TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3 - Mark Meer will continue to be rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    If you mean in relation to the reviews, it's more of an expectation gap. People want 'objective' reviews divorced of the reviewer's opinion, which is, of course, impossible. What they actually want, and what reviewers do to address this, is flavour their viewpoints in ways that the majority of readers can relate to, or at least acknowledge some of their opinions may not be shared by the masses at large; when something comes across as strongly personal in a review, it stops being a relatively grounded appraisal, and that's when cries for 'objectivity' happen. Of course, people need to be careful what they wish for.
    Yeah, something like that. Like the word "objective" is now a replacement for "fair" or "balanced".

Anyway, it seems like MEA will gain a cult status after all, even if it means becoming a giant meme generator above anything else: https://my.mixtape.moe/fbvjpx.mp4
    Last edited by Judith; 20th Mar 2017 at 07:36.

People want 'objective' reviews divorced of the reviewer's opinion, which is, of course, impossible.
    Well, not exactly impossible: https://www.destructoid.com/100-obje...i-179178.phtml

Chakat sex pillow
    Hah, maybe I should have prefixed that with 'useful'. But yes, there's an entire site devoted to that joke linked to in my post.

To be fair, if I ever had to animate anything, I would just have everyone's face be tired all the time. Work smarter not harder.

According to one reviewer I quite respect, the games really bad, has robotic-like animation, is full of bugs and feels unfinished.

I think I'll skip this game. And I'm a HUGE fan of the original 3.

Everything I've read/seen so far makes it look like ME fanfiction stuck on top of DA:I's terrible gameplay systems. Sad.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    To be fair, if I ever had to animate anything, I would just have everyone's face be tired all the time. Work smarter not harder.
    Haha, I like this idea of cutting down on facial animations by having all the characters comment on how tired their faces are all the time. "We gotta go stop the alien invasion! btw my face is super-tired." "Oh man, what a day, aliens are invading and my face is tired? Jeez."

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Everything I've read/seen so far makes it look like ME fanfiction stuck on top of DA:I's terrible gameplay systems. Sad.
    Don't believe the hype.

The way i see it, Fallout 4 or GTA 5 were also massively criticized on the net. Turned out that those are two of the best selling games in history (and also 2 of the best games i ever played, go figure). Frankly, i'd be very surprised if it isn't the same for ME Andromeda. I will never judge a game anymore before i played it myself. People are harder and harder to please these days (wealth), and there's also a massive dislike for big studios, and big game projects, so, there'll be much criticism for any big game coming out.

Well I believe the footage from in-game cutscenes, and the whole robotic-ness of it all. Plus I trust the reviewers I'm subscribed to.

Then do that. I will trust my own judgement, when i play it. And i frankly couldn't care less if the animations suck, if the content is good.

People are harder and harder to please these days (growing up, developing tastes)
    Fixed that for you.

I haven't played GTA V, but Fallout 4 was a mess in terms of quests and story. I'd rather go back to ugly but awesome New Vegas and all DLCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Not really, you only got it terribly wrong, once again.

I haven't played GTA V, but Fallout 4 was a mess in terms of quests and story. I'd rather go back to ugly but awesome New Vegas and all DLCs.
    Well, that's, like, your opinion. Fallout 4 was the best selling of all Fallout's, and one of the best selling games of all times. Guess people grow up, and develop taste, eh?

Sales don't mean something is good, it only means something is popular Lazy, reversed storyline from FO3 and limited player choice isn't a development, and it's pretty natural that after you see stuff from studios like Obsidian and CDPR, you expect it from other major studios too.

Sales don't mean something is good, it only means something is popular
    Well, you will surely not be able to sell the biggest crap to millions of people. And, no, it isn't a indication something is good, yet, the ratings surely say that it is good too. You are free to prefer New Vegas of course. I like it too. Yet it still hasn't sold as well as FO 4, nor has it gotten higher ratings.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    The way i see it, Fallout 4 or GTA 5 were also massively criticized on the net. Turned out that those are two of the best selling games in history (and also 2 of the best games i ever played, go figure). Frankly, i'd be very surprised if it isn't the same for ME Andromeda. I will never judge a game anymore before i played it myself. People are harder and harder to please these days (wealth), and there's also a massive dislike for big studios, and big game projects, so, there'll be much criticism for any big game coming out.
    GTA V reviewed at a 97 metacritic score and most of the reviews I've read praised it, so maybe check your sources.

As far as ME:A goes, the critical consensus seems to be that it's DA:I in space, which is very odd considering very few of them cared to lambast DA:I for its fillerific bullshit. It's still a warning sign, this critical backlash: if a game's design ethos is geared towards maximising the amount of inconsequential faffing around players need to do in their large and empty environments, it can fuck off. And the warnings are from places I rely upon to be generally accurate, so I'm going to go with them instead of the odd childish contrarian on the internet throwing a hissy fit.

If you like DA:I's sort of thing, more power to you. Most people don't, and that's their prerogative.

GTA V reviewed at a 97 metacritic score and most of the reviews I've read praised it, so maybe check your sources.
    My sources in this case were voices on the internet, as mentioned, there's a bit of a difference between how people on the net perceive the quality of a game, and how it is reviewed by people who make a living of that. For example, i read someone saying that GTA 5's world isn't as detailled as GTA 4's. A good joke one would think who played the game (without the eyes closed). I read all sorts of stuff on the net. Usually, my perception is quite a bit different when i actually play the games then. Some things are true of course. But, to me, it appears as, especially, the AAA games are a constant target of criticism (while most Indie games i ever played turned out to be pretty crap BTW... even though they were hyped), even though they're being reviewed well, and sell like hot cakes. Anyway, i'll rest my case, also because i haven't followed development of ME: A too much. Yet, i'm sure it'll be a good game, like the predecessors.

Chakat sex pillow
    Would you really follow voices on the internet if you didn't believe there was some utility to it? I respect most of the opinions people have here, but I'm only going to consider recommendations or rejections from people whose perspectives have historically aligned with my own, or have been able to broaden my thinking on something I'm keyed to dislike. The rest is noise, like Youtube comments. We mostly only read those for chuckles or to shake our heads -- I hope.

I always thought you can sell the biggest crap to millions of people, you know, as a result of successful, often intrusive advertising Coca-cola, Pepsi, the whole food processing industry do exactly that, while adding more salt, fats and sugar to their products to make them taste more "awesome". If they can do it, why not games industry? Fallout 4 added better graphics and omg base building! And for a lot of people that was enough to feel great about the game. Actually, if I wanted just good graphics, I'd probably choose DA:I over FO4 (it is gorgeous on ultra settings though). But I really don't like busywork, I prefer more meaningful experiences, and I'd take small games that try to achieve something more any day.

Fallout 4 was a great action-RPG, it just wasn't much of a Fallout game. I wish they'd give Obsidian a shot at the next one, as FNV had a pretty nice balance between the Bethesdaness and Black Isleness. Or have Bethesda design the world (which was fun to explore in FO4) and hire Chris Avellone or somebody to do the narrative and quest design.

I'd love to see Obsidian doing something like Alpha Protocol, but with budget. I'd blow half of my monthly salary on kickstarter just for that. The way you could talk your way out of things was nice in FNV, and the last DLC finale was basically a battle of words, but nothing beats the satisfaction of e.g. having enough dossier data to outsmart Parker in the last part of the game.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Haha, I like this idea of cutting down on facial animations by having all the characters comment on how tired their faces are all the time. "We gotta go stop the alien invasion! btw my face is super-tired." "Oh man, what a day, aliens are invading and my face is tired? Jeez."
    Myasthenia gravis: a sci-fi adventure game

verbose douchebag
    I haven't seen anything to draw me to this game - the voice acting in the trailers was particularly shocking and nothing about the characters suggested anything even vaguely interesting.
    What I may do, if I find the time, is just re-play the 3 original games again.

The animations are plenty good enough for me. I just donít know if I can put another huge pile of hours into a Mass Effect game. And given that itís more open world than previous games, I donít know if I can stay interested either. I liked ME1 and especially ME2, but my interest was already waning by the end of ME3 and I never bothered to play the DLC. I would be more interested in this if it were a completely different fiction.

Moderator and Priest
    If I play it, it'll be way later, once it's got a few patches under its belt, and has gone through a Steam sale or two.

Honestly, I just can't seem to get all that stoked about it. Even before the memes came out making fun of it, I was decidedly meh over the whole affair.

I hate this thread title. I *like* Mark Meer's voice acting; his Shepherd is hilariously deadpan.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast