TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: T2 mission : "Anna to the rescue" 14/07/2011 updated to v0.2

cardia1 and Independent Thief,

Thanx for this very nice mission.
    Well done!

You´re welcome karstenpontoppi

People i´ve updated this mission to v0.2, the only changes was the spoiler that i added to this mission.
    Last edited by Cardia; 15th Jul 2011 at 09:14.

I have a small problem,which at any other time would not be a problem...

My usual Laptop has died and I am using a hybrid of an old laptop(bottom-half) keyboard,with an external monitor,through desperation....so things are not as expected.

I have the monitor set up at full brightness but it is still way too dark...Also the gamma slider in-game does not work and no matter where it is slid,nothing happens.It may be that as I am on vista this is the cause,but I hesitate to install the tafferpatcher at this point as ,at least the game is running fine,so dont want to poke the bear while it is sleeping

so firstly my question is....at the start there is a fallen tree at the end of the village with a talisman statue which lights up,and a trapdoor below....where is that talisman...I have searched the village but its so dark,I only just managed to get out of each building,by looking at the ceilings...haha

Please dont ask me to stop playing if its too dark,and I am using a white stick ....I am desparate for Thief...always was always will be

lol..., buy a new monitor, carefull if you buy in second hand, they might not be well calibrated. or make sure you don´t have a nearby window that lets the sunlight iluminate the monitor. preferably play this one at night.

Quote Originally Posted by cardia1 View Post
    lol..., buy a new monitor, carefull if you buy in second hand, they might not be well calibrated. or make sure you don´t have a nearby window that lets the sunlight iluminate the monitor. preferably play this one at night.
    yes I can only play in complete darkness
    sorry cant afford to get a new Monitor,I have a pick of three old ones here,and this is the best of the muck-pile

so for now can anyone else answer my question please..........
    I just need to know where the talisman is

Quote Originally Posted by JonesCrusher View Post
    yes I can only play in complete darkness
    sorry cant afford to get a new Monitor,I have a pick of three old ones here,and this is the best of the muck-pile

so for now can anyone else answer my question please..........
    I just need to know where the talisman is
    ahhh, the talisman:very easy to find, seek the elder pagan house(the one with the fireplace in the middle), there´s a footlocker nearby that contains the talisman

Your monitor is really dark in a way that you can´t even find the obvious, i also had a dark monitor wich i bought in second hand only for 25 euros, so i bought a new one analogic in new conditions, its hard to find new analogic monitors nowadays, i think they are no longer produced, so in future we can only count with Leds, plasmas and God knows what else. The analogic monitors are still be the best concerning the colors and image definition.
    Last edited by Cardia; 15th Jul 2011 at 14:23.

Quote Originally Posted by cardia1 View Post
    ahhh, the talisman:very easy to find, seek the elder pagan house(the one with the fireplace in the middle), there´s a footlocker nearby that contains the talisman

Your monitor is really dark in a way that you can´t even find the obvious, i also had a dark monitor wich i bought in second hand only for 25 euros, so i bought a new one analogic in new conditions, its hard to find new analogic monitors nowadays, i think they are no longer produced, so in future we can only count with Leds, plasmas and God knows what else. The analogic monitors are still be the best concerning the colors and image definition.
    Thanks for the hint,

I think the monitor is probably fine its a Dell E197FP...just the way its set up with an old laptop bottom(without a screen atatched)....*I dont know of any other reason why the gamma slider IN GAME will not work when moved,but maybe this set-up I have goin on is the cause.

JonesCrusher: Try reducing the gamma setting in cam.cfg (lower = brighter).

Quote Originally Posted by ffox View Post
    JonesCrusher: Try reducing the gamma setting in cam.cfg (lower = brighter).
    Thanks for the tip ffox,I will try that,and report back later

just reporting in.

ok I went to the gamma line in the Cam crf file and it was on 0.89999999992.I am presuming its that low as my slider in game is fully to the right with no difference....

I have then gone in and changed the setting.... I tried a few from 10.3 all the way down to 0.1 and there is NO change at all in game...lol

I guess I will have to soldier on ,till I win the lottery and buy a new rig
    Last edited by JonesCrusher; 15th Jul 2011 at 18:51.

JonesCrusher, try looking for monitors in second hand in your city, in my city i know a store that sells monitors in second hand cheap and with good calibration. from 20 to 25 or 30 euros.

Quote Originally Posted by JonesCrusher View Post
    I went to the gamma line in the Cam crf file and it was on 0.89999999992.
    That's dark. I've just looked at my cam.cfg gamma - 0.5499999523 with the slider 7/8 bright. Odd that neither your slider nor amending the setting will work.

That's dark. I've just looked at my cam.cfg gamma - 0.5499999523 with the slider 7/8 bright. Odd that neither your slider nor amending the setting will work.
    yeah its really weird..and the actual monitor if set from the menu is at the moment on full brightness (100%)too and its still too dark for even normal use..

I also looked in the control panel for the monitor settings with the gamma controls in it...fiddled around with that and got it much brighter...saved the settings when asked...came out of the control panel and it was just the same,lol...
    it does not want to save any settings....Heh...it MUST be the way its not an original part of this laptop as the original screen has been removed and this one is just plugged into the monitor lead (Pin connection)

yes I am going to have to get enough together for another monitor...and will have to sacrifice a few packets of Midget-Gems for a couple of weeks...my only vice

I may have got this wrong but I think it's the PC at fault, not the monitor.

You can't change the gamma in the PC and the monitor is showing what the PC has told it to show - dark.

My guess is something wrong with the basic PC software setup.

I may have got this wrong but I think it's the PC at fault, not the monitor.

You can't change the gamma in the PC and the monitor is showing what the PC has told it to show - dark.

My guess is something wrong with the basic PC software setup.
    Yup I think you're right ffox...

although yesterday after fiddling around I did get thief to play much brighter...I could for about half an hour just before I got the usual "Thief2 has stopped responding" message,and have to quit and restart...but when I did restart it was all back to darkness...and no matter what I did it never brightened again
    so I have had it for now and will just save up and buy a new lappy

thanks for all your support!!.....I appreciated it

hi, it is in front of the pyramid, I turned on the 4 buttons in order: NSWE but nothing happens, I go up to the top of the light source and then I blocco.Qualè the right way?: Grr:

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    Can someone explain the painting puzzle to me -- "To spell the words in the right order" is about as gibberish as you can get, as are the phrases on the paintings. Two of them start with I... Trying to make a coherent sentence out of them doesn't work (not that you can) -- it doesn't seem to be a quote from any readable in the level...

Or am I just having a language translation issues? OR is this some pop culture quote I'm unaware of?

I have the feeling when you tell me I'm going to feel like a right proper twit.

Right now I'm just randomly trying them in different orders... Which isn't working either it seems.

-- nevermind --

Found it -- no idea WHY it's that order... but finally got past it.

If you frob the statue near the exit you will hear the correct sequence played out.

LOVED this mission! Easily goes into my Top 20.

The whole temple area is just so full of dread, while also stunningly beautiful.

My 'virgin' no-reloads game went on for quite some time. I found no keys for the haunt-treasure archs, so I avoided opening them at the time. I got the key from beyond the sliding skull puzzle, I found several loot places (once I undestood that every grating is suspicious (might be frobbable), there are tiny switches in many places and that you should LOOK UP everywhere), got the Sleeper and found the Keeper amulet, but eventually (clumsily!) got the painting sequence wrong, which ate my last reamining health shield.

