TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 404550556065707580858687888990
Results 2,226 to 2,244 of 2244

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

I just noticed that stealing some lit candlesticks also removes the light source. Is there any way to remove this effect in the settings and keep it like in olddark? Thanks

Also, the ring in Ramirez' bedroom in Assassins is hovering several inches above the carpet.
    Last edited by klatremus; 18th Apr 2017 at 02:52.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Zombified
    the short answer is no. also, I can't imagine a situation when this (light source being removed but its lightmap persisting) would be desirable - in fact, I've fixed all known instances of such objects around the maps (the fire arrow matches in Little Big World for example), as I consider this a full bug.

//yes, it does (float), doesn't it? *sneakily inserts a dml fix into the current build of TFix*
    Last edited by voodoo47; 18th Apr 2017 at 06:46.

I believe klatremus is asking because gold candlesticks with a light on them can't be collected in a Supreme Ghost run because the rules forbid the player from directly removing light sources. So while those candlesticks could be stolen in OldDark, they no longer can be stolen in a TFixed NewDark. By extension, it becomes impossible to achieve Perfect Supreme Ghost (100% loot) in those missions, assuming it was possible beforehand.

That is exactly the reasoning, Grandmauden. I totally understand you calling it a bug voodoo47, although I don't know if I fully agree. Did the original developers mean this to be possible, and mistakenly didn't realize it was flawed? It now enables you to remove lights that previous wasn't possible to remove. It changes the gameplay somewhat from the vanilla experience, that's all, but so do a lot of the other modern fixes. Please don't take this as a complaint, I was simply inquiring to see if there was an easy setting in say cam_ext.cfg that could redo it. If each individual candle has been changed and applied in the .dml, then in no way am I suggesting you to go back and reset them. You do amazing work for the community and I have nothing but praise for TFix.

The specific area I noticed first was in Ramirez' bathroom. 4 candles surround the tub. You can now darken the room considerably by taking the candlesticks. Interestingly though, the first candle you take (doesn't matter which one) doesn't remove its lightmap, but the other three do. I still think I will accept this for Supreme Ghost, since it originally didn't bust the mode in OldDark.

Perhaps, unchecking "Interactive Candles" box during TFix installation would help.

Or just removing CANDLES folder from MODS folder.

EDIT: Nope, didn't work for me. I guess it's more complicated than that.
    Last edited by marbleman; 18th Apr 2017 at 14:08.

Zombified
    the simplest solution to this problem would be to simply add an exception to the Perfect Supreme Ghost ruleset - if playing under NewDark/TFix, removing lightsources is allowed if they are loot.

the hard way would be setting the candles to use light instead of animlight and relighting the level (that would make the lightmap persist no matter what), but that would require map forks and I don't think I want to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    Interestingly though, the first candle you take (doesn't matter which one) doesn't remove its lightmap, but the other three do.
    I actually know about this oddity, it only happens if one of those candles is the very first piece of loot you take in that level (and only if you DON'T have interactive candles enabled). and as there is abundant amount of loot available before the player gets there, the chances of this happening are extremely low. but yeah, now that you've found out about it, I guess I'll have to fix it somehow (note to self - copy over the setup from squishable glowing mushrooms).
    Did the original developers mean this to be possible
    checking the game resources and the first five levels in the editor, there is quite a bit of evidence they were trying to make the candles interactive, but gave up (no kidding, trying to do this without NVscript would be like chewing on broken glass), and from T1 level 6 up and in T2 all the candles and chandeliers became just simple decorative objects.

also, never hesitate to criticize and/or complain - feedback is required to improve and change things, so I have absolutely no problems with it. the worst thing that can happen is that I'll say NO.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 18th Apr 2017 at 16:15.

Zombified
    that reminds me, I need to set up a TFix bugreport doc (sort of a primitive bugtracker) to keep reports nice and neat. hopefully later this week.

Several rooms in Assassins are much more brightly lit than they used to be. The guards' barracks/bedroom on the main floor for example. You could walk around most of the room in shade and you could easily tell where the shade was on the floor. Same with the first floor storage room in the east (where the guards carrying keys have a conversation), but not as significant there. Then Ramirez' counting room is also vastly different, and much more difficult. You can't hide anywhere in there except for to the left upon entry. There used to be multiple spots of concealment, especially over by the key on the counter. These areas need a completely new tactic if you're going for any kind of no damage/detection mode, and in some circumstances are plainly impossible. All these rooms have the same type of ceiling lamps, if that makes a difference. To me it seems like a mission-wide problem relating to the lightmaps' strength/saturation/pervasiveness (sorry for the horrible terms, as you can tell I'm not dromed savvy). Remember I talked a while back about a similar problem in the opening room in the restaurant in Thieves' Guild. That room was also much brighter than it should've been.

Is it enough just to move/rename the mission's .dml file to compare to the untampered version, or do I need to overwrite the .mis file with the 1999 original?

Zombified
    no, you will need the original map.

some small lighting changes are because a lot of light sources were moved a bit to not float off their respective surfaces, and a few candle based lights were modified because of the interactive candle mod (consistency). these changes should not be huge, however.
    Ramirez' counting room is also vastly different
    pretty sure nothing has been changed in that room (by me, anyway).
    Last edited by voodoo47; 19th Apr 2017 at 06:35.

As you can see in the following examples, a lot of the shadows are missing. The first example is most extreme, where you can't move into the room at all without going yellow or even red. The other two examples you can see it in the lightgem quite clearly.

TFix1:

No TFix1:

TFix2:

No TFix2:

TFix3:

No TFix3:

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Those are all spotlights too. I wonder if the spot radius on the archetype got changed somehow? Did the missions get relit for TFix?

Zombified
    I'll be having a look at this in a moment, so hopefully we'll see.

//yep, it's the custom gamesys. try this version of Assassins (I've relit the latest TFix level with the vanilla gamesys loaded) - if you can, give it a good pounding to see whether there are any wonky bits, especially with the interactive candles enabled.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 19th Apr 2017 at 17:50.

Went through the mission once and the lighting seems exactly like the original. It fixed all the issues mentioned before. I suspect this to be the reason for the lighting differences I noticed in Cragscleft and Thieves Guild also. Didn't try with interactive candles though. In fact, I don't think I've ever tried it, too much of a change in gameplay for me.

Found a wrong texture on one of the steps in the northeast staircase from the main floor. Surprised that hasn't been caught before.

Zombified
    ok, I'll probably relight all levels (and throw in fixes for the last few issues just for good measure) and push out 1.24b in a week or so.

Found this floating texture above the archer lookout walkway in the yard southwest of Ramirez' mansion.

Zombified
    it's not a floating texture, it's just the wall from outside, but yeah, not the best bit of brushwork there. will fix somehow.

Hmm...that is strange. When I moved 10 feet or so to either side, the texture disappeared. That's why I thought it was floating.

Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 404550556065707580858687888990