TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

"Finished" my space invaders game for class and turned it in today. Wasn't really finished to the amount I wanted it to be, but whatever. Worked well enough for the grade I think.

Here's a screenshot:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldron View Post
    A roguelike emergent sandbox type game, much like minecraft, but leaning way more towards dwarf fortress,

meaning: skill-based stats system, experience, recipes for crafting, and townbuilding with npc's
    It's sorta funny. I want Dwarf Fortress to be more like Minecraft, and Minecraft to be more like Dwarf Fortress. Thus far, I've been horribly disappointed.

So if you finish this, then I will bear your babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur
    I'm sorta envious of your skills because I've spent years fooling around with 3D Studio and all I can do to this day is a slightly misshaped wang -- and only if I'm pushed, at that.
    That's because you've probably never done anything beyond making wangs. Find a good tutorial based around a project (something like this, and you'll pick up the basics of modeling surprisingly quickly.

The way I see it, if I can do it, anyone can. There's nothing stopping you from doing the same, other than not taking that extra step towards more complicated stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett
    "Finished" my space invaders...
    ..and you didn't give us a link to try it out.

I can't. Unless

A.) You have Unity installed and can import the project.
    or
    B.) I export it.

Oh, and now for our last project we must do a 2d arcade game. I have no idea what I want to do yet, but it obviously can't be space invaders.

Moderator and Priest
    Ghosts 'n Goblins. Do it.

Or Pac-Man if you want to learn how to do AI search algorithms.

Renz, I've uploaded it for you. Keep in mind that it's very basic, as you could probably already tell from the screenshot earlier.

Moderator and Priest
    Got it. I'd say it's an excellent first step towrds you making Ghosts 'n Goblins.

is Best Pony
    Sod GnG, RAINBOW ISLANDS

Moderator and Priest
    No! Snow Bros!

Bubble Bobble

Custer's Revenge

is Best Pony
    Ikari Warriors!

Shot of my current work:

I've decided to do a remake of the really bad Dragonslair game on the NES (as reviewed by AVGN many years ago). Why remake a bad game? To turn it into a good one through proper game balancing and better difficulty curves.

Very early days with the remake. Still working on improving my level editor as I think of new features to add in + getting all the level textures in will take QUITE some time. But this is the first screen of the game replicated minus the annoying insta death causing dragon + dissolving draw bridge blocks which I will not be putting in.

Thanks for the suggestion guys, but I've already made a decision.

I'm doing Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I'm doing Shinobi

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Shot of my current work
    That's pretty cool looking. How long til you have some gameplay in place?

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett
    I'm doing Shinobi
    Bahhh. Should've done Ghosts 'n Goblins.

sNeaksieGarrett: Awesome. Shinobi was a great game back in the day.

Renzatic: Well that shot was a few nights work, mostly on converting the textures of the first screen over to the format I use mine in (32x32 pixel tiles). As the next level uses pretty much the same textures over and over again, that one shouldn't take long (my plans to have the first 2 levels in the nes version be combined into a singular seamless level with some changes here and there to make it easier and less high end difficulty).

Then be the matter of converting over the player sprites and getting those working the way I want, then onto enemies and moving platforms. Once I have levels 1/2 done I'll release a demo. In theory be a few weeks, but I'm learning as I go with this one as its ALOT more challenging than the Atari 2600 remakes I'd been doing previously. Great learning experience. And the changes I make to my level editor as I go through this will cut down development times of future games I do significantly.
    Last edited by icemann; 9th Jul 2011 at 04:07.

I am making generic Command & Conquer 3 mods (which are on Moddb).

Link?

Thanks

Shinobi 'finished' (for class)

I turned in my project on Thursday of last week. Was not as finished as I would have liked (didn't have time to improve it, I actually spent the previous night before it was due working on the project until almost 3 am!) I should improve on it outside of class so that I can make it more polished and complete...

Congrats.
    "..." meaning you're not going to keep it from us when it's presentable, I trust.

Thanks.

I can share what I have if you want, but you'll have to keep in mind that it does have bugs and isn't entirely complete but it is playable.

Does it have the movement transitions working right? As in, move invaders to the max left then move down, move to right side then move down, rinse repeat etc.

That took me a while to get working right. Only have the bottom most per column invaders shoot took me ages also.

And for a progress report on my end, I've got the 1st level completed mapped and textured. Just a matter of getting the moving objects in now complete with animations. Seems that SDL isn't so good when it comes to scrolling screens (a slight jumpiness is there with it when it moves the screen across). I might need to switch everything over to openGL/GLUT.

Or I just leave it being jerky. Though I don't like the sound of that. Switching to openGL would take quite some time to get working properly. So we shall see.

I've tested having a simple player running about the level. Looks fine besides the slight jerkyness.

Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358 ... LastLast