TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dark Mod Fan Mission: The Alchemist by Sotha & Fidcal(2010/06/01)

Dark Mod Fan Mission: The Alchemist by Sotha & Fidcal(2010/06/01)

The Alchemist is a full-size city and mansion Dark Mod FM, the fourth in the Thief's Den series in which you play Farrell. It follows on from Heart of Lone Salvation so you should play that first.

The main build of this FM was by Sotha who was unable to continue work on it. I (Fidcal) could see the potential so completed it, somewhat roughly and quickly, so it could be enjoyed rather than abandoned. Even so, it exceeded my original estimate!

Read the notes below while you ... DOWNLOAD HERE. (27MB)

Sam's death hit me hard and I've not been feeling so good. I'm worried I didn't get rid of the Heart of Lone Salvation quickly enough. I don't want to end my days like Martha Edridge. A health potion is too weak; I need something stronger. Only a holy healing potion will lift a curse so I need to find a good alchemist.

But the city watch have been tipped off and the district is alive with guards searching for any intruder they find on the streets. I have no choice: I must get that potion...

This FM needs Dark Mod Update 1.02 or later.

TIP: You cannot drink the holy healing potion if you are perfectly fit!

As said in the briefing, the city watch are already ALERT right from the start and much more likely to notice you in the dark. You'd better be ready to move!

ALLOW 2 TO 4 HOURS PLAY FIRST TIME AROUND

Players with low end machines will find this slow in some places especially when there is an alert. Hide. Let things calm down. Closing doors behind you may help.

In Dark Mod some glass is breakable using any weapon. It may require several hits. But there is also toughened glass which cannot be broken. Only one way to find out which is which!

Do not use Esc during the briefing or the cursor becomes invisible. (You can still select blind though looking for highlights.) You can skip the briefing with the left mouse button. If you miss anything you can use the back button to show it again.

Above all, Enjoy!

EDIT] updated with debugged combination lock script 5 June 2010

Last edited by Fidcal; 5th Jun 2010 at 02:51.

Clearinghouse
    Congrats! Downloading

Excellent

Sounds great, thank you!

Edit: Wow, mirror 1 is super fast - thank you. Took me around a minute to download the mission.

Congrats on the release!

I didn't even know that TDM 1.02 has been released but apparently I need it to play this mission

Just posting to let folks know you need to update before loading this one if you havent gotten TDM 1.02 yet.
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 1st Jun 2010 at 14:44.

Nice but i will play it after there is a 1.02 patch that fixes the weapon scrolling.

Sorry I should have put that in the first post but 1.02 has been out a while and I guess I thought everyone would have it.

Save /quick save is still broke.

------------- Warnings ---------------
    during alchemist...
    WARNING: AAS file 'maps/alchemist.aas32' is out of date
    WARNING: AAS file 'maps/alchemist.aas48' is out of date
    WARNING: ConvertLWOToModelSurfaces: model models/darkmod/architecture/chimneys/square_stone.lwo has too many verts for a poly! Make sure you triplet it down
    WARNING: ConvertLWOToModelSurfaces: model models/darkmod/decorative/signs/sign_anvilshape.lwo has too many verts for a poly! Make sure you triplet it down
    WARNING: Couldn't load gui: 'guis/streetsigns_world.gui'
    WARNING: Couldn't load image: lights/tdm_sky_skyfadebiground1
    WARNING: Couldn't load image: models/md5/chars/thief/thief1_local
    WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures//priestbottom_black_d
    WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/common/qer_mirror
    WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/common/shadow_bak
    WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/metal/flat/steel_scratched01_nontiling_s
    WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/nature/skybox/starry1_moon
    WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'stone_sliding.wav' using default
    WARNING: file , line 2: unknown token '-'
    WARNING: Non-portable: path contains uppercase characters: alchemist/dds/models/mapobjects/hell/Site3
    WARNING: Non-portable: path contains uppercase characters: base/dds/models/mapobjects/hell/Site3
    WARNING: Non-portable: path contains uppercase characters: darkmod/dds/models/mapobjects/hell/Site3
    17 warnings
    signal caught: Segmentation fault
    si_code 1
    Trying to exit gracefully..
    --------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
    WARNING: DeleteBody: no body found in the articulated figure with the name 'KeyCell0' for entity 'Hask' type 'idAI'.
    WARNING: idClipModel::FreeTraceModel: tried to free uncached trace model
    --------------------------------------
    Shutting down sound hardware
    ----------- Alsa Shutdown ------------
    close pcm
    dlclose
    idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
    ------------ Game Shutdown -----------
    --------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
    Shutdown event system
    shutdown terminal support
    Last edited by bdkl; 1st Jun 2010 at 17:32.

This is a huge mission! Enjoying it so far, good stuff.

This is looking good. Any hint to how to open the doors with the code, I have tried every combination on the note or where the key to the door in the same corridor is?

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykat View Post
    This is looking good. Any hint to how to open the doors with the code, I have tried every combination on the note or where the key to the door in the same corridor is?
    Vague hint: The code is not found on that paper.

Strong hint: Try the library.

Spoiler: ...and find a secret door on the top floor.

kittykat: You probably have the wrong note. If your note is the one from the inventor's place then that is just his test results for the combination lock he is testing. You need to find the code for the one in the mansion.

bdld: We know the FM is OK so it's a config, settings, or install problem. A couple of things you might try..

First close Dark Mod and run the tdm_update.exe again and make sure it indicates it is complete and nothing more to update. Then try this FM again from the start.

If the above does not fix it then are you running Linux? If so...

• Close Dark Mod.
    • In your game folder doom3\alchemist (NOT the one in darkmod\fms) there is alchemist.pk4. It's a zip file.
    • Rename it to alchemist.ZIP to disable it. Extract its contents into that game folder.
    • In the alchemist\maps folder DELETE alchemist.aas32, alchemist.aas48, alchemist.cm, and alchemist. proc.
    • Run Dark Mod and call up the console (this is Ctrl + Alt + the key to the left of the 1 and above Tab.)
    • Enter dmap alchemist to recreate those files you just deleted.
    • This will take several minutes and may seem to hang back at the menus but this is normal while it calculates pathfinding. Wait until the cursor moves freely.
    • Now try to play the FM again. Don't load an old gamesave but start from the beginning.

Let me know if the above fixes it.

Oh goodie a new game

thanks very much,

now its downloaded Im off to play.

I can't get the holy lifepotion without being beaten to pulp.
    I have already lowered the gantry and rotated the lever on the ceiling yet this stupid little flask is excessively hard to frob, and if I do, they are all over me ...

Am I overlooking anything here ?

I have a weird bug with the readables in the homeless shelter. After I frob them in order to view them, they remain on screen no matter what I do, even if I try to open it again (in this case I will have 2 of the same readable on screen) . It doesn't seem to affect the ones in my inventory. I'll run the update again.

Outlooker: After lowering the gantry, notice that it casts a shadow... You can crouch very slowly towards the potion in that shadow and lean forward and grab it and back off quickly without causing an alert.

Snakebite: This bug is completely new to me - in fact unheard of. What exact sequence of controls are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    Snakebite: This bug is completely new to me - in fact unheard of. What exact sequence of controls are you using?
    I just frob it (right click). The text appears but the page won't dissapear after whatever I do. Frobing againg the text through the residual image will open another one. The page will remain in the part of the screen where it was when I was supposed to leave the text. It happened only with the wall text at the shelter. But I didn't found others in order to see if the problem is global. The inventory readables work just as fine. Restarting the game won't fix the problem. I will play another mission later in order to see if this is just here (Alchemist is the first mission I play after the update - maybe is related).

Need a hint for the mission - What does the lever in the library opens? I know it goes back to normal after a time, but I was unable to find anything in that time
    Last edited by Snakebite; 2nd Jun 2010 at 11:42.

[QUOTE=Fidcal;

Let me know if the above fixes it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I really should do a clean Doom3 install. The one I'm using has been copied and pasted between between my half dozen 32bit distros /home folders for some time now.That seems to have done the trick, and I'm very much enjoying the mission. It seems TDM is starting to come into it's own On a separate note, is the 64 bit Linux installer updated to the latest version ?

I am with Snakebite I can not figure out what the lever is opening I have tried to turn the sound up so maybe I could hear something but could not. I have also ran down stairs to maybe see what it opens but no luck. Can some one spoil me please.

P.S. Great level BTW

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pwl View Post
    I am with Snakebite I can not figure out what the lever is opening I have tried to turn the sound up so maybe I could hear something but could not. I have also ran down stairs to maybe see what it opens but no luck. Can some one spoil me please.
    The secret entrance behind the picture above the bookshelf. Frob, frob, frob.

pwl & snakebite: Yes, the lever does not actually open or move anything, it makes the painting frobable. I did wonder if that would be too obscure but all the beta testers got it so I forgot about it. Sorry about that. Blame the beta testers for being so smart!

That was the only logical place from where you could access the master bedroom as it was writen but I couldn't frob it. I must try again.

snakebite: the static readable problem. Yes, let me know if this problem is the same in other FMs. If so then it is a config/install/update problem I guess.

I tried the homeless shelter readables earlier and I couldn't get them to fail no matter what I did - even deliberately pressing wrong keys rapidly.

This is the correct sequence:

Highlight
    Frob to read
    Any of the following three should end the reading display:
    Drop control
    Attack control
    Just turn or move away and the reading mode automatically ends.

Let me know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    Vague hint: The code is not found on that paper.

Strong hint: Try the library.

Spoiler: ...and find a secret door on the top floor.
    Ok found that paper but 1341 is not the right code so what is it I am not good with riddles

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast