TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

Taking a break

oh jesus not this shit again

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    I rarely felt myself lonely in CoP you almost always can see some humans nearby and in majority of cases - neutral or friendly humans, except maybe on the last map, which was more SoC-like atmosphere-wise.
    Neutral or hostile, humans are humans and you won't feel "lonely" with them around. There were much more of them in SoC.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    There were much more of them in SoC.
    Perhaps if you count people in camps too, I'm not sure about number of people outside of camps -- I think CoP had considerably less monsters and more people comparing to SoC. I felt myslef much more lonely and endangered outside of camps in SoC.

I'd agree with that. I like neutral meetings generally (I also like the random mugging by bandits like in CS, when it works properly). But I think in CoP they were more evenly spread. You didn't have to go far in any direction until you bumped into someone. Them being largely neutral made things seem "safer".
    In SoC it certainly seemed rarer. Depending on the stage of the game, in Dark Valley there's hardly anyone except the small camp of stalkers and the bandit base. Yantar has only a couple of people for much of the game. Agroprom is pretty sparse as well. It was cool when you saw someone wandering your way in the distance and you crouched down to check out who it was. Then it turns out it's just a stalker and you're like "hey, brother. Good to see ya"

Having everyone huddled in small groups and traveling along fairly common paths that you can stray from really made the contrast between safer places and the wilds work a lot better I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    After finishing the game and entering freeplay mode there is absolutely nothing to do in Zaton and Jupiter. I only ever go there to sell loot and maybe do a short artefact hunt or two. Pripyat actually has enemies wandering around, river port and that yubliblabla service center are popular party places for zombies and mercs.
    I can agree with you there. Later into the game my first time, I only went back to Zaton and Jupiter to sell stuff, and get upgrades on equipment.
    Last edited by icarus-liquorice; 28th Feb 2011 at 01:53.

By the way how things are running in Japan, i have a feeling that Stalker 2 will take place in Tokyo.

wow, you are really funny and tasteful.

Taking a break
    And original

Well let´s hope the current situation in japan won´t become more serious, i believe they will overcome this terrible situation, afterall, they already suffered in the past two atomic bombs, that also spread alot of radioactivity throught the japan island, nevertheless, they were able to recover every affected place, also the earthquakes its something wich they are used to, so they have many buildings wich can hold eartquakes of high scale, but as for turmoils it wasn´t part of the plan to one of them invade the japan shore. I pray that this horrible situation in Japan ends soon, nevertheless i got to admit that a game stalker 2 could pretend that this incident would have a different fate, with new fallout areas to explore with new mysterious missions, as we also know that prypiat exits and its a ghost city, but it does not have anomalous areas or mutant monters.

New interview.

From someone better at russian/ukrainian than me:
    • Development is roughly halfway through.
    • First screenshots and videos only 2 or 3 months before the game is out?
    • A single, huge map including all the areas of the game without loading times. Half of those areas were present in one way or another in the previous games.
    • The main character is once again Strelok.
    • The RPG aspect is stronger compared to CoP.
    • A 360 port is almost certain. PS3 port is still up in the air, depending on how much trouble they have with the tech.
    • There might be no multiplayer.
    • No women in the game?
    • Drivable vehicles aren't fully decided yet. Maybe for very specific quests.
    • SDK and modding tools will be there in the same way that they were for the previous games.
    • Same guy on the soundtrack, not working on it yet.
    • 60 people working on the game with a budget of $3M ($7M for the first three episodes).
    • No member of the original 'oblivion lost' team remains at GSC. Most of them went to 4A.
    Last edited by Briareos H; 17th Jul 2011 at 15:10.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    A single, huge map including all the areas of the game without loading times. Half of those areas were present in one way or another in the previous games.
    Hahaha, on 360? I'd like to see that.

The main character is once again Strelok.
    Meh.

[*]No member of the original 'oblivion lost' team remains at GSC. Most of them went to 4A.
    That's why I have a bad feeling about it.

Am I wrong in thinking games like Infamous have done this? I don't play a lot of console games, and I've only actually seen it on a friend's PS3...

It's very possible with dynamic load/unload.

That's why I have a bad feeling about it.
    was anyone of the original team working on COP ? because that turned out pretty well. Or did they leave all after COP ?