Upon reload, I took on the haunt-treasure situation the hard way. That "combat" knife REALLY sucks for Haunt-fighting due to the crappy range (it´s pretty good for rapid-stabbing Haunt archers, though!) so I made use of the pedestal room with two gates. With the gate next to the gas arrow traps corridor closed, I lured a Haunt into the room, ran around it and out of the room, hitting the switch on the way out. HA! Once it had calmed down, I approached the room from the gas trap corridor (by now, the traps were out of arrows so I had no problem sneaking there), sneaked in and backstabbed the Haunt. Then I hid the body, made the room ready for the next victim, rinse and repeat. Got lucky with the last Haunt, because it ended up facing a wall inside its "cell", so I could just backstab it there.

I later found one of the keys (the one in the room with the two gates) that opens the front barrier. I haven´t seen the other key.

I couldn´t quite finish the mission on my own, because I found only 4060 of the required 4200 loot (a haul I am quite proud of anyway) The spoilers document showed me the way to the two secret loot places I had missed. I needed one of them to get enough. Finished the mission, 390 loot short of the maximum. I am going back to try to find some more before I look at a lootlist.

BTW, I thought it was hilarious that the BIG BAD guy had been hyped up so much, and then he turned out to be just some wannabe thief/thug, who couldn´t even take three arrows to his head while alerted.

Another BTW: Is Anna part mermaid, or a droid, or does she have diving gear on? She can breathe underwater...

And a question: in the area with the sliding skulls puzzle, there are two brown doors (one on each end of the area) that clearly have at least a small room behind them. Can these doors be opened, or are they just more red herrings?
    Last edited by jiansonz; 20th Jul 2011 at 12:52.

Many thanks for playing this one Jiansonz, and many thanks for your most welcome compliments . About Anna, she is a mechanist agent who normally gets the task to fufill hardest missions since she´s the best agent that the mechanist have, Anna is geared with the usual mechanist weaponry, and in this mission she wears a diving helmet, as you can see in her picture when she grabs the Mayor´s daughter, as for the sliding skull puzzle, those beige doors hold nothing but empty rooms behind. it was only design for ahestic and atmospheric reasons, this room was a result of inspiration that came from the album "closer" by Plastikman, here´s some dark tracks example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wJHvOaJdi0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6UUbffL4Ck

Not enough disc space???

What's up with that??

I can quicksave, but I can't save down the list

That's gotta be a 1st... I have over 350Gb of space on my drive...

What usually fixes that is deleting some files from your "allsaves" folder.

What to do, what to do?

I don't get what to do at the pyramid with the water "bubbles" going up. I swam up them, but I stop 3/4 way up. I see the N,E,S,W symbols and found the 4 buttons in the walls, but I don't get what to do here

Was I supposed to go up the fallen tree outside...first? Can't get out of that hole now. Do I have to restart?

No, if you pushed the right buttons, go DOWN the "bubbles" move around a bit to get really down there, then start the rest of the game ... a lot is ahead of you

Last edited by Gloria Creep; 20th Aug 2011 at 23:16.
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte6 View Post
    What's up with that??

I can quicksave, but I can't save down the list

That's gotta be a 1st... I have over 350Gb of space on my drive...

I just learned this also: After playing each mission, get to the original Thief 1 or Thief 2 folder in Darkloader and insert the "install only" button which will show up on your screen, down below.
    It works!
    Thanks Nightshifter, for showing me this option

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Acolyte6 - there should be a readable on the ground in that area which gives a big clue.
    Or you could read the first 5 posts on the previous page.

Ummm

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria Creep View Post
    No, if you pushed the right buttons, go DOWN the "bubbles" move around a bit to get really down there, then start the rest of the game ... a lot is ahead of you

What are the right buttons?

Well thank you guys for this truly excellent mission - just so entertaining and engrossing.

But I seem to have a problem with the grate that closes by the ladder down to the haunt surpise room. I've been through that twice with no problems, getting in and back out with grates opening and closing as they should. But this last time, the grate closed around me and I had to move down through it and no matter what I do, I can't get it to open again. It worked fine the other times but going back looking for loot it just doesn't want to know.

Any ideas?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast