TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: iPad (and now possibly other tablet) Gaming

Administrator
    It does mean we have to rename the thread to "tablet gaming"...

For Android and iOS devices...

METAL! SLUG! 3!

...for 7 bucks. Better get one of those suction cup gamepad thingamajiggits for this one.

And Malf. Congrats on the Nexus 7. Tell me what you think about it, I'm kinda interested in grabbing one for myself.

Has anyone tried out the Cthulhu turn-based adventure, Wasted Land?

I haven't got an iPad but might be getting one soon so am making a mental note of games to buy once I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Has anyone tried out the Cthulhu turn-based adventure, Wasted Land?
    I got it, though I haven't played too far into it yet. From what I've seen, it's pretty fun, though not exactly what I'd call the deepest game around. It's good for scratching the TBS itch, but there are better games out for the iPad.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, I picked up Wasted Land, the Cthulhu game yesterday, but haven't played it much at all. What I did play seemed devoid of any useful tutorial content whatsoever, but I'll keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    Also Minecraft Pocket Edition runs quite well although it's not as pretty or complete as the PC/Mac version. More of a demo at the moment mind you as it's an alpha...
    I've got this for my Xperia play; It's getting better every update. The latest update added furnaces, which basically makes the game "just good enough" to be enjoyable. It can only go up from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I should pick that up. Of course, I have the advantage of being able to play it with buttons; not sure how well this would work on a tablet without an external gamepad thinghy.
    Last edited by Zerker; 26th Jul 2012 at 17:12.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    I noticed Spacechem has an ipad version
    I'm enjoying the Android version which was released a few weeks ago. It's missing some of the features of the PC version (no "boss battles" and no background story for example) but with the exception of dragging pipes between reactors it works nicely on a tablet. There's a free demo version - which you can get to from the link above.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerker View Post
    I should pick that up. Of course, I have the advantage of being able to play it with buttons; not sure how well this would work on a tablet without an external gamepad thinghy.
    It's actually not too half bad. I'm starting to get pretty good with touchscreen analog controls. Not to the point where I'm starting to prefer it over an actual gamepad, but good enough that I can use it without feeling like I'm totally gimped.

Also, it works with the iCade stick/controller if you want to use that.

Oh yeah...

First screenshot of Baldur's Gate running on the iPad, showing off one of the new areas that's been added to the game. If you've got the 3, you get to play it in glorious redrawn 2048x1536 resolution.

September, people. When we get to play the game we've been playing for 14 years now. But high res and on a really thin computer you carry in your hand. I CAN'T WAIT!

Knows his stuff
    I've never played it actually. It's some kinda RPG yeah? The combat isn't like that in Final Fantasy, is it?

It's a D&D RPG and it plays more or less like Planescape Torment, though with more focus on combat and less on conversation. (If you haven't played that, go and play it before you even contemplate posting here again!) The combat's more a mix between RTS and turn-based combat.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    No real comment on BG other than it's bog-standard fantasy and the combat isn't very good but despite what Thirith says Planescape Torment is not a must-play.

Administrator
    If you've got the 3, you get to play it in glorious redrawn 2048x1536 resolution.
    Blimey, I hadn't even read the specs of the iPad 3. What kind of power has the thing got to handle that resolution...

Goes to find out...

Knows his stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    If you haven't played that, go and play it before you even contemplate posting here again!
    :[

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I've never played it actually. It's some kinda RPG yeah? The combat isn't like that in Final Fantasy, is it?
    It's a baku gaijin western RPG that is not at all kawaii.

I dunno if you're serious, but...in all the years you've been frequenting TTLG, you haven't once played or looked up info on Baldur's Gate? Man, you are a console tard. :P

Come September, you will have no excuse not to at least try it out. And even better, BGII is supposedly coming out shortly thereafter. And even better than even better, if they sell well, we're likely to see all the Infinity Engine games get a repolishing and release for modern PCs and tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    No real comment on BG other than it's bog-standard fantasy and the combat isn't very good but despite what Thirith says Planescape Torment is not a must-play.
    It is if you're a story-in-games whore, I'd say. What's great about the game is the choices it gives you and the world it puts you in; in some ways I'd say it's the adventure game fan's RPG. If you're into combat, go somewhere else, because the combat is entirely uninteresting.

On Baldur's Gate: I found the game somewhat underwhelming when I came to it, mainly because it is very generic fantasy - but it came after a long drought in any kind of RPG. Baldur's Gate 2 is where it's at, really - it's still fairly generic, but as far as generic fantasy goes it's among the best.

Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    Blimey, I hadn't even read the specs of the iPad 3. What kind of power has the thing got to handle that resolution...

Goes to find out...
    The specs won't absolutely blow you away. The only thing Apple mentions on their site is that it's an ARM A5 SOC with "quad core graphics", and 1GB DDR2 RAM.

Capability-wise, I'd probably peg it out somewhere around a high res PS Vita. It's surprisingly powerful considering how thin it is, and how long the battery lasts on the thing. Like the GTA 3 port runs at (I believe) 2048x1536 without a hitch, and doesn't look like it's made any graphical sacrifices to get there.

Knows his stuff
    I dunno if you're serious, but...in all the years you've been frequenting TTLG, you haven't once played or looked up info on Baldur's Gate? Man, you are a console tard. :P
    I've been hearing ravings about it, and Planescape, since the late 90's, but neither seemed like my kinda thing back then. Fantasy, RPG, isometric, eh. Looking at a gameplay video of the combat now I see that it uses pause-time, which I'm more than ok with. Going back to check out decade old games I missed out on the first time usualy always ends in disappointment though, but I'll check out the iPad version when it comes out.

In most cases, that's true, but BG and the rest of the Infinity Engine games have aged quite well. The gameplay hasn't depreciated at all, it's all mouse driven overhead RTS style point 'n click, pretty much like Diablo III and Krater. The only thing that'd be different if they, say, came out tomorrow instead of 10-12 years ago is that they'd use a souped up 3D engine instead of detailed 2D bitmaps for everything. Otherwise they'd be exactly the same.

You can't pay an old game a better compliment. Also, it's a perfect example of little the games have changed over the last decade.

Administrator
    The iPad has resurrected quite a lot of "older" game paradigms less obsessed with a realistic world visualisation. It's all been a bit of a high-end hardware push...

I've still never seen anything as unique as Okami's graphical style, which still looks great after 6 years.

Knows his stuff
    The gameplay hasn't depreciated at all, it's all mouse driven overhead RTS style point 'n click, pretty much like Diablo III and Krater.
    Ah, ok. Nice to know it hasn't aged badly, though comparing it to two modern games I have no interest in isn't exactly warming me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Ah, ok. Nice to know it hasn't aged badly, though comparing it to two modern games I have no interest in isn't exactly warming me to it.
    It has a similar control scheme, but doesn't play exactly like them. The IE games are more tactical in nature, slower paced. It's less about leveling up so you can spam the latest and greatest fireball spell on the tech tree, and more about positioning, manoeuvring, trapping, and ambushing (or surviving ambushes, which happen quite a bit). Think of them as controlling sorta like Diablo III and Krater, but being closer in spirit to games like Jagged Alliance.

...and if you play it, always make sure you bring a thief.

Knows his stuff
    being closer in spirit to games like Jagged Alliance.
    Ok, now I'm interested again.

The Alchemist
    RE: iPad specs, I cant say for certain, being a dedicated devices and what not, but Infinity Edge 2, Modern Combat 3, and Air Supremacy all have rather fantastic graphics, on a 10" screen, at that ridiculous resolution, so I'd wager the iPad 3 has a good bit of oomf behind it.

And yes, about the iPad/touchscreen market game genre tropes, I have been delighted that less twitchy forms of gameplay have rerisen. Not only do I really miss some of those older genres (like point and click adventures) but it's actually very satisfying to play, say, SCUMMVM on the touch screen interfaces. I actually found it to work for RTS's very well, Settlers 3 was very easy and fun to control on the iPad, although I admit my hand gets tired after a while. You lot probably have stronger wrists than I do however, considering. :P

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    It is if you're a story-in-games whore, I'd say.
    Except the story is terrible, made all the worse by trying to insist that it's not terrible. I don't expect Shakespeare or whatever in my games, but the story in PST is the original pretentious high school goth nonsense. I get that it's partly the fault of the Planescape setting but if anything that's even more reason to skip it. Not to mention that it's not really a very deep story: an amnesiac tries to figure out how to kill himself while talking to a lot of people. 900 pages' worth of talking. All of it the same garden-variety purple prose. That's not depth, just density. This is where LARPers come from for god's sake.