TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark Mod FM: The Glenham Tower by Sotha (2010/07/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry

Dark Mod FM: The Glenham Tower by Sotha (2010/07/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry

After I busted Lark Butternose out of the Old Town Jail (please see mission: The Beleaguered Fence) I hid and waited for Lark to regain consciousness. When he learned how he got out he was quite happy to offer me a significant portion of his share to our loot. After that our business was concluded and we went our separate ways.

I heard Captain Godfrey Knighton was not at all pleased with the events at the Jail and was still looking for the people who robbed him blind. I decided to disappear and move north to a town called Braeden until things calm down in The City.

After looking for work via the usual channels, I was approached by a bookstore owner named Victor De Grenefeld. He offered me a simple and entirely legal task of retrieving a rare old book from a derelict tower.

The Glenham Tower was originally built by a wealthy family to provide a safe and secluded place to reside in the misty Glenham Moor. The family was disgraced by some kind of scandal and the Tower was later bought by a hermit scholar named Lord Morley who moved in with a single servant. Lord Morley, I learned, was doing some kind of research for the Builders.

Some years ago the inhabitants of the tower simply stopped visiting Braeden anymore to buy supplies and food. The tower was found abandoned and sealed. The original residents, in fear of robbers, had installed an indestructible portcullis which was now closed and there was no way to enter the tower. Many have tried to force their way inside, but the portcullis is impenetrable. The windows are also made of this material.

De Grenefeld told me that an skillful acrobat like me could easily climb the exterior of the tower to the top and gain entrance that way. He would pay a nice sum for a rare old book called 'De Vermis Mysteriis,' which he knows is somewhere inside the tower. I could keep all the other goods I find.

The most dangerous thing would be the Tower itself: De Grenefeld told me that the tower is old and structurally unsafe, but I shouldn't worry if I'm careful enough to watch my step. The task sounded simple enough and the pay is extremely good so I agreed to De Grenefeld's offer.

I need to buy some rope arrows and travel to the Glenham Moor. It is nice to do something legal for a change.

DOWNLOAD FROM ANY OF THESE:

http://www.mediafire.com/?27wf86fcrsz7by9
    http://www.fidcal.com/darkuser/missi...nham_tower.pk4
    http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm...nham_tower.pk4

You can give your score votes for this contest entry at http://modetwo.net/darkmod/index.php...otha-20100717/
    Last edited by Fidcal; 17th Jul 2010 at 16:35.

Thank you kindly

holy crap, this mission is both creepy and horrifying! spoiler (though you should figure it out from the loadout): there are undead!
    the creaky noises, the (shall we say) evidence left behind... not to mention the confined space!
    do not play any time before bed, or if you have a full bladder

*I found a switch in the wine cellar (accessible from outside) - what does that do?
    *how the hell do mines work? sometimes enemies walk over them with no boom, sometimes they get stuck on the mine, sometimes the mine goes off... is this some sort of "your equipment is faulty" realism feature I wasn't aware of? and how do I set one further away than my reach?
    *I have experienced SHAS in the first main stairway, from the study to the bedroom. I had rope arrowed up to the ceiling to avoid the investigating zombies, but on dismount I suddenly screamed and lost my health. this happened on a few tries, from different parts of the rope and different parts of the ceiling arrowed to.
    Last edited by MrMunkeepants; 17th Jul 2010 at 18:58. Reason: SHAS

PLAY IT YOU TAFFERS PLAY IT

@MrMunkeepants
    *I found a switch in the wine cellar (accessible from outside) - what does that do?
    1 itīs brok as itīs old
    *how the hell do mines work? sometimes enemies walk over them with no boom, sometimes they get stuck on the mine, sometimes the mine goes off... is this some sort of "your equipment is faulty" realism feature I wasn't aware of?
    2 never had that prop
    and how do I set one further away than my reach?
    3 hav you tried throwing it along the floor?

from the Dark Mod Gameplay Wiki:
    Inventory Object: Mines
    Place a mine by selecting it in inventory and hitting Use. A short tap will drop the mine at your feet. Holding down Use will throw the mine further away. Once activated in this way, a mine is armed and will go off if stepped on. If you use the Drop key to put the mine down, it is not armed.
    Mines are currently not very sensitive and AI can occasionally step right over them or even kick them without setting them off. Note that you can set mines off by shooting them with an arrow.
    I always forget about holding down keys. back to it, then!

i am not able to play the fm,the file ext is nothing i ever heard of,will there be a regular type file for it?

Remember this is a Dark Mod FM, not Thiefloader. All Dark Mod FMs have the extension .pk4, but TDM can work with .zip too (since stupid IE sometimes converts .pk4 to .zip; I'm pretty sure just to insult our intelligence.)

Where is the sphere and if that is the little blue-green thing where the haunts are in the lower crypts, how do I take it upstairs without them seeing me take it?
    Really a good mission and fun to play

I also cannot play this one...I have renamed the file as .pk4 as I have done with other fms,but it remains a zip file...all other fms change to a folder,but this one doesnt want to

I have installed it and only get the briefing page then when it goes to the mission it crashes my rig.and I am forced to reboot.

am I doing something wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by JonesCrusher View Post
    I also cannot play this one...I have renamed the file as .pk4 as I have done with other fms,but it remains a zip file...all other fms change to a folder,but this one doesnt want to

I have installed it and only get the briefing page then when it goes to the mission it crashes my rig.and I am forced to reboot.

am I doing something wrong here?
    Perhaps a corrupt download. You're running version 1.02 of TDM? Also, you no longer need to rename it to .pk4. TDM can handle zip files now thanks to our last update.

