TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FM Preview Time! Fables of the Penitent Thief! By Sliptip and me!

The Architect
    Hey, maybe one of you guys could help us out.

We're looking for some more old-old-old school adventure game music to add to this. If you have a collection and want to make some suggestions, go ahead and contact Sliptip about it. We'd like each quest area to have a unique soundtrack. We already have a handful but want more.

Stuff that's free and legal to use, of course. Not like the trailer, either... the trailer music is nothing like the actual music we're using.

I suspect that, before too long, I will need to invest in a hat, so that it may be taken off to you and Sliptip. I can't wait to see and play the finished version, good luck with the development!

Holy crap, I'm excited to see this project come out!!

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i really like the style of this, only a few thoughts, i would change the ai mesh to thief gold ones and simplify the textures to fit the low poly look even more. and the "shrunken" portion, is i assume done with a huge room and a standard size garrett, unless you shrunk garrett, something i want to really do. i'm free for testing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    . . . and the "shrunken" portion, is i assume done with a huge room and a standard size garrett, unless you shrunk garrett, something i want to really do. i'm free for testing as well.
    Yes it is, but I'm with you - I've always wanted to find a way to actually shrink Garrett.

. . . Mostly so I can be a jerk and enter a contest with a size restriction

Could you shrink playbox.bin, reattach the camera at 6-inches-off-the-floor and significantly reduce player movement speed? I know at least the last part is possible...

Sweet mother of Satan....!!!
    Feeling good never felt so good.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Could you shrink playbox.bin, reattach the camera at 6-inches-off-the-floor and significantly reduce player movement speed? I know at least the last part is possible...
    I suspect that at least parts of the playbox's size are hardcoded in the engine, but it's worth a try.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    DAMN !

How I wish I had so much more freetime for dromed, this trailer makes me feel I need to improve my work...
    The moving textures look a little weird for me though, maybe ingame it looks way better.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    . . .The moving textures look a little weird for me though, maybe ingame it looks way better.
    It does take some getting used to . It looks especially weird during the part where you're small because the texture sizes have to be 4 times bigger. You can really see my sloppy colouring

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i actually hadn't noticed the moving textures the first time i watched it. you've used the same texture trick in the past, is there a reason you prefer the animated textures, and use them so frequently, or are you trying to achieve a certain look?

DAMN !

How I wish I had so much more freetime for dromed, this trailer makes me feel I need to improve my work...
    The moving textures look a little weird for me though, maybe ingame it looks way better.
    It definitely looks better in-game - it makes the entire area feel as if it's a live-action storybook. Very cool to see in motion. I really don't think any picture or video is going to do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    i actually hadn't noticed the moving textures the first time i watched it. you've used the same texture trick in the past, is there a reason you prefer the animated textures, and use them so frequently, or are you trying to achieve a certain look?
    This project started with me calling in fake sick to work one day. I had challenged myself to see if I could make a mission in one day (a short one mind you!). 1.5 years later I concede defeat. So in terms of acheiving something specific: no, there wasn't really a plan in the begining. I just like that jiggly cartoon look. The nice thing about drawing your own textures is that it allows you to connect in a physical way to your work - even if the result winds up silly looking.

At any rate, Sliptip, this looks like a fun mission.

This is the Dromed version of BORDERLANDS.

Digitalnightfall and Sliptip - it's like Presley and Lennon writing together, or Pele and Maradona opening up a soccer school.

The trailer and the pictures look amazing! Can't wait...

About music, there's the really, really old, old, old school music from the likes of the Zork games (I especially loved the eerie tones of Zork Nemesis) and the Journeyman Project: Legacy of Time, both of which are really early adventure/exploration type games - well, kind of

Don't know if they are legal or free - though I personally downloaded Zork music from a free site somewhere years ago.

Just a thought.

Anyways, looking great, guys! Just when I thought my summer vacation would consist of replays Glad you're offering such a gift, since as my birthday is coming up

The Architect
    Zork... music? ....

I sometimes forget that there's Zork games that exist beyond Zork Zero. I actually don't remember any of the music from Return to Zork, Nemesis, or Grand Inquisitor.

Okay, who can name all of the Zork-universe games? If you can get it right without peeking at the spoiler tag, I'll give you a new Fables screenshot! No fair peeking at Wikipedia, either! :P :P

Zork I: The Great Underground Empire
    Zork II: The Wizard of Frobozz
    Zork III: The Dungeon Master
    Enchanter
    Sorcerer
    Spellbreaker
    Wishbringer
    Beyond Zork: The Coconut of Quendor
    Zork Zero: The Revenge of Megaboz
    Return to Zork
    Zork Nemesis
    Zork: The Undiscovered Underground
    Zork Grand Inquisitor
    Legends of Zork

I've only played ten of those, myself. (12 if you count the ones I played for an hour or so and then never touched again.)

And thanks, Malau! But which one is Presley and which one is Lennon?

DAMN !

Aw, but what you do is good, already. Maybe more of my tastes, even. No offense, Sliptip, I love your FMs, but DrKs work has always been more of what I like as a Thief gamer. (OK, so yeah, I hated ANIR 3, so sue me)

But I'm happy to say that, regardless of what I've just said, it really doesn't matter all that much, really, who we say is better than the other. Comparing Sliptip to DrK, is like comparing Magritte to Van Gogh.

Wait, by oldschool adventure game-ish sounding music, are you talking about Chiptune music?

Hmm, watching the trailer video on mute, this song sounds nice! (Caution: Browser resizes itself because that link is to a web page that actually functions as a pop-up.)

omg omg omg when when when?

Whenever they feel like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Comparing Sliptip to DrK, is like comparing Magritte to Van Gogh.
    never thought much of Magritte and Van Gogh was best duing his 18831886 peiod in my taste.. Gotta love the smoking skeleton.

anyway.. Looks nice, nice style. using the normal AI Mesh's does look a little out of place to me, but nothing much to worry about.. It's a shame you can't get a Edge draw but looks great anyway ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker! THAT is what this reminds me of!!!
    Oh yeah, me too So awesome, just awesome.

Yeah actually here it is summer already...Hope you don't mean "summer" in south africa :P

Looks GREAT! and I mean it! CAN'T WAIT FOR RELEASE!