TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3 - Mark Meer will continue to be rubbish

Thing What Kicks
    I wasn't going to be buying ME3 for PC anyway, with my current favourite ME2 platform being the PS3, but there are lots of things that EA are doing with ME3 that are potentially putting me off of buying it at all.
    I really don't like EA trying to force another digital distribution platform on PC gamers, especially when given their track record.
    I also feel that multiplayer has been unnecessarily shoe-horned in to the series purely because marketing think that multiplayer is the future. This article echoes my sentiments pretty accurately. And if that's the case, what other compromises have Bioware been forced to make?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Trailer featuring the only good incarnation of Shepard.

BANNED
    Mass effect yuck! i refuse to support this series and dragon age. just no...they are not even half the games that the legacy have produced. they have a few positives, but not enough to forgive all the negatives.

Shut up. You're dumb.

I'm in agreement with Eva's sentiments. Fem Shep is the only way to play.

@apdenton

I've had my fair share of foot-in-mouth-moments .. but you take the cake.
    Every thread I've read tonight since I got home from work has had you in it cocking everything up. Sure dethy might be provoking you a bit, but in truth, he is just being a good angler, and you're falling it for it like a skydiver on Jupiter.

There's this thing called thinking you're supposed to do before hitting the reply button. Please do try it out.

Back on topic, I hear that Mass Effect 3 will give you the option to play as Gayshep.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Source?

As long as this includes FemShep being able to bang Tali, I'm there.

Moderator and Priest
    Tali? Really? You don't even know what she looks like underneath all that breathing gear. She could be some chick with...like...5 mouths, three boobs, and a...

...oh, I get it now.

This is your four minute warning, people.

Damn it, just when I was going to perform some lyric-scrolling.

In lieu of a full page of Whitney Houston lyrics, I shall perform amazing feats of pedantry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-minute_warning

You should be, it's pretty swell.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Demo available now, size 2.1GB.
    Direct link (requires Origin client, obviously).

Alternatively:-
    1. Launch the Origin client and click the Store tab.
    2. Click Free Games at the top centre.
    3. Download the ME3 demo.

Moderator and Priest
    Trying this out...

One thing that has surprised me is just how smooth Origin has been so far. It's got a nice, clean Ubuntuish UI, and everything is laid a bit nicer than it is in Steam. Shame I'm so suspicious of EA.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

My biggest gripe about Origin is that keys for the likes of expired MP beta clients and demos aren't removed from your account. You have to contact EA support, otherwise you have a bunch of useless detritus cluttering your "My Games" library.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, so I played the first part of the demo - the introduction. It's not quite as moreish as ME2's opening, because apart from the sweet intro sequence and the faintly (very faintly; it's just the music that carries the weight, really, not the writing) poignant outro, the stuff in between is deadly dull: the combat sections involved some of the most boring enemies ever featured in the series, awkward use of cover and running, and everything lacked a certain amount of kick.

Even though there were enough explosions to give Michael Bay pause, or perhaps because of them, and the fact that no matter how much Shepard's thrown about while running through or around a random exploding section of architecture, nothing ever happens to him -- he just flails about then gets back up and dusts himself off -- there's no actual sense of danger or threat to the proceedings except during the forced combat waves... which, as I mentioned, are so incredibly meh. It's a lot of bluff and bluster but that's all it is. Accessibility and easing off player frustration is well and good, but doing it at obvious expense to the narrative is questionable at best.

Also, for the love of god, Bioware, forcing PC players to use one goddamn key for cover, interaction, and running is not and never has been a good idea, you bunch of flaming assmunches.

And yet... I'm going to fucking pre-order it anyway, aren't I. God damn it all.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 14th Feb 2012 at 18:47.

Since the glory days of GOOD demos have been gone for around 10 years, I'd say hold off judgement on the boring action. 5 minutes of gameplay is crappy for forming much of an opinion of the overall flow.

I did find the shooting to be more responsive and much more satisfying than in the previous games, although I'm trying to figure out if theres a way to lower your weapon. I didn't like the always-ready stance that you're forced to play with. Maybe thats a demo glitch I dunno, but it is very immersion breaking.

Runs smoothly, native surround monitor support (FUCKING THANK YOU, FINALLY PPL ARE CATCHING ON!)
    cutscene continuity with gameplay (you have pistol/AR equipped in game play, its equipped in cutscene). Not super important I guess, but just a pet peeve when it doesn't happen.

I'm looking forward to it, although I wont be pre-ordering. I'd like to replay the first 2 games and get the story setup the way I think i'd like it before continuing. And that wont happen till summer hits anyway. Too much damn school.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

There's an option that forces helmets to be toggled off during conversations. Fucking thank you! This was one of my biggest pet peeves about ME2, which made me shelve all of the fixed whole armour suits like the Inferno Armour and Blood Dragon Armour.

Also native AA support is there this time around. About bloody time.

The demo doesn't prompt me for my EA account details, so I'm gonna assume that the Origin client in Online mode provides them. I hope so, because I'd like to get the free horse armour that the ME3 demo unlocks for KoA: Reckoning (good ARPG that).

Well, pretty much gonna just deal with Origin and order. Went through ME2 again to get it set up and all.

But goddamnit EA. You've got your intro segment in the demo (only time I'll see level 1 in this game since ME2 characters come in at their level), and you've got your actual game section. 5 weapon slots - a shotgun for the vanguard, a rifle for the soldier, two damn pistols for the engineers and biotics - and a goddamned empty slot where my fucking sniper rifle should be.

I find it funny when people actually give a hoot what their characters look like.

Why?

Make your character look like you or someone you know (of), empathise more with your character, have more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    I find it funny when people actually give a hoot what their characters look like.
    I do and I don't. In Elder Scrolls games or DX:IW or some of the older Star Wars games it hardly makes a difference. Even with the massive amounts of tweaking you can do in oblivion / skyrim. The thing is your character there is a mute whom you never see if you play in FP mode the whole time.

On the other hand. My first playthrough of Mass Effect I had no idea what the game was about and hadn't even watched a game play video. I bought it in a bargain bin.

The very first thing I did was create a very distinct femshep, and its a whole character I created. Sure she sounds and talks like every other femshep out there, but I've identified with her because of how I created her. You see the characters so much in this game its actually jarring for me to watch a youtube vid with somebody playing a male sheppard or a female version that looks completely different from my own. The same thing makes so little difference in Oblivion, Skyrim, or Fallout 3/NV. The whole ME story was fleshed out with my version of the protagonist. I'll be making sure she looks just like I invision her when I finally get around to replaying everything.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

I played the demo, great stuff. NO MORE STRAIGHT REGEN HEALTH, YAY! It uses the Riddick/Resistance/Far Cry 2 health system which is a hybrid of the two popular models. Health packs actually matter once again, but segments of the health bar will regenerate under the right conditions.

The game's cover system is really, really good. BW had definitely been playing DX:HR and taking notes intently.

Been playing the demo on 360, and the multiplayer reminds me, a lot, of Hoard mode in Gears. Which, is not a bad thing.

Started playing the second part of the SP demo and then stopped, because I am a massive fan boy and I want to wait and play the real thing.

Also, somehow, I made the wrong choice at the beginning of the demo and the racist bitch is still alive. I'm guessing ME3 will import my ME2 Shep so I don't have to make that mistake again.

Well, I'd much rather have the racist bitch alive then Kaiden, simply because Ashley isn't going to fucking out rank me on my own ship. First time he goes "I think you meant 'Take Cover Now, SIR', didn't you commander?" you'll be wishing you blew his ass up.

Been enjoying the multiplayer a great deal. The SP demo didn't include a whole lot of the new game mechanics, like inventory or the weight vs cooldown time mechanic, and the multiplayer lets you get a good idea how those work. Looks very promising. Plus it's actually a lot of fun.

Well, until the fucking Ninjas show up, anyway.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast