TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T2 SVC - Settling a Score

T2 SVC - Settling a Score

Has anyone tried to ghost this mission successfully? Playing on Expert.

Wouldn't you know, I'm the one that gets stuck to the wall on a save game. Trying to lean and jump to get loose has ruined my ghosting. EVERYone has heard me now.

Lots of places to explore in the basement and in the house. Good use of space.

When in the master bedroom, I used my lockpicks to open the metal door leading to the vault. No sound unless I leaned into the door using the picks; then I couldn't hear the guard as he entered the bedroom.

I was able to ghost it successfully during testing so it is ghostable. And iirc, we knew about the sound issue in that area but it seemed to be fixed in the final beta.

Thanks for your reply, Prof. I have a much earlier hard save that I will have to go back to.

interesting mission...

Thanks for this one, i liked the safe number puzzle, simple and intellegent
    Just one remark, carefull the way you use some of the textures, i´ve noticed a couple of them in the wrong place, such as trim textures in the ceiling...that´s a serious crime

Very nice mission.

Quite much floors covered with loud surfaces makes 'sightseeing' the area quite difficult unless you decided to take all guards down with blackjack or other tools Nice system of hidden alternative ways adds more variety to possible routes of exploring the place.

The only thing that I felt a bit irritating were quite long picking times on some locks. I guess it was for building more tension in the areas where guards could approach and catch you during lockpicking, but for me in general such a long lockpicking is rather boring then exciting, especially when you don't ghost the place and all possible dangers are already unconciouss

This was the first of the SVC contest missions that I played. I was able to finish an Ironman run on Normal without hints in roughly an hour. I managed to collect 3129 in loot. As ghost_in_the_shell noted, there's good use of space here. The alternative routes and the many hidden yet no too hard to find switches make Settling a Score a lot of fun to explore.

I enjoyed the mission's design and the classic style gameplay - two things that really stood out as making this one rough to get through though are the extremely long lockpicking times (I thought the grate at the beginning had to be a joke - then all the doors were multi long stage as well and I knew it wasn't a fluke) and the intense overuse of marble surfaces nearly everywhere.

Other than those two things I thought the mission was well done. Thanks!

I never found Cutty's second note (which is probably the bonus objective). was anyone able to?
    the marble floors were rough, but I didn't mind them after knocking everyone out.
    I feel sorry for the servant who has to go down and stock the fresh vegetables in the basement!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
    I never found Cutty's second note (which is probably the bonus objective). was anyone able to?
    Enjoy the view on the garden.
    Last edited by gnartsch; 9th Jul 2010 at 20:08.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    [..] though are the extremely long lockpicking times (I thought the grate at the beginning had to be a joke [..]
    It really was. The guy walking by you at the beginning had the key to that pick. ><
    That was a pretty sadistic joke imho.

Anyway, cool mission, some original spots too like how you opened the vault or Cutty being there before, leaving hints.

Though I had to go on a blackjack rage after hopeless failures trying to do it no-damage way.

I missed out on some loot, so I just ditched the mission in the end (would've met all of the objectives on normal tho).

Hmm, I found Cutty's notes 1, 2, 3 & 4. Anyone know how many there are and where the rest are located?

Quote Originally Posted by The Elusive One View Post
    Hmm, I found Cutty's notes 1, 2, 3 & 4. Anyone know how many there are and where the rest are located?
    #5: Hint:Did you already find out how to activate the number-boxes?
    #6: Leave the mansion and pretend to be Tarzan. That one is HARD

Quote Originally Posted by The Elusive One View Post
    Six clues there are to be found, yet only five are hidden within the mansion grounds. The sixth can be found if you tempt fate. The Thieves Highway may make you pretty irate.

I think I found the hidden bonus objective: Dewdrop doll in one of the ventilation shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    I think I found the hidden bonus objective: Dewdrop doll in one of the ventilation shafts.
    No, this is not the bonus, just a t-e-r-c-e-S.
    Last edited by gnartsch; 10th Jul 2010 at 12:19.

I am not a long time FM player like 95% of you guys, only having discovered other independent FMs than T2X and Cosas about 2 years ago. That said, I have played about 20 FMs over the past 4 months and I liked this one overall. It was pretty standard Thief fare, with nothing too over-the-top to spoil the mood. It felt like a standard T2 mission to me. That is a good thing, but it does make it somewhat predictable. I could see how some players might find it too easy, unless ghosted on expert.

