TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 38 of 286 FirstFirst ... 38131823283334353637383940414243485358636873788388138 ... LastLast

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Mirror's Edge.

Very pretty.

I suck at this.

Playing Eye of The Beholder 1. After playing Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 I now properly understand the fine art of rerolling character stats till their somewhat decent and of the stats overall importance to things. Not having any in-game map and trying to memorize humungous level layouts got annoying fast. I love my retro gaming but this one might be too much of a leap backward for me. Time will tell. Shame the music from the Sega Mega CD port isn't in the PC one. Good music.

Seen Legend of Grimrock lately, icemann?

Playing Boiling Point for the first time. Not my thing, but I appreciate the drunk driving mechanics.

Currently obsessed with Orcs Must Die. Killing orcs have never been so fun.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yup, Orcs Must Die is more than it seemed at first glance. It seemed like a bland, mediŠval-skinned retread of older, better tower-defense titles. I wouldn't have bought if it weren't on sale at the time, but I can see now it's worth the full price. It's a refreshing take on the whole tower defense angle and not because you are literally defending a tower here. The tricks and traps and canny use of three-dimensional space gives it a sort of tactical longevity I haven't felt in any other tower defense-'em-up.

Meanwhile, I also bought Dark Void on that GamersGate sale for $5. I kept reading all these reviews that bashed it senseless for being poorly made and glitchy and just not good... and I don't get it. I've had maybe one glitch so far, and I can see it's repetitive, but the central mechanic is what it's all about: the jetpack.

It's a thrill to use. A double tap of a button sends you rocketing forward and you're zipping and swooping and doing all sorts of physically impossibly gymnastics in the air, and the game's execution of it captures that feeling of uninhibited flight just so. So it is a shame that the environments are walled off by invisible barriers, and they're not as big as something as joyful as a jetpack demands, but still... it's a joy to just fly around.

So far I think I'm only about halfway through, so my final impression's a ways away, but it's been pretty fun so far, and not at all as mediocre as the picture the gaming media painted. It's certainly not GotY material, but so far, it's been quite fun.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Playing Eye of The Beholder 1. After playing Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 I now properly understand the fine art of rerolling character stats till their somewhat decent and of the stats overall importance to things. Not having any in-game map and trying to memorize humungous level layouts got annoying fast. I love my retro gaming but this one might be too much of a leap backward for me. Time will tell. Shame the music from the Sega Mega CD port isn't in the PC one. Good music.
    If you're up for a bit of searching, some guy somewhere made a mod of the Amiga version with 256 color graphics and an ingame automap. You might want to consider looking for that one if you don't feel like breaking out the pencils and graph paper.

Edit: Here you go. Since I've never played with any Amiga stuff, I'm not sure if this is the disk image or what. But you know it exists, and this is as good a launching point as any.

Ooo nifty. With the Amiga version, did the 2 sequels make it over to the Amiga as well? My plan was to play through all 3 transferring my characters as I went. Assuming I don't get stuck of course. On my last play through of EOB1 I got stuck and needed an extra key to proceed that I could never find. Even walkthroughs were of no help.

Digital Nightfall: I remember seeing a gameplay video posted for that game over on RPS. Very very nice looking game.

Moderator and Priest
    Eye of the Beholder 2 with automap? Yup! EotB 3? Not so much.

Geez. Now I kinda want to play em.

I did find some maps online earlier tonight, though keeping track of where I was on them was difficult at times, especially at times when I needed to reload (due to party members getting poisoned by spiders).

Eye of the Beholder, eh? I remember playing all of those, long after they were "old", but still long enough ago that I can't really remember them that well. Random recollection is of finding a corpse, getting my cleric to raise dead, and having a new person to recruit.

I also remember Menzoberranzan, which was much fancier, had this whole "free 3D movement" thing going on (with an option to toggle back to step-based movement!), and a cool (and now very dated-looking) character generation sequence.

"Make known the name of the second character!"
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 3rd Dec 2011 at 21:48.

Yesterday I finished Modern Warfare 2 and got started on Planescape Torment - my first time since I originally played the game when it came out.

While I absolutely understand the criticism of MW2, and I don't think the SP is as effective as the original Modern Warfare's, the pacing does improve quite a bit after the first third or so... and I love what they did with the credit sequence.

Planescape Torment... I'd forgotten how well written that game is. In addition, with the widescreen patch it doesn't look half bad IMO. And the voice work is great.

Still Subjective
    Played EotB 1 and 2 brand new when they each came out. I don't know there was a 3 on the Amiga. Really enjoyed them both but compared to Dungeon Master the spell system was rubbish. Dungeon Master set a high bar for spells and level loading awesomeness.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Knows his stuff

In gamingnews this week: I'm busting out some cool tricks!

Yeeeeeeah!

Also I'm 10 hours into Test Drive Unlimited 2. Just reached Hawaii and bought myself a Subaru Impreza. Maaaan I'm telling you the Subaru is a goddamn rocket! Both on the road and offroad. And cheap! Only 35 000 bucks!

Also got Driver:SF but only played it a little bit. When I started TDU2 I though the steering was a bit too oversensitive, but I got used to it. Then I started Driver SF the steering in that is floaty as hell. I can not play these two at the same time, so I'm gonna finished TDU2 first. Or at least play it till I get bored of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Yup, Orcs Must Die is more than it seemed at first glance.
    I enjoyed it a lot too, though only for about 4 hours. It started feeling a bit formulaic eventually. Dunno. I have about 7 or so levels still to go in the storymode, might get back to it and finish it up eventually.

Well I might have got stuck in EOB1 again at the same damn bit on level 8 grrr. Chances of that I swear. I may have possibly used up too many keys as I wasn't aware that the game designers expected that you wouldn't use up all of your keys on the previous level. But I had opened all of the doors (not knowing that about the expectation for the following level) so may have hit a brick wall so to speak and need to start over. I hope not. Time will tell. Just as my party was starting to kick ass too.

[edit]
    Well it turns out that door wasn't the only way to proceed, as I found a workaround to continue (dropping down a pit trap on purpose). I'm now upto the 10th level. 2 to go after this one. I might beat this damn game for the first time, after all . Whilst the Amiga option was very tempting (thank you Renz) I didn't want to start again so have kept on with the PC version and keeping a map image (thanks to http://stanislavs.tripod.com/games/eob1maps.htm) handy as I play the game in dosbox. Which has been a godsend.
    Last edited by icemann; 5th Dec 2011 at 11:12.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Well, that's Mirror's Edge done with. Thinking it's Batman AA time next -- on my new TV. Bought a headphone extension cord too, so we'll see how that goes.

Eye of the beholder 1 complete. Very good overall. Though the final boss was a push over. I've since moved onto the 2nd game and I have to say that it is a major improvement. Better story, your party members + yourself actually speak occasionally now, more levels, better monster variety and much harder battles make this a much better game overall. Not looking forward to the 3rd game when I get up to it, but my plan from the beginning was to play through the trilogy. I'm currently about halfway through number 2.

How the EotB games play, ~20 years later? (Fuck, I feel old now...) I find that some games I enjoyed decades ago have aged really well in terms of UI, while others control so badly it's almost impossible for me to get into them at this point.

How the EOTB games play 20 years later (when factoring in all the new game improvements that have occurred since):

Graphically its as good as it always has been (though I'm biased as I have a love for retro gaming) which is one of the good sides to 2D graphics over 3D in my opinion. Controls wise they take some getting used to.

To give a more modern example, re-adapting to combat in the game took me about the same amount of time that it took me to master melee combat in The Witcher (so 30 mins roughly give or take). Though there are certain tactics like needing to quickly do 1-2 melee attacks then quickly side step before enemies have a chance to retaliate that aren't required till the 2nd game (and require mastering quick mouse click of the combat symbols first) which since movement can be done via the keyboard arrows and not just by clicking that my existing FPS experience (as it controls identical nearly to wasd movement of fps games) kicked in once that tactic was needed.

Where spells/magic are concerned, now that I've been spoiled on by Baldurs Gate (a different kind of rpg I know) and JRPG first person dungeon crawlers (eg Arcana, Phantasy Star 1 etc) I got used to being able to pause the action and strategise alittle, but since EOTB is completely real time that's not an option, and so battles against the more difficult enemies can get quite frantic since they often have a certain percentage chance of inflicting a status effect on a successful melee attack and others have 1 shot kill special attacks which doesn't help. How does this relate to casting spells? Well in the more difficult battles magic is more something you do when the enemy is far away or when you desperately need a person healed.

Clicking through the screens (you first need to right click the spell book, select the level of spell if the right level isn't the same level as the last spell you cast, and then click the spell to cast it, and you can only even cast the spell if the cool down has worn off (in Eye of the Beholder 2 and beyond. In the first game there wasn't any cool downs you could cast all you liked)) require very fast clicking to achieve without the enemy scoring a few hits on you whilst your going through the screens. Even now with me into the second game, I often get hit a few times whilst bringing up the right spell to cast.

But that's just how the game was intended and it adds tension to the gameplay. Sometimes it gets frustrating yes, but no battle is impossible (from what I've seen so far anyway) and the games are still good. It's just alot more on the hardcore rpg gaming end of the scale, than the casual side.

So if you've been playing alot of rpgs lately that have had you thinking "man games are too easy these days" give these games a go (more so the second game for difficulty, the first game is more your introduction + getting used to the controls and gameplay). To give an example of the difference, in the first game at its hardest bits you'll have maybe 5-8 enemies chasing you, whilst in the second I've already had bits with well over 50+ chasing my party which was just crazy, though I beat them eventually with the side stepping + luring of smaller groups of the 50+.

