TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: "The Unwelcome Guest" for DarkLoader?

"The Unwelcome Guest" for DarkLoader?

Hi guys,
    I would love to know if you could convert the Demo Mission "The Unwelcome Guest" for the original game to play it in the DarkLoader. Me and my buddy want to play it Multiplayer, but I myself struggle with opening it with DromEd.
    Matthias

Note: There is an updated version of this available now. The thread for it can be found here.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I think that's been asked before and the answer is no. The demo shipped with a standalone version of the engine and the assets can't be used by the release engine and/or Darkloader, if I remember correctly.

Do you mean this one ?
    http://darkfate.ru/?show=files/fan-m...st_demo_rework
    From what I get, this is a version that has been modified to be as close to the demo as possible.
    I don't know the demo, but this version runs in DarkLoader for sure.

However, I wonder why someone is interested in it.
    Is the demo that different to the final mission ?
    And how fits multiplayer into this question ?

jtr7
    It's quite different.

OK. Seems like I have it still on my harddrive.
    Is it this one ?
    http://download.cnet.com/Thief-II-Th...-10037972.html
    About 130MB with with a couple of missions inside ?
    title_1: "Interference"
    title_2: "Shipping and Receiving"
    title_3: "Break from Cragscleft Prison"
    title_4: "Down in the Bonehoard"
    title_5: "Ambush"
    title_6: "The Sword"
    title_8: "Mission 8"
    title_7: "The Haunted Cathedral"
    title_9: "Blackmail!"
    title_10: "Undercover"
    title_11: "The Unwelcome Guest"
    title_12: "Escape!"
    title_13: "Strange Bedfellows"
    title_14: "Into The Maw of Chaos"
    Seems like I want to give it a try then.
    Any other mission that is 'different' and worth replaying ?

Lol, that's my work from long time ago. unfortunately it's based on the german version of the demo, so the language is german only.
    I made it not primary for playing but for a base for future DromEd work. And yes the version is very different because the demo version contains areas which are not present in the final version.

Ich komme auch aus Deutschland, also wäre das kein Problem.^^

Thanks for answers.

Not only are the texts in German, but the sounds too. I added the English texts and sounds to my copy of partytime_rework.zip because it was so good and fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by PsymH View Post
    that's my work from long time ago. unfortunately it's based on the german version of the demo, so the language is german only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hertzman View Post
    Not only are the texts in German, but the sounds too. I added the English texts and sounds to my copy of partytime_rework.zip because it was so good and fun to play.
    Some time ago I accidentally discovered that the saved games for the english and german versions of the Thief 2 demo could be exchanged between the two versions without any apparent problem. Maybe it's not so difficult to turn PsymH's work into an english (or even multi-language?) version. Could be tedious work, though.

I downloaded the mission from darkfate 2 days ago, installed it in my english thief using darkloder which installed it as german (grayed out).

However all the readables and objectives were in english as well as Garrett's comments.
    As for the guards, they spoke in english except two or three times.
    The conversation between the archers was entirely in german, but in english between the thieves and the uninvited couple.

I would say this was a mission in english.

The reason is that hardly any stuff is contained in the ZIP.
    e.g. all the readables are not even included.
    So except for some sndfx & conversations it simply seems to reuse the stuff for the OM.
    But for sure there are no english resources included.

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    The reason is that hardly any stuff is contained in the ZIP.
    e.g. all the readables are not even included.
    So except for some sndfx & conversations it simply seems to reuse the stuff for the OM.
    But for sure there are no english resources included.

Than it is better to say it is in whatever language your game is in.

Quote Originally Posted by cattamer View Post
    I downloaded the mission from darkfate 2 days ago, installed it in my english thief using darkloder which installed it as german (grayed out).
    This could be caused by a single directory called "german" anywhere in the zip file.

I am using a german version of Thief 2. If Darkloader finds no directory called "english", "french", "spanish" or "italian" among the zip file's contents, the grayed out language selection field shows the game's default language, "german".

If a zip file contains one or more directories called "english", the language selection box is still grayed out, but shows "english" instead of "german". Some examples of this are "CoSaS: Mission X" and the Bathory campaign.

If Darkloader discovers more than one "type" of language directories in the zip file, the language selection box shows one language, but is fully functional.

I believe that happened with this mission.

The conversation between the archers was entirely in german, but in english between the thieves and the uninvited couple.
    If I remember it correctly, the conversation between the two groups of archers was very "tame" in Thief 2, if compared to what they said in the Thief 2 demo. I believe that PsymH took the voices of the german version of the demo to restore the archer conversation to its former... "beauty". That would explain why they are still in german even if one uses an english version of the game.

Other things which didn't change when "The Unwelcome Guest" became "Life of the Party" were left out of the mission archive to keep it small, I think.

it is better to say it is in whatever language your game is in.
    Sure. If that's a reaction to my post above, then I have to clarify that I referred to the language of the Thief 2 demo, not PsymH's Thief 2 mission.

What I did was to add an English folder to all the sounds. Then copy over the English sounds from the demo so it matched the German sounds that were included. Then I did the same with newgame.str to get the start menu in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Hertzman View Post
    What I did was to add an English folder to all the sounds. Then copy over the English sounds from the demo so it matched the German sounds that were included. Then I did the same with newgame.str to get the start menu in English.
    If you made no mistake, the result should even be Darkloader compatible, meaning Darkloader would allow you to select between english and german language.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    If you made no mistake, the result should even be Darkloader compatible, meaning Darkloader would allow you to select between english and german language.
    Darkloader doesn't allow any choice, only German is avaible.

Darkloader doesn't allow any choice, only German is avaible.
    Works fine for me.
    Did you also create the following files ?
    strings\english\TITLES.STR
    intrface\english\NEWGAME.STR
    One problem with figuring out the right snd resources is that some have different names in the T2-demo compared to 'Partytime'. So just copying all resources from the demo won't have the desired result.

PsymH, I wonder if you would want to update this mission to support english as well?
    And maybe allow the Garrett to start with a few bucks in his pockets so you can even buy the hint and equipment in the Shop ?

I think I have a full patch for english (for the portion that is used in Partytime),
    but do not want to host them on my server.
    Not sure if I want to distribute that stuff ;-)
    Otherwise I would post a link to it here.
    Last edited by gnartsch; 21st Nov 2010 at 15:26.

The funny thing is I tried this out thinking it was in German, but ended playing it in English.

If I remember correctly, the goal descriptions in the german demo are still english. As for the english version, I will see what I can do.

If I remember correctly, the goal descriptions in the german demo are still english.
    I am certain that some texts were in English, but I do not remember exactly which ones. The weapons' descriptions come to mind. And maybe some inscriptions on the in-game maps.

As for the english version, I will see what I can do.
    Basically, you could do what Hertzman did (or ask him for his version of the mission), then think about the starting money. A word of caution, though... don't convert the sound files to Ogg Vorbis. During the last months I have found strong hints that Darkloader contains a strange and nasty bug which only occurs when multi-language support and Ogg Vorbis sound files are present in a mission's zip file. Unfortunately, I don't have time to write a long posting about that right now. -sigh-