TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fallout New Vegas Has Landed...

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    That's my bad, actually. So... correction: you work in the industry. As what, though? You do reviews, do you not?
    I've done a few freelance gigs but I mostly write/review stuff for my blog I.Eat.Games.

Speaking about bugs, this is some freaky shit.

Quote Originally Posted by warcrow View Post
    Also I want to add a note that the cursing in the game got to a point where I was sort of winced. Itís not that Iím offended by foul language when it has its place, but there were times in New Vegas where it felt forced and unnecessary. Fallout 3, I felt, was able to get their point across without any cursing whatsoever. So fair warning to those sensitive about this stuff. I'm usually not bothered by this sort of thing and for whatever reason it was a bother in a few places.
    Fallout 3 had strong language in places, not enough of it in my opinion (if used correctly). Also this is a pretty weird point to make for a game with plenty of gore, but I guess some people are sensitive about those things. But unless you played some weird edited version of the original Fallout games I'd say strong language is definitely in place.

Overall sounds promising though, aside from the bugfest. Might just wait for the GOTY version because you know it'll have all the "DLC" they're stockpiling and hopefully some of the more serious bugs will have been adressed. Who knows, someone might've even modded in a TARDIS somewhere by then

I've been getting PMs, IMs and tweets asking various questions about the game and strategies, so I've decided to create a bit of a protips post! I'm going to put them all in one pro-place so all the tips can be protips for everyone who wants to be pro!

PS - I'm not a pro--and I certainly dont know everyhting about the game--but I'll do my best to share some of the knowledge I've aquired through my experience with the game.

Saving
    Don't reply on the autosave system. Create at least 6 manual save slots and rotate them every 10-15 minutes. This will save your ass, and not necessarily because of bugs either, in the future. It's a good practice that doesn't take up very much time and can save you a mountain of frustration later in the game. I speak from experience.

X360 Performance
    If you're experiencing hitching/stuttering/extensive load times then clear the cache on your HDD and reboot the system. This helped me out in most cases where I experienced performance issues. It's a bit of a pain to deal with, and frankly shouldn't have to be done, but FNV is an excellent game making this all worthwhile.

Invisible Walls
    There are some places (not located at the edge of the game world) that have invisible walks restricting access. In my experience they tend to be located around rocks and ledges to prevent jumping/slipping around areas to gain early or unwanted access. It's annoying. So fair warning there are areas that might look accessible via shortcut but, in actuality, are not.

Hardcore mode & Health
    When you experience a limb injury you have two options in HC mode--see a doc or use a Doctors Bag. Here's the best practice I found.

Remember the locations of all the doctors you meet (there isn't a lot out there so it's no real feat) and fast travel to them before using the doctors bag. Fast travel is possible in HC mode when you have a limb injury. Doctor Bags should be reserved only for missions where you cannot fast travel, like missions located indoors like caves or bunkers. I would recommend keeping a stock of about 10 Doctor Bags in your pack at all times. At 1lb apiece they do add up.

Empty bottles
    Though I wish it were a feature (especially in HC mode) you cannot--at least in my experience--fill empty bottles with water.

Food
    be careful, some food and drinks (sodas) actually increase your thirst levels. This can bit you in the ass in the most inappropriate times.

Leveling
    The level cap is set to 30

Companions
    You can have a total of Rex (the dog) + 1 companion in your party. Try not to lose track if them. If they manage to disappear then "wait" in the location you last saw them for a few days and they should find their way to you. In HC mode this will require a LOT if food and water so heads up! Also try visiting their homebase (where you met them) to see if they snapped there.

Health
    There are warnings, located right above the compass, alerting you when you reach critical levels for food, water, sleep & limb damage. All negative (& positive) effects ate located on your Pipboy under Stats> Status> EFF.

Housing
    At the risk of spoiling I'm going to answer this one in public: Yes there is a house, or suite rather, that you aquire in the game that is similar to the Ten Penny suite in Fallout 3. Yes there are upgrades you can purchase for it too.

Bobbleheads
    There are no bobbleheads in the game, but there are snowglobes. The snowglobes can be sold to a collector for a large sums of money, but do not boost stats like the bobbleheads. Plus, there is a display case for the bobbleheads in your home much like the bobblehead case in Fallout 3.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    Speaking about bugs, this is some freaky shit.
    That's, like, Silent Hill-worthy.

I've acquired an annoying temptation to grab this, but I really think I should wait a while until there's been some time for the bugs that always plague newly released RPGs (especially Bethesda's) to be patched up, and for the essential mods to fix the worst annoyances (probably interface again?)

