TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Grimrock: 2.5D dungeon-crawling game

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    242 this game isn't japanese just fyi

hth

Really? News for me. But seriously, you can't deny that Japanese are kings of surhors games.

Taking a break
    Maybe once they grow up out of putting cameras on the ceilings.

They have, Koki, and that's part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    you can't deny that Japanese are kings of surhors games.
    Yes I can. A bunch of Swedes have created more scares for me than any Jap in... gosh, the better part of a decade, now. The Japanese survival horror scene has, along with the rest of the Japanese gaming industry, completely gone and disappeared up its own asshole. I mean, what's the last big Japanese survival horror game to come out? And I mean pure survival horror, not this action-horror stuff that started with RE4.

Hell, you know, I usually disagree with 90% of what Yahtzee has to say on general principle but he's absolutely on the money here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...d-Horror-Games

Go watch Jacob's Ladder already.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Yes I can. A bunch of Swedes have created more scares for me than any Jap in... gosh, the better part of a decade, now.
    Yeah.

Yeah, but my bunch isn't creatively bankrupt. <3

Offtopic.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    The Japanese survival horror scene has, along with the rest of the Japanese gaming industry, completely gone and disappeared up its own asshole. I mean, what's the last big Japanese survival horror game to come out? And I mean pure survival horror, not this action-horror stuff that started with RE4.
    I don't consider RE horror at all, and I absolutely don't see how RE1/2/3 is more horror than RE4/5, they are about equally creepy at parts , but definitely not scary enough to be called horror games. RE4 is EXCELLENT survival action/adventure, and RE1/2/3 are nice survival adventure/action. Speaking of Japanese horror games I meant SH1/2/3/4, Fatal Frame 1/2/3/4, and of course the pinnacle of surhors - Siren1/2. Still noone beat them in terms of horror.

I loved the Penumbras, but in all honesty they are far away from horror and quality of aforementioned games.

Once again you and reality are at odds. PS1-era Resident Evil is the definition of survival horror, and, indeed, codified a lot of the characteristics of the genre as well as invented the term 'survival horror.' So let me break it down for you, again. I realize English isn't your first language or indeed probably not even your fifth, so I'll keep it really, really simple for you, so that any failure to get through to you is because you have your head firmly wedged up your ass. Because lord I am tired of explaining this to you. So please, do try to keep up this time.

Here are the major characteristics of survival horror:

Scarce resources. Ammo and health are difficult to come by, and you need to make every shot count.

Inventory management. You can only carry so much, so you have to know what to bring while leaving some room for new, important items.

Difficult combat. Your enemies are difficult to bring down.

Strong horror theme. Duh. Note that this is NOT meant to be subjective, i.e. how scary you found it. It refers more to scary situations with scary monsters in a way that increases tension. Alone this doesn't qualify; but it's absolutely essential in conjunction with the others.

Noticeable lack of NPCs. It's just you and the monsters for most of the game.

Puzzle-solving. Not every surhor has this, but it's in enough of them that it's worthy of mention.

Individualized enemy encounters. You're often facing no more than a few monsters at a time.

Resident Evil hits all those notes. When Silent Hill first came out, it drew a LOT of comparisons to Resident Evil because they both featured the same controls. The only real difference, mechanics-wise, was that Silent Hill didn't use pre-rendered environments like RE did.

Here are some things that survival horror is NOT defined by:

How scary you found it. Resident Evil isn't scary like Silent Hill, but it's still survival horror. Fatal Frame put me to sleep. It's still survival horror. Doom 3 had scary bits. It's not survival horror.

Country of origin. Japan made good survival horrors back in the day, yes, but the entire Japanese games industry is in decline, and a decent survival horror in the classic mode coming out of Japan is very, very rare, nowadays, in part because they tend to be more action-focused now.

Survival horror is a genre, it's not just some label to be slapped on anything remotely scary. There are real, quantifiable characteristics to it, which I have just described. So, yes, Resident Evil is survival horror, and yes, your opinion doesn't matter.
    Last edited by dethtoll; 28th Apr 2012 at 17:23. Reason: emphasis for easier reading

Taking a break
    ^ And that's why SS2 is best survival horror

The Alchemist
    Hokay, so, I beat the game on Normal, and then decided to do another playthrough on hard to find all the treasure and secrets as well. I made a custom party, two human fighters up front, one focusing on the sword and one on the mace. The back row are mages, two insectoids, one Ice/Fire and one Air/Earth. The game is too easy now. I'm already on level 5 and I've been able to find every secret and treasure thusfar (I know the number of secrets per level, and which levels have a treasure.) Is it the party set up or is it just about knowing the dungeons I dunno. Before, Id be starving a lot, now I have 3 sacks full of food, so I have plenty of time to spend looking for the secrets. *Shrug* Still fun, anyway. At least until they release the editor.

In case you want that info too:

Level 1: (3 Secrets)

Level 2: (6 Secrets - 1 Treasure)

Level 3: (9 Secrets - 1 Treasure - 2 Toorum's)

Level 4:(7 Secrets - 1 Toorum's)

Level 5:(7 Secrets - 2 Toorum's)

Level 6: (12 Secrets - 2 Treasure - 2 Toorum's)

Level 7:(9 Secrets - 1 Toorum's)

Level 8:(6 Secrets - 1 Treasure - 1 Toorum's)

Level 9:(4 Secrets - 1 Toorum's)

Level 10:(6 Secrets - 6 Toorum's)

Level 11:(1 Treasure)

Level 12:(Fucking nothing)

Level 13:(2 Secrets - 1 Treasure)

I used a fighter-monk on my first playthrough (yeah, I wasn't thinking) and it owned everything, as did my crossbow-rogue, so I'm going with 2 rogue-monks, a crossbow-rogue and a mage on my second playthrough. I'd go with 2 archers but I can't remember if there are enough bows to go around. I suppose I could try a back-row rogue-assassin instead. I need someone with a free torch-hand anyway.

Classical Master 2008
    I finished it today, on Old School / Normal. Surprisingly solid game, and a great value for the price they were asking for it. After playing, I immediately started a new run in Toorum mode (I had to consult a game guide to realise you could do that), and it's a new kind of fun and challenge. Toorum is a custom class by himself (Ranger), with good melee abailities and some spellcasting. He is also incredibly fast, which makes the one PC only limit a lot less problematic than I thought. And of course, since there are no weak characters in the party, there is less reloading, and all the XP goes to one person.

El Shagmeister

So after putting Skyrim to rest after 225 hours of play (damn...) I decided to dive into a more focused and straightforward fantasy game. So LoG fits the bill just right.

Just started playing level 3. Really enjoying the game, though I agree the magic system being limited and borked. Regardless, it's a not-too-big quibble for me, though probably not having the nostalgia for having played games like DM or EotB helps.

Thief-like mission using LoG editor?

Do you suppose that it's possible talented designers/programmers could implement a method of creating a very "Thief" like experience using the LoG editor? It seems to have the right atmosphere. Perhaps someone should shed some more light on this.

Why the fuck would you want that?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

The Grimrock level editor is still in development, sunshine.

The Alchemist
    Ok, finished my hardcore run, all secrets found, all treasures etc.

Now to do a Toorum run. Question... axes or swords? I saw a video of lvl 50 sword skill + toorums double attack speed + speed potion = ridiculousness.

El Shagmeister

w00t!

Just reached level 6!

Man, those crabs in level 5 can go eat a dick coated in dog shit.....grrr.

Having a ball!

I'm a bit annoyed by the combat and how easy it is (at least up to level 6) to lure opponents to a closeable gate, lower the gate, raise it, hit them, lower the gate, rinse and repeat. It works wonders, but it's not particularly interesting gameplay. The only alternative I see is running backwards and in circles, which isn't much more fun. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but it's difficult to see it as that if it helps me through fights that I'd otherwise lose.

The Alchemist
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I'm a bit annoyed by the combat and how easy it is (at least up to level 6) to lure opponents to a closeable gate, lower the gate, raise it, hit them, lower the gate, rinse and repeat. It works wonders, but it's not particularly interesting gameplay. The only alternative I see is running backwards and in circles, which isn't much more fun. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but it's difficult to see it as that if it helps me through fights that I'd otherwise lose.
    I did this my first playthrough... however playing again on Hard I never found the need to... I'm used to the combat now so instead of having to resort to such tricks I know how to crowd control and kite. Also my second playthrough in hard was with two mages. One always had ice ready to freeze stronger enemies to allow me to plow through the others. Note that you can generally attack, sidestep, flank enemies a lot quicker than they can turn around to hit you. It's more a matter of "if I dont do this ill die/run out of mana" and not so much "is this how the game is meant to be played?". Protip: you just suck still. I do however wish that more units could open doors (there are units that open doors... oh yes... wait till you try this little trick with them bastards. :|)

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    It's impossible to play the game properly(you and the enemy just stand on your squares and spam attacks) because the enemies are just so damn accurate/strong that neither evasion nor protection will save your ass. I don't know, maybe if you'd REALLY stack the two but then again you could just find a 2x2 space and be able to kill every enemy in the game without being hit once so why bother.

That's why playing solo as Toorum is the only way to enjoy this game.

El Shagmeister

Currently in level 7!

Man, this is fun, though I have to agree that the magic system does suck some, having to invest the required skill points to unlock magic of a certain area, plus finding the scroll with the correct runes to cast it (or stumble on the spell by clicking randomly).

Still awesome, though. Wheeee!

Taking a break
    You can cast the spells without finding the scrolls if you know the combination(i.e. from previous playthrough or checking the nice guide at Gamebanshee)

El Shagmeister

Shame you still need to reach a particular level in a particular field of magic to learn -one- more spell to cast in said field. Oh well...details, nothing that breaks the game's fun