TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TDM: No Honor Among Thieves by Goldchocobo RELEASED! (2010/04/29)

Clearinghouse
    I have same problem

yeah, have successfully downloaded and extracted the files.

thanks Goldchocobo

FYI: The crashing module in the message I posted earlier is gamex86.dll.

Note: This post a few months back from stgatilov on TDM forums precisely describes the savegame issues I am experiencing. Note that I HAVE upgraded to 1.0.1 of TDM:

http://modetwo.net/darkmod/index.php...ost__p__205330
    Last edited by elkston; 30th Apr 2010 at 15:17.

in the opening city area of mission 1, I've found a couple floating black boxes (above the starting point, and on the approach to the water house), and areas where the lighting goes out if I look in the wrong direction (looking back at the starting area, and in the upper room with the note about the guards). the "lights go out" thing happened when first entering the big cave, too.

now I'm in the prison and looking for the warden's key - I hope I don't have to jump back and forth over the PIT OF ZOMBIES!!! I tried to backstab the patrolling one, and suddenly rememebred the combat system is different form Thief and I was in trouble any hints on the key?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
    in the opening city area of mission 1, I've found a couple floating black boxes (above the starting point, and on the approach to the water house), and areas where the lighting goes out if I look in the wrong direction (looking back at the starting area, and in the upper room with the note about the guards). the "lights go out" thing happened when first entering the big cave, too.

now I'm in the prison and looking for the warden's key - I hope I don't have to jump back and forth over the PIT OF ZOMBIES!!! I tried to backstab the patrolling one, and suddenly rememebred the combat system is different form Thief and I was in trouble any hints on the key?
    Those black boxes are from the cinematic. We can't remove them really :P at the moment.

hint, I thought everyone would love that pit of zombis :P... you simply have to CAREFULLY find a way to cross the pit, to get a key. It'll b somewhat obvious
    Last edited by Goldchocobo; 30th Apr 2010 at 16:31.

The save game crashing problem is a bug with the Dark Mod... I believe it happens after your save game file size gets too large..

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    The save game crashing problem is a bug with the Dark Mod... I believe it happens after your save game file size gets too large..
    Yes. I think it's typically happening with larger TDM levels (all of the NHAT campaign :P), and is currently being worked on by the TDM team.
    Darkmod is still beta, but it's getting better and better every day

Quote Originally Posted by Goldchocobo View Post
    NEW VERSION download HERE (updated main post, old version removed)

This one was compressed with winzip, rather then winrar - as I suspect that was the culprit.
    I am also uploading seperate PK4's - a bit of a pain, but for those of you who just can't get it working.
    Sorry for the shaky release - none of the betatesters ever experienced this.
    Could Southquarter re-host the "working" file (assuming this is the fix) and/or separate pk4's?
    I get to 130MB with it......Cannot download the full 144MB file

Download the individual PK4's, and drop them into the "fms" folder of your darkmod install.

I hope I don't have to jump back and forth over the PIT OF ZOMBIES!!!
    okay, it wasn't as hard as I'd feared. I kind of expected the skeleton smashed under the cell door (near the torture room) to try to grab me through the bars!

I'm almost ready to move on to mission 2, but has anyone found the loose floor tile mentioned in a note? I'm missing 175g, that must be where it's at. I was nervous through that section, since the archers have AMAZING eyesight - through tree branches and everything

Goldenchocobo, the "lights go out" thing I mentioned happens all the time in the cathedral, especially in the priests' rooms. any idea what I'm talking about or why it's happening?
    Last edited by MrMunkeepants; 30th Apr 2010 at 20:20.

Download the individual PK4's, and drop them into the "fms" folder of your darkmod install.
    Yes I have done that now....

okay, it wasn't as hard as I'd feared. I'm almost ready to move on to mission 2, but has anyone found the loose floor tile mentioned in a note? I'm missing 175g, that must be where it's at. I was nervous through that section, since the archers have AMAZING eyesight - through tree branches and everything

Goldenchocobo, the "lights go out" thing I mentioned happens all the time in the cathedral, especially in the priests' rooms. any idea what I'm talking about or why it's happening?
    Sounds like a graphical error to me... never experienced it myself.
    Try tweaking your video settings. You running bloom on?

Sounds like a graphical error to me... never experienced it myself.
    Try tweaking your video settings. You running bloom on?
    I'm running everything as low as possible. it's almost like I can only see what the AI sees - all grey shadows become totally black detail-less voids. but like I say, just when I'm looking the wrong way in the priests' rooms, the side halls leading to the entry hall & bell tower, and at the top of the ladder to the archers' posts around the courtyard, and a couple places in town

I'm running everything as low as possible. it's almost like I can only see what the AI sees - all grey shadows become totally black detail-less voids. but like I say, just when I'm looking the wrong way in the priests' rooms, the side halls leading to the entry hall & bell tower, and at the top of the ladder to the archers' posts around the courtyard, and a couple places in town
    What kind of hardware are you using?

Here's another "glitch" I've noticed with mission #1:

In certain savegames, Father John (the robed guy who has a key on him and whose room has the ring) and about 3 other regular guards are clumped together behind the South East double-door that opens into the square courtyard. They just stand there walking around in circles. I noticed that one of the twin doors was shut while the other was open. Maybe it was a pathing issue?

ive uploaded a version that downloaded and unpacked fine for me.

http://www.filefront.com/16316633/NHAT.zip/

What kind of hardware are you using?
    Intel core2 6600 @ 2.4GHz
    2gb RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 pro

it's almost 3 years old, but should be good enough... right?

It's too bad that this thread has mostly been all discussion about technical issues, because this campaign is really outstanding! I'm at the third mission right now, here's some standout moments so far:

1. The zombies! To me, a major part of what was going to make or break the darkmod is how well it pulled off zombies and haunts, being as they're one of my favorite parts of Thief. I still haven't seen Darkmod's Revenants (the haunt-equivalents), but the zombies are creepy as hell! I actually found them disturbing, and I don't remember the last time I found zombies legitimately scary. As far as the mod goes, I loved the zombie pit in the prison and the moody graveyard in the third mission.

2. The smuggler's caves. ABSOLUTELY A-F***ING-MAZING. The screenshots looked incredible and in game it looks just as good, if not better!

3. The drunken guards on the balcony in mission 2. These guys were so damn entertaining, really incredible voice acting here!

4. The level design all throughout. Nothing much to say to do it justice, it's just mind blowing...really.

5. The gameplay. In a word: perfect. Just the right amount of challenge, lighting is done ingeniously (torches are placed just right and lightswitches are placed in such a way that getting to them/finding them becomes a fun challenge that rewards you with a much darker room. Honestly I've never seen them pulled off this well before), and I love the fact that important notes and keys have a subtle "spotlight" effect on them to make them easier to see. This really is the "killer app" darkmod needed!

All that said, a few problems/suggestions:

1. (this one is strictly darkmod related) The spiders look great, and their sounds are really chilling- but GOD do they need a death animation. The fact that they just freeze in place when you kill them makes them seem unfinished, and if they are unfinished, I think they should have just waited until the next patch when they were completed to release them. Once again, they look and sound awesome though.

2. Those black cubes in the sky caused by the cinematic are so distractingly odd, I think it would have just been better to forget the cinematics. The fly through in mission 1 doesn't really add so much that it's worth having that immersion-shattering bug floating up there.

3. (this one is also darkmod related) I'm getting that annoying save game corruption bug also. I hope a fix is released soon, because I think I'm going to have to put this one away until it's ironed out. The mission's difficulty is so perfect that I don't have to load much anyway, but when I do, needing to quit the game and wait 3 minutes is a little much for my own personal level of patience. And not being able to see my "mission complete" stats is a real buzzkill.
    Last edited by The Mike; 30th Apr 2010 at 20:47.

I must say, although I've only completed the first mission and explored the second a bit, this campaign is very impressive. It has the best ambiance of any TDM mission thus far. The guards were well placed, (especially the archers!).

One question I have is this: Although the missions run well, I got some slowdown in certain areas like (spoiler) the zombie pit. Curiously, the outdoor areas on the second mission run great! What could cause this? Surely it would be harder for the game to render an entire city block with light sources and all, rather than a hole with some zombies in it. Perhaps having several AIs in vicinity to one another is what causes the slowdown.

Quote Originally Posted by lost_soul View Post
    Perhaps having several AIs in vicinity to one another is what causes the slowdown.
    pretty sure that's what it is. city blocks are mostly straight lines with static light sources; the pit has lots of rough edges, multiple humanoid forms moving around, dust effects, and (I believe) a swinging light source casting shadows from all those moving AI.

nobody has found the loose floor tile in the cathedral?

nobody has found the loose floor tile in the cathedral?
    I know it's in one of the Priest's rooms (in the courtyard guarded by archers). I'm not sure which one...just do what I did- visit all four and crouch walk through them looking at the ground until you find a tile that "lights up" when you look at it.

What sort of a sick bastard makes a zombie trap like that???

Intel core2 6600 @ 2.4GHz
    2gb RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 pro
    you didnt say what OS your running, I assume Xp as you only have 2 GB of ram.. and regarding your gfx card, the 2400 pro is extremly low end for any game, let alone TDM or even doom. The game Prey (which is based on Doom3 engine) only gets 22fps @ 1024*768, 0xAA, 0xAS, so Im suprised TSM is running at all on that card. I mean Im only getting 20-30fps@1680*1050,0xAA 4xAS, Bloom/Vsync off - in some parts of the forest on my HD5870 and Qx9650.......

I seriously and strongly recommend that you upgrade and even a modest budget of $50 will provide you with a card that will play TDM and other contemporary games.

If you can find a one i recommend a HD3850 (mostly second only these days), otherwise the best card for $50 is the HD4650, or if you can stretch to $75 the nVidiaGT240.

[update:] I found an open box(second hand with warranty) GT240 from NewEgg for $61 you cant beat that price.

I've just encountered a crash-on-load problem in mission 2: I hit quickload and the screen fades a bit, stalls, and a Windows error message saying it has crashed comes up ("would you like to report? yes/no"). is this the same one other people are having?

is there a solution to the savegame problem, besides letting it crash and restarting it every time? I suppose another option is to never make a mistake that requires reloading, but I'm not that good

Bikerdude: thanks for the info, but I have a slim case that only accepts low-profile cards. I'm looking through similar cards with that requirement, but the names and numbers don't mean anything to me anymore PM me if you have any suggestions

I

is there a solution to the savegame problem, besides letting it crash and restarting it every time?
    god mode or noclip is what I resort to when it happens....