TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post
    Fantastic Mr Fox disagrees with you (a little... )
    Wha..? Fantastic Mr. Fox is probably the most Wes Anderson of Wes Anderson movies. It just happens that a lot of his stylistic tendencies work a lot better in animation than in live action.

re: Brothers Grimm: I don't have a link handy, but Gilliam is on record saying that the theatrical cut is his cut of the film, and the Weinsteins didn't fuck with him at all on it. I think it's a movie that would be thought much more highly of if it weren't from Gilliam. As a Terry Gilliam film it just doesn't feel like it has the imagination or visual inventiveness that his best films do, so it gets knocked down quite a few pegs.

I actually think Matthew Vaughn might have been an interesting choice. He's not the most visually striking director, but he knows how to juggle a cast, and Stardust shows that he can hit the fairy tale vibe that The Hobbit should be going for.

As it is, Jackson still has a lot of goodwill from me for LotR, but I'm not tremendously excited for The Hobbit anymore.

Wait... the Lord of the Rings had humour in it?

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Wait... the Lord of the Rings had humour in it?
    I am still puzzling over this question...

(I do recall a "joke"(?) about Dwarf women having beards... )

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man View Post
    Where the Buffalo Roam - at least in my opinion - is a far superior adaptation.
    I liked the main cast, but the general tone of the film (because of cinematography and script and whatever else, I don't know about how they make movies) was too silly, I think, to do justice to the novel's insane claustrophobic style. But I suppose, given the choice, I'd much rather experience the story from inside Thompson's head than outside it, so for me, Gilliam's adaptation had a lot more impact. Even if it was totally disjointed, and even if was romanticized compared to Buffalo's mostly sober approach.

I like movies that make me feel as intoxicated as their characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man View Post
    Where the Buffalo Roam - at least in my opinion - is a far superior adaptation.
    Thompson hated that film, and Bill Murray's portrayal.

Personally, I got a kick out of it back in the 80s, when I wasn't very familiar with Thompson's writings -- and I still pop it in for a good laugh.

---

Fafhrd - 100% agreement on Fantastic Mr. Fox. As far as the Brother's Grimm thing, I'm recalling an interview I'd heard from Gilliam, at the time of Tideland's completion, stating that it wasn't the film he had wanted to make due to interference from the muckity-mucks -- which led to the over "creativity" (we'll say) of Tideland.
    Last edited by Queue; 19th Oct 2010 at 19:29.

Previously Important
    Thompson hated the film, but liked Bill Murray. Rumor (and vague recollection of an HST interview) has it that Bill Murray was probably the only real, close friend Thompson had.

(edit: aha found the film comment)
    Bookpgsara: What did you think of Where the Buffalo Roam?

Hunter Thompson: Horrible pile of crap. Murray did a good job. But it was a bad script. You can't beat a bad script. It was just a horrible movie. A cartoon. But Bill Murray did a good job. We actually wrote and shot several different endings and beginnings and they all got cut out in the end. It was disappointing. Not to mention that I have to live with it. It's like go into a bar somewhere and people start to giggle and you don't know why, and they're all watching that fucking movie.

According to Wikipedia, Murray was Thompson, at least for a year or so after making the film.

Terrible decision

Why do you think so? Is he too specifically Tim/Arthur Dent/Doctor Watson? Or do you dislike him as an actor? (Just had a moment of reading the post as "Gordon Freeman cast as Bilbo". Or was that Morgan Freeman? Lester Freamon?)

Previously Important
    I love the idea of Martin Freeman cast as Bilbo. For one thing, he's as physically credible as a young Ian Holm as Ewan McGregor was a young Alec Guinness. I think so, at least.

Also I have only just last week finished watching The Office for the first time, and I'm just impressed with Freeman anyway.

Given that all I know of him is as Arthur and Tim, he seems a great choice to play another simple, normal, slightly too-cautious character thrust into the world of titanic consequence and frightful adventure.

Maaay not be able to pull off eccentric well enough to be Bilbo, but in Peter Jackson's capable hands, who knows?

I don't think Bilbo is eccentric is he? He's the sensible, steady centre the reader needs to be able to relate to. From what I remember anyway.

Bilbo is suppose to be mostly a typical Hobbit which means that he doesn't like excitement or strangers and strongly inclined to avoid things that are not considered "normal" by other Hobbits. But he has a hidden inner-streak of adventurous spirit that he has always ignored until hoisted into action.

He and the Hobbits represent the dull, submissive, conformist society that Tolkien believed he lived in. Tolkien wanted his fellow Britons to be strong and adventurous like their pre-Norman forefathers whose culture was closer to Nordic warrior culture.

An anti-social, nebbish, conformist, with a humorous sense of curiosity and trouble-making is the prototype. Woody Allen? Larry David? (God NO! ...but that is the personality except less verbal)...

I don't rate him as an actor at all really. He's done the exact same thing in at least three different roles that I can remember.

I thought everyone was already agreed that Arthur Dent is Bilbo Baggins. Just in space.

Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post
    Bilbo is suppose to be mostly a typical Hobbit which means that he doesn't like excitement or strangers and strongly inclined to avoid things that are not considered "normal" by other Hobbits. But he has a hidden inner-streak of adventurous spirit that he has always ignored until hoisted into action.
    This also sounds like Freeman's character Arthur Dent. I think he'll be great as Bilbo.

Trailer is released a year ahead

I suppose it's inevitable but it feels like a retread... I have no idea how fundamentally different The Hobbit story is to the Lord of the Rings.

Still not a huge fan of Freeman as Bilbo.

are you saying you havent read The Hobbit?

I never even finished LOTR.

Awesome - I always like it when the last information I've got is about some organizational issues (I thought Peter Jackson didn't want to direct it?) and the next thing I get is a complete trailer.

At least this time it's about a book I've read. 20 years ago - give or take.

Singing dwarves makes me happy in my soul. And the shots of them cleaning up after/during the dinner at Bag End makes it look like Jackson actually is going for the more children's story aspects of the book.

The trailer looked a bit undecided to me, at least in that respect. Are they going for big'n'epic, to appeal to the people who loved Lord of the Rings, or are they going for the children's book feel? The trailer sort of wobbles between the two; I hope the film will be a bit more tonally consistent... although, as much as I love what Jackson did with LotR, consistency of tone is definitely not one of his strengths.

El Shagmeister
    I wanted to see Smaug....

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    I never even finished LOTR.
    It all makes sense now.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.