TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: goodbye dromed, goodbye cosas

The Architect

goodbye dromed, goodbye cosas

The time has come for me to leave Thief editing and Dromed for good. I thought a clean resign would be better than just a fade-away full of unfulfilled plans and promises.

So, here it is. I’m quitting dromed, and cosas. I’ve begun my career as a game designer.

It’s not just because my contract with ZeniMax doesn’t allow it. That just means it’s easier to come out and declare it blankly. My interest in designing Thief missions has clearly waned in the past two years, with my work on various unreal-engine projects, and the very-much-not-a-thief-FM dark engine game Fables of the Penitent Thief, which just happens to be a T2 mod. My work on Nine Year Sleep was really more of a way to teach myself environmental and prop art design while still going through the motions of my dromed habit (with fantastic results). Fables was a great way to explore some game design concepts while still using the familiarity of dromed but removing it from the restraints and expectations of a Thief mission (and was a huge success).

CoSaS: The Nine Year Sleep is currently in the hands of The Immortal Thief, though at the moment no progress is being made. (He’s a busy guy too!) It’s actually a really ambitious four-mission campaign, and he could really use some help on it. If you’re interested you should contact him directly about it, as I am no longer part of that effort… not even as a design consultant. As for the rest of CoSaS… I am not sure yet. I am sitting on a ton of really awesome unfinished missions by Mokkis and Finial and Trimfect and Purah and even a bit of architecture done by Saturnine. (Not to mention of a ton of my own work.) I really don’t have the time right now to decide anything, let alone do anything about it, but I’d rather not release this work simply as “abandoned”.

It’s been a truly grand decade.

You must be kidding... I just registered here to offer some quality-ensuring hints for the cosas cutscenes.

Well, guess I'll contact The Immortal Thief. Anyway, thanks for all your efforts and good luck for your new carreer as a game designer

The Architect
    Hahaha. Nice timing.

If they're cinematic hints maybe you should share them with everyone?

Sure. When I downloaded cosas, I also checked out the divx-encodes of the FMVs. On the site it said that it they were "unlikely to run inside Thief". Since I'm a video quality junkie I gave it a try and to my surprise they did work. So I started to make some test encodes to see which settings would work best and which wouldn't play at all.

Currently I'm trying to hack the game to allow higher resolutions for video playback than 640x480. My goal is to find a nice solution that offers great compression with no visible quality loss. Since cosas uses the outdated indeo codec for its purposes, it might have profited greatly from this little project.

The Architect
    Maybe you can team up with the guy/guys working on ddfix to integrate your work into that project? Sounds like something alot of FM authors could benefit from.

Understand and would just like to wish you happiness in your new career Dan.

aww..there have been similar threads lately,people leaving and announcing that"Thats it" no more dromed

it makes me sad

then a couple months later they are back with the release of a new fm

and it makes me happy

good luck with whatever you are doing

good luck in the future........thanks for all your work.....

Saturnine
    Good luck in your new career Dan, you deserve it!
    When you get there say Hi to Purah for me!

The Architect
    Haha, Jones, I can promise there won't be any new FM from me. But soon I'll be able to tell everyone what I've been working on, and with who.

Will do, Sat!

Southquarter.com/fms
    Wow, while I'm blown away by the news, it's really not surprising. I mean, Thief is 10+ years old, there always comes a time to move on. The selfish side of me hoped COSAS would actually be finished someday, as unrealistic as that is. In any case, good luck in your career Dan, I'm sure you'll put out some amazing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Itís not just because my contract with ZeniMax doesnít allow it.
    Anything more you can tell us about this? Specifically, where/what you'll be doing, and when and for whom?

The Architect
    I'd like to save it for when the game is actually announced. That way I can gush a little. At the moment what I can say is pretty much completely limited.

I want to thank you for all you've given us and I wish you the best of luck in your career!

you're leaving though. Hope to hear from you again somewhere in the future. Check up on this forum once in a while

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

I'd like to save it for when the game is actually announced. That way I can gush a little. At the moment what I can say is pretty much completely limited.
    ha......I know it.... joke.....not sure.....but know what zeni max is workin on or the companies they own

So, here it is. Iím quitting dromed, and cosas. Iíve begun my career as a game designer.

Itís not just because my contract with ZeniMax doesnít allow it.
    This is sad news to hear, but I'm sure we all wish you the best. I'm surprised though, your contract with ZeniMax forbids you from creating levels of any kind in your free time? O_o That seems incredibly controlling. You can still play FMs, though right?

Maybe one day you'll come back. We'd certainly welcome your return.

Sad to hear you're quitting Dromed, Digi - but, hell, you've done so much with it, & right from the very start!
    All the best with your next bunch of achievements - & don't go too far away now

BTW: are you staying on as a mod? (we wouldn't want certain.....ex-taffers.....getting the wrong impression )

Best of luck to you Dan, I'm not surprised either. Maybe someday you can peak at whats going on, don't forget us!!

Good luck with you new endeavors.

A few hours ago I wanted to do a search for 9YS to see if I missed any updates, the phone rang and
    I forgot about it. Now that I remembered I find this thread. Strange. Weird. Sad !

I hope that you'll arive at a good solution concerning the works of Saturnine, Purah & Co, it
    would seem like such a waste of talent otherwise !

Wow.

Best of luck.

Our loss.

Be happy.

double post?
    Last edited by bassmanret; 6th Nov 2010 at 23:06. Reason: not sure how, but an apparent double-post

Congratulations on all of your hard work Dan, you deserve nothing but praise.
    Thank you for being there for endless helpful hints and inspiration. You know i'll be in touch

I'm sorry to hear you're leaving Dromed, Dan, but I know you're starting an exciting new career and that will need to be your main focus. I wish you all the best with your new endeavors and I hope you'll still stay in touch and be around TTLG when you have time.

I thought I was done with T2 FM creation.

Now, I am not.

Your abandonment has inspired me. Take it as you will, but your attitude has renewed my interest. Any contribution I make will be nothing in comparison to your monumental efforts, but ... but nothing, mine will suck. But, I'll do it anyway.

I know that I'm a "light-weight" in the FM community, but I honestly love the TTLG FM forum. I read nearly every new post on missions I've played every day. I try NOT to read any threads on missions I haven't yet played so as not to ruin anything, but I'm getting pretty close to catching up with the most recent releases (currently playing the AWESOME Elizabeth Bathory Campaign) .

So, in appreciation of your incredible Thief-ish efforts, I'm Dromeding again. Maybe I should apologize... Sorry, taffers... here I come again!

Southquarter.com/fms
    I know what you're saying bass. I feel like doing whatever possible to carry on the tradition of Thief FMs.

Wow, this is news indeed. Good luck to you in your career, one many of us wish for, and you have, you lucky dog. I do hope that it won't mean you will be leaving the community though... TTLG wouldn't be TTLG without "The Architect".