I played on hard and found the game play to be pretty good overall. I didn't find the 2nd message though, but I went back to an older save and used the spoiler information just to see what it was. I never had a map. The notes say there is a map that is a "placeholder". What is that exactly, if I may ask? All I ever had was a yellowed sheet of torn edged paper... Is it just a "notes" page?

Thanks to the author for submitting this FM. I will not be voting, since I do not feel I have earned that right yet
    Last edited by bjack; 10th Jul 2010 at 16:02.

Quote Originally Posted by bjack View Post
    I never had a map. The notes say there is a map that is a "placeholder". What is that exactly, if I may ask? All I ever had was a yellowed sheet of torn edged paper... Is it just a "notes" page?

Thanks to the author for submitting this FM. I will not be voting, since I do not feel I have earned that right yet
    Hi !
    That's all you get: a blank page - therfor called placeholder. There is no map to be obtained.
    And the authors need to provide at least something, because otherwise Thief would simply crash if you try to view the map.

Distant Quasar
    I never had a map. The notes say there is a map that is a "placeholder". What is that exactly, if I may ask?
    Thanks bjack, I'm glad you enjoyed the mission. Over the years I have experience all sorts of missions, some which blew me away, but I've always enjoyed those which stayed close to the originals...that's something I focused on for this one. As far as the map, there is/was an issue with T2 fan missions that would cause a crash if a map was not supplied and the player tried to view the map. The work-around was to supply a blank "placeholder" map. I'm not sure if this is still an issue, but I always include a placeholder just in case.

If you play all four missions you certainly should vote...you are encouraged to voice you opinion, regardless of how long you've been a member.
    - eep!

Edit: gnartsch beat me to it...that Taffer!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by eepcat View Post
    As far as the map, there is/was an issue with T2 fan missions that would cause a crash if a map was not supplied and the player tried to view the map. The work-around was to supply a blank "placeholder" map. I'm not sure if this is still an issue, but I always include a placeholder just in case.
    That's only a problem with T1 FMs as far as I know, it's not required for T2 FMs.

I played through this mission this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by eepcat View Post
    Edit: gnartsch beat me to it...that Taffer!
    I assume you refer to the fact, that my post showed up first.
    >>I am Tarzan, you are Jane !<<

(insider joke, I hope eepcat does laugh about it)
    Last edited by gnartsch; 10th Jul 2010 at 17:04.

NewDark 64³ Contest Winner
    I enjoyed this mission. Ghosting was pretty difficult, especially with all the marbled floors and the abundance of people in such a small space. I initially felt that there were too many marble floors, but then again there were almost 20 moss arrows to find, and that was enough to take care of most of the problem areas. The first time through, the house seemed quite large, but after knowing exactly where to go, it's amazing how quickly I could maneuver around it.

My only gripe is that the upstairs layout seemed a little unrealistic, with almost nothing up there but the massive bedroom. The upstairs was almost all just comprised of hallways.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawggon View Post
    Has anyone tried to ghost this mission successfully? Playing on Expert.

Wouldn't you know, I'm the one that gets stuck to the wall on a save game. Trying to lean and jump to get loose has ruined my ghosting. EVERYone has heard me now.
    Should have tried darkhook
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/a1ca...Hook_v1.1b.zip
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=127726&page=6

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Congratulations on your release eep ! Very enjoyable ! Very Thiefy, and I liked your map setup, the streets, and the atmosphere I thought was well presented. The basement rooms were fun to explore also. Keep on Taffing !

Just finished this one and found it to be very enjoyable and just plain 'ol thiefy fun!

I really thought the code boxes were neat- I had wondered what those were supposed to be until I got into the vault foyer.

Thanks for a great mission!

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to eepcat for a fun and well-designed FM!

What I liked:

1. Readables were short, yet provided good story content and clear instruction on how to solve puzzles.
    2. Sufficient equipment was available, and its use was encouraged at various locations (which I happily took advantage of).
    3. Burricks and spiders and zombies, oh MY!
    4. Lots of tile made moss arrow usage and tip-toeing a fun and tension-filled requirement.
    5. The number-box puzzle was interesting, logical, well-explained, easily understood, and fun!

Thanks eepcat!
    Last edited by bassmanret; 12th Jul 2010 at 08:55.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast