TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: T2 fm: Darkstone Gem part 1: Looking for Info (19-05-10)

I tried to start playing this FM last night, but the game would always crash within a couple of minutes of starting it up. I had changed my graphics card since the last time I played Thief, so I thought that might have screwed up the installation and went and re-installed the game using TafferPatcher, but the crashing didn't stop. I then tried another FM that recently got a sequel, All Torc, and it ran fine - played for almost an hour without a single crash. Is there anything special about Looking For Info that would explain this crashing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jah View Post
    I tried to start playing this FM last night, but the game would always crash within a couple of minutes of starting it up. I had changed my graphics card since the last time I played Thief, so I thought that might have screwed up the installation and went and re-installed the game using TafferPatcher, but the crashing didn't stop. I then tried another FM that recently got a sequel, All Torc, and it ran fine - played for almost an hour without a single crash. Is there anything special about Looking For Info that would explain this crashing?
    The mission is very loaded of custom material... I have a "clean" Thief installation and it works fine... but crashes when I install the Enhancement Pack. I think you should remove some custom resources patch or something

I'm not using the Enhancement Pack or any other custom resources.

When I get home, I can test some other FM's to see if Looking For Info is the only one that crashes. I could also try running it on my older computer to see if there's any difference.

Replaying this one, stuck with the emerald jar objective. I found the collector's key and try to open the golden chest in the collector's house, but it won't work......

Quote Originally Posted by maga View Post
    Replaying this one, stuck with the emerald jar objective. I found the collector's key and try to open the golden chest in the collector's house, but it won't work......
    You need a key hidden in the chest's room

Nice mission, except for a few major issues.

First and foremost. I can think of only two missions where lighting was screwed up worse. One is Day Worker, and another is something really old, though a great one as well. I mean, shadows are there to have an idea where they are. If you move from a no shadow area to what looks like a *DEEP* shadow to hide and suddenly find that you got your light gem bright (no weapons, crouched)... That's a screw-up.

Next. No-kill objectives are ok. Them not having a grain of sense... Not so much. "This section was closed by criminal activity, don't give the guards a reason to follow you. Don't kill anyone!." [/spoil]We're leaving "this section" and moving on to a thief lair, then to a taffing WAR ZONE, with corpses all around. And at least one guy looking like a haunt who triggers the "no kill" failure. "Don't give the guards a reason to follow you?" Yeah, riiiiight.[/spoil] Come on, even if you don't wanna bother tagging folks who you may not kill, it's as simple as phrasing it differently.

Next again. If you're changing game mechanics, you better make some pretty damn obvious note of that. Fire and gas arrows being affected by gravity fall under that rule. It's an old trick to launch them at minimum speed to have time to move while they are en route. One suddenly falling right under your feet isn't fun.

And final one... Architecture. There are numerous places that look like you have to get there, and some of which can only be reached (and returned from there) with waste of resources. And have NOTHING there at all. No loot, no tools, not even any easter egg.
    The CheeseshireCat

replaying this, thanks to re-release as part of the campaign, and I need a hint:

I've got a key from the Collector's office but I don't know where it goes, and two doors it won't unlock: a white door down the street, and the armorer's place near the start.
    how do I solve these problems?
    just ask the question here and solve it myself - wander back by Ramirez's to find the Machinist
    Last edited by MrMunkeepants; 29th Apr 2012 at 20:32. Reason: of course

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
    replaying this, thanks to re-release as part of the campaign, and I need a hint:

I've got a key from the Collector's office but I don't know where it goes, and two doors it won't unlock: a white door down the street, and the armorer's place near the start.
    how do I solve these problems?
    just ask the question here and solve it myself - wander back by Ramirez's to find the Machinist
    Sorry for the late reply!
    Hint about Collector's key: You can climb a pipe near a big crate. Follow your nose from there

Need help getting into the mansion to get the vase. I get that it's the building opposite the church. I've arrowed up to the wooden balcony, but I can't climb up the steep red tiled roof to get to the top where there appears to be a balcony and some pipes. I've looked around that building on the ground and can't find any other way to get up there

Quote Originally Posted by llanita View Post
    Need help getting into the mansion to get the vase. I get that it's the building opposite the church. I've arrowed up to the wooden balcony, but I can't climb up the steep red tiled roof to get to the top where there appears to be a balcony and some pipes. I've looked around that building on the ground and can't find any other way to get up there
    Go down the same street where you found the church. You should find a house with a big circled stained glass with a climbable pipe next to it.

Ok, I finally figured out that access was through the back of the building. I'd already been up the pipe and across the chain, but I forgot that there was a locked door I couldn't open.
    So I got that door unlocked now, but there's no vase inside that room. I don't know why I'm so lost actually. I can't seem to get things straight.
    Thanks for the quick response by the way. Really appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by llanita View Post
    Ok, I finally figured out that access was through the back of the building. I'd already been up the pipe and across the chain, but I forgot that there was a locked door I couldn't open.
    So I got that door unlocked now, but there's no vase inside that room. I don't know why I'm so lost actually. I can't seem to get things straight.
    Thanks for the quick response by the way. Really appreciate it
    The vase is inside a golden chest. The key to the chest is hidden in the same room but the location of the key is different in each difficulty level.

Thanks for the help.
    Got it