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    was anyone of the original team working on COP ? because that turned out pretty well. Or did they leave all after COP ?
    At least few people from the Oblivion Lost team worked on CoP, but majority of the team already had left by that time (and before CS). I still think the original game was much better than others.

I approve of: stronger RPG, media blackout, no MP. Vehicles would be nice, ain`t holding my breath thou.

Xbox somehow manages to handle the Oblivion map which is not small...but of course cities and dungeons load up, and the map is rather procedural. I don`t mind the loading actually - it allows STALKER areas to have more character...don`t think it`s possible to have a fully blown map even on modern PC without compromising on something.

Risen is the only game I can think of where there is almost no loading- but the price is being closed in in paths/areas...not really an "open world".

[*]No women in the game?
    Wrong.

I'll be so 'in' the game it'll make your head spin.

Regarding the 360 thing; I really don't care as long as S2 is developed for the PC first.

Regarding bringing Strelok back as the main character; do they mean you'll play as Strelok, or he'll just be the main focus of the game? If the former, though Strelok is a legend (of sorts), the devs will have to come up with a new slant on his character or it'll just end up boring (imho). In truth, I've rather enjoyed playing as Major Degtaryev.

P.S. Is it me, or does Sergei (in the interview) resemble Nitro?

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking games like Infamous have done this?
    I didn't play inFamous but I did play Prototype, and let me tell you, having whooping three different cars in entire Manhattan wasn't pretty.

1st place in Stalker Cosplay competition. More here ... and these are all INCREDIBLE.

No, really, count me impressed. To top it up, compo was held during an airsoft game...wouldn`t be surprised if they also managed to recreate anomalies somehow.

Only in Russia, etc...

Taking a break
    Pffft, LARPers. Can't even call them cosplayers, since these have next to nothing to do with actual STALKER suits.

Love the oxygen tanks out of what is that - Cola bottles? though.

From the GSC Game World website :"This June another big-scale airsoft cosplay – S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Reality – took place in Kiev vicinity. Traditionally, the tournament provoked great interest among the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. community and the airsoft enthusiasts. The cosplay offered its participants unmatched atmosphere, true game spirit and a plethora of unique costumes hand-crafted after the computer game prototypes."

But, what do they know. Though I`d like to see you call a bunch of crazy Russian militarists (guns that shoot & all) "LARPers", could be fun, this.

I admit some went too far with poetic license...that guy with red pipes & one with half a PC on his back ...still, better than some usual Cosplayer wearing lame make up, white sheet and a glowing tube.

What are you talking about? They are "LARPers" in this instance, LARP stands for Live Action Role Playing. In fact, if they'd just made some costumes and gone to a convention or something that would be just "cosplay" I guess, but since they went out and actually played some airsoft matches all dressed up puts it pretty much in LARP territory. And I'm confused, maybe I'm missing something, but why would cosplayers object to being branded LARPers?

• No member of the original 'oblivion lost' team remains at GSC. Most of them went to 4A.
    This kinda puzzles me a bit. I didn't follow STALKER's early development, I only know the bits and pieces that I've stumbled on long after launch, but didn't a bunch of people whine about how the final package that SoC ended up wasn't as open-world as originally intended with Oblivion Lost? And then these guys, who had first set out to do this game that was more open than SoC, then all moved to working on Metro? Disagreements in the office, or something? Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Metro 2033, I think it's fantastic at what it wants to do, but it's about as open-world as the mine levels in Unreal.

It's very possible with dynamic load/unload.
    A cell-based world approach like Bethesda's could possibly work, but there's one thing that nags at me with that - correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, SoC pretty much processed AI actors and events across the entire loaded map, didn't it? I definitely remember stuff happening at the other end of the map entirely in my absence. Or was it just a select handful of AI items that got earmarked for persistent processing, with the others becoming active on proximity? Anyhow, in comparison, Oblivion and Fallout 3 only process actors in nearby cells, and granted, Beth's AI implementations weren't built to be the most efficient and that sort of processing probably takes more of a toll on the CPU than on RAM, but it does make me wonder how easily STALKER's gameplay would lend itself to being streamed in and out around the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    Regarding bringing Strelok back as the main character; do they mean you'll play as Strelok, or he'll just be the main focus of the game? If the former, though Strelok is a legend (of sorts), the devs will have to come up with a new slant on his character or it'll just end up boring (imho). In truth, I've rather enjoyed playing as Major Degtaryev.
    This kinda brings back our conversation about Garrett, but hey, if the hat fits - for me, it's precisely because Strelok is a "legend (of sorts)" that I wouldn't want to see him return as the protagonist. It's the whole thing about succeeding against improbable odds - happens once, you're a hero; happens a couple of times, you're like borderline unbelievably awesome; happens ad nauseam, you're a character that I just can't relate to anymore, either the messianic Chosen One™ or some ridiculous comicbook superhero. So yeah, whether for the same reasons or not, on the issue of Strelok coming back I agree with you and Koki - meh.

But this also touches on another fear of mine, that, ironically, playing as Strelok again might be fitting for a possible flaw with the game, at least for existing fans. See, one of the things I really loved about SoC was when I looked back from the latter moments of the game and got this really great sensation of development, moreso than your average RPG or Action-RPG. It wasn't that I'd just learned the rules of the game and some stats increased on my summary sheets, the continued presence of the unknown up ahead, a particularly dangerous and frightening unknown at that, really wrapped it all up in a wonderfully tense and brutally formative experience. But now I'm a couple of hours into my first playthrough of CoP and while I'm loving the game, that particular feeling is missing - Degtaryev is new to the Zone, but I'm not. My equipment is low-end and there are some new mechanics to get accustomed to, but ultimately I'm familiar with the world. I first saw a bunch of snorks hopping around the ship and it was like - "Oh. Snorks. Great. I didn't miss them. And now they travel in packs, too. Wonderful". Contrast this to the first time I saw one crawling around Rostok, "What the FUCK is that! Fuck this shit, I am NOT visiting the Ukraine!"

I'm rambling a bit there, but I do think that's gonna be a challenge for them, harnessing that same fiction and setting to recreate that sensation of intimidating novelty for returning players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    But now I'm a couple of hours into my first playthrough of CoP and while I'm loving the game, that particular feeling is missing - Degtaryev is new to the Zone, but I'm not. My equipment is low-end and there are some new mechanics to get accustomed to, but ultimately I'm familiar with the world. I first saw a bunch of snorks hopping around the ship and it was like - "Oh. Snorks. Great. I didn't miss them. And now they travel in packs, too. Wonderful". Contrast this to the first time I saw one crawling around Rostok, "What the FUCK is that! Fuck this shit, I am NOT visiting the Ukraine!"
    This pretty much sums up how I felt when starting CoP. The environments were new (which was good in CS as well), but it's still STALKER. It's something the book itself captured as well - fear of the unknown. Us veterans of three previous STALKER games are very familiar with the world now, and there's little of that excitement of the novel.

Do you reckon that problem could be solved with all-new monsters and anomalies? Or is it the fundamental rules of the game world (monsters in the wilderness; random anomalies; some STALKERS like me but the military doesn't) that are getting tired?

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by dexterward View Post
    But, what do they know. Though I`d like to see you call a bunch of crazy Russian militarists (guns that shoot & all) "LARPers", could be fun, this.
    Yeah, what do they know? It's just a publicity piece after all. And yeah, guns shooting paint are very scary. Are you an airsofter yourself? It takes an airsofter to take pride in play pretend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig
    And I'm confused, maybe I'm missing something, but why would cosplayers object to being branded LARPers?
    Welll, LARPing is hogher on the patheticness scale than cosplaying.

I definitely remember stuff happening at the other end of the map entirely in my absence.
    Then it's definitely time to lay off the pills. Or start taking the pills, whichever it is

Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    And I'm confused, maybe I'm missing something, but why would cosplayers object to being branded LARPers?
    Dunno, probably wouldn`t. But some Russian fellas might have, if you believe the cliches and my experience as their neighbour. Anyway, it was a joke in an argument with Koki, and as such excused from much sense.

Are you an airsofter yourself? It takes an airsofter to take pride in play pretend.
    I`m not, but I`m a computer gamer. I shoot guns that fire zeroes and ones, slumped in a chair. I pretend that other zeroes and ones are my enemies. Hey, you do, too! :) Ain`t that pathetic?

Yet again, I think it would be hilarious watching you proposing this argument to a bunch of crazy Russian airsofters. I thought you`d know better, aren`t you supposed to be polish or something?
    Last edited by dexterward; 19th Jul 2011 at 07:48.