TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 96 FirstFirst 12345678910152025303540455055 ... LastLast

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainem View Post
    There is a problem with the german version.

If you use the patcher it changes "language german" in the install.cfg to "language english". Because of this the game crashes if you don´t change the line back to german.

Can you fix this for the next version?
    yeah, the patch is for the english version, and (as you have already found out) a manual edit is required if you have some other one. I'll see what I can do, but no promises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychomorph View Post
    I have Thief Gold GoG.com version. As it is, but with widescreen patch and it runs fine. TGFix 1.09, however, screws things up. Game is brighter (gamma upped), cutscenes seem more pixelated (perhaps it comes from the brightness) and it crashes when launching mission.

Any ideas what the problem might be?
    yeah, the upped brightness is an error, I was testing something and forgot to set it back to the default. use the slider to set it to a value you prefer. as for the crashing, are you running a hd radeon under winxp by any chance? TGfix uses the latest ddfix, which is not compatible with certain hardware and software configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    yeah, the upped brightness is an error, I was testing something and forgot to set it back to the default. use the slider to set it to a value you prefer. as for the crashing, are you running a hd radeon under winxp by any chance? TGfix uses the latest ddfix, which is not compatible with certain hardware and software configurations.
    I have a Radeon HD 5840, but Win7. And I have the ddfix version v1.3.11b (shipped with GoG). You mean that TGFix automatically installs the latest ddfix? Is there a way to install only the goodies without ddfix? I uncheck all the components of TGFix once, but it still installed something, I guess it's ddfix then? Would be good a version where you can uncheck any single feature for installation.

Zombified
    yes, TFix will update ddfix automatically. strange that you have that issue, the latest ddfix should work fine with a hd radeon and win7 (are you using the latest driver?). try using the hdradeon_winxp fix (basically, this is ddfix 1.5.5, which may work better). it's included in the archive (not part of the installer). make sure to check the readme first. you may want to start the thief installation from the scratch, just to be sure (uninstall everything, install thief, install TFix, use the hdradeon_winxp fix).

I will try that, thanks. But why not generally give the user an option to install or not install ddfix? If it can be considered a fact that the latest ddfix doesn't work for everybody and if they already have a working ddfix installed, why not just let them patch the other stuff?
    Kind of doesn't make sense to me, or is ddfix necessary for the other features to be istalled?

Zombified
    it works for most people, and strange border cases can be handled via forum support, just like we are doing right now. and most people will need to have ddfix installed anyway, so there is no real point to add an option to not install it. and yes, it is required for some of the mods (water, skies).

So I installed the latest TFix with the Steam version of Thief Gold, and while it launches fine, it runs pretty poorly. Very choppy gameplay. Anyone have any idea why this is? (Keep in mind it's running at 1680x1050, my native res.)

Zombified
    even though Thief is an old game, it requires quite a decent gpu to run properly at higher resolutions. if you are running on some slow integrated graphics, the performance may not be satisfactory. disabling FSAA (in case it was enabled, check your gpu control panel) and using a lower resolution is recommended.

I have a Radeon HD 6850, which has served me well with every modern PC release thus far (at max or near-max settings), which is why I find it a bit surprising that Thief might be giving it issues. Hmm... how would I go about changing the resolution after I've already applied the patch? Are there any intensive graphics settings in TFix that I'm unaware of that may be contributing to the poor performance? Maybe I can disable those too?

Zombified
    your pc should run the game without breaking a sweat. something is wrong here.. try updating your graphics driver.

Sucess! Mostly! Nearly there!

I'm running Thief Gold (GOG edition) under Windows 7 Pro, under VMWare Fusion, on my iMac. I have a 27" iMac which has a native 2560x1440 resolution. If I run tfix with this resolution set, Thief will not work. It will start the game and play the cut scene but crash as soon as it tries to actually start a level.

The problem was the screen resolution. Dropping it down to 1920x1080 before applying the tfix allows tfix to pick a lower screen resolution and now thief works.

Except for one problem.

The health bar and breath meter are missing. I have a visibility gem though. I had this problem before when trying to use ddfix 1.5.X. The GOG edition ships with ddfix 1.3.something which did not exhibit this problem.

Is there a work around?

Quote Originally Posted by FezMonkey View Post
    I'm running Thief Gold (GOG edition) under Windows 7 Pro, under VMWare Fusion, on my iMac. I have a 27" iMac which has a native 2560x1440 resolution. If I run tfix with this resolution set, Thief will not work. It will start the game and play the cut scene but crash as soon as it tries to actually start a level.

The problem was the screen resolution. Dropping it down to 1920x1080 before applying the tfix allows tfix to pick a lower screen resolution and now thief works.

Except for one problem.

The health bar and breath meter are missing. I have a visibility gem though. I had this problem before when trying to use ddfix 1.5.X. The GOG edition ships with ddfix 1.3.something which did not exhibit this problem.

Is there a work around?
    I just solved my problem.

In the ddfix.ini, I just had to set:

Code:
    UseSysMemOverlay=2
    Everything's good now.

Zombified
    good to know. as for the resolution, there is a limitation of 2048*2048, anything above that will not work.

btw, is someone here running the original, (non-gold) Dark Project cd release (patched with the latest official patch)? I'm trying to ensure compatibility with the non-gold versions of the game, but they are not easily acquired (managed to snag the sold out/mastertronic version, but I'm still missing the original cd release). if you are running it, please post either a screenshot of your thief folder (showing all the files and folders inside), or a full list of folders/files. this will allow me to make sure that TFix will overwrite/move everything properly.

if you are aware of another T1 (non-gold) version that would potentially use a different folder/file structure, let me know.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I seem to recall one of the complete collections (Platinum maybe?) included T1 instead of TG, because everyone wondered why they did that.

I went to get my TDP only to find the disc missing.

But I hadn't thought of checking my collections discs. I'll look tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I seem to recall one of the complete collections (Platinum maybe?) included T1 instead of TG, because everyone wondered why they did that.
    The 'Thief - The Collection' came out first (with TDP, TMA, TDS).
    Some time later - I think - came 'Thief - The Complete Collection' (with TG, TMA, TDS).

Why they did that ? For the money off course !
    Some taffers got 'The Collection' first, just to figure out that a brand new 'Complete Collection' is out!
    And off course they would want to get that as well.
    And since they look almost identical - you could still buy the 'wrong one' by accident nowadays.

Zombified

Zombified
    guys, anybody running the german or french version (of T1 or TG)? I'm trying to add support for those versions as well, but I need to detect the language somehow, and making the nsis installer detect the language by reading the contents of cfg files is proving to be a bit more difficult that expected. it would be great if there were some language dependent files in the german and french installs (I can imagine the german readme being named liesmich.wri or similar), so I could hook up the detection on those.. the rest should be a piece of cake.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Could you open up one of the CRFs like books and see what language subfolder is in there? The English version has only \books\English so I imagine the other languages follow suit.

Zombified
    doing that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid - I'm pretty sure NSIS installer could do it, but I have no idea how, for now (been looking at some documentation, but without results).

well, if everything else fails, I can still make it user selectable.

another bad thing is that I have no way of testing whether it really works or not, as I don't have any french or german versions at hand (I think I know how the language switching works, but I could be wrong).
    Last edited by voodoo47; 29th Jul 2012 at 15:24.

Directory list of freshly installed German version:
    Code:
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\00000407.016
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\00000407.256
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\00000409.016
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\00000409.256
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\archer.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\BOOKS.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\cam.cfg
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\CLCD16.DLL
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\CLCD32.DLL
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\CLOKSPL.EXE
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\convict.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\dark.bnd
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\dark.cfg
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\DARK.GAM
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\DARKINST.CFG
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\DPLAYERX.DLL
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\DRVMGT.DLL
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\editor.res
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\EIDOS.URL
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\EidosStore.URL
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\ETS.URL
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\gen.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\install.cfg
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\INSTALL.LOG
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\intrface.crf
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\lglass.u
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\LGT.URL
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\LGVID.AX
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\license.txt
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MISS1.MIS
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss1.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss10.mis
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss10.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss11.mis
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss12.mis
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss12.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss13.mis
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss14.mis
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss14.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss15.mis
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss15.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss16.mis
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss16.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss2.mis
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss2.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss4.mis
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss4.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MISS5.MIS
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss6.mis
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss6.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss7.mis
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss7.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MISS8.MIS
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss8.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss9.mis
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\miss9.osm
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\motiondb.bin
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\obj.crf
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\patch.url
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\readme.wri
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\SAVES
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\SECDRV.SYS
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\SHKRES.RES
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\skeldata.res
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\STRINGS.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\TEXTURE.RES
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\thief2.exe
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\THIEF2.ICD
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\USER.CFG
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B01.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\b02.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\b04.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B05.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B06.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B07.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B08.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B09.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B10.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B11.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B12.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B13.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B14.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B15.avi
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\B16.AVI
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\CREDITS.AVI
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\CS05.AVI
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\CS10.AVI
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\CS16.AVI
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\MOVIES\INTRO.AVI
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\BITMAP.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\BOOKS.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\CAMERA.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\DEFAULT.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\EDITOR.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\FAM.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\INTRFACE.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\MESH.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\MOTIONS.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\OBJ.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\PAL.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\SND.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\SONG.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\RES\STRINGS.CRF
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\SAVES\cfg0000.bnd
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\SAVES\cfg0001.bnd
    D:\Games\Thief2_Deutch\SAVES\cfg0002.bnd
    Doh, It's Thief-2, ignore it.
    Last edited by DJ Riff; 31st Jul 2012 at 13:23.

Zombified
    no, it helps - I would say there are no localized files present in the install (thief2 would be very similar to thief1), that means I will have to either make the installer read install.cfg to get it working, or throw in the towel and make it user selectable. we'll see.

Hey there .o/

I have both the english and french version and, yeah, I can confirm there is no language specifically named file.
    I don't know which features nsis provides, but if it can run .bat or windows command line tools then a simple solution to reading the language from the .cfg file would be to get the errorlevel output from a command such as :
    type install.cfg | find /i "language french"
    You'll get errorlevel 1 if the string is not found, 0 if it is found.

You may also try to compare files, or use file hashes - if you need, I can provide CRC, md5 or almost any other hash for the 1.33 patched french CRFs. That's actually the method I use for my english to french and french to english patches

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    I will have to either make the installer read install.cfg to get it working, or throw in the towel and make it user selectable. we'll see.
    Some thoughts I have after quick studying NSIS Wiki:
    Read the file into a string variable
    — Use StrLower on it to convert all to lowercase
    — Use StrSort function to search for "$\nlanguage" and set both left and right markers to "$\r", not including them in the result. The result will look like "$\nlanguage english" or "$\nlanguage german" or "$\nlanguage german+english", etc.
    — Use StrSort again to search for "english", "german", etc. and check if the result string is not empty.
    A combination of StrLoc and StrCpy can be used instead of StrSort (StrLoc will return "-1" if substring is not found IIRC)

Or you can use Explode to create an array of strings before searching for "language".

Or you can use Load function from NSISList plug-in to read the file into array of strings right away.

Zombified
    I have asked Al_B to have a look at this, let's wait whether he comes up with something. I already have the version with user selectable languages ready, so I can fall back to that in the worst case scenario - right now, I do not have enough skill to use that advanced stuff (the original installer has been made by Al_B, I have only made some very simple edits when more files or fixes were added, and that has been enough until now).

Quote Originally Posted by Constance View Post
    type install.cfg | find /i "language french"
    You'll get errorlevel 1 if the string is not found, 0 if it is found.
    This won't detect "language french" (two spaces or more) and "language english+french". It also will mistakingly detect ";language french" and "install_path D:\my language french games\thief" as a valid language string.

Quote Originally Posted by Constance View Post
    You may also try to compare files, or use file hashes - if you need, I can provide CRC, md5 or almost any other hash for the 1.33 patched french CRFs. That's actually the method I use for my english to french and french to english patches
    Speaking of hashes, it's much better to check CRC of files which are never modified by any patches. Readme.wri seems a good candidate.

Page 5 of 96 FirstFirst 12345678910152025303540455055 ... LastLast