TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 305 FirstFirst 123456789141924293439444954104254 ... LastLast

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    What we've learned in the last 10 years is that every enemy having a low chance to hit you for your entire health bar, is pretty much entirely stupid. There is little room to praise it for any reason other than the "we walked barefoot uphill both ways through fields of broken glass and we liked it" mentality. Enemies that have a 100% chance to hit you for moderate damage is something that you can employ skill to prevent failure, with lucky critical hits being the "danger" that keeps you on your toes; in BG's methodology, skill's primary role in combat is skillfully choosing not to participate.

I was so annoyed with the amount of times I've had to reload that I ended up searching the internets for more advanced tips. I see the word "just reload" in almost everything I read, but the one that really got me was where I read that the majority of the advanced players send scouting classes ahead of the rest of their party to make sure it's safe. I love playing games, but that's the point where gameplay gets so tedious that it feels more like work than play.
    lol... you ever played straight up pen and paper DnD? now that shit was tedious. btw im not praising luck as the best factor of a game, but im not villainizing it as you do either. i accept it though lol.

you dont have to struggle through baldurs gate. just say its not for you and move on. however posting that one of the most celebrated game sagas ever made is fundamentally flawed due to following proper DnD mechanics is insanity.

furthermore criticizing the use of a scout in a game where its necessary is like saying its tedious to press a button to shoot in call of duty. its a proper rpg based on DnD, not a hack n slash/ beat em up. scout ahead or run head first into a situation you cant control - its up to you, the blame doesnt lie with the game mechanics.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    No, it lies with the idea that video games should be using pen and paper mechanics to begin with. You want to play a pen and paper game, go take over your mom's kitchen for a few hours. The rest of us want to actually play a fucking video game.

And as the game goes on, and your party members level up it all becomes alot easier. And then by the time you move onto BG2 you'll be hitting a large percentage of the time.

You might of course ignore what UnrelatedComa is saying because a) he wasn`t posting here since 1932 b) doesn`t like Caps Lock c) is disagreeing without apologising for it d) ooh, just fuck him.

Unfortunately his points are rather valid. Been watching these bawww posts about how difficult BA is and what can I say other than: right! I also always thought there was not enough comedy elements in Apocalypse Now!

First of all it`s not of course all "fields of broken glass" - I don`t remember any Infinity Engine games being unfairly difficult. As long as you build a semi-balanced party (2 fighters, paladin/rogue/3rd fighter, 2 mages and a healer) with proper gear and you`ll be fine. But ooooh wait ...do I still have to play the game as it was intended to ? Scouting/separating enemy mobs, having every action on PAUSE, switching ranged to melee to ranged whenever possible - nosir, this is just too much work!

Complaining about chance/luck element - something used in every non-twitch game (and some "twitch" too, of course) with strategy elements since first 00101 was put together... and up to very 2011? Can be only outdone by complaining about having to reload. Jesus...wept. Seems you guys have reaction time on par with Fatal1ty or these Mario speedrunners - surely never reloaded in, say, a Looking Glass game?

And what have we learned in these past 10 years? That turn based is different from real-time? Or that every "modern" RPG out there - including comedy-combat of Witcher and that nearly-on-rails one from Mass Effect - also uses elements of these ancient rules, only guess what - they`re hidden now so as not to offend anyone.

Hehe, me defending Baldurs Gate - game I hated upon release for killing turn based genre - irony is dead. In fact this is it`s major flaw - that switching to pause system takes away the total control and precision of SSI games. Stupid pathfinding, characters not doing what they`re told, everything going chaotic sometime - that I can agree with. It is by no means game-breaking though and I still - reluctantly, but - enjoyed it.

I don't recall BG being that brutal in the early stages. But I did rely heavily on bows, which are quite powerful.

Chakat sex pillow
    Bringing D&D mechanics to the PC was a great idea, because my god adding up those dice rolls.

Apart from that: there's nothing inherently wrong with D&D as an RPG paradigm to base the cRPG on because, of course, it invented the fucking RPG genre to begin with. We wouldn't have Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol or what the fuck ever have you today without bringing that stuff in here and streamlining the fuck out of it across the last two decades.

Quote Originally Posted by dexterward View Post
    Complaining about chance/luck element - something used in every non-twitch game (and some "twitch" too, of course) with strategy elements since first 00101 was put together... and up to very 2011? Can be only outdone by complaining about having to reload. Jesus...wept. Seems you guys have reaction time on par with Fatal1ty or these Mario speedrunners - surely never reloaded in, say, a Looking Glass game?
    Oh, I don't mind having to reload - if I've done something wrong, or if there was something I could've realistically done differently to change the outcome. But there wasn't. "Magic Missile in 2nd battle on main character, instant death!, X 5, uninstall" was quite literally what happened. "Reload because your tactics failed" is acceptable. "Reload until you don't die instantly" is not.

Sounds like some people need to get better at games...

The Infinity Engine games were based on a tabletop system that uses dice rolls. If you want to take issue with D&D that's one thing, but don't blame the games for being mostly faithful to their license.

Also - seriously, bows and slings. If you're dying from anything that isn't a boss or immune to non-enchanted weapons you're doing it wrong.

On my play through of BG1 I went predominately with bows and slings + had 2 rangers in my party and would switch to melee once enemies got close or get everyone to run back a bit. Another tactic was in having my full party setup for ranged, get 1 party member to gather all the enemies to target him and have that party member run around while the rest of the party picked them off. For the overall whole that did me fine, except when dealing with casters which required different tactics depending on enemy type and spells used. I did need to play it carefully with battles, as if I took on too many enemies I'd get slaughtered. As I mentioned previously though, this all becomes ALOT easier once your party members level up a bit. If you take the time to explore each zone before following the main quest line you'll be fine.

In BG2 I went far more melee and magic based. Though there was occasions where ranged was best. Specially once you get a few bows that have unlimited ammo.

Knows his stuff
    You might of course ignore what UnrelatedComa is saying because a) he wasn`t posting here since 1932
    Oh shit the new guys have figured out that we're all out to get them. GO TO PLAN B EVERYBODY!

Chakat sex pillow
    That's the one where we drop our pants and hose 'em, right?

Or was that plan C? Man, I can never remember which one's which.

The Alchemist
    Plan B was before you.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Sounds like some people need to get better at games...
    How does one get better at rolling dice? Seriously why is it so hard for people to accept that BG1 was a poorly designed game?

Putting powerful items not on bosses or dungeons but tiny spots on the ground in giant remote wilderness areas? SO RANDUM xD. Lots of uninteresting fetch quests. NPCs that are way too powerful and need to be debuffed...but you only have one or two chances. If it's resisted, your party is dead. Can't roleplay an evil character because the game absolutely fucks you over if you do. God I could go on and on.

DA: Origins emulated the PnP RPG almost perfectly. It can be challenging but not unfairly so. The failure is always on your part.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    Plan B was before you.
    Oh fine, be that way. When the signal sounds, I'm just going to whip it out and whizz anybody playing anything newer than SS2 anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    DA: Origins emulated the PnP RPG almost perfectly.
    Nope.
    It had great potential I admit, and exhilarating moments - for a while I thought it really is return to Bioware`s roots - which is what they never ceased to promise during it`s long and messy development.

Ultimately though it all fell apart later on - same problems that in BA, only worse. Characters ignoring crucial commands, absolute mess when in close range (everyone melting together: my dogs head sticking outta Morrigan`s fanny all covered in cloud of fire from some demon), weak spells & buffs. Criminal: inability to hold the goddamn line and especially defend a doorway - crucial survival thingy, only monsters always seem to be able to do what they want and go anywhere.
    Monsters? I mean the same 2.5 kinds of a monster per map. Last but not least: spamming infinite waves of said 2.5 monster. Ok, I played on hardest, but good tactical game would thrive at that setting.

Even so, I`d finish it, but there was even bigger problems with the game outside combat.

tl,dr; get Planescape: Torment. It is much less about combat and instead has one of the best narratives in gaming, period.

is Best Pony
    Shit

Everyone man the pumps, dethtoll's about to blow

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Bringing D&D mechanics to the PC was a great idea, because my god adding up those dice rolls.
    You know, he'd be a pretty good warrior if he had a better head for numbers.

Characters ignoring crucial commands, absolute mess when in close range (everyone melting together: my dogs head sticking outta Morrigan`s fanny all covered in cloud of fire from some demon), weak spells & buffs. Criminal: inability to hold the goddamn line and especially defend a doorway - crucial survival thingy, only monsters always seem to be able to do what they want and go anywhere.
    a.) Ignoring commands? Did you disable tactics? The only time I had NPC's refusing to do something was if they were unable to (i.e. it required moving through a solid object to get within melee range/line of sight/spell range). Otherwise I didn't have an issue.

b.) Weak spells? I'm pretty sure the optimal party in DAO is a warrior and 3 mages. I usually go with 2 warriors, a rogue, and a mage, but I'm fairly certain mages own everything. Yes, the first tier or two of spells in any tree tend to be underpowered but the last 2 are practically unstoppable. I don't think I encountered an enemy in the entire game (i.e. Origins + all DLC) that resisted cone of cold most of the time. Even the dragons could be killed easily by repeatedly freeze locking them. Throw in the Assassin's marking ability with some hex spells and the top tier damage spells and things die, rapidly.

c.) Never had an issue with doorways. Get party in a defensive formation, have warrior open the door, have everyone stay in formation until the enemy gets blocked in the doorway by my warrior, have the other 3 guys pelt them from afar with ranged weapons/spells. Laugh as shitty enemy AI rush to their death.

I've only played the first few levels, but good lord, Rock Of Ages = holy shit awesome.

Administrator
    What on Earth have they done to Marble Madness? That looks like the sort of game that will use up all its novel ideas on the first few levels and then repeat itself until it becomes tiresome. Hope that's not the case - keep us updated.

After a few months, I went back to Tremulous. I still LOVE this game. We were playing on Garith Station. We invaded the human base and we ripped the place apart. One human builder escaped though. None of us aliens noticed in the confusion. He proceeded to construct a new base in another area.

I told my fellow aliens not to destroy the reactor though: we instead held it hostage where it originally was. We allowed the humans to set up a new base and we lined up outside the door, ready to finally wipe them out. Then we told the alien tyrant guarding the captured reactor to destroy it, completely crippling the humans' base. Then we rushed in an annihilated them all!

I've actually used this tactic before. Sometimes there is a human who is smart enough to know what we aliens are doing, and they will send troops to de-construct their reactor. Other times, they have no idea.

The game is marble madness meets tower defense meets Terry Gilliam if he knew what videogames were and could finish a project in less than 10 years and on budget. You gain points by destroying things. Some things break easily, some things require momentum or hitting them at the right angle (typically by jumping, at least in the case of stationary towers). You use the points you earn during each run to build defensive structures and buy powerups for your rock (iron straps to add durability for that run, wings, etc). It takes a moment to build a new rock at the beginning and each time you destroy your previous one, so during that time you try to build things as fast as possible so your opponent doesn't get the jump on you. Whomever destroys the enemy gate and kills the other person wins.

That's basically the first 2 tutorials in a nutshell. I dunno what else it's going to add but it's a blast so far. Moving the rock feels genuinely great, the momentum seems perfectly modelled which makes it difficult to quickly navigate sharp turns and requires you to build some speed up before deliciously smashing into buildings/people/whatever. With the details cranked up it looks fantastic as well and runs great on an old system (e7200/8800gt 512).

Quote Originally Posted by lost_soul View Post
    I told my fellow aliens not to destroy the reactor though: we instead held it hostage where it originally was. We allowed the humans to set up a new base and we lined up outside the door, ready to finally wipe them out. Then we told the alien tyrant guarding the captured reactor to destroy it, completely crippling the humans' base. Then we rushed in an annihilated them all!
    HOW CAN THEY CUT THE POWER?! THEY'RE ANIMALS!

Page 4 of 305 FirstFirst 123456789141924293439444954104254 ... LastLast