Clearinghouse
    Excellent creepy mission Thanks, Sotha!

holy crap! (I think all my posts in this thread will begin this way)
    my jaw has dropped several times while playing this FM, about the AI alone - the zombies with weapons stuck in them, carrying items (anyone manage to pickpocket the book?), the flaming revenant... are these DM options, or did Sotha make them for this? the effect is great!
    Dark Mod's difficulty of combat has me ghosting past humans a lot more than T2 ever did; with this mission, I just don't want to get close to the AI at all!

two questions:
    *how do I destroy the Sphere (please don't tell me I have to take it all the way up to the acid!) EDIT: yes, that is what you must do. be warned though: it acts as an object, not an inventory item, so you'll have to put it down to open doors. double be warned: the blue fire relights itself!
    *why are all of the zombies naked? what was going on in this house? (I know that's a DM thing, but it's kind of strange)

tip: if you're missing loot, visit the bottom of the shaft from the catacombs
    Last edited by MrMunkeepants; 18th Jul 2010 at 03:45. Reason: finished, defeated lich

opps my bad i though it was thief 2 fm,no wonder it did not work :P,thank you

@MrMunkeepants

*how do I destroy the Sphere (please don't tell me I have to take it all the way up to the acid!)
    Yes you hav to

MrM: The only way I managed to get that book was to kill the zombie with holy water arrows. Not easy to get in 2 or 3 hits before he reaches you! Oh yeah and keep fingers crossed no others are passing through.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    MrM: The only way I managed to get that book was to kill the zombie with holy water arrows. Not easy to get in 2 or 3 hits before he reaches you! Oh yeah and keep fingers crossed no others are passing through.
    You can pick it up, out of the hands of the zombie as it is standing in the room with the deceased inventor on the bed, as you stand at the foot-end of the bed in shadows

Pros: Fun concept, cool design, spooky scripted events

Cons: Got stuck by a couple tables and had to reload. One in the room with the dice in the chest, and the other near the Book I was after.

The first time I played I snuck to the room behind the throne and through the secret door to the wine cellar and the Destroy the Sphere objective vanished. Even after I reloaded in the room behind the throne I didn't get the objective back.

Holy smokes - this is one frightening mission! Brilliant atmosphere, use of sound to trigger fear (the heart beat style ambient music was a great touch) and all the little details that have been mentioned already in this thread with the AI were really great. One of the best Dark Mod missions released thus far!

The only place I had a bit of bother was that I went outside the gates at the very beginning (instead of toward the tower) and for some reason it wouldn't let me back through the gates or over the wall. Not a big deal, but odd regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    Cons: Got stuck by a couple tables and had to reload. One in the room with the dice in the chest, and the other near the Book I was after.
    One of the great things about being on the Doom 3 engine is being able to use cheats for super tough areas (to ease frustration) or to get un-stuck. If you are talking about being stuck in geometry - pop noclip into the console long enough to get yourself unstuck from the table and then disable it - no need to reload unless you've been discovered.

Oo yea you made my day again

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    Perhaps a corrupt download. You're running version 1.02 of TDM? Also, you no longer need to rename it to .pk4. TDM can handle zip files now thanks to our last update.
    ok thank you..Hadnt realised,there was no need to rename zips now.I will try another dload,just in case.

Superb mission, love the foggy atmosphere and undead theme. It runs smooth as silk with full settings on my machine, even with programs running in the background and a heavy window manager. Will there be anymore contest missions coming out ? I'm also curious why the latest missions haven't been posted to thiefmissions.com.

Has anyone tried to use a rope arrow behind door where the burning haunt sits? I snuck in there shot a rope arrow up high and then I grabbed the sphere but when i tried to jump on the rope the sphere fell and was lost!!

Quote Originally Posted by bdkl View Post
    I'm also curious why the latest missions haven't been posted to thiefmissions.com.
    Went to Norway. Link

Quote Originally Posted by pwl View Post
    Has anyone tried to use a rope arrow behind door where the burning haunt sits? I snuck in there shot a rope arrow up high and then I grabbed the sphere but when i tried to jump on the rope the sphere fell and was lost!!
    I did it without the sphere; most of the boards are rotten and will fall away, but if you make it to the top you'll find a way out through the wine cellar.

BTW you can climb with an object in hand, but it's tricky. you have to move very slowly and smoothly, IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by bdkl View Post
    Will there be anymore contest missions coming out ? I'm also curious why the latest missions haven't been posted to thiefmissions.com.
    I do believe there are more to come. However Sotha is very fast and skilled and finished a month ahead of time. (Deadline is Aug 19th)

(Sotha, you do realize this means you have time for a 2nd entry right?)

I started one this weekend too, if he can do one in a month I should be able to right?
    I actually got most of the basic terrain done. Depends how far I want to go and I'm deffinately not throwing in too many special effects, keeping it simple.
    And I can't promise it will be fun but I can promise it will have TONS of vertical.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast