TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3 - Mark Meer will continue to be rubbish

You're all angry nerd archetypes.

Moderator and Priest
    That's a helluva thing to put on the top of page two. But it's true.

Chakat sex pillow
    I am not an angry internet mens, damn you

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    you're using the smiley and you're a mens (i think) and you're on the internet

YOUR AN ANGRY INTERNET MENS

Playing through ME2 a second time, one thing sticks out and annoys the hell out of me more than any of the game's other quirks: the conversation wheel.

Sure, in theory it seems like a great idea. It's a condensed, user-friendly way of having many conversation options presented in a more efficient display that doesn't take up as much screen space as say, a dialogue box, and it works more within the cinematic framework of the game...

However, I'm getting pretty tired of selecting options like "I disagree", and then watching Shepard proceed to BERATE and FROWNY FACE the person he is talking to like a jack-wad for some total RENEGADE POINTS.

I prefer the silent-protagonist style ala Half Life, Dragon Age, KoTOR, etc. Shepard's voice-acting (and most protagonist voice acting in my option) is really distracting about 9 times out of 10. I also like actually being able to see what my response really is before selecting it.

That said, I still like the ME games ok. They're certainly not great, but there aren't a lot of role-playing sci-fi games being released. I'll probably play the third one when it's released.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    you're using the smiley and you're a mens (i think) and you're on the internet

YOUR AN ANGRY INTERNET MENS
    God damn your eyes

I'll outline the ME3 plot for you guys:

Reapers invade Earth because of Shepard, the only being that actually kicked their asses. So the invasion begins at the start of the game.

The universe is not happy about the human rule (if you eradicated the council in ME1) and is not very supportive, plus there are already political tensions between the factions. So Shepard has to find a solution to those problems in order to rally all allies, likely and unlikely (Geth?). This will include about 4 different planets, aka 4 chapters. And you will have to hurry because "Earth needs your help".

The final showdown is on Earth with every species involved in the final battle. Shepard will have to drink something some of the Reaper blood in order to be able to defeat them.

End of Reapers. End of the trilogy.

That's the epic, original, story they had promised us .

"Kicked their ass" is a bit over congratulatory, don't you think?He's killed two. The first time, most of the actual killing was done by the fleet. And the second one was a fetus.

verbose douchebag
    Fuck it, I'm going to buy it and probably love the shit out of it. Original or not.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oh yeah, forgot to post this -- Mass Effect fans, this is like the best thing on the internet ever.

Fun for all the family!

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    2011 looks to be a very promising year for RPGs, there's this, Deus Ex 3, Witcher 2, SW:TOR and Guild Wars 2. Dragon Age 2 is still looking a quite pants, my expectations will be low.
    Pants, you say?You should look again, although low expectations are the only kind that can lead to pleasant surprises. More Flemeth, better art, improved gameplay, elven companions that don't look and act like they've just stepped out of California, and the console version will be more tactical this time. What is there to "pants" about here? Bethany's oversized breasts in certain screenshots? Devs have stated that as the story is being told by an unreliable narrator, there will be instances of exaggeration (probably shortly before Cassandra the Inquisitor tells him to stuff his nonsense and her rack pops back to a normal size for her body type.)

What I mean by improved gameplay; this time, companions will respond immediately to your tactical orders instead of spending the moments during transition to combat drawing their weapons and running pell mell around you, and if you run too far away, a blow that seems to miss you will actually miss you this time instead of the P&P/BG-style behind-the-scenes calculations in DAO that would cause you to get away but still get arbitrarily hit.

Granted, you are forced to be human, which sucks, but there are different body types by class this time at least, and the story has actual focus now, allowing them to make your companions interact with your specific background, whereas the vaunted origins in Origins were mentioned once by Wynne and once at the endgame and never seen again after the first two hours of play. And for once, unlike ME3, they didn't go with a save-the-world storyline. And you at last have family member characters who DON'T arbitrarily and expectedly die, but rather, come along and help you achieve your goals.

On that note, I like the proposed characters:
    --Bethany, your apostate-mage sister/Carver, your warrior brother. Possibly even your mom, depending on how that goes, whose maiden name is Amell, making you distantly related to the Amell in DAO.
    --A red-haired, practical female knight who favors people over honor. Cute, but has some visible muscle.
    --A storytelling dwarven merchant; rogue class, uses a crossbow, has grand mannerisms.
    --A shipwrecked female pirate captain from Rivain.
    --A lyrium-scarred former elven slave to a Tevinter mage.

So, a sibling or two, a female knight, a male dwarven rogue, a female pirate, and a male elven warrior. Got to give them credit for breaking the stereotypes enacted in the first game, where your warriors were a male qunari (essentially a human in DAO), a male human, a male dwarf, and a male dog; your rogues were a human female and a male elf; and your mages were both women. Only unexpected archetype of that group was the female golem, and she was DLC.

More information would be located here. I'm glad they dared not to bind themselves permanently to the same formula as DAO for this series.

But, about Mark Meer being rubbish, agreed. Too bad the movie's sure to feature the closest possible Sheploo clone; casting Jennifer Hale would've been a great way to make up for all the publicity she's never gotten for all her fine work in the ME series so far.

Bethesda, I know they tried with FO3, but their writing just doesn't have the charm of Obsidian's or Bioware's, nowhere near. I'm not expecting much from Skyrim, and I really don't think I'll be surprised.

Well, I'm definitely looking forward to ME3, DA2, and TW2 at any rate.

You get commission on each copy sold or something?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

My concern regarding of DA2 are mostly related to Gameplay - eg streamlining of the skill tree, whether the combat will be dumbed down too much to be more accessible, etc. Note that my OP pre-dates the recent PC combat walkthrough video, which alleviated some concern, but my expectations will still be low.

Everything from a narrative point of view that they've revealed thus far I'm fine with. The concept of a ten year story arc told via a flashback framing device sounds pretty interesting.

TBH though, it'd be naive to believe that Bioware will be breaking from their tried and true character archetypes. DA2 will highly likely have analogues to your Carth's, Bastilla's, Canderous's, Jolee Bindu's, etc.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    You get commission on each copy sold or something?
    Yeah, Wynne was the same when Dragon Age Origins came out too, which quite frankly was a mediocre game, even by Bioware standards.
    Really does smell like a forum plant.

Yeah, Wynne has been a member of this forum for over 10 years just so she can post the occasional positive Dragon Age post as part of some BioWare marketing scheme.

Can you tone down the rudeness to people making interesting posts even if you don't agree with their opinions? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Yeah, Wynne was the same when Dragon Age Origins came out too, which quite frankly was a mediocre game, even by Bioware standards.
    Really does smell like a forum plant.
    I remember that. And she only pops up to drool over those games and then disappears again. Has nothing to do with opinions.

Where was an opinion stated? It was an observation, dv.

is Best Pony
    True story: I was a forum plant to make preparations to hype up Duke Nukem Forever. Imagine how bored I have been.

Chakat sex pillow
    Goddamn sleeper cells.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

That's cool. Certainly much better than getting Hans Zimmer or one of his lesser mini-mes.

verbose douchebag
    VERY cool that Mansell is doing the music.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Please no rearrangements of Lux Aeterna though. Tchaikovsky either for that matter.

I'm sure my favorite poppies member will come up with something new and memorable but as franchises go he will be bound to the themes heard before in me1+2.

(PS: poppies == PWEI)

Of course there won't be any Lux Aeterna. Not Mansell's fault it's been ripped into every thing that tries to be dramatic since Requiem. Anyways, it's fun to get another quality game soundtrack that you can listen without playing the game.

On that note, Mansell hasn't created a single bad or even just "good" scores yet, so it's most likely going to be awesome.

So no one will miss jack wall?