TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDM FM: The Beleaguered Fence by Sotha (2010/06/23)

TDM FM: The Beleaguered Fence by Sotha (2010/06/23)

The Beleaguered Fence is a small/medium sized map in which aspiring thief Thomas Porter sets out to bust his fence out of the notorious Old Town Jail. Mission was created by me, Sotha and I wish to thank Melan, Baal and Bikerdude for playtesting.

During the recent heist at captain Knighton's manor I made a stupid mistake. The alarm was sounded, and I made it out just before the guards caught me. I ran through the mazelike streets of The City and thought that I had escaped my pursuers.

I finally hid in the shop of my fence, Lark Butternose - the only man in the City I can really trust. Things calmed down and the next day I went out to spend some of the spoils of my hard work while Lark kept the shop open to sell other items I found. Later, when I returned to Lark's place, it was ransacked. My equipment, our loot and Lark were all gone.

I talked with the locals and learned that the city watch had raided the place just a few hours ago, confiscated everything, arrested Lark and dragged him to the notorious Old Town Jail. It turned out captain Knighton, the one whose manor I robbed, took the thing very personally and swore to apprehend and execute everyone involved in the heist.

And now they have Lark. They will probably interrogate him and learn about me. I have enough problems already and I do not need a powerful revenge-seeking watch captain at my heels.

I think now is the time for me and Lark to go our separate ways. Our agreement was quite profitable for both of us but now it needs to end. But only after I bust Lark out of the Old Town Jail. I owe him that much. And more importantly, it would be better if captain Knighton never learned who really stole his valuables.

For story oriented players, be sure to check your inventory for Thomas' journal for more background.

TDM Forum Release Thread

Downloads:

http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/fmdetails.php?id=23
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/mrynoy...ered_fence.pk4

wow another one...Thanks...

....sigh......, yearning to play TDM. That looks fantastic!

Congrats on the release!

I can't seem to open this one in my Darkloader file to play it from.
    ????????

It's a pk4. file as I read into the new TFM entry.
    It should work, doesn't it?

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria Creep View Post
    ????????

Gloria Creep
    It won't work with DarkLoader since it is a FM for TheDarkMod, and not for TDP or TMA, sorry !

Hello taffers I cannot find the key for the evidence door. Spoiler And there is a hidden hatch in the room by the stairs that lead down to cells. I can open it but the hatch at the end only opens part way?? I have read the note about who lost the key but don't know where to look??

EDIT: Found it
    Last edited by pwl; 24th Jun 2010 at 22:05.

Thank you for this mission!

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria Creep View Post
    ????????

Gloria Creep
    You need to install Doom 3 and probably play it if you haven't already. It has been converted to by the Dark Mod Team to play like "Thief". You then need to install the dark mod launcher. The second link I have posted is where to get it.

http://modetwo.net/darkmod/

http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/downloads.php

You may not like it at first and I still prefer Thief 1 and Thief 2 but, they have come a long way and the project is getting it better and better.

Did you catch up on all those Thief 1 missions already?

Finished with some help from the forum @ The Dark Mod. Great mission SOTHA!!! I about jumped out of my seat when I grabbed the diamond!!
    Last edited by pwl; 24th Jun 2010 at 22:32.

It would have been nice to have a new objective when you find the underground area, because you can finish the mission without visiting it

Off-topic -> How do you add spoilers at TDM forums?

Look in the "Other styles" dropdown on the reply page. Handled with the same tags as ttlg.

Neat, straightforward and bug free - excellent little mission

Definitely challenging but fun! Thanks!

I don't know if it is a Dark Mod thing or mission specific settings but it seemed like I had to be right up against the AI in order to pickpocket keys and purses - so close in fact that I got caught alot more than I normally do.

Otherwise a great looking mission with a fun twist!

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post

I don't know if it is a Dark Mod thing or mission specific settings but it seemed like I had to be right up against the AI in order to pickpocket keys and purses - so close in fact that I got caught alot more than I normally do.

I agree with this. You need to be way too close to make a good pickpocket.

That distance is a mapper thing. The default distances for static objects are a little shorter than Thief for added realism and this is automatically used if an item is on a guard's belt for pickpocketing. A mapper is free to extend that distance on individual items if he wants but generally it's not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    It would have been nice to have a new objective when you find the underground area, because you can finish the mission without visiting it

Off-topic -> How do you add spoilers at TDM forums?
    There is a new optional objective but it only shows when you read the clue I think.

At TDM you select spoilers from the 'Other Styles' list. Not very intuitive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    That distance is a mapper thing. The default distances for static objects are a little shorter than Thief for added realism and this is automatically used if an item is on a guard's belt for pickpocketing. A mapper is free to extend that distance on individual items if he wants but generally it's not a problem.
    If this is the case then the frob distance on pickpocketing in this mission seemed far shorter than it normally is - it got to the point where I dreaded even having to pickpocket things because I had to be nearly touching the AI before their items would even highlight. I've never had difficulty in a Dark Mod mission before this one with the pickpocketing mechanic.

Minor issue in an otherwise a great mission though

mmm... don't know what is happening there. I didn't notice anything different about pickpocketing in this FM - though maybe I missed some stuff. I remember getting a key or two and one or two purses. I recall seeing what looked like a health potion on a guard going out the front door but he was out of range and I didn't need it anyway.

a simple question

Where in the deuce is the captain's diary? I'm afraid it's hidden in plain sight, but I have torn that room up and still haven't found it!

Quote Originally Posted by vexd View Post
    Where in the deuce is the captain's diary? I'm afraid it's hidden in plain sight, but I have torn that room up and still haven't found it!
    Go to the far back right corner of the Captain's room. Pick up the chair in that corner and move it far out of the way. Now, look around the floor in that corner for a section of floor to frob. If the frobbing doesn't actually move the section of wood on the floor, you haven't moved the chair far enough away.

I had some difficulty with it myself, don't feel bad.

- prjames

Thank you sir!
    Last edited by vexd; 27th Jun 2010 at 14:08. Reason: grammar

interesting mission

cool mission, it was nice to play this one

need help to get into the room in the tunnel

Classical Master 2008
    If you mean the well with the dead body and the statues, then bring a light down the rope (not the easiest), then light the torches.

A warning for enyone upgraded to TDMv.1.04: the mission breaks at a point close to the end and you can't finish the optional objective

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast