TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Early New Vegas previews popping up.

Moderator and Priest
    In before someone freaks right the fuck out and starts a rant.

TTLG: New Page.

Chakat sex pillow
    It says, and I quote, that

you do not have to be online to play the game after your initial activation.
    If they're using Steamworks, that means you'll still have to get the Steam client running in offline mode. And that's as predictable as a PMSing elephant. Not that I care all that much, but... blah.

doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't 'kill' my pc (not like i resell my games or anything anyway lol))

That is possibly enough reason for me to pass - even though I have been eagerly awaiting this release (I love FO3). I have a problem with loading extraneous crapware to run other software I have purchased (Windows itself excluded ); especially if it is of the type that "threatens" my long term ability to load up an old game years from now and have it work (and Steam falls into that category IMO).

Jesus Christ people get over steam already, as far as DRM goes, it's actually one of the least intrusive ones that actually provides a ton of useful features as a bonus, for both gamers and developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Jesus Christ people get over steam already, as far as DRM goes, it's actually one of the least intrusive ones that actually provides a ton of useful features as a bonus, for both gamers and developers.
    It may be "one of the least intrusive ones" NOW, but this *is* a forum with plenty of members that like to play older games *in the future* and I am personally not of a positive feeling that it will be around for that "10 or 15 years down the road" time when I want to play a title I piurchased.

People like to tout "advantages" that to me a solutions to problems I don't have.

Using that article (http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/19053) as a base:

Like not having to "put the disc in the drive". Fallout 3 (and BILLIONS of other games) "allow" me to play without "putting the disc in the drive", and it/they does not require Steam or even GFWL to provide that feature.

Or, 'you can install the game on as many systems as you want (with no restrictions!)". Really a major "non-solution" to me. I don't want to be able to install FO3 "everywhere". Just on the PC I am playing it on. Then 3 years from now an some other PC when I replay it and have a newer PC by then. Then again, once, maybe 7 years from now (on some other even newer PC)... , etc. I don't rush around in a frenzy to 50 other frenzied player's homes needed to rush install it over the big intarnet while drooling over the keyboard. The ability to install it on craploads of PC's "today" is of no value to me. The "benefit" of an install being stored on their "cloud" is very, very minor and heavily outweighed by the bullshit surrounding it.

"cloud storage of user preferences and so on". Oh wow! Now I don't need to take a minute after I install the game to set up my keyboard and other game preferences? Instead, they "control" my access to my preferences (couched in "user-friendly" terms) and can chose (like, who is it, Ubisoft?) later to "notch that up" to then "require" online saves (and hey, they are doing us a BIG FAVOR if they do that, right? NOT).

Basically I don't need that type of "Big Brother" bloatware on my systems. How nice for many others that they don't mind (and even actually enjoy) the "poison pill" it represents.

If I am lucky, there will be a "bypass" for that Steam crap (much like FO3 can "bypass" GFWL). If that happens I may purchase it. But looks like it isn't a "day one" purchase for me anymore.

JMO

is Best Pony
    Oh in the name of God, let's not fag this thread up with the pro- / anti-Steam debate, please.

Chakat sex pillow
    Steam or no Steam, I'm buying it. I don't give a fuck in all honesty. I just find that quote to be slightly disingenuous about the internet connectivity requirement.

If anyone wants to discuss the finer points about Steam, its DRM, and internet connection requirements, then for the love of fuck start a thread on it so I can ignore it.

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    If anyone wants to discuss the finer points about Steam, its DRM, and internet connection requirements, then for the love of fuck go read the old multi-page thread on it so we can all can ignore it.
    Fixed that for you.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oh, yes. That thread. Erg. The memories. The cold, unbidden memories. How many lives were lost in trying to keep that thread sane and contained I can not recall, but surely that number is beyond counting. It might even lie in the jizzillions. (I do know that I tried to jizz quite a few people back there.)

10 note
    great, now i'll just have to pirate the game because valve put ads in cs

i was gonna reply to the steam post but Matthew's right. fuck it.

Looks like you can pre-order it on Steam now.

Taking a break
    BUT... STEAM IS A COMMUNITY AND CONTENT DELIVERY PLATFORM NOT TEH DRMS?!1/

GT have an E3 trailer for New Vegas, a little intro and outro CGI, rest is gameplay footage.

Hope the crack is up to scratch - the early cracks for FO3 were terrible

ZylonBane
    Vernon, could you just die already? KTHXBYE

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Seconded.

alt QQ

Jesus fucking GAYEST COMEBACK EVER

PS - bloody hell, is that a supermutant dressed as rollergirl? Wow.
    Last edited by Vivian; 1st Jul 2010 at 20:21.

I'm diggin' the robots with tv screens for faces - it'd be great if they display different images depending on them being neutral, hostile etc.

Personally I enjoy the wacky parts they throw into the new fallout games - it adds flavor and liveliness to the depressing browns and grays. Not that I really want to see super mutants dressed as roller girls mind you, but a little humor is always good.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    I'm diggin' the robots with tv screens for faces - it'd be great if they display different images depending on them being neutral, hostile etc.
    The robot in the teaser trailer cycled through different expressions, so this seems likelly.

Great, thanks - I hadn't seen that yet. I know alot of people give Fallout 3 shit for not being what they expected but other than the crashes in the PC version I had alot of fun with it. I guess I don't take my games seriously enough to ruin the experience for myself by expecting each game to be exactly the same as the last as long as the overall atmosphere and core mechanics are solid. There were certain parts I could do without (The original pre-Broken Steel ending and Mothership Zeta) but overall I definitely got my moneys worth out of the gameplay with FO3. I think Vegas will be alot of fun too, and from what I've read they are spending a bit more time on side stories and quests along with the main quest.

I also wouldn't mind a smaller world as long as there is more in it to do. I'd rather have half the map area with twice the events, locations and stuff to see and do rather than long stretches of empty wasteland. That's a trade I'm definitely willing to make.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    The robot in the teaser trailer cycled through different expressions, so this seems likelly.
    It'd be loads better if it suddenly started glowing red when it was angry. They should do that.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Collector's Edition has been preordered, gentlemen