disagree. There are many situations where you have no clue what to do next. (why going back to the brideīs room? Why does the door to the attic open? Why is the doctor only coming when the horse is getting painted? How shall you know the door to the throne room has opened?)

Finished the Overture on Largo.

It's simply outstanding, liked every second of it, and scenery was gorgeous. The camvator was nice. Great atmosphere and quite long and interesting travel to the castle, imbuing the feeling of its solitude. A big design achievement definitely.

At first, when I encountered the castle from the distance I though it was just a small model which I wouldn't be able to draw near

It wasn't exactly hard by my standards, but challenging. I like alpinism in Thief
    Perhaps not for the people who are used to easy and straightforward missions, but for those who like unusual and not so easy stuff it's a welcome gift.

Haven't found the secret though, despite extensive search.

PS: It's all about the 1st mission only.
    Last edited by 242; 10th Apr 2010 at 14:14.

Clearinghouse
    Dainem,
    example
    why going back to the brideīs room?
    But there is a clue.
    You probably missed it in Anger's apartments, lower level. Get there and send the elevator up, then look under it. It's a list of persons you have to check. You should know where to find them. And one person is more suspect than anothers...
    etc

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    Haven't found the secret though, despite extensive search.
    Where guard is lighting torches, climb vines to chest left by Gabriel.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    Take the lock on the gate at the end of mission one for example. A lock that resets itself when the wrong lockpick is used and had me cursing and ready to throw my keyboard out the window. A design move that seemed to only hinder gameplay and cause frustration with no reward.
    I for one welcome such sophistication. Come on, it wasn't really hard to figure out and unlock the gate, a small challenge that's all.

If by "easy to figure out" you mean "absolutely no clue given other than 5-10 wasted minutes on trial and error" then you are correct. Lockpicking itself is already overused and brings many missions to a crawl - that lock was just silly. Getting a few stages in only to have it reset was frustrating, and alot of us want to enjoy the mission but don't have hours at a time to play through it.

I understand enjoying a challenge, but that is what difficulty levels are for. I'd go out on a limb to say that this mission on the easiest difficulty is far harder than most on expert. Well, other than ROTB of course Not because of too many guards or death - but because of frustrating gameplay design decisions.

Stuck once more. Part 1 Alegro(? 3rd option)

Near what I think is the dummy front entrance there is an open window. I made some screenshots from this game including this but where do they go? Keybinds show -_ keys and I've been pressing - and thought I saw a flicker but no new files in my Thief folder except gamesaves. Damn. Anyway, There is a vine. I have climbed it to different heights and tried mantling and jump mantling and mantling followed by crouch into the window but without success. 30, 40, 50 attempts. My screenshot shows a clear view practically inside the window, lined up and with Garrett mantle gasping. I can't get any closer.

Gave up on that and proceeded round to the west. Got a back door key. But where is the back door? The door there is the west door and appears to be a dummy door. Proceeded around to a dead end almost at the north side. Unclimbable boulder blocks the way. Multiple attempts but not even a mantle gasp to encourage me.

Use a slow fall potion to drop down to a ledge that is a trap.

Reload. All the way back and no door. Almost at the north side from the other direction but no door..

The views of and from the castle are beautiful but the gameplay is a series of frustrations for the last hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    Stuck again and forum search is broken as well as thread search. Just hangs.

Largo difficulty. Part 1. Still in mountains.

Just after the waterfall I find a way up. I'm channelled to a long jump to cave but there is a tree in the way. I have no rope arrow and cannot make the jump nor anywhere near it. I doubt I could do it even if there were no tree. The only rope I had I had to use and I could not retrieve it.

Behind the waterfall I thought I saw a recess but was unable to reach it against the current. Maybe a rope there? Also found a door and room (werewolf's?) but found nothing in it of use. Did I miss something?
    That's where I'm at, sans the place to be where I'm channeled next. I recall someone saying use the sword on the tree, but I have to get there first!

Alright, I need help hopefully for the last time (think I'm near the end here):
    I'm at the spot where I have to break through the door that leads to the part of the castle which is under construction. I see a chisel and a maul on the ground which I can't use. I was thinking "HEY, I have that werewolf potion, I could just turn into a monster and bust the door down!"...unfortunately Garrett did not agree with my line of thinking. I'm completely out of ideas, anyone know what I should be looking for?

quakis
    the only time I was seen
    You're incredible! I didn't even think it was possible at all.

SneakyJack
    your "author" perspective has clouded your "player" judgment
    Maybe you are right here. I'm not a good player at all. If I play this mission myself, I doubt I'll be able to finish it.
    But most of players are more expierenced (10+ years expierenced!) and more demanding.

Dainem
    All questions have answers. Don't think I didn't ask myself.
    spoiler:
    why going back to the brideґs room?
    1. Anger's list of persons.
    2. Broken portrait in the conservatory.
    3. Your common sense. How it is possible to stop wedding? How to prevent somebody to do that?
    Why does the door to the attic open?
    1. New objective you got.
    2. Common sense again. Where is the best place to start premiere? Shouldn't doors be opened to let guests come in?
    Why is the doctor only coming when the horse is getting painted?
    Yes, it's a little 'gaming'. He comes when everything is ready. Though, I don't think anybody would be happy if he comes before.
    How shall you know the door to the throne room has opened?)
    Didn't you see those doors opening by your own eyes?

BTW, concerning picking the locks. Don't all of you find boring this F4 - F5 - F4 combinations? It maybe good for regular doors, but once or twice... when you don't expect any troubles at all... Do you really think everything should be the same? Always?
    Just a thought...

The Mike
    Just use lockpicks.

Fidcal
    1. Shoot lever in the window with broadhead. You need something to climb higher - crate or border.
    2. Backdoor has a keyhole.
    3 (to prevent next question). There is another lock - look back when you face the back door.

You may believe or not, but your Night Watch was not any easier for me. Honestly.
    I still remember it.
    Last edited by Zontik; 10th Apr 2010 at 15:02.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    Alright, I need help hopefully for the last time (think I'm near the end here):
    I'm at the spot where I have to break through the door that leads to the part of the castle which is under construction. I see a chisel and a maul on the ground which I can't use. I was thinking "HEY, I have that werewolf potion, I could just turn into a monster and bust the door down!"...unfortunately Garrett did not agree with my line of thinking. I'm completely out of ideas, anyone know what I should be looking for?
    And that's another thing...what's with the wolf stuff? Am I supposed to be a thief or a friggin' werewolf? I am still in the mountains, and all I find are empty bottles, and I hear growling when I stand under that dripping water on the rock!

The wolf stuff is explained in the second mission of the campaign.

I think the first mission is intentionally left vague to give you the "what the heck just happened?" mindset to be answered with revelations later on.

@ mike:
    spoiler:
    Go the the door on the third floor, mentioned by the two guards. Use a lockpick on the door, and the mission continues.

I personally like the locks. Itīs much more challenging than the standard "left, right, left, right"

Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141924293439 ... LastLast