TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Does anyone have any idea where I can buy iodine powder and potassium idodide?

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy iodine powder and potassium idodide?

Hey, I know for a fact that at least some of you are professionally clever: anyone know any good places to get (ideally cheap) reagents? I need to make some special contrast medium stuff (lugols solution or whatever) at a far higher solution strength than I can buy ready made, so I need some iodine powder and some postassium iodide powder. Any ideas?

ITS NOT FOR TERRORISM

I'm not professionally clever, but somehow manage to recall odd things of little importance to me. Like bits and pieces of Dansdata articles from ages past.

http://www.hyperdeath.co.uk/chemicals/inorganic.php

No idea about the regulations some of these places have, prices or if they supply in the quantity you're interested in (and the page title isn't going to help with the whole terrorism thing, let's face it). It's a start I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    ITS NOT FOR TERRORISM
    So, Magic Missile, Colour Spray or Vivian's Horrid Wilting then.

Does anyone have an idea where I can get: black ski-mask, gloves, gun, and getaway vehicle?

IT'S NOT FOR BANK ROBBERY

(couldn't resist)

It's from Australia. Dissolved in a liquid, it's colorless, odorless, tasteless, and among the deadliest poisons known to man.

Chakat sex pillow
    Vegemite?

ITS NOT FOR TERRORISM
    Ok, I'll buy that as long as you don't ask about ammonia next.

Sigma?

Ok, they may have issues about delivering to a non-research/industry address, but they ARE the general go-to suppliers for most laboratory chemicals..

Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
    Vivian's Horrid Wilting then.
    The only reagent you need for that is a picture of Ann Widdecombe.

Back in the '80s I was able to buy small (half ounce or so) glass bottles of various chemicals at the local hobby shop. You know, for the kids who had chemistry sets and stuff. I dunno if that's still a viable purchasing channel or not.

You might also check with your local pharmacy for the iodine powder.

A lot of homeschoolers use Carolina Bio Supply for chemistry supplies and they appear to have the potassium iodide but but the powder (though they do have solution). You could also try Home Science Tools which we've used a lot this year.

Research Organics would be good bet. That's where I shop.

Thanks for the tips guys, but I accidentally angered the health and safety gods at the lab and I now have to do all this by-the-book crap (so we have to use Sigma). What the fuck is a fume hood?

PS - hyperdeath.co.uk is an unexpectedly serious research site. Sounds like it should be a repository for quake maps.

What the fuck is a fume hood?
    Small space for the storage of first-years. Enablers for chronic pot smokers. etc
    (I'm sure this is a joke, but here's one in action in case anyone is wondering.)

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    The only reagent you need for that is a picture of Ann Widdecombe.
    That's a little cruel, she's over 60 these days and was a lot easier on the eye in her youth - as can be said for us all.

I always rather liked her sense of humour too, and reckon she'd be a great dinner party guest. Ann come come for tea at my house anytime
    Last edited by Ulukai; 15th Oct 2010 at 12:08. Reason: wrong url

I remember her talking on Radio 4 about her "Doris Karloff" nickname and she was really cool about it. She even said that as a woman sometimes you have to expect a "rough ride in the chamber", meaning the House of Commons of course, but the interviewer never picked up on the disgraceful innuendo of it! I loled.

I now have to do all this by-the-book crap
    Just wait for everyone else to go home. Then break out the chemicals! S'what I do. By morning all the toxic clouds and shit have usually diffused away.

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    [...]By morning all the toxic clouds and shit have usually diffused away.
    Unless you die from the fumes (there is a reason for Fume Hoods), and the mixture and your body are there for evidence.