Thread: The Thief Reloaded Contest

Southquarter.com/fms

The Thief Reloaded Contest

OK, time for another contest...

Southquarter presents:

The Thief
    R E L O A D E D
    Contest

Create a new mission in Dromed using any existing Thief level as a base. This level could be either an OM or an FM, but it must be a level that has been released to the public as a complete mission (no abandoned misisons, please). Child of Karras' TDS City Mission is OK to use.

Change anything you want within the level, including but not limited to:

• AI
    • Textures
    • Objects
    • Sound
    • Objectives
    • Readables
    • Terrain

While there won't be any building restrctions, the intention of this contest is to take someone else's mission and give it an entirely different feel. This could be done by coming up with a completely new story, a total graphical makeover, a complete redesign in gameplay, or anything else you can think of.

The idea is NOT to take a well-known mission like Life of the Party, add a burrick to the top of Angelwatch, and call it your own.

As an assist, Yandros & NV have come up with a file that will help delete old data from a mission file. Get it here. Check out the readme for the details, but you can essentially delete old AI, objectives, markers, keys, and books quickly to get a clean start (btw, thanks for the file guys!)

Also, if using an OM, you can get the unstripped versions of all the OMS at The Circle (link). Use these instead of the ones in your Thief directory, which are incomplete for editing purposes.

Other items:

Entries can come from individuals or teams.
    Thief 1 or 2 are OK for a base or finished mission. Port overs are allowed (i.e. take Bafford's and port it into T2).
    If you use an FM, you MUST get permission from the original author. I will be checking this.
    You are allowed to use your own previously released FMs as a base.
    Missions must be submitted by February 1st, 2011. There will be a status check mid January to see if anyone needs an extension.

Missions will be rated by players on the basis of:

Originality - The amount of uniqueness and creativity used in the transformation.
    Atmosphere - General mood and overall feel of the mission.

Prizes to be determined (I'll steal something from somewhere). Good luck to all!

Added 1/11/11:

For anyone ready to send their entry, there are a couple of options:

1) Send me an email to the address listed in my profile. I believe my ISP has a 10 MB limit on attachments though.

2) There's an upload tool at www.southquarter.com/uploads. Try that, although I know these things aren't always reliable.

3) FTP to ftp.southquarter.com, and use this login/password: squploads/Garrett1

4) Send me a link to the file on your website, or a file sharing service, or whatever else you can whip up.

Whichever you choose, you might want to follow up with a PM to confirm I got the file.
    Last edited by Brethren; 11th Jan 2011 at 18:09.

team work is allowed ?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhide View Post
    team work is allowed ?
    Yes, I addressed that point:

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Other items:

Entries can come from individuals or teams.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Cool Brethren, sounds terrific ! Right in my ball game !

I don't see why you're disallowing crossovers - it limits the possibility of expanding OMs, since I'd say most players would prefer to play Thief 2 FMs (and certainly most DromEdders prefer working with DromEd2).

Also, are people allowed to "reload" their own FM?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I don't see why you're disallowing crossovers - it limits the possibility of expanding OMs, since I'd say most players would prefer to play Thief 2 FMs (and certainly most DromEdders prefer working with DromEd2).
    Just to avoid any messy copyright arguments. I personally couldn't care less, but you know someone out there will bitch about it.

I guess I'll put it this way - it's Digi's board, if he doesn't have a problem with it, then either do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Also, are people allowed to "reload" their own FM?
    Interesting, I hadn't even thought of that. I guess I don't see why not since the point of the contest is to change the base. I'll add that to rules.

Classical Master 2008
    Excellent concept. I hope people make something genuinely new and inspiring from one of the OMs; since you don't have to be doing all the building, even fairly ambitious projects could be realised within the contest period.

Still not sure if I'll take part, though I will have a think if there's a base mission that inspires me.

As another note, if anyone wants to use one of my missions as a base, they are quite welcome (as long as I'm credited of course). Whether you'd want to or not is another question...

@nicked, You have made some outstanding fms nicked !

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    I'm going to do my best to get a mission out for this.
    Count me in.

Me too!

The Architect
    I'd be pretty thrilled if someone used the Ivory Rose from Mission X as their base. Just watch out for the brush limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    I'd be pretty thrilled if someone used the Ivory Rose from Mission X as their base. Just watch out for the brush limit.
    You know, Mission X would be a perfect candidate for a revamp with the two-player co-op mode I did in Among Two Storms. Instead of choosing between different paths, you could play them all by switching between thieves...

Applying as Betatester
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

I'm excited contests are always interesting and this concept is really cool......espeacially fpr people like me that played countless FMs and of course can play the OMs blind.....

but i see one problem someone takes a well known mission.....and changes it in a very good way.....everyone will recognise and could compare to the original.....but if someone takes a not so well known mission there's not the same chance of people who can compare and maybe those missions will get a not so good rating even if they are "better" ( always personal meaning) than the other....and yeah I know you can play the original and than the contest mission....but believe not everyone will do that.........

but hey.....a contest that means a bunch of missions in a row

good luck guys.....

The Architect
    I no longer worry about T1/Gold/2 crossovers. Do it at your own risk. Have fun.

One of the best contest ideas EVER! I'm way too excited to wait until february

Just think a bit about it - there are TONS of ideas of what can be done with so many FM's out there!

Just imagine:

Finial's Stowaway set in winter, a haunted First City Bank, an Eclipsed with normal life and no haunted places, or anything like thjis. I hope there won't be too many Life of the Party entries, also.

Classical Master 2008
    Why not? I'd play a good Life of the Party re-edit. Just remember Lord Fishkill's Curse by Shadowspawn, something like that would be neat. Even an update with a different texture job and improved architecture might be interesting.

I almost considered turning a part of Ambush! into a rooftopping mission for a moment, but then I realised my main PC doesn't run Thief anymore, my Dromed skills have declined severely and I can't even manage my TDM projects properly due to lack of time.

Clearinghouse
    The Lazy Project by Lady Rowena will consist of three missions that are based on OMs.

I'm gonna turn Sepulture of Sinistral into a rooftop mission!

You never mentioned if the contest was supposed to be anonymous or not.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    I'm gonna turn Sepulture of Sinistral into a rooftop mission!
    Too late, there is already a rooftop in it!

(really)

I really hope more Taffers show an interest in this contest. It would be wayyyyy Cooooolllll !

Edit: I am also currently building :Castle of the Dead/ The Abyss ( A mulitbrush Port to T2)
    Edit: I am currently trying to finish "Dark is the Lair" for January, but I will clean up an "OM" for anyone who needs one. I have alot of experience at it. Also if you Multibrush to port to T2, I suggest pre-setting your grid snap in a new .Cow,(moo !) before loading into a new map.
    If the grid size was 12, I suggest grid snapping to 12. I have multibrushed entire maps, and will offer my assistance to whom ever needs help. This can be a tedious process and only requires a little patience. It's not difficult to do. ( plenty of head ache medicine "Ole Jim Beam" works well )

For Newbies:
    1. Delete all Particles,Room brushes, and{ textures,not necessary} I delete all room brushes to avoid corruption. All objects.
    2. Multibrush, save as .vbr, then to import, pre-set your grid size to match in your .Cow (moo!)
    A.) After "Load Multibrush" Set your Multibrush at x=500, y=500, z=500 This will prevent some problems at 0,0,0.

3. Grid snap: hilight_check_snap 1, hilight_do_snap 1, hilight_clear (You can use just _snap without the 1, but it always has worked for me. Good for snapping cylinders, although you may have to reset them.

4.Light, Optimize, rather than portalize., Compute Path find, Build room database, Ai roombase just to complete processing.

5. Purge_missing_objs (Save Gamesys)

6. Save as .Cow( m...! )

Lets get on with the Show !
    Last edited by darthsLair; 10th Nov 2010 at 14:36. Reason: I lost my mind !

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I know of at least two potential entries already.

"The Masks" was a reloaded version of "Casing the Joint". Why not to make any more?
    Who feels inspired enough to make the whole campaign from ONE reloaded mission?

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast