TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: UW2 'secret' level

Administrator

UW2 'secret' level

The other thread (yes, this forum is that quiet ) reminded me of somthing I noticed a little while ago. The disk version of UW2 contained an extra level not seen in the CD versions. It consists of a level filled with lava, a long winding path and a fort with peaceful demons, imps, destroyers and the like. Within the fort is a pedestal with the infamous Lotus Turbo Esprit on top.

Approaching the fort:

I imagine the level was simply for testing purposes or for learning how to use their game editor. I doubt there's a legitimate way to reach it in any other way. It seems a little strange that it was removed from the CD versions but perhaps they just tidied up the level file a little after the initial release (other redundant portraits / graphics / textures still exist so they weren't exactly thorough if this was the case).

Has anyone else here any ideas about this? It may just be an odd curiosity in an old game but perhaps there's a bit more story behind it.

Edit:
    Realised that I hadn't said how to reach this level. Install the disk version, run a level editor (yeah - it's naff). Find a teleport trap and change the height to 70 (which translates to level 69 - the one described). In that editor Unk1 and Unk2 give the X and Y coordinates of the destination. Setting Unk1 to 32 and Unk2 to 23 will put you near to the fort.
    Last edited by Al_B; 30th Apr 2010 at 21:20.

Ha. Thanks for that :)

It seems a little strange that it was removed from the CD versions but perhaps they just tidied up the level file a little after the initial release (other redundant portraits / graphics / textures still exist so they weren't exactly thorough if this was the case).
    I would guess that someone realised specifically that this level had never been removed from the initial release, and dealt with it, rather than it being the result of some generic clean-up pass over the game data. The Lotus might well have been a bit of a legal concern.

Cool. I only have the CD version these days but will get a copy of the floppy disk version to play around with the level.

Speaking of editors, I wonder what happened to that latest remake...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Speaking of editors, I wonder what happened to that latest remake...
    Abysmal? I've kept an eye on it and it looks like Eddy's still doing updates every so often to the SVN source control so I don't think it's dead.

That's good to hear. Let's hope that it keeps in wings.

Hah! This is really cool- thanks for sharing!

This is actually mentioned by one of the programmers in this blog on UW bugs :
    http://dfan.org/blog/2011/02/21/ultima-underworld-bugs/

From thread :
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134919

But the best bug report I remember came from Origin. We rendered the world in true 3D but most of the objects (monsters, objects you could pick up) were 2D sprites. There were a few actual 3D polygonal objects, though, such as boulders. When we added the 3D object capability, we needed something to test it out, and we hadn’t created any ourselves yet, so we used a red sports car from some friends who were developing a game with the Car & Driver license, which we plopped down in the middle of a cavern. Sure enough, you could walk all around it and it looked just like a red sports car.

Then the bug report came in, of course. “On the fifth level, at this particular location, there is a red sports car sitting on the floor.” OK, I guess we could have expected that. What we did not expect was the next sentence: “I should be able to enter it and drive around.”