TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 303540455055606570757677787980
Results 1,976 to 1,986 of 1986

Thread: What are you making?

I went back to Unity cause I'm used to it, so it was quicker to get started. Unreal or Unity, eitherway I can get my game done, it's just a matter of works fastest in my case.

As for making stuff, I tweaked my boxart to make a little promo.

Happy T-day, y'all.

When I started, Unreal didn't really cater to indies yet. I have a lot of issues with Unity, but it is the devil I know. I periodically think about switching, especially on a day like today where the "inherit velocity" particle properties depend on the simulation space property without actually mentioning that little detail when you select them. I'm not eager to start over again, though. I have a deep suspicion Unreal is going to annoy me, too.

One of my reasons for choosing UE4 was basically this: Epic Games have been making game engines since the late '90s. Their engines have been used in a large number of professional games since then, and have got better with each version. Therefore, I trust them more to be able to make a good engine than the relatively smaller and more recent Unity.

But I thought the question was more "are the frameworks good?" not "hey, let's argue about which one is the best!"
    And the answer to that is: yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    One of my reasons for choosing UE4 was basically this: Epic Games have been making game engines since the late '90s. Their engines have been used in a large number of professional games since then, and have got better with each version. Therefore, I trust them more to be able to make a good engine than the relatively smaller and more recent Unity.

But I thought the question was more "are the frameworks good?" not "hey, let's argue about which one is the best!"
    And the answer to that is: yes.
    SDK's are undoubtedly necessary if you're a an indie developer. I think the two things necessary have happened to make it possible for small teams to be sucessful. That's the the move to digital on the PC side and the advancement of SDK's like Unity, UE4 and possibly Lumberyard.

Did my first bit of games dev (as in proper proper games dev, not just Shadowrun Returns UGC work) in QUITE some time. Been years.

Anyways. I wanted to port my earlier "Fishing Time" game over to SDL as the original version I did in GLUT/OpenGL would not work on peoples computers without having to install a heap of DLL files. And I like SDL more.

Well it took about 24 hours-ish of work, but I got it there. Programming when you've not coded properly in years is very odd. All comes back slowly. Years ago I had (after finishing off Dragon's Castle) set to work on porting this over, then got stuck trying to get timeDelta stuff to work in it. Then got side tracked and forgot about it.

This time around I tried for a few hours to get timeDelta to work right, then just said meh bugger it, and went back to an earlier version I'd saved a backup of, from prior to trying to put timeDelta in. SDL does time time stuff far better than openGL ever did anyway. So did that, then had to get all the mechanics working properly. That took a few more hours and I realized it was 6am so off to bed.

Today, I worked on adding back in the menu, then trying to get joystick support working properly for when redefining player controls. Tried all day. Never could get it working and so was like fuck it, and just switched joystick controls to defaults with only basic checking and restricted it to player 2. And now it's fully working.

All that's left to add back in is the animated initial menu screen. I'll do that tomorrow maybe.

Pub talk with the bro...

The bartender is truly faceless. Kind of creepy.

oh yea that's just a placeholder for now. I'd love it without the bartender -.-

EDIT: Oh snap, Vecteezy is aweome, it lets you edit the vector art in browser before downloading Just removed the guy, woo!
    Last edited by Yakoob; 30th Nov 2017 at 17:18.

The art work on the guy on the right looks excellent. Your work?

Pssh, need to ask? You should know by now that if it looks excellent, it probably wasn't made by me

Went to a family Christmas party today. Got a bunch of scratchy tickets as a present. One of them had some elaborate "game play", which gave me an idea for a quick game to put together.

As I already made my own level editor for Dragon's Castle, I had the bare bones of what I needed. Just had to create some new image tiles for letters. Yes I know I could just draw the text to screen, but the puzzle game I have in mind will have set levels. So in the level editor you need to see the letters your placing to create the intended words.

Anyways. An early dev shot:

I've named my game "crossTrix" as it's crosswords, with you getting 3 chances at a particular gameplay mechanic. This game in theory as it's relatively simple gameplay wise, and as I have much of the groundwork already in place should not take long to put together.

As I completely suck at art (when it's not converting over someone else's) I might go purposely for a retro look, and maybe re-use some of my earlier graphic tiles and make some changes. To add some challenge + new gained knowledge I'd like to make this completely mouse driven. My level editor already is a mix of keyboard + mouse so shouldn't be overly hard. In theory. Doing everything from scratch (not counting my re-use of dragon's castle code) in C++ adds that extra challenge factor also.

[edit]
    And a few hours later I've got about 75% of what I need to be in the level editor, in. Just needs a way of toggling which letters to give to the player per level:

And this is a quick mockup done on the intended look in the final-ish version:

Last edited by icemann; 17th Dec 2017 at 11:32.

Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 303540455055606570757677787980