I see that Crazy Steam Pricing is in effect again, too. €50 as a digital download on Steam, €35 boxed retail anywhere else...

250 meg patch just hit. As usual, Steam doesn't have any news listed for it.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    from the FO wiki:

Fallout: New Vegas patch 1.1.0.268 was released on October 20, 2010 for the PC version of the game only. It fixes some of the game's quest and scripting-related bugs. It is automatically downloaded via Steam.

250 megs and it still overwrites the quick/autosaves everytime the game starts. You would think with 2 companies testing this shit, they'd catch this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by warcrow View Post

Empty bottles
    Though I wish it were a feature (especially in HC mode) you cannot--at least in my experience--fill empty bottles with water.
    One of the items you can craft at a camp fire via survival skill is Cactus Water (Prickly Bear + Empty Bottle). It's basically purified water, no rads or any other negatives.

no love for skidrow itt

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    Yeah, totally, looks like I'm severely out of date with this stuff. And I imagine henke might be interested in as well.
    Not really. I'm not going to get FO3 for PC just for the mods. My interest was mainly to find out if there is an active modding community and if NV might be worth getting for PC. I think it might just be. But I'll wait with buying NV till the Christmas holidays. The bugs will hopefully be ironed out and there might even be some great mods by then. Also I played, and replayed, FO3 over the past 2 christmases, so spending the holiday in the wasteland is starting to be a tradition.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I usually spend my holidays in France, 1944 or dealing with the horrors of space.

RPS says bland, lazy, empty and basically unfinished and unloved. I'm therefore waiting for a sale and a spare week, by which time a better game might have come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    no love for skidrow itt
    lol I see what you did there...

And.....I got me a retail copy today. I have restarted 3 times now. I am getting anal about my char.'s build. Huff. I am getting ALL OCD about this game for some-odd reason.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    RPS says bland, lazy, empty and basically unfinished and unloved. I'm therefore waiting for a sale and a spare week, by which time a better game might have come out.
    It's also in complete contrast to just about every other review so far. The way that review's written, it makes it sound like the entire game's full of messed-up scriptwriter/level designer miscommunication, boring conversations, and lazy design in general, but everybody else has been praising things like the side quests and the dialogue. Perplexing disparity in opinion on RPS's part, but hell, people have a right to feel the way they want to. Quinns' write-up, however, just seems to be one-sided.

I'm a bit wary, but willing to give NV a shot purely on the basis of Obsidian getting back to the Fallout universe.

This game is AWESOME. More impressive than the opening 4 hours of Fallout3. This could be my GotY.

Hmm. I dunno. I'll keep an eye on trusted sources and we'll see, but that RPS review certainly took the edge off my enthusiasm.

Quintin Smith is the new Jim Sterling. Sadly I'm not sure I'm even half joking.

Oh yeah, I've heard turning off Steamcloud saves [and or going offline] stops the save overwriting problem. Needless to say a Steamworks feature fucking up amuses me greatly, almost as much as people citing bugs which have been present since Oblivion in 2006 and were never fixed in Fallout 3 as compelling evidence that Obsidian cannot into bug fixing.
    Last edited by Zygoptera; 21st Oct 2010 at 18:55.

Oh, even retail boxed versions use Steam and Steamworks? Cool, that means I'd still get achievements if I don't buy it on Steam. I'm sure we'll have some people complaining about that one soon enough, though.

Still, it highlights even further the price disparity I was complaining about between Steam and retail.

Overall it sounds like they've fixed some of Fallout 3's fail and given it better writing, but with a larger than usual set of initial release bugs. I'll wait until they've patched the hell out of it before buying.

Reminds me of the good old days when everyone was screaming about Fallout 2's buggy car...

BTW the reviewer complaining about the pronunciation of "Caesar" is clearly not clever enough to make the Caesar->Latin connection.
    Last edited by PeeperStorm; 21st Oct 2010 at 22:05.

They released a day 1 250 meg patch to fix a pile of scripting issues, and earlier today they issued a small patch that fixed the quick/autosave bug. The only "bugs" I've seen aside from the overwritten-saves one is the standard radiant AI getting on stuck on things feature, which isn't remotely game breaking (and it fixes itself anytime you sleep/wait anyway).

Taking a break
    Is it true the game is not balanced for crouch?

heh

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    Did that idiot seriously praise FO3's universally-loathed subway slogs?