TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Fables of the Penitent Thief, by Sliptip and Digi (Nov 8th 2010)

T2 FM: Fables of the Penitent Thief, by Sliptip and Digi (Nov 8th 2010)

After a false start last Thursday night, as promised, it's Monday and Fables is back. I'd like to extend a thanks to those of you who enjoyed and endured the bugs in the first release. We're pretty sure it's all been fixed, and people should have smooth sailing today! As I said before, one of my coolest journeys as an amateur game designer has come to a close, but your adventure is about to begin! After just over a year of work (not counting the original prototype), Fables of the Penitent Thief, by Sliptip and me, is (once again) complete!

http://www.filefront.com/17493821/Fables%20Nov8Fin.zip
    http://www.southquarter.com/download...=fm_file&i=143

This isnt just a Thief 2 Fan Mission. Its a whole new game built in the dark engine, inspired by the adventure and rpgs of yore. If youre not familiar with the project yet, check out the trailer we released earlier this year (back when we thought wed release during the summer!)

Sliptip and I really hope you enjoy this, and will tell us all about your experiences with our little game design project.

Downloading final version now. Thanks a bunch!

I may have to play through it all again! Thanks digi!

i quite like this mission,i have done everything except get the amulet,i have that puzzel at the wizards to solve yet,will keep trying i guess you have to do it in a certain order,

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    i quite like this mission,i have done everything except get the amulet,i have that puzzel at the wizards to solve yet,will keep trying i guess you have to do it in a certain order,
    got it, not sure how,now to get out

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    got it, not sure how,now to get out

Talk to the servants.

Thanks Digi!

Here's hoping this one goes a little better

Thanks guys! This is a welcome change to the standard mission!

I don't thing this is a spoiler but just in case.
    I've been in the orchard for some time now dodging the guard and stealing apples, I doubt it's anywhere near a record but I have over 260 now. image linky
    I pretty much just started so I have no idea how many I'll need in the end...

Mirror

- Filefront
    Last edited by bikerdude; 8th Nov 2010 at 13:37.

This is exactly how I pictured it would be! Great fun so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuod View Post
    Thanks guys! This is a welcome change to the standard mission!

I don't thing this is a spoiler but just in case.
    I've been in the orchard for some time now dodging the guard and stealing apples, I doubt it's anywhere near a record but I have over 260 now. image linky
    I pretty much just started so I have no idea how many I'll need in the end...
    You probably need like 40 tops. So I think you're good

Clearinghouse
    Easter egg? Try frobb this tree.

Ok, Southquarter mirror coming right up:

Fables of the Penitent Thief (final)
    Last edited by Brethren; 9th Nov 2010 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    Easter egg? Try frobb this tree.
    What's the matter with you? Are you the tree-frobbing type? You are sick man

Clearinghouse
    just searching all 25 eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    just searching all 25 eggs.
    Yeah, yeah o.k
    Just stay away from MY trees

I'm a bit disapointed that alot of people seem to be focusing on the easter eggs and not the adventure/quests etc. What do you guys think of the mission itself?

I played and finished the original release and loved it. I found all 25 eggs after some exhaustive and lengthy searching over the weekend. For some reason I was just obsessed with finding them and wouldn't stop until I did...

That's exactly what I am talking about. The post above this.

Still looking for #25. I wonder where it might be...
    Probably some rather obvious place that I forgot to check

Lovely mission. Can anyone help me by giving some hints on what to do with the drinking contest? I've thought of using the 2 healing potions somehow, but no dice.

@Digi: Oh, sorry. I really enjoyed the whole thing. The music, strange though it may be in a modernish 3d game, really seems to work. The visual style is beautiful - a feast for the eyes. I also like how in the clock tower the whole mechanism has that wobbly thing going on, I thought that looked really neat and sort of hypnotic. Also love the cardboardy flowers. Really, I'm just a fan of this bright and colourful world look, in any game. I enjoyed just wandering around for the first little while.

Also, the writing is fantastic. Lighthearted and whimsical. I thought the characters were charming and felt alive. I particularly enjoyed the gardener's house - loved his nonchalant dialog in absurd situations. "Care for a cup of tea?"

I recall old adventure games being a good deal more difficult than this one - I didn't ever get stuck for very long - but nevertheless it remained pure fun from start to finish. And, yes, the egg hunt adds even more enjoyment to the experience.

The second mission felt a little short, and I thought the final battle was maybe missing some "hardness" or tension or something, but overall it was still well done and enjoyable. I think I was just spoiled by the first mission.

One more thing. It was a nice touch to have those two guys standing in out-of-bounds places to give you a friendly ribbing for getting there. At one point I actually managed to get on top of some roof that allowed me to walk on top of at least one of the battlements and get onto most (all?) of the roofs in the town, but I didn't put a hard save up there and I forget how I did it. Oh well

Yeah, anyway. Worth freaking waiting for!

I'm having a blast playing this! I just found the rooftop where the man asks you if you're Dia. The clues are well placed and it's interesting to explore. I love the no-damage play which would be perfect for playing with children and collecting and paying for things with apples. was a great idea. The Easter Eggs add a nice extra element that keep you searching every nook and cranny while you complete your quests and I love the cartoon look and music. Excellent work!

Arrowgrab, what's the oldest trick in the book to get rid of something you don't want to drink? Hint 2: find someplace to get rid of it instead of drinking it.

I have played through with the new and previous versions and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The absence of aggressive AI, easy-to-understand and amusing quests, no loss of health, the poo-hunt etc all aim it nicely at a child audience while some of the quests are a good test. The conversations are warm, chatty and quite clever although interacting with the characters and frobbing the desired response sometimes takes a bit of care. I know you were hoping to get feedback from taffers with kids during the beta stage and would be interested to hear what they thought .

This is one FM I can definitiely see myself trying out on the kids in the family but its novelty makes it fun for all ages. Thanks for allowing us to revert to childhood a little while having the excuse that we are of course trying it out for the kids!

When I played through the first time the quests were the main focus with a bit of exploring and pushing boundaries of the mission but for second time through the eggs became more of the challenge and well worth it. From the start I did think the music might be distracting but it becomes all part of the package quite quickly.

Thanks to all involved for the release

Finished a little while ago. About 2 hours playing time. I never got stuck for more than a moment as to what to do next but I did manage to get physically stuck in a window in the throne room...but that's just how I roll. I have to look just about everywhere!

All in all just a charming and fun adventure. At first the animated textures were kind of disorienting but it didn't take long for my brain to adjust.

Thanks Tippy and Digi for pushing the boundries of what 'ol Dark can do.