TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst 123456789141924293439444954 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Looks great, though I'd recommend nixing the higher res font score altogther, and doing it the oldschool way. Like this...

It's far less distracting, because it looks like it belongs in alongside the rest of your Atari 2600 style graphics.
    Hmm. I'd be looking online for a text font replacement library of some sort for opengl without luck (due to the default fonts available in opengl sucking), other than free type 2 which in an earlier project I worked on had slowed our game down. Could always just whip up my own functions and draw the numbers myself I guess. Had been thinking about doing that.

gunsmoke: I'll contact you soon about your request.

Thank you. And that score font Ren posted is just way too huge.

Yeah is. Though I get the idea. Stick to the scoreboard look from the original. Attempting to do that as we speak. Just running into some issues with the FTGL text libray. Hopefully get them fixed up.

Those houses remind me of Daggerfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    What is K engine?
    OpenGL based 3d engine.

Sorry, I forgot to answer this before and just remembered while rereading this thread.

That would be "K3dEngine" gunny

That's the only one I have ever seen before. Is the one you're using different?

By request the traditional scoreboard look is now in. After several days of issues with FTGL. Hunted online for Atari style fonts and the one used for the numbers in the above pic was the best I was able to find.

I just need to whip up some menu background images then it should be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    That's the only one I have ever seen before. Is the one you're using different?
    Using?

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    other than free type 2 which in an earlier project I worked on had slowed our game down
    It does not have any discernible effect on performance at all - unless you were rebuilding the glyphs all the time for no reason :/ ... or something else equally disastrous.

I discovered the source of it all. Our lead programmer had been setting the text/face size on every display text call (what we called the function). All working fine now.

Moderator and Priest
    Who's right about what now?

I've finally decided that a nearly 5 month hiatus is more than enough, and it was time to start working on my NWN tileset again.

After 4 hours of slaving to the grind, my labor has borne tasty fruits.

All this stuff is supposed to be Victorian era-ish, but it's all looking more 1930's by the time I'm done with it. Must be some psychological hangup I've got or something.

El Shagmeister

RENZ!

WHERE ARE YOU, YOU FUCK!?

Ok my Fishing Derby remake (now named Fishing Time) is now at a stage where I feel its ready for release. Please note that I have only tested it on my PC + a friends so if you run into any bugs that I've not encountered or are specific to your PC shoot me an email and I'll do my best to fix it up. There had been some issues with time stepping where certain things were running super fast on my friends PC but I believe I have that fixed up. Hope I got them all fixed, but its not something I can observe on my PC.

Other than that, enjoy .

Link:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KBEEYQY8

Uploaded it to megaupload as I don't have a website of my own just yet. Might get one at some point.
    Last edited by icemann; 21st May 2011 at 12:29.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    RENZ!

WHERE ARE YOU, YOU FUCK!?

Hey, I was on Steam for about 3 weeks straight (like two months ago), and I never saw you on even once. So where the hell were you?

Also I'm downloading Fishing game.

Edit: Icemann, tried it out, and got this...

Are there any specific libraries I need to install to get this running, or is it all self contained?
    Last edited by Renzatic; 21st May 2011 at 12:47.

Does casually messing around with the editor of a game count?

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Also I'm downloading Fishing game.

Edit: Icemann, tried it out, and got this...

Are there any specific libraries I need to install to get this running, or is it all self contained?
    Hmm strange. Doesn't do that on my friends PC. It requires libraries to run yes, though I included them all in the zip.

Some google searches on the error msg say to download:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...3-37bf0912db84

If anyone else has reports of it working or not that would be helpful. I developed the game on a Windows 7 PC. Not sure if that means it can't be used on earlier versions or not. Ran into issues with an earlier university game (Bipolar) not running on Windows XP machines.
    Last edited by icemann; 21st May 2011 at 15:32.

I get the same thing as Renzatic. I haven't been able to play it all this time.

Notes:
    * No crash here (WinXP 64bit).
    * Do not use megaupload - it has a f* waiting bullshit. Free easy to use no-wait alternatives: mediafire, dropbox.
    * I would suggest to use static linking where possible - it is just WAY too big.

Moderator and Priest

Some google searches on the error msg say to download:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...3-37bf0912db84
    Nope. Didn't work. I've tried goofing around with everything I can think of, and it still gives me the same error.

If it helps out at all, I'm on Win7 Pro x64.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrime
    Does casually messing around with the editor of a game count?
    I don't see why it wouldn't. Post up your stuff.

As for me, I haven't had much time to work on it, so all I've done is the top half of my steeple. It's turning out alright, but I'm a little concerned about the scale.

Scale guy down there is 1.8 meters, which is roughly kindasorta 6 foot tall. Based on that, do you think the church looks about to scale? It's not supposed to be big, but I'm afraid it might be a little squished.

Administrator
    Fishing Time doesn't work here either, I'm afraid - both 32 bit Windows XP or 64 bit Windows 7 came up with the same error Renzatic posted. It may be worth checking whether you've built both Fishing Time and the ftgl library in release mode rather than debug mode.

I compiled it in release mode. I had assumed that was what you were supposed to do with final releases.

This being my first game release I'm very new to all of this. Was I wrong in doing that? Be easy enough to switch it over to debug and recompile it.

Administrator
    Yes, release mode is correct. I was being suspicious because you included the "ftgl_d.dll" library which I suspected may be the debug version of that library.

Edit - yes, that DLL is the problem. I built freetype2 and ftgl in release mode and renamed the ftgl dll to ftgl_d.dll. Overwriting the one that was in your distribution allowed the game to start. I've uploaded a zipped version here. Just extract it into the Fishing Time directory.
    Last edited by Al_B; 22nd May 2011 at 08:21.

Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst 123456789141924293439444954 ... LastLast