When I started playing the first game last week, at first I felt that the games were just too old and too much had changed for the better in rpgs (in terms of UI) for me to enjoy it. But once I gave the game a chance I got used to it. Though having a map handy (either by going with the Amiga port Renz mentioned earlier or by looking up maps online and using those for reference) is in my opinion essential as without them you WILL get lost, MANY times. Especially as there are certain traps in the game that do things like teleport you to an area that looks identical to the screen you were moving to, and others spin you slightly so that your suddenly facing a different direction. Those things without a map would completely throw you off.

I hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by icemann; 8th Dec 2011 at 14:06.

I had originally planned on waiting for a bit before starting Undead Nightmare, but I went ahead and installed it straight after completing RDR anyway. Having now finished UN as well I have to say I'm in two minds about it, really.

I didn't actually mind the move away from the more realistic to the more phantastical elements (and it's not like vanilla RDR didn't already include one of its own). In fact, the way that this is reflected in the gameplay is quite well done, imo: having to periodically save towns from the undead hordes in order to find places to rest, clearing out graveyards, ammunition doubling as currency, finding missing persons (as opposed to chasing bounties), etc. is all pretty interesting and quite a nice twist on vanilla RDR's original gameplay elements. The story is also quite good in making zombies fit in with the Western setting and shows that R* isn't completely averse to not taking things quite so seriously as some have accused them of being - a badass cowboy riding a unicorn that farts rainbows is a sight to behold.

The problem mostly lies in the form of enemies you face for most of the time. There's four basic types of undead, all bar one of which are melee-based units. This means that instead of the stand-offs at a distance from vanilla RDR you constantly get surrounded by enemies that start pummeling you. Whilst that may be consistent with the idea of getting overrun by the undead hordes the game engine isn't really cut out for this type of close quarters combat. That's why I spent most of my time in combat running towards one undead to get within execution range - all the whilst getting pummeled by his lovely friends - and then running away until my health had recovered. Rinse and repeat.

Nevertheless, for those who enjoyed RDR I think Undead Nightmare is not a bad little addition, as long as you can accept that some elements of the game don't work quite as well as they did in the vanilla game.

Not quite sure what's up next. I might finally finish my run-through of Ultima Underworld, or I might give Fallout: New Vegas a spin.
    Last edited by N'Al; 8th Dec 2011 at 14:44. Reason: NOW

I finished FEAR 2. Well, it was fun. For me, the first one is still The FEAR Game, but this one ain't that bad. I missed leaning, but I liked that the levels had more variety than in the first one. The gameplay and the AI was cool, almost as before. Also, the ending is pretty screwed up, I liked it. Reborn was a nice little extra, even if the first two levels were uninteresting 'building under construction' type.

Also, I started Assassin's Creed Revelations. Impressions:
    -same as the previous ones (both the good and the bad)
    -Den Defence is retarded, but at least it's not mandatory
    -different faces WTF?
    -I couldn't force any linguistic integrity out of this game, though I don't even know how it could be done. Playing the previous ones in Italian was cool, because they took place in Italy and it lended them a sense of authenticity. Now it's the Ottoman empire which had like three common languages (Ottoman Turkish, Arabic, Persian), and I don't even know what language would someone like Ezio use when talking with the locals. So I'm stuck with the 'accented English with thrown in original phrases' thing, but it becomes grating after a while for me. Eh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI6YXjPMAwk
    It's pretty depressing when a rail shooter has better writing/characters than recent other 'real' games. Papa Caesar and Clement are easily among the best villains in gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD27s...eature=related
    Last edited by justmea; 9th Dec 2011 at 21:37.

Playing bulletstorm after picking it up in the thanksgiving sale on steam.

You know... aside from all the juvenile language (which I've read was an accident due to the language barrier with the polish developers) this game is awesome. Probably the best implementation of the Unreal Engine I've seen. And I"m not much of a fan of UE3. I've been through some heavy firefights that were obviously heavily scripted, but they were FUN. I'd recommend this game to anybody who doesn't have their wife or kids watching over their shoulder while they play it. (or just use headphones)

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    the juvenile language (which I've read was an accident due to the language barrier with the polish developers)
    I don't believe a game like Bulletstorm with a decent budget and publisher support suffers that kind of 'accident'. The people handling the translation know.

Feel free to chalk it up to stupidity; but not an accident.

I'm now roughly about 3/4 way through Eye of the Beholder 2. Still good, though the difficulty tends to ramp up, then go down, then up again which is fine. The only annoying thing is in the increased use of secret passage walls and use of fake walls (as in something that looks like a wall but can be stepped through if you thought to attempt it at that location). Now the secret passage walls are fine, there's always a button that's hard to notice, but its there. But with the fake ones without having a map handy I don't see how they would expect someone to think to try and step through there.

True I am using a map so that negates that, but I'm just looking at it from a player of 1991's perspective as the game often has you fighting your way through say 5-20 rooms all of which look very similar to each other, and somewhere in those 5-20 they stick one and usually in a non obvious place. A minor annoyance anyway. They wouldn't have got away with that nowadays.

Page 38 of 286 FirstFirst ... 38131823283334353637383940414243485358636873788388138 ... LastLast