TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: The New Vegas Mod Recommendations Thread

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

The New Vegas Mod Recommendations Thread

DarNified UI NV
    An Incredible UI mod. Replaces the massive vanilla one (which was designed for consoles running on low res SDTV's) with one suited to the PC platform. With DarN's UI installed more real estate is given for inventory screens, so you can achieve more with much less scrolling through lists; also you can zoom out the maps further than in the vanilla UI.

Expect optional features to be added as NVSE sees further development - such as OSDs for ToD, date; radiation and experience gauges; etc.

DarN produced similar UI's for FO3 and Oblivion which are highly regarded and very popular within the community.

Fellout NV
    The popular weather overhaul mod for Fallout 3 sees a NV version. Removes the ugly orange hues and gives you realistically lit, natural looking vistas. Also provides atmospheric nights that are genuinely dark, giving an experience akin to the Oblivion Lost mega-mod for Stalker: SoC.

Nevada Skies - Weather Effects
    A very immersive mod. Adds rain and epic sandstorms to the Mojave Wasteland (also "Radstorms", make sure you have some Rad-X on hand!). Both the player and NPCs will have to weather against the effects of sandstorms, which can damage weaker character builds. NPCs will cower and seek cover from these forces of nature.

Nevada Skies is 100% compatible with Fellout (see the FAQ on the NVnexus page for instructions).

Community Bugfix Compilation v0.06a

The closest thing to an "unofficial patch" project. The benefits of this compilation are pretty self-explanatory. See the Nexus page for a full changelog.

Grab an updated version with some further crash fixes from the download page, it's labelled "v6 fix by willsi".

Updated ESP only though, replace your existing one with it. Original archive from NVNexus is still required for the fixed meshes and textures.

Put it at the very top of your load order, before all ESPs, but after all ESMs.

Changelog: Fixes added or changed in v0_06:
    ====================================

- Snowglobe display update by Vivanto

- Wellrested fix hardcore by Driffster

- WRObject fixes updated to 1.03 (thanks to Wuphons Reach)

- Updated Bugfixes03 by Frontsalat

A whole bunch from Yukichigai ; give him a kudos
    - Scotch Bottle fix
    - Lucky 38 companion container fix (only the raul sandbox fix from latest version)
    - Travelling merchant fix
    - removed the caravan card boxfix (as recommended)
    - Camp Guardian Private Halford fix
    - Hard Luck Blues
    - Vault 34 Survivors
    - Horowitz Fix,
    - Companion - Nuka-Cola Quartz - Victory fix

- FOOK3 fixes by the FOOKteam, with reworked item weights removed. There's a huge amount of fixes here, not all of which is recorded in their documentation, so I honestly have no idea which came from them and which didn't.

- Useless radios now play by Zenball

- Primm rumours fix by Paul_NZ

- NCR Ranger Patrol Armor stance fix by Karelia

- Lakelurk meat drop fix by cameltoe

- Four Eyes Perk fix by Mitia

Purge Cell Buffers

This mod is awesome, highly recommended.

You may have noticed that whilst playing for very long periods of time without taking breaks, your game becomes increasingly unresponsive and stuttery. This is because the game does not delete cell data that has been used at some point in your session but is no longer useful.

With this modification enabled, this excess game data will be deleted or "purged" every 10 minutes, to avoid performance hits, unresponsivenesss and general slowdowns whilst playing for long periods of time without taking breaks.

New Vegas Stutter Remover

This essential mod from Oblivion and Fallout 3 returns, works around a flaw in Bethsoft's stupid engine. Requires NVSE.

Author Skyranger-1 released an updated INI file designed to work with the last official patch, it's available here. Replace the contents of sr_New_Vegas_Stutter_Remover.ini.

CASM:NV

A game saving system, can be a great lifesaver in regards to avoiding showstopping bugs. Requires NVSE.

Cipscis' Automatic Save Manager: New Vegas - CASM:NV

========================================
    INTRODUCTION
    ========================================
    CASM:NV replaces Fallout: New Vegas' saving system so that you no longer have to rely on only a single autosave or quicksave to fall back on.

This is achieved by cycling through a certain number of saves, so that older saves are still overridden but there are also always previous saves available if you need to reload a save earlier than your last one.

CASM:NV creates saves in two ways:
    - Automatically after a certain length of time
    - Manually with a hotkey (F4 by default)
    Arenovalis Weapon Retexture Project
    A compilation of Arenovalis' gorgeous and realistic high resolution weapon retextures.

Individual gun reskins can be downloaded from here.

Companions Teleporter
    I've found this very useful. Great work-around for the stupid pathfinding AI of companions and related mishaps. Comes in two varieties, the first has companions set as not Essential and the second where they are. Essential means that companions can't die, so obviously use the not Essential version if you're rocking Hardcore mode (which everyone should be doing, IMO.).

This mod will add to your inventory small but very useful tool - Companions Teleporter.
    With it you can summon your companion in one click. (but you cannot summon ED-E until you repair it)
    Manual Reload
    NVSE is required.

This mod forces weapons to reload only when the reload button is pressed, effectively disabling automatic reloading. Simple, effective, and useful for many tactical purposes!

As a bonus, it also keeps track of all ammo expended, meaning that re-equipping weapons no longer causes them to be magically reloaded.
    From playing a lot of hectic online shooters I had gotten into the habit of switching to other weapons instead of reloading, during hectic, time crucial moments. It infuriated me when I found that you weren't able to cancel the reload animation by switching weapons, you're locked into it by the vanilla game.

Mileage with this mod varies depending on the weapon. Eg I find it's great for magazine-loaded guns, not so much for double-barrel boomsticks like the Sawed-Off Shotgun and Caravan Shotgun.

More Where That Came From - RNV Version
    Requires Extended New Vegas Radio Generator to create an ESP plugin (don't worry, it only takes a couple of mouse clicks to use.). A port-over of the awesome expanded Galaxy News Radio mod from F3 to FNV's Radio New Vegas. Great selection of songs.

Here are the new additions to the playlist:

Track Pack 1

1. "We Three (My Echo, My Shadow, and Me" by The Ink Spots
    2. "Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar" by Will Bradley
    3. "Dear Hearts and Gentle People" by Bob Crosby and the Bobcats
    4. "If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd Have Baked a Cake" by Bob Hope and Bing Crosby
    5. "Pistol Packin' Mama" by The Andrews Sisters and Bing Crosby
    6. "Big Foot Jump" by Bob Crosby (instrumental)
    7. "Old Man Mose" by Louis Armstrong
    8. "Lamplighter's Serenade" by Bing Crosby
    9. "There'll Be a Jubilee" by The Andrews Sisters
    10. "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle" by Kay Kyser and His Orchestra (yes, the same as is in New Vegas--they stole it from here!)
    11 "Shortnin' Bread" by Johnny Mercer and The Ink Spots
    12."Let's Fly Away" Lee Wiley
    13. "Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries" by Bing Crosby, the Boswell Sisters, the Mills Brothers and Al Jolson
    14. "God Told Nicodemus" by The Golden Gate Quartet
    15."A Kiss to Build a Dream On" by Louis Armstrong
    16. "Ink a'Dink a'Doo" by Jimmy Durante
    17. "In the Still of the Night" by Cole Porter
    18."I'm Making Believe" by Ella Fitzgerald and the Ink Spots
    19. "A Hundred and Sixty Acres" by Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters
    20. "Boogie Woogie" by Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra (instrumental)

Track Pack 2

21. "Mr. Sandman" by The Mills Brothers
    22. "Minnie the Moucher" by Danny Kaye
    23. "You're the Top" by Cole Porter
    24."Don't Call me Boy" by Bob Crosby and the Bobcats
    25. "Strange Fruit" by Billie Holiday
    26."Big Town" by Roy Brown
    27. "It Had to Be You" by Django Reinhardt (instrumental)
    28. "Ballin' the Jack" by Danny Kaye
    29. "Daphne" by Django Reinhardt (instrumental)
    30. "As Time Goes By" by Billie Holiday
    31. "I Like Bananas (Because They Have No Bones)" by The Hossier Hotshots
    32. "Atomic Baby" by Amos Milburn
    33. "Swingin' the Jinx Away" by Cole Porter
    34."Charleston" by Django Reinhardt (instrumental)
    35."Butcher Pete (Part 2)" by Roy Brown
    36. "Mockingbird Hill" by Les Paul and Mary Ford
    37. "Bei Mir Bist Du Schon" by The Andrews Sisters
    38. "Bless You (For Being an Angel)" by The Ink Spots
    39. "I'd Like to Give My Dog to Uncle Sam" by Ozzie Waters
    40. "You Always Hurt the One You Love" by The Mills Brothers

Track Pack 3

41. "Bill Bailey Won't You Please Come Home?" Danny Kaye and Louis Armstrong
    42. "Maybe" by The Ink Spots (1940 version -- used in original Fallout)
    43. "La Vie en Rose" by Louis Armstrong
    44."Old Man of the Mountain" by The Burt Ambrose Orchestra
    45."Buttons and Bows" by Bob Hope and The Clark Sisters
    46."Someone to Watch Over Me" by Keely Smith
    47."He's a Demon, He's a Devil, He's a Doll" by Betty Hutton
    48."On a Slow Boat to China" by Kay Kyser
    49."Are You Lonesome Tonight" by Al Jolson
    50."Blues in the Night" by Dinah Shore & The Pied Pipers
    51."At Last" Ella Fitzgerald
    52."Scotch and Soda" by Charlie Barnett and His Orchestra
    53."My Sugar is So Refined" by Johnny Mercer and the Pied Pipers
    54."Depression Era Medley" by The Boswell Sisters
    55."Mack the Knife" by The Burt Ambrose Orchestra
    56."The Scat Song" by Cab Calloway
    57."Ezekiel Saw the Wheel" by The Charioteers
    58."Don't Fence Me In" by Roy Rogers
    59."Long Ago and Far Away" by Connee Boswell and the Paul Whitman Orchestra
    60."Miss Annabelle Lee" by Whispering Jack Smith, Bert Ambrose & The Whispering Orchestra

Track Pack 4

61."Drum Boogie" by The Gene Krupa Orchestra (instrumental)
    62. "When the Sun Goes Down" by The Ink Spots
    63."Bugle Call Rag" by Cab Calloway
    64."On the Atchison, Topeka, and Sante Fe" by Jonnie Mercer & The Pied Pipers
    65."If I Didn't Care" by The Ink Spots (comedic take)
    66."Rosie the Riveter" by Redd Evans and John Jacob Loeb
    67."Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" by The Andrews Sisters
    68."Dream a Little Dream of Me" by Louis Armstrong
    69."Ghost of Smokey Joe" by Cab Calloway
    70."Sugar" by Lee Wiley
    71."It's a Quiet Town" by Danny Kaye and the Andrews Sisters
    72."The One I Love Belongs to Al Jolson" by Bing Crosby & Al Jolson
    73."Minnie the Moocher's Wedding Day" by The Mills Blue Brothers Orchestra
    74."Sweet Georgia Brown" by Bing Crosby
    75."Personality" by Johnny Mercer
    76."La Mer" Django Reinhardt (instrumental)
    77. "If I Didn't Care" by The Ink Spots
    78."I Still Suits Me" by Bing Crosby and Lee Wiley
    79."Body and Soul" Django Reinhardt (instrumental)
    80."Putting on the Ritz" Ella Fitzgerald

Track Pack 5

81. "Address Unknown" by The Ink Spots
    82. ""Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" by The Southern Sons Quartet
    83. "Yes Suh" by The Ink Spots
    84. "Chiti-bee" by Jimmy Durante and Bing Crosby
    85. "Gone Fishin'" by Louis Armstrong and Bing Crosby
    86. "Everybody Loves My Baby" by The Boswell Sisters
    87. "Rock and Roll" by The Boswell Sisters
    88. "Stardust" by Keely Smith
    89. "Just a Gigilo / I Ain't Got Nobody" by Louis Prima
    90. "In the Mood" by Glenn Miller (with vocals by the Andrews Sisters)
    91. "That Old Black Magic" by Louis Prima and Keely Smith
    92. "Battery Bounce" by Art Tatum (instrumental)
    93. "I'll See You in my Dreams" by Django Reinhardt (instrumental)
    94. "Beatin', Bangin' and Scratchin'" by Danny Kaye and The Andrews Sisters
    95. "Moonburn" by Bing Crosby
    96. "Atom and Evil" by the Golden Gate Quartet
    97. "Keepin' Out of Mischief Now" by Lee Wiley
    98. "Ac-Cent-U-Ate The Positive" by Bing Crosby
    99. "Tic, Tic, Tic" by Dinah Shore
    100."Stormy Weather" by Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 11th Dec 2010 at 02:23.

Centered 3rd Person Camera
    Just because I really can't stand off-centre third-person cameras, even though I very rarely use third-person mode.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks for making this thread Eva.

Man I could have used the music track expansion mod back when I was playing through NV.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

There are currently two forks of the Community Bugfix Compilation.

OdijSuppi's effort
    Currently the most up-to-date of the two at v0.009. OdijSuppi has chosen to forego the Nexus Network politics and incorporate bug fixes posted hosted on Nexus without gaining permissions of the original mod authors, hence why this compilation patch isn't hosted on NVNexus.

N.B. Everything is in English, don't let the German spoken on the site dissuade you from using it.

Linmor's effort
    This is hosted on NVNexus, Linmor has chosen to abide by all of the requirements for mod projects hosted on Nexus Network sites. Thus he'll be gaining the necessary permissions each respective mod author before adding a bug fix to his compilation patch.

Currently dormant until after the imminent official "mega-patch" from Obsidian lands.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 16th Dec 2010 at 03:57.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Depth of Field mod - adds a slight blur to things off in the distance. Looks quite nice.

Discovered through PC Gamer's listing of the 25 best FO:NV mods

Less Dismemberment and Limb Explosions
    I don't mind a bit of gore, but the sheer number of times peoples' body parts exploded in Fallout 3 was just ridiculous, so I eventually got a mod to reduce it to a more reasonable chance. This seems to be the equivalent mod for New Vegas, which also suffers from the excessive dismemberment problem.

Repair Bladed Weapons with Whet Stone

Whet stones exist here and there in the game world and are occasionally sold by vendors, why not use them to sharpen your combat knives?

Bottle That Water

An absolute MUST have mod for the Hardcore Gamer. This mod allows you to bottle water from all water sources without an annoying menu. It also adds a buy-able canteen that will keep you automatically hydrated (see further down for details). Empty water bottles as well as the canteen can be bought from Chet in Goodsprings.

When you use a water source while sneaking you automatically fill all empty water bottles. If you bottle water from a pure water source all dirty bottles will be rebottled as pure water alongside refilling empty bottles as well as filling up your canteen if you have one. Empty water bottles are automatically attained when drinking irradiated, dirty or purified water as well as when you refill your canteen.

10 note
    Thanks for all the recommendations in the thread.

I'm also using a Sprint Mod and Bullet Time Mod, since I don't like using VATS.

Fallout:New Vegas Mod Menagerie. An impressive list of mods, designed by the author to be used comprehensively.

10 note
    It's going to be a mission to install all of those, but it does look good...

EDIT: I've downloaded mods down to 'perky snowglobes' and it's occurred to me that his 'cheats and handouts are bad' philosophy seems to get violated with quite a few of these mods. The snowglobes one makes snowglobes behave like bobbleheads in FO3, potentially giving you a +7 stat bonus for nothing. Sounds a lot like cheating to me. That in turn makes me question how far his idea of good mods is in line with mine, which makes me worry about what all these mods are doing... Oh well, I suppose I can always disable stuff later on.
    Last edited by steo; 17th Jan 2011 at 09:08.

I find a lot of his selections extraneous (new player homes, additional companions, hoverboard at start location--skews pacing if nothing else, and there is else).

But I'd like to hear any thoughts on his balancing tweaks and any of his more substantive mods. Let us know what works!

10 note
    Haven't had a chance to actually play the game with the mods yet, but I have finally gotten the game to run again with most of the mods enabled.

So the first thing I would say about anyone wanting to try this mod compilation is that you'd better be prepared to spend hours getting the damn things to work and sorting your load orders. Fallout Mod Manager is great, but installing lots of mods at once is still pretty time consuming.

Also, I missed out on a fair few of the mods - mostly ones that add homes/unique armours/hoverboard and stuff that I thought was particularly cheaty.

Better Oblivion Sorting Software for Fallout: New Vegas

A simple "one-click" program for users to quickly optimize and avoid detrimental conflicts in their oblivion mod load-order.

• Correctly positions over 500 mods and counting