TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26313641465156616671727374757677787980 LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 1985

Thread: What are you making?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    A notoriously dangerous narrative device. You don't want your player thinking "I wish I was playing that game!"
    I've seen something similar work once: In Oblivion you were more or less the sidekick to the main hero (the Emperor).

The main reason that works seems to me to be due to the fact that you're having interesting adventures on your own.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oblivion's main campaign was still a tepid bore, however.

The Witcher 3 managed to pull off the same thing with better execution. Geralt's not the sort of man who likes having the show revolve around him, but that doesn't mean drama doesn't follow him nonetheless. It's still Ciri's story, and you only get to play a few very short flashbacks that let you experience what she does.

Moderator and Priest
    A notoriously dangerous narrative device. You don't want your player thinking "I wish I was playing that game!"
    It wouldn't be a major focus, more a background thing thrown in for the humor. You wouldn't see the constantly, but on the occasions you do, they're always talking about something absolutely crazy. Like how Finster managed to successfully profile and capture a prolific serial killer, or rescue a load of small kids stranded during a flood, or how he confronted and outdebated a physicist during a TED seminar. Yet your only interactions with Finster involve him breathing heavily, and staring at you with those big, stupid eyes. He never moves, never talks, never does anything besides EEHH HEEE EEHH HEEE...

...and if you bring up that fact, the other Weird Kids will call you out for being a dick.

This isn't something I'd build the whole game around, more a background thing I thought would be funny if I could pull it off right.

@renz - what's the time period? I kind of got the "growing up in the 80s/90s" vibe with Rocko Modern Life, Nickleodean, early cartoon network. It could reverberate with that crowd, methinks.

And Finster has a nice goofy charm to him

Moderator and Priest
    I'm thinking mid-late 90's for the setting, though that probably wouldn't play much into the overall story, besides there being a lack of cellphones.

Also, the forum decided to delete the picture I posted of the other two kids (of a planned total 5), so I'll post it again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WeirdKids.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	2373

...and I don't know why the forum is throwing the colors off. You'll have to click the image to see them in their actual colors.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Looking good! And yeah, the forum definitely is making their skin redder.

I've noticed embedded images getting darker sometimes too, maybe something to do with what color profile or color mode it's in?

Administrator
    Yes, that image has a "Canon MX920 series PT3" colour profile embedded into it. You can see the same red tint to the skin if you open the full-size image in an application that doesn't handle colour profiles correctly (e.g. paint.net). The internal forum image resizing was discarding the profile so you ended up with the image without the associated profile causing your browser to draw it incorrectly. I've replaced the forum library with an alternative and the thumbnails should now look like the fullsize images.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Way to go, Al!

I've started using https://www.toggl.com to track my time working on Glade Raid. It's pretty cool so far. Discovery: I have very little free time. Well, that and I don't use it all for my project.

Moderator and Priest
    That's pretty cool, Al. Thanks.

New rock (gravel, boulders, impassable rock walls) and bushes, in their painted and in-game forms. I'm still not happy with the bushes, but I really like how the rocks turned out. Still needs their shadow layer, though. Maybe I'll take all my failed attempts at low brush and merge them together into a single extra-bushy hex tile sprite.

Moderator and Priest
    Now that looks pretty damn good, Pyrian.

If there's one thing I think you need (which is advice you should take with a grain of salt, since I can't paint for shit), it'd be more transitional tiles. Like something that segues between dirt, grass, and stone.

Thanks, Renz! 'Koob said the same thing about transitions, and I agree, but... The scale is just staggering. There are 21 terrain types and four sprites for each. If there was a unique sprite for every possible triple-corner I would need 222,264. Obviously that's out of scope, but even just doing the bare minimum to have some transitions adds a ton of work. Once I've got all the tiles and add-ons in I'll see about trying to add a few.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, very nice Pyrian. The rock/stone tiles look especially great.

You might be able to drastically cut down on that number by making the transitions as overlays.

For example, you make one tile of rocks fading into grass on all sides, but you only overlay the parts of the texture where the transition should be, using the base rocks-only texture for the other edges.

Thanks, Renz! 'Koob said the same thing about transitions, and I agree, but... The scale is just staggering. There are 21 terrain types and four sprites for each. If there was a unique sprite for every possible triple-corner I would need 222,264. Obviously that's out of scope, but even just doing the bare minimum to have some transitions adds a ton of work. Once I've got all the tiles and add-ons in I'll see about trying to add a few.
    Assuming that every terrain type could border any other terrain type, that'd still be ~400 different overlays if using NV's suggestion, not doing both "Stone next to grass" & "Grass next to stone" and ignoring the 4 unique per terrain type. Quite a lot of work compared to the 84 you already have.

For a more managable set you could limit yourself to the most common transitions that the 3-4 most common terrain types have. Just enough to make the most frequent terrain borders not be as jarring.

The rocks look good but don't stand out from the background very well, maybe give them some bottom shadow or darken overall? Also not huge on the rocky ground, a little "too rocky" and seems like it would difficult to even walk on. Maybe tweak contrast down a bit?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    For a more managable set you could limit yourself to the most common transitions that the 3-4 most common terrain types have. Just enough to make the most frequent terrain borders not be as jarring.
    Right. He doesn't have to have a transition set for every single possible combination, just the ones that are most likely to be set against each other. Like, for instance, rocks to grass to beaches to sea. You wouldn't want too many anyway, since having a tile for every conceivable blend would end up looking too noisy.

Think of it less as "I need transitions for everything" and more "where would a transition look good".

Oh, and I agree with Yak. I'm assuming that the larger stones in the rock set aren't traversable, so you'll probably need to darken the base rocks (or vice versa) so the larger ones look more like ridges that aren't meant to be walked on.

I ran into a watercolored game today surfing Itch, Yurei Station. Kids game, but it looks nice. There's a subgenre of them there actually. May be some good inspiration.

Latest little chunk of work done on my Shadowrun UGC. More just creating and finishing off areas for the quest area I was focusing on. Still quite a bit of work to do. Bit by bit it's coming along.

When this is all done I'll need to play through the whole thing to ensure it all runs fine. That will take QUITE a bit of time, considering that it's about 3-7 hours of gameplay. Be about 4-9 by the time it's done. Not sure if I'll do episode 3 of it as my motivation comes and goes for working on it. Makes life harder mixing what free time I have between this, my ebay business, teaching work and gaming. And I'd like to get back into proper proper indie games development again. Considering that I'm currently teaching subjects surrounding that at uni, that adds to craving to work on that again.

Ladies and Gentlemen, We've got Steam!

Nice going!

Let's hope it gets as popular as Papers, Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    ... but on the occasions you do, they're always talking about something absolutely crazy. Like how Finster managed to successfully profile and capture a prolific serial killer, or rescue a load of small kids stranded during a flood, or how he confronted and outdebated a physicist during a TED seminar. Yet your only interactions with Finster involve him breathing heavily, and staring at you with those big, stupid eyes. He never moves, never talks, never does anything besides EEHH HEEE EEHH HEEE.
    Worked well for Morn ( http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Morn ) cannot see any reason it would not work in game setting too. I am already amused just from imagining it.

Moderator and Priest
    Wow. I forgot all about Morn! He was probably subconsciously influencing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Nice going!

Let's hope it gets as popular as Papers, Please.
    Wouldn't that be nice...

Last thing to add now is achievements, trying to think of some clever and fun ones, besides the generic "get X ending." Obligatory "Banhammer" for banning all articles xD

Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26313641465156616671727374757677787980 LastLast