TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 293439444954596469747576777879
Results 1,951 to 1,967 of 1967

Thread: What are you making?

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    ...essentially good people rationalizing...
    If money is the root of all evil, "essentially good people rationalizing" is the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    So Yakoob, would you be willing to share sales stats?
    A little over 2k now.

Nice . Congratz.

Now they're talking smack XD

Btw I setup a discord if anyone is interested in joining the development discussion (and telling me how much my progress shot suck aahahah) - https://discord.gg/Zz3eD5Q

Hmm. Should I start a discord for Glade Raid? Honestly I don't get any feedback anywhere but here (and cornered friends/family), lol.

Depends on your goal. I started a discord specifically for Headliner Dev chatter and building the Unbound Creations community in the long run. Not sure it's gonna grow much, but I already got a few people there from Steam and Twitter helping with brainstorming. We'll see how it goes.

You can join the TTLG-Kru Discord, but... you're mostly going to get the same people as those who already post here.

Sure, why not.

Just some things I made while checking out Blender a year ago:

More here:
    https://imgur.com/a/S9JwJ

I wanted to check out what Blender could do and also what I could do with Blender, so I started by going through hundreds of tutorials to get started and then practised on some things I happend to have at home (except the old style trumpet, which I used pictures for). What I had the most trouble with were the organic shapes and I also didn't care much for optimization (like polycount and such). I was worried that I would really suck at it, but it was easier than I thought, once I had gone through all those tutorials, and things didn't turn out too bad -- a lot due to Blender being really powerful and able to do a lot of stuff for you. All in all, I spent around two months on this and haven't touched Blender since then, so I've forgotten most of it now and will have to re-learn everything. I should probably build a little every day, but there are so many other things to do, so for now I'm saving that for when it's really needed.

I'm also coding a system for boolean operators applied on 3D volumes:

This turned out to not be the easiest thing one could do, but it's actually working now (after around 6 months I think), although I still have test cases for which it fails, so a lot of work remains. I'm also not using the best triangulation method, but, for starters, I just needed something that worked and was relatively easy to implement, so that might change later. I'm still not sure if it will be good enough to use in-game, which is what I want to use it for, so that's also something I need to work more on. Correct texture handling is missing too, as well as an in-game interface. The thing that worries me most is getting the bugs fixed, but also how well it will run once done (although that worries me less): worst case scenario is having to skip it altogether (and save it for some other time), so I'm keeping that part of the game open until I know (so it's easier to replace).

More here:
    https://imgur.com/a/Xz1G2

I'm doing a bit of landscaping too, but there's not much worth showing there at the moment (just the underlying shapes and no real scenery yet). The landscape is taken (via old maps) from where I grew up and the woods I spent a lot of time in, but the real thing is mostly gone now (in the name of progress).

Level 10,000 achieved
    What you gonna use that boolean magic for?

Also OMG I HAVE ALMOST THE EXACT SAME BUTTERKNIFE! :U

The boolean systems in professional 3D modelling programs are all awful, so if yours is better than that, you're already beating multi-million dollar software.

Moderator and Priest
    It looks like it already automatically converts any new geometry to tris and quads, so you've got a hand up there, at least.

That said, Modo's new Meshfusion boolean system is fairly decent these days. The problem is, it's so complicated and rigidly defined, it might still be better just trying to shape new geometry by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    What you gonna use that boolean magic for?
    It all started with the idea of my game character being able to control physics in some places, so why not also being able to rebuild certain objects (to some extent)? Then I unfortunately started thinking about maybe doing it using boolean operations and allow more general rebuilding. Had I known when I started how complex that really is, I might have skipped it, but I'm apparently insane, so here I am...

Also OMG I HAVE ALMOST THE EXACT SAME BUTTERKNIFE! :U
    It is a nice type of butter knife, isn't it!? Although, there is something with metal that makes spreading the butter harder than with a wooden butter knife. I think it's the lower friction of metal compared to wood that makes the butter not cling well enough to the blade, so the blade sort of just slides over the butter (or the butter slips off and ends up not on the bread, but on the floor)... Anyway, butter knife physics aside, I think I got it from my grandparents a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    The boolean systems in professional 3D modelling programs are all awful, so if yours is better than that, you're already beating multi-million dollar software.
    Yeah, I did some research before I started to see what had already been done and couldn't find any that didn't need manual adjustments afterwards (like the one in Blender at the time). In modelling software that is sort of okay, since the modeller can fix it afterwards and the player will never see any of it, but in my case, the modeller is also the player, so it has to be perfect. I don't know if what I have is better than anything else, although I guess it is pretty good -- but that probably just means I haven't yet tested the cases where it fails miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    It looks like it already automatically converts any new geometry to tris and quads, so you've got a hand up there, at least.
    There sort of isn't any new geometry, I'm just combining what's already there (and also cut triangles that need to be cut and re-triangulate the polygons (which sometimes have holes in them) and so on and so forth...), which is hard enough, but Unreal does a few things to help: I can for example access all triangles of a mesh without having to care about how it was modelled (as far as I know, Unreal converts any quads to triangles). My code is made to work in Unreal, so it might not work at all in other situations.

The main problem is that there are so many cases to handle and it's all so finicky (even the slightest change can mess things up). At the moment I have around 20 test cases of which 3 or 4 are failing, which means one or two triangles disappearing or being in the wrong place. The errors aren't huge, but I can't afford anything going wrong. Sometimes I despair, but, on the other hand, I have come pretty far.

After I had already been at it for a few months I learned that this is something people (as in solo developers) are always adviced not to even try, so maybe it was a bad idea. On the other hand, even if I have to scrap everything, I have gotten a lot of practice (both math-wise and code-wise).

That said, Modo's new Meshfusion boolean system is fairly decent these days. The problem is, it's so complicated and rigidly defined, it might still be better just trying to shape new geometry by hand.
    In which way is it "complicated and rigidly defined"? Does it, for example, work only on a specific set of objects (like, let's say, only cubes and spheres)?
    Last edited by qolelis; 15th Nov 2017 at 05:05.

You think one set of triangles being wrong is bad?
    3D Studio Max's boolean systems - even the new "ProBoolean" systems - regularly just destroys the entire object, removing almost all of the original polies and keeping a few around the join, or otherwise turning the object into a bizarre mess.

Well, if that's the case, my thing might actually be better -- but it's still not good enough for in-game use. I'll keep on working on it, though, until it either is or I reach a point where I have to shelf it.

I just checked Blender's boolean tool again and while it works for basic shapes, it can't handle more complex shapes (whole sets of surfaces disappear or nothing happens at all), so maybe I am on to something after all.

Got fungus integrate, woosh. Don't mind placeholdery art

I've started making a character-driven cyberpunk strategy game. Nothing visual to show off yet, because I'm screwing around with data structures and working out what I'm going to need (a tonne of agents). Probably won't make much progress until the middle of next year. I think by then, and after a bunch of prototypes, I'll know whether it'll be worth it - because what I'm aiming for is incredibly ambitious.

Setting: Medium-term future in a cluster of coastal megacity states. All urban territory.
    What it won't be: City builder, economic/management sim, war game.
    Agents: Characters with their own personality stats - RPG. Start by generating your own (pick ideologies, vices, etc). Create and control an organisation: Political party, religion (UFO cult, cybernetic, etc), corporation (nothing too dry, variety of relevant types). Multiple characters inhabit each organisation.
    Core gameplay loop: Favours for other characters with mutual interests will earn you 'tokens' - like collecting cards in a card game - which represent favours they can give in return (ie, an intelligence org can dig up dirt on someone for blackmail, etc). These can be spent during turn-based encounters. Encounters include things like court battles, civil disorder, election campaigns, cyberspace actions etc. I want to make them punchy pay-offs.
    Dynamic factions: Characters align based on mutual interest. Factions tend to form dynamically within - and between - organisations. This creates conflict and drives events. Orgs can have their functioning affected by infighting.
    Interface: Main city view with territories. Graph view visualises orgs, characters, and their relationships [rough ballpark].
    Politics: Playing around with the idea of political system with separation of powers - executive, judiciary, legislative. Laws to be nudged. Gerrymandering districts. Civil society movements. Cyber-sovereignty. All the way to the wacky stuff like AI judges, Jonestown style cults that upload themselves to cyberspace, etc. Balance between sci-fi and authentic politics.

My notes have way more detail. The aim is to make some core loop prototypes in a small world to test whether I can make something fun, and then scale the complexity from there. See where it goes.

Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 293439444954596469747576777879