TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FM Preview Time! Fables of the Penitent Thief! By Sliptip and me!

The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker! THAT is what this reminds me of!!!

I must say, this is the single most cutest thread I've ever seen.

Great stuff, great way to present it. Cannot not smile.

Archivist
    Beautiful, charming and as original as only Sliptip can come up with

I love the music, subtitles and the RPG feel in the video. The most cute FM announcement I've ever seen.

Very impressive work you two!!

Can't wait
    It's too damn good

And what makes it even better? The fact that Sliptip is a C64 fan.

Reminds me of Gravity Bone - a short, free Quake 2 engine spy game. I was toying with going a cartoon route with the mission I'm working on, but it would have been a lot of work for no real good reason. This looks like it has cartoony gameplay to go with the look - much better!

However, the one thing that sticks out is the original Thief 2 AIs - any plans to do some toon-skins for them?

That seems to promise great fun! I'm not exactly sure what to expect, but I definitely look forward to find that out.

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    What can I say....FABULOUS is maybe the right comment!

It's all be said already but I'll chime in anyway. This looks like incredible fun and I can't wait to play it!

oh, i LOVE those cute Romashka(camomile) flowers in the trailer, beautiful gfx
    Can't wait

Just joining the queue of admiring taffers. Looking forward to the release and hoping the music will be used again somewhere in the mission - it works so well in the trailer!

The Architect
    I knew you guys would be excited, but I am just floored with the reaction!

I want to reply to every single post but it would look something like, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! ... which probably isn't a bad thing at this point.

The twitchy animated textures are really one of Sliptip's signature styles and I for one wouldn't dare change it. The environments are, for the most part, extremely simple, but the animated textures make them jump alive in a way no amount of detail could really do.

We're sticking with the T2 skins (though we did order a set of custom ones in the T2 style, mixing in some T1 skins as well) because, quiet honestly, we couldn't get anything else to look any good. I really think they only stand out because we're using to seeing them... everyone who has seen this cold (non-thief players, friends and family) never blinked at the way the characters look. I think, in this case, the meshes which now look so out of place in modern FMs actually work to our advantage... they really fit in with this particular style.

We actually sat on an earlier cut of this trailer for some time because of how spoilery it seemed. The final cut we posted is indeed less spoilery, but only slightly. This is so different we really wanted to give people a clear idea of what to expect, the types of challenges that would be in it. The whole point of the trailer was to show, not tell, so rather than give a list of the types of puzzles, I wanted to actually present them. Seriously, the challenge of the boat puzzle is to find the little wooden parts. An adult will spend ten seconds figuring out where the pieces go in the scene. What I had in mind, when designing that puzzle, was that this mission is something we can play with our kids.

As for finishing... we're going to be working hard this spring/summer to get everyone playing this. You can help though... (and you already have) ... cheering on is a good fuel for any mission author.

I remember stumbling upon news of this project somewhere about a month ago. Can't remember if it was through the circle or Digi's blog. Either way it looks/sounds like great fun.

The Architect
    Sliptip did post that title image to the forums ages ago, but I probably mentioned it on the blog too at one point. I didn't think anyone from TTLG read that thing.

Since its already been fully announced now I guess I can say that I got the chance to play an EXTREMELY early version of this mission where only a few areas and a courtyard were accessible - and its more beautiful in motion in-game than any video or picture can really show. Not to get expectations far too high or anything - but the music mixed with the animated cartoonish textures (which are constantly moving and flickering like you are literally inside a cartoon world thats continuously being drawn around you) and old school adventure game feel make a visual impact like you wouldn't believe. It will be really fun to see the reactions to such a radically different visual style.

Since the first time Sliptip showed screens of this mission its been one of the projects I was most excited to see, and when I found out Digital Nightfall had joined the cause I knew it was going to end up incredible. Judging by these new screens and the trailer the finished product is going to be blockbuster, and I can't wait to see how it turned out.

New, fresh, different and exciting - everything about this mission already looks like a winner. Can't wait!

Have seen neither weapons nor the health bar in the trailer. I take it Fables of the Penitent Thief focuses on puzzles and exploration?

The Architect
    There'll be a health bar. You can still take damage from falling, after all! But yes, most of the gameplay is exploration and puzzles.

= me feeling happy!

Oh wow! I remember seeing pictures of this in another thread some time ago. I always thought it was something on the back burner/abandoned. Can't wait to play!

Btw, the screenshot with the healtbar & lightgem being downside-up was particularily amusing. I suppose it's not actually possible, aye? Was it to tell, that the room's gonna be upside down or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    I knew you guys would be excited, but I am just floored with the reaction!

I want to reply to every single post but it would look something like, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! ... which probably isn't a bad thing at this point.
    I agree! Thanks everyone for all the kind words We really hope you enjoy it!

@Thor - yeah that room's upside down. Building that place really made me feel barfy

Loooooking GREAT!!! Can't wait!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    We're sticking with the T2 skins (though we did order a set of custom ones in the T2 style, mixing in some T1 skins as well) because, quiet honestly, we couldn't get anything else to look any good.
    fair enough. I was thinking a simple Posterize filter application in Photoshop would flatten the colors and add the dark blacks that the rest of the world seems to have, while still being our same beloved AI. try it and see if it works (or, if you already have, ignore me )

Looks great and extremely creative! Gameplay and art style is the focus, gotta love it.

I can't wait to play this thing- GAH, that trailer was so damn awesome!
    Summer 2010 huh? It's looking pretty summer-ey out right now. No one will hold it against you if you release it tomorrow...just sayin'.