TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 80 of 92 FirstFirst ... 303540455055606570757677787980818283848590 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 2292

Thread: What are you making?

I went back to Unity cause I'm used to it, so it was quicker to get started. Unreal or Unity, eitherway I can get my game done, it's just a matter of works fastest in my case.

As for making stuff, I tweaked my boxart to make a little promo.

Happy T-day, y'all.

When I started, Unreal didn't really cater to indies yet. I have a lot of issues with Unity, but it is the devil I know. I periodically think about switching, especially on a day like today where the "inherit velocity" particle properties depend on the simulation space property without actually mentioning that little detail when you select them. I'm not eager to start over again, though. I have a deep suspicion Unreal is going to annoy me, too.

One of my reasons for choosing UE4 was basically this: Epic Games have been making game engines since the late '90s. Their engines have been used in a large number of professional games since then, and have got better with each version. Therefore, I trust them more to be able to make a good engine than the relatively smaller and more recent Unity.

But I thought the question was more "are the frameworks good?" not "hey, let's argue about which one is the best!"
    And the answer to that is: yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    One of my reasons for choosing UE4 was basically this: Epic Games have been making game engines since the late '90s. Their engines have been used in a large number of professional games since then, and have got better with each version. Therefore, I trust them more to be able to make a good engine than the relatively smaller and more recent Unity.

But I thought the question was more "are the frameworks good?" not "hey, let's argue about which one is the best!"
    And the answer to that is: yes.
    SDK's are undoubtedly necessary if you're a an indie developer. I think the two things necessary have happened to make it possible for small teams to be sucessful. That's the the move to digital on the PC side and the advancement of SDK's like Unity, UE4 and possibly Lumberyard.

Did my first bit of games dev (as in proper proper games dev, not just Shadowrun Returns UGC work) in QUITE some time. Been years.

Anyways. I wanted to port my earlier "Fishing Time" game over to SDL as the original version I did in GLUT/OpenGL would not work on peoples computers without having to install a heap of DLL files. And I like SDL more.

Well it took about 24 hours-ish of work, but I got it there. Programming when you've not coded properly in years is very odd. All comes back slowly. Years ago I had (after finishing off Dragon's Castle) set to work on porting this over, then got stuck trying to get timeDelta stuff to work in it. Then got side tracked and forgot about it.

This time around I tried for a few hours to get timeDelta to work right, then just said meh bugger it, and went back to an earlier version I'd saved a backup of, from prior to trying to put timeDelta in. SDL does time time stuff far better than openGL ever did anyway. So did that, then had to get all the mechanics working properly. That took a few more hours and I realized it was 6am so off to bed.

Today, I worked on adding back in the menu, then trying to get joystick support working properly for when redefining player controls. Tried all day. Never could get it working and so was like fuck it, and just switched joystick controls to defaults with only basic checking and restricted it to player 2. And now it's fully working.

All that's left to add back in is the animated initial menu screen. I'll do that tomorrow maybe.

Pub talk with the bro...

The bartender is truly faceless. Kind of creepy.

oh yea that's just a placeholder for now. I'd love it without the bartender -.-

EDIT: Oh snap, Vecteezy is aweome, it lets you edit the vector art in browser before downloading Just removed the guy, woo!
    Last edited by Yakoob; 30th Nov 2017 at 16:18.

The art work on the guy on the right looks excellent. Your work?

Pssh, need to ask? You should know by now that if it looks excellent, it probably wasn't made by me

Went to a family Christmas party today. Got a bunch of scratchy tickets as a present. One of them had some elaborate "game play", which gave me an idea for a quick game to put together.

As I already made my own level editor for Dragon's Castle, I had the bare bones of what I needed. Just had to create some new image tiles for letters. Yes I know I could just draw the text to screen, but the puzzle game I have in mind will have set levels. So in the level editor you need to see the letters your placing to create the intended words.

Anyways. An early dev shot:

I've named my game "crossTrix" as it's crosswords, with you getting 3 chances at a particular gameplay mechanic. This game in theory as it's relatively simple gameplay wise, and as I have much of the groundwork already in place should not take long to put together.

As I completely suck at art (when it's not converting over someone else's) I might go purposely for a retro look, and maybe re-use some of my earlier graphic tiles and make some changes. To add some challenge + new gained knowledge I'd like to make this completely mouse driven. My level editor already is a mix of keyboard + mouse so shouldn't be overly hard. In theory. Doing everything from scratch (not counting my re-use of dragon's castle code) in C++ adds that extra challenge factor also.

[edit]
    And a few hours later I've got about 75% of what I need to be in the level editor, in. Just needs a way of toggling which letters to give to the player per level:

And this is a quick mockup done on the intended look in the final-ish version:

Last edited by icemann; 17th Dec 2017 at 10:32.

Just noting that I'll be putting out out a call for assistance soon-ish for level makers. Level editor is more or less feature complete, and I'd like to have 100 levels minimum in this one.

So all you'll need to do is create a crossword in the editor I'll supply and just pm me back with the .dat file which the levels are saved as. Its all quite simple really. Only requirements will be:

* Keep it family friendly with the words
    * Stick to Scrabble / Upwords rules with the words. So no use of "the" or "its" and no abbreviated words (eg TV) or slang.
    * Try and make use of every letter of the alphabet when possible. Since the letters given to players will be randomized.

My internets been on and off for the past 2 weeks which is making uploading of the editor quite troublesome. When I'm able to upload I'll give some instruction as the editor is a mix of mouse and keyboard. Once you've done a couple it all starts to make sense more.

I've got 10 levels done so far (5 from me, 5 from the wife). The more I can have in the better.

Full credit (in the games credits and readme) will be given to any who take the time to do any. If need be I'll do them all myself which is fine. Thinking of good words to put in that fit within other words and that make use of unused (as of that point) letters is the time consuming part. So the more I have available, the quicker I can get onto the coding of the actual game itself. Just wanting to have atleast 100 available before I jump into that, as the rules of the game will be super simple.
    Last edited by icemann; 18th Dec 2017 at 08:39.

Ok post 3:

Editor finally uploaded. Stupid faulty internet.

Anyways - Here you go

Directions:

Mouse - Left click to add tiles, right click to remove them.

Keyboard:

C - Change layer (currently toggles between layers 0 and 1)
    D - Delete all tiles on all layers and reset current level back to default size
    k - Save map under a specific name.
    H - Hide/Enable information status bars
    M - Bring up editor menu - From here you can do some other features (eg save as, create new level etc etc).
    R - Reload Level from last saved version
    S - Save currently loaded map
    < - Back one texture in current layer
    > - Forward one texture in current layer
    [ - Decrement Current Level displayed
    ] - Increment Current Level displayed
    Space - Place texture/Object at current mouse position

If you run into any problems let me know either here, or via PM and I'll assist. Editor can be a bit confusing to use at first but will make sense once you get how it works.
    Last edited by icemann; 18th Dec 2017 at 23:54.

Still struggling with my own RPG, but I have a demo on my Patreon.
    So there's that I guess. You guys are free to download and play if you'd like.
    It's about a three/four hour demo so you won't be bored.

https://www.patreon.com/lostlegendta...emursanknights

Put a night into working on the game version of CrossTrix. Games about 75% done to alpha level.

For now just going with keyboard controls. Will try my hand at mouse stuff when it's all fully working.

What's in:
    * Board placement - This was easy as I had this done in the level editor side already, so a quick port over and was good to go.
    * Grid on the right side for the revealed letters to go.
    * Revealing of letters as current player presses to reveal. Revealed letters show up on the board as yellow until either the player goes to reveal another or goes for a re-roll in the hope of getting a better letter. Goes red when finalized.
    * Scoring for letters
    * Switching of who the current player is.

What's to come:
    * Win conditions
    * Slow down the matching up on the game board to color in each one by one.
    * Do "reveal next letter (N)" and "Re-Roll Letter (R)" as actual images to make it all look better. For now I'm just going for implementation over looks.
    * Sound effects
    * Music
    * Menu screen. I always do this last, once the game is fully working / close to fully working.

So far this has all been going super quick, since it's not an over-complicated game. Just something super simple. I have to say that it's been quite fun working on this. Usually you run into scope creep galore when going full indie non remake games dev (or for me anyway), but with this I went in with a pretty damn solid idea of how it all should all flow + having made several games already I had a good handle on what to do. For as much as I suck at art, the stuff I've put together quickly in Photoshop has turned out well I think.

Another night or 2 and this should be all done. Well alpha done anyway. Music always takes time to put together as does sound design + making.

In semi related news, I decided to share all my sale and marketing stats, three months after releasing HEADLINER. Hope it's interesting and useful to someone.

HEADLINER Sale and Marketing Stats, 3 Months After Steam Release

My latest indie game HEADLINER has been out for almost 3 months now. I wanted to share detailed statistics about sales, marketing, geography, platform and gameplay. I hope it’s both interesting and informative to other indie game devs and gamers alike.

Continue Reading ->

Level 10,000 achieved
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing. How does the Dropleaf thing work? Are they licensing the game from you at a fixed price/month? Or do you get paid by number of plays?

Ah nice. A good result.

henke - it's roughly a % of total revenue based on the playtime IIRC. So the more people play your game, the more you make.

Bipolar - Ended up on something like 900 and something sales for the Cubic Bundle I allowed Bipolar to be in. Awaiting to see how much $$$ I get out of it. Even a few hundred would be nice.

CrossTrix - Ever since Dragon's Castle I've been using SDL 1.2 for all my projects, which for the most part has worked out perfect. I understand fully what it does, and how to do what I need. Only trouble with 1.2 is it's lack of some features here and there (eg displaying text to screen without a background color behind it, fading images onto the screen, proper joypad support, proper mouse support etc).

So I took the plunge and attempted to port CrossTrix over SDL 2.0 to gain access to all the features missing from 1.2. And now my project does not work at all, as 2.0 does things completely differently. And the libraries and include files appears to cause some kind of corruption issue in Visual Studio where it says my exe's still running even after I've closed it down. And nope the exe does not appear under processes of task manager when this happens. Was checking out the new tutorials that came with it, all of which are EXCELLENT and showcase the new stuff 2.0 can do, which is great to see. Though that little corruption issue I encountered whilst setting these up in Visual Studio as well. Thinking it might be due to the libraries and include files I'd used I switched them all over to the proper dev release versions.

In the midst of seeing if that has fixed the issue currently. Hope it does as I'd like to have access to the new features. Worst comes to worst though I have 1.2 to fall back on. Will know soon enough when I copy those over to my project and give it a good test through. Odd thing earlier was that the corruption would only happen with the tutorials every now and then, and only if I ran one of them a good 10+ times usually, where as with CrossTrix it would happen after 1 run of it. Odd little bug.

[edit]
    Replacing the libriaries, dll's and include files appears to have fixed the issue. After a fair bit of work I've got the game now working in SDL 2 . One of the fonts I use (blackwolf) looks different in 2.0 for some odd reason. Rest all look the same as always. Will need to find me a new font to replace that one.
    Last edited by icemann; 3rd Jan 2018 at 13:04.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I have a good feeling about this one.

Jackpot!

And after this, those bouncy stilts.

The thrilling and frightening moment when you begin first alpha testing. Preparing for inevitable ego-crushing ( ◕‿◕✿)

Also took a break last night to test a friend's upcoming game, Adventure Delivery Service:

Zelda fans will love the crap out of this!

Been chipping away at CrossTrix. At this stage the game is complete from a features standpoint. Now it comes down to adding in things to make it nicer like sound effects, music and a mouse interface.

As I did all of the art myself it looks alright, but not great. Getting the game over to SDL 2 and it's new rendering system was a real pain.

Now completed words are outlined and score bonuses applied:

Page 80 of 92 FirstFirst ... 303540455055606570757677787980818283848590 ... LastLast