TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fallout New Vegas Has Landed...

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I actually liked the subways, but it's definitely true they're quite a bit of a maze.

I liked the subways. They were mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I actually liked the subways, but it's definitely true they're quite a bit of a maze.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    I liked the subways. They were mysterious.
    I liked them. They were basically, just an 'urban cave system'. However, they did grow a bit monotonous and achingly similar after a while.

I would say the subway system was my least favourite aspect of Fallout 3. I got confused more than a couple of times and I just didn't find it interesting compared to the factories and warehouses. The inner-city streets were spectacularly well designed I thought.

As for Fallout New Vegas, well I'm no sure yet. The game crashes on my new laptop every 5 minutes no matter what I'm doing and there are noticeable frame-rate problems too. It's worse than Fallout 3 or Oblivion and that's saying something.

Level 10,000 achieved
    That fact that you often had to travel through the subways took some of the fun out of them. If they'd just been really dangerous deathmazes which hid valuable treasure they might've been more exciting to enter. If it felt like, "we don't go there", y'know. Yeah. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by quinch View Post
    I would say the subway system was my least favourite aspect of Fallout 3. I got confused more than a couple of times and I just didn't find it interesting compared to the factories and warehouses. The inner-city streets were spectacularly well designed I thought.

As for Fallout New Vegas, well I'm no sure yet. The game crashes on my new laptop every 5 minutes no matter what I'm doing and there are noticeable frame-rate problems too. It's worse than Fallout 3 or Oblivion and that's saying something.
    Do you use CCCP or K-Lite? If so, make sure to add the .exe to the FFDShow Audio Decoder Configuration's exclusion list. You'll probably notice morrowind.exe and oblivion.exe already in there, HMMM I WONDER WHY

Seems to have sorted itself out now thanks. Probably stealth patch via Steam. I was worried because I didn't see the swivel head bug so thought I was up-to-date.

The game is really kicking off now at the strip.

I'm something like 25 hours into it and it's fucking fantastic. Still haven't been to the strip, and it feels like there's a ton of stuff I need to do yet.

Right, so how is the TTLG consensus-o-meter leaning at the moment? Are we going for 'this is an awesome game and RPS is wrong'? I really enjoyed FO3, even though the writing was mostly bad. Should I get this?

I played for about 45 minutes, and my general consensus is, if you like Fallout 3, you'll love New Vegas, especially since the writing seems by all accounts to be much tighter.

I'm also enjoying the atmosphere and music a great deal more, and the characters tend to have a tad more... character.

The music in New Vegas DESTROYS Fallout 3's 'music'.

Are you talking ambient music or radio music?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    If it's ambient music he's talking about, New Vegas wins hands down. It's nice to hear some of the old tracks from Fallout 1 and 2 as well.

If it's the radio, Fallout 3 still gets it. I never turned Galaxy News Radio off. In New Vegas, I never turn the radio on anymore. The songs are good but too slow for my taste. That and the fact that the tracks are spread across 3 radio stations, so if you listen to the same one for more than 10 minutes you start hearing the same songs. Hell, I heard "Jingle Jangle" twice in a row.

That said, Black Mountain Radio is hilarious.

Ahhh. I actually just slapped a bunch of Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 music into the music folder when playing Fallout 3, since the FO1+2 music was so much better.

Galaxy News... I found it got very repetitive, too. Especially "Butcher Pete", why did it play that song so often?

Because a song that gratuitously mentions hacking things up is more likely than not to be amusingly appropriate to player actions.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Smith View Post
    I never turned Galaxy News Radio off.
    I shot Three Dog in the head.

Level 10,000 achieved

For those of you having trouble getting started

SomethingAwful put together this very helpful walkthrough of the early parts of FO:NV.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    I shot Three Dog in the head.
    This also has hilarious results on station when you do it.

I know, I do like the fact that the designers accounted for that turn of events! Though oddly enough the BoS don't seem to figure it out, so I guess it was thought of as an instance of the player being a dick rather than a valid roleplaying choice, which is a bit of a downer because I think it's a very logical and sensible move for some types of characters in that context.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Ambient. The radio is kinda ass in New Vegas and loops WAY too often. Though ROFLMAO @ Black Mountain Radio.

a most disapoiting suprise

I got this game today as a birthday gift, when i check the back of the jewel box i saw one of my worst nightmares :" needs steam activation", i never expected that bethesda software would add this horrible steam application, just one question, i know i have to create an account via steam, but im i also forced to download additional files to launch this game? my internet is slow, its enough to activate a product but to download files it takes ages!!!

I loved fallout 3 and im very sad and angry that Fallout new vegas comes with steam

will there be a "game of the year edition" for this game?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by cardia1 View Post
    just one question, i know i have to create an account via steam, but im i also forced to download additional files to launch this game? my internet is slow, its enough to activate a product but to download files it takes ages!!!
    Yes. There's been at least one 200MB patch since release.

The only thing it'll download is patches (255.9 MB), and you can opt out of that if you like (properties -> updates -> do not automatically update this game). You'll likely want all the patches you can get with this one, though.

will there be a "game of the year edition" for this game?
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes. They haven't developed a game since the 90's that didn't have a GOTY edition, unless you count the IHRA Drag Racing stuff.

EDIT: Oh yeah and happy birthday! Or a horrible Steam-ruined birthday as it may be!