TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: T2 Campaign: Heretic 06-21-2011

T2 Campaign: Heretic 06-21-2011

It's time to take a stroll down memory lane and re-live one of the Golden Oldies: Heretic. It's a 3-mission campaign that gives the player a sampling of some of Heretic's missions. A German version has been included, thanks to zappen.

Grab the file here.

There's an intro movie and a movie at the end, both of which tie up the whole story.

The beta-test on this thing was brutal to say the least. If it had not have been for the help of Sensut and ffox, I probably would have tossed this thing into the garbage can. Towards the end, I struggled with the flu. After the hundredth problem with objectives gone sideways, I told Nickie (one of the testers) that I was considering scrapping it. I was sick physically and mentally. I'd had it, and I think most of the team were sick of going through it over and over. Nickie gave me some encouragement and you now have it in your hands. Enjoy.

Terry

Note: There is an updated NewDark version of this mission. The thread for it can be found here.
    Last edited by Ricebug; 27th Feb 2014 at 00:04.

Good news.
    Grabbing it now.

Can you explain how it can be both "new" and a "golden oldie" at the same time. I'm afraid I don't know/recall what "Heretic" means if it's something old. (Would it be an author or a character or a mission?) The only hit for Heretic on Thiefmissions is a 2006 mission called Heretics & Pagans, and since I think that's unrelated, my only guess is either it's part of your fiction or it's an old mission for you building the thing, but new for us.

Or is it like a classic movie or novel or something like that? I guess that's the more obvious meaning.

Edit: Or the id video game.
    Sorry don't know why that slipped my mind.

Great News, Ricebug! I always like your missions - & this one is based on my favourite Doom clone (ok, not great graphics, but very imaginative, with excellent gameplay & level design).

Well done getting through all those difficulties: now that's dedication! And additional thanx to nickie for helping you 'across the line'.

(Currently moving house, so this - & other new releases - will have to wait a bit, but I definitely won't miss it!)

demagogue - pretty sure it was Bethesda.

You must mean Raven Software, right?

Congrats on the release, Terry.

Oops You're right, Haplo!
    Bethesda did the Terminator games (Future Shock & Skynet) - so I don't know how I mixed those up. Similar graphics standard?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Very cool, Heretic (and Hexen) are some of my favorite old school games. I actually attempted to make Winnowing Hall once in dromed, didn't get very far though...

Anyway, a mirror:

Heretic Campaign (Southquarter)

I just DL'd and started playing, and I have a question - I picked up 5 "Flash Arrows" out of a chest, and naturally out of habit put my weapon away. Now I can't find them. What arrows did they replace exactly? I can't seem to redraw them out again. I don't need them (I hope) to complete the mission, but I was curious what they did.

Clearinghouse
    Congrats, Ricebug! Downloading.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Congrats, Terry! Looking forward to this. Euphrosyne, look in your bindings for Alt Weapon (I think).

Congrats on the release, Ricebug!

Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    I just DL'd and started playing, and I have a question - I picked up 5 "Flash Arrows" out of a chest, and naturally out of habit put my weapon away. Now I can't find them. What arrows did they replace exactly? I can't seem to redraw them out again. I don't need them (I hope) to complete the mission, but I was curious what they did.
    Usually with custom weapons you need to use your "next/previous weapon" keys to get them. Scrolling with the mouse won't pull them up.

Ah, that did it. I used to play MMO's so I have a Razer Naga with the 12 buttons on the side, and it works AMAZING for Thief, I can't belive I ever taffed without one. Each of the 12 is assigned to a weapon and the remaining 2 lockpicks, so that's why I couldn't find the flash arrows.

Ok, I just finished your campaign (yay insomnia!). I've never played the original Heretic, but from what you made it seemed to fit well into Thief. I actually did quite well and found all the secrets and all but 30 loot (Mission 3 loot, see below), and it was a nice change of pace from the last FM I played with guards every time you turned around to being able to breathe between dodging guards. I noticed a few things though - some minor errors, some things that bothered me, and some questions that maybe you can clear up.

Mission 1 - The read the diary objective seems redundant if you watched the introduction move (nice job on the movie btw). I suppose that's there for the skippers, but it made me raise an eyebrow.

Mission 1 - Found a backwards torch in the docks in the room with the chest. Not a huge deal, doesn't hurt anything.

Mission 2 - AI oddities (that caused ghost fails and consequently the first time it happened causing me to have to restart the mission). For some strange reason the mechbot in the adjacent room to the dust zombies (Dustbies) in the large open prison-like room will run over and start attacking them randomly, drawing the attention of everyone in an 80 mile radius. Annoying, but not game breaking.

Mission 2 - (Possible Spoiler) The large stained glass window in the room with the fast moving pool of water has a hole beneath it making me think its a door, but for the life of me I could not figure out how to open it, is there a way to do so?

Mission 2 - I never understood the purpose of the teleporter in the center of the first room with the 4 large pillars and the 2 patrolling guards, was this a nod back to the non-functioning teleporter in Mission 1?

Mission 3 Could not find the final 30 loot anywhere. My only guess was it was possible that the fancy plates full of doughnuts which come out to around that much loot (I think?) were accidentally counted in the total, but I could just have not found it.

Overall, I enjoyed the first 2 missions, but personally, I absolutely hated the 3rd mission. I don't take enjoyment going around killing, justified or otherwise. Again, my personal prefrence. Secondly, I did not like the layout, so many long stretches of just walking to kill the next pirate and move on, it got tedious, at times I got lost, and it got boring. Lastly, the creatures used in the map made absolutely no sense to me - Pagan creatures (but no pagans), hammer haunts, city watch and pirates? It just didn't make a lick of sense to me. I know there were city watch in the other 2 missions, and pagans (or beggars) and pagan creatures in Mission 2, but in that mission, they attacked the mechanists, now suddenly they are on the same side?

I also wasn't a fan of the very large stairs that were in a word "clunky" to use because they were too large, but they were able to be ran up in any case, and stairs are a pain in the butt to make so I can't begrudge it too much.

While I played the missions I hated the secrets that weren't secrets, but really clever traps that hid monsters. It was something new I'd never seen, and I liked the concept even if I hated finding them

I think in the end, you did a nice job. It was a relatively fun campaign, and I got a laugh out of the end cutscene, and enjoyed watching both the first and last. I'm really glad you decided to finish this hell and high water be damned, it was fun and I would play it again.

Awesome looking mission. Congrats

But I have a problem. I picked up a few arrows (broadheads), and I found this spider I need to kill. But those arrows don't work. The water arrows work fine, but when I click on attack with the others nothing happens

bikerdude
    Is there a required codec for the briefing video as had no sound..

Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    Ok, I just finished your campaign (yay insomnia!). I've never played the original Heretic, but from what you made it seemed to fit well into Thief...

I did not like the layout, so many long stretches of just walking to kill the next pirate and move on, it got tedious, at times I got lost, and it got boring...

I also wasn't a fan of the very large stairs that were in a word "clunky" to use because they were too large, but they were able to be ran up in any case, and stairs are a pain in the butt to make so I can't begrudge it too much...
    Heretic was a shooter. All you did was run around and kill things and pick up stuff that was used to kill more things (and to stay alive from the things were trying to kill you). After the bare bones levels were built and textured, I roamed the halls and rooms, asking, "What will the player find to do?" I had recently played Saturnine's Rose Cottage, and remembered that model ship. A story developed from there.

In keeping with the original game's flow, I developed a "kill" theme. Bad guys. Why were they bad? Players like to have a REASON for killing, not just do it out of gratuity. More back story. Garrett's got a girlfriend. You go from there. Making the thing into a loot hunt would've been terribly boring.

As far as the stairs, meticulous detail was paid in re-creating the levels just as the originals were made. Minor adjustments were made here and there. Mission 3 was a friggin' nightmare to create--only 20 percent of the brushes are straight; everything else is angled. The grid snap was turned off to make all those stairs just like the original. I chose it because it seemed "interesting."

Glad you liked it. I take all comments from the community to try and make my missions better. No doubt, there will be a version 2 in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by edudrekib View Post
    Is there a required codec for the briefing video as had no sound..
    Go to your MOVIES folder and double-click one of the .avi files. Windows Media Player (if that's your default player) should play it just fine. If it plays (but not in Thief), you're missing the Indeo 5.x codec that shipped with the game. See if LGVID.AX is in your Thief 2 directory.

Congrats on the release.

Since you brought some Heretic into Thief, here is something that might interest you (and others) that is somewhat related, a Thief based Heretic wad; http://taw.duke4.net/2009/08/heretic/thief/

Thanks Ricebug! Good work! I guess you also should combine Strife missions into one campaign and maybe make other fm resembling old games like Duke Nukem 3D, Redneck Rampage, Blood or Shadow Warrior.

Congratulations on the release Ricebug and my apologies for not finishing Mission 3 final beta in time. Having a mother who's constantly watching how much electricity my laptop is using does not give me as much time as I'd like!

did anyone else have a issue where when you read anything in game ,it takes a bit longer to get back into game?

also where is south and west gem?

and on last mission how do i get to boat? i searched that whole map and saw one area i was not able to get to as i was not able to find a way to open that big gate mid way through map

and on mission 1 how do i get exit key?

Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    You must mean Raven Software, right?
    Well at least id was the publisher, so I guess I stumbled into being half right. :shrugs:

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    did anyone else have a issue where when you read anything in game ,it takes a bit longer to get back into game?
    This never came up during testing. I used to have this problem when I had the wrong settings in my widescreen patch and ddfix.

where is south and west gem?
    Each gem is locked up in an identical chest. Four chests for four gems.

On last mission how do i get to boat? i searched that whole map and saw one area i was not able to get to as i was not able to find a way to open that big gate mid way through map
    You can't get to the boat until you've completed all your other objectives.

On mission 1 how do i get exit key?
    You can't get this key until you've completed your other objectives. Once you do, return to the gate located near the Sidhe statue (the blue creature holding the staff).

A Little Help For Mission 3

Just a little note for mission 3. As you kill the mercenaries (pirates), type an X on your map for each one as you go. This will help you keep track of how many are left so you're not aimlessly wandering around.

There are 10 pirates to kill.

ok how to open that big gate ive killed 9 pirates only one left but he is behind that gate and i cant open it

@ trudnicki: Shoot him?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast