TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner sequels, prequels and spin-offs, oh my!

It's about time. The only movie I've seen in 3D IMAX where the 3D added to the experience was Tron Legacy where they used 2D for all the real world scenes and 3D for all the computer world scenes, which enhanced the feeling of virtual reality when in the computer world.

I tried to watch the first Bladerunner and it's just such a slog. As much as I like cyberpunk, retro future, and the soundtrack, I just found it hard to enjoy even though the world building is interesting. Fundamentally, I couldn't connect to any of the characters.

In contrast I just watched the Scarlet Johansson Ghost in the Shell movie and despite being a Bladerunner knock off, enjoyed it MUCH more. Sure, it's deeply flawed, but the action is more engaging and thrilling, the characters were sympathetic, it's weirder, and the plot made sense.
    Last edited by TannisRoot; 27th Jul 2017 at 10:46.

ZylonBane
    I suppose next you'll be telling us you liked Transformers more than Iron Giant.

Well, we all have different tastes, but I was disappointed by Ghost in the Shell. It's beautiful to look at, and worth a rental just for the visuals, but shallow with superficial writing that ignores the philosophical themes of its namesake. Also, the plot didn't interest me too much, it felt very generic/done before. Likewise the action scenes. I'm getting tired of modern Hollywood action movies, they're all formulaic with superhero-like characters and the action scenes are so choreographed and so amped up to the level of sillyness, that they don't create any excitement or tension anymore.
    Last edited by heywood; 27th Jul 2017 at 11:29.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I'm in the same boat as Tannis, and it's a boat called the SS What's The Big Deal With Blade Runner Anyway. Sure, it's a great-looking movie. Even today, 35 years after release, it still looks gorgeous. And it does have some good scenes, like the Voight-Kampff test, and the "tears in the rain" bit, I guess. But besides that? It's pretty much a snoozefest.

For me Blade Runner is about the atmosphere, perhaps what you call world building. The story is a bit hard to understand on first watching, eg the unicorn thing completely went over my head until I read about it later (and saw the director's cut). But even with that scenes are very tense, almost exclusively so. So I don't get the boredom. But then I have similar feelings for 2001 - Odyssee in Space.
    The only thing I'd change about BR is the obviously reshot dove release into a sun lit sky. Why Scott didn't fix this when he had the chance is beyond me.

I'm with Kolya. Atmosphere and a compelling world goes a long way for me, and in those respects Bladerunner is more or less unmatched.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yeah I'm in the same boat as Tannis, and it's a boat called the SS What's The Big Deal With Blade Runner Anyway.
    I hope there is room on that boat for me. I can bring my own life jacket.

The slower, more deliberate pacing of Blade Runner helps me get immersed into the setting and the mood of the film. It allows me to notice and appreciate the details of the sets. The acting has more nuance, and lines are delivered to greater effect. And it gives me some time and head space to think about the symbolism and philosophical themes. Another thing the pacing does for me is that it seems to enhance the tension of the tense scenes.

I love 2001 as well. I even like Star Trek: The Motion Picture (mostly), The Andromeda Strain, and Solaris. All snooze fests according to my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    ...and Solaris.
    And Stalker since we're talking about Tarkovsky's films. That one is really is a bit hard to get the first time, much more so than the comparatively spectacular Blade Runner. But on consecutive watching you can take in the cinematography and the story so much better.
    That draisine scene and the audio with must be one of the best scenes I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    IMAX is moving away from 3D. And Blade Runner 2049 will be shown in 2-D exclusively.

http://www.thewrap.com/imax-moving-a...qaa9uBs.reddit
    Thank goodness for small blessings, like this stupid 3D/ layered 2D fad going away. That stuff would cause me some fairly strong eye pain.

Not quite sure that makes up for Hollywood continuing to shit up old classics with their complete incompetence at writing.

I tried to watch the first Bladerunner and it's just such a slog. As much as I like cyberpunk, retro future, and the soundtrack, I just found it hard to enjoy even though the world building is interesting. Fundamentally, I couldn't connect to any of the characters.
    Oddly enough I felt the same way about the movie to some extent. I still thought the first one was great but that's because I thought the storyline made up somewhat for the lack of interesting characters.

Example that popped into my mind is Thief: there's some similarities between TTLG classics and cult-classic sci-fi flicks like Bladerunner because both do an outstanding job of world-building and telling aspects of the story without being heavy-handed.....and Deus Ex is another example that succeeded based on setting without having any exceptionally interesting characters (besides one great villain).

Well, it's out and getting good reviews? Anybody seen it yet?

Have you not looked in the "What have you watched lately?" thread? Much talk about it.

Yes. There's a bunch of discussion about it over in "What have you watched...". IMO it's really good, but could've stood to be trimmed a fair amount. It bombed, by the way. I think that's really unfortunate, but not entirely surprising.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'll go see it over the weekend or next week, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Have you not looked in the "What have you watched lately?" thread? Much talk about it.
    Yeah well why are you posting about it in the megathread when we have a perfectly fine dedicated thread for it? Now all that discussion is lost... like tears in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Yes. There's a bunch of discussion about it over in "What have you watched...". IMO it's really good, but could've stood to be trimmed a fair amount. It bombed, by the way. I think that's really unfortunate, but not entirely surprising.
    Shame that. I didn't think it was as good as the original as it goes off in a different direction (with the original being more of a replicant hunt). This one was still good, though it has quite a few bits where not much is happening. And not in a David Lynch kinda way.

I found K/Joe's relationship with his holo-girlfriend more interesting than the main plot. I found that by the end I felt quite blank from trying to take everything in. Certainly the kind of movie you need to watch a few times to fully get it all. The 3 youtube short story films are necessary viewing also.

I don't usually follow that megathread since the majority of discussion is TV series I don't watch, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

I'm surprised it bombed, the critical reviews I saw were really positive.

Critic scores have very little correlation with commercial success in films.

I really liked it. I think as a sequel it pretty much nails it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Critic scores have very little correlation with commercial success in films.
    A lot of it is very subjective anyway, as one persons good film is another's terrible. I quite liked the films "Unfriended" and "Labyrinth" and yet many others hated them. All down to your own likes and dislikes.

Saw this tonight. Not going to bother tracking down the posts in the megathread. If this one persists from 2011 I'm going to use it.

I enjoyed Blade Runner, but I have never been as obsessed with it as many other people. If I were, I'm sure I would go and pick out a few things here and there that were nitpicky or messed with continuity or something... But I'm not, and It's the only movie I've ever called flawless.

Maybe it's my style, since I like the slow burn, but I found nothing wrong with the pace of this movie. It managed to just smoulder the whole way through an keep the the atmosphere very tense. I haven't watched Blade Runner in probably 10 years, which might be the perfect way to enjoy this movie. Keep the flaws and tropes of the original a distant faded memory before watching this and just suck it all in. I expected to not like this movie, and it's kept me up all night thinking about it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Also just came back from seeing it. Yeah, it's good. Great visuals and soundtrack. I agree with icemann that K and Joi's story might've been the most interesting part. Tho the uncovering of K's past was gripping as well. I thought the actress who played Luv was great too. Sad to say, but I kinda though Deckard was a bit of a letdown. Whenever he, or Wallace for that matter, were onscreen the movie started to drag a bit.

I'm gonna have to watch it again to see how I really feel about it. At the moment it's not really eliciting any major emotional responses from me. Which either means it wasn't that great, or the movie itself is some kinda Voight-Kampf test and I've just been identified as a replicant! Oh no, beep boop, I've been found out!

Southquarter.com/fms
    I've seen it twice now, and plan to see it again before it leaves the theater. Did you really not feel anything when K found the horse in the oven, or when his girlfriend was "killed" by Luv, or when Deckard finally meets his daughter? I though those were some fairly intense and emotional moments, for me at least.

I've seen it twice so far, and I'm trying to resist the urge to see it again versus buy some food :P

EDIT: Also, finished the Westwood game finally, I've owned it for years. It's got some usual "how was I supposed to figure THAT out" things traditional point & click adventures are notorious for, but overall it's pretty good.

I've never seen the original movie start to finish. The Blade Runner game was my first look into the universe. I was impressed by the mood and visual themes a game from 1997 could present.

As for 2049, there's one burning question I haven't seen any answers to yet: Where did Deckard's dog end up???