TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 438 of 448 FirstFirst ... 188338388393398403408413418423428433434435436437438439440441442443 ... LastLast
Results 10,926 to 10,950 of 11184

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Plays 3 & 4 but skips New Vegas. Bah.
    Actually New Vegas is my favorite I just meant now jumping between 3 and 4 because I've played NV so much.

Ah

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I dunno if I've mentioned this yet, but I've had Dead Cells for a couple of weeks now. Despite being an early access game, it is excellent all around. The gifs on that page will help illustrate it's unbridled awesomeness.

Between this and Hollow Knight, we might've reached peak Metroidvania.
    I just grabbed Dead Cells this friday and it is indeed excellent.

Urgh, I had written a longer post about how I'd recently played L.A. Noire, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and Scribblenauts Unlimited, but I accidentally lost the whole thing...

In brief:
    L.A. Noire - an interesting modern take on adventure games, where you have to hunt around 3D space for clues rather than waving your mouse around a 2D view to find interactable items, and where dealing with other characters involves trying to work out if the extremely detailed mo-cap actor who was told to act shifty is actually lying or not (and, more importantly, if you can prove it.)
    Let down somewhat by excessive action/combat sequences (aren't most modern adventure games?) and often needing to know what train of thought the developers had in mind in order to know what your conversation options would actually do (and so avoid your character randomly accusing them of totally unrelated things when you doubt them.)

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - nice atmosphere, setting, environments and storytelling, marred by poorly-designed gameplay systems and clunky movement controls.
    One early section requires you to quickly jump up onto furniture (such as crates) because there's a monster in the water that will rush towards you if you touch the water, but it was frustratingly hard to get up there because the game doesn't have mantling and the jumping was awkward. In another section, I looked around mid-jump and my character did an L-turn in mid air and launched himself off a cliff.
    Things like that remind me of how important having good, smooth and fluid movement controls are in any type of game.
    The enemies also annoyed me. They tend to pop up out of nowhere (scripted, to try to jump-scare you), but equally love to randomly vanish for no reason. You don't sneak past them, or wait for them to go somewhere else so that you can get past them - instead, you just hide in a corner until they randomly pop out of existence and you can continue. It makes them feel more like an extremely random gameplay device than actual creatures that are really there. Add the fact that you have no way to fight back and they can outrun you, and also factor in that they tend to vanish after reloading, the ideal course of action was usually to just let them see you and kill you, and then be free to explore the now-empty area.

Scribblenauts Unlimited - an interesting concept that feels wasted due to the type of game that it's in.
    Being able to summon almost anything you can think of (except, oddly, alcohol) is an interesting concept for a puzzle game, but unfortunately the game rarely gives you real puzzles to solve with it. Most of the challenges are instead of the form of "give X an item that does Y" or "summon X here".
    Meanwhile, the game is filled with pop-up messages and cutscenes, which is frustrating both because you spend half of your time watching cutscenes and trying to close windows instead of playing, but also because the messages usually tell you exactly what to do instead of making you think to puzzle out the solution.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 12th Jun 2017 at 14:59.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Completely hooked on Hyper Light Drifter right now. The pixel art is great and its' got a nice retro feel. Great exploration too, plus combat is unique and really fun (and hard). But in an era of of excessive hand holding and objective markers in most games these days, it's really awesome to play one that tells you nothing and forces you to figure everything out for yourself. Takes balls to do that.

Bendy and the Ink Machine. Gameplay is pretty simple. But I really dig its style. It spoke to me.

Last edited by demagogue; 13th Jun 2017 at 04:35.

I recently finished Soma a couple of weeks ago but just noticed that I hadn't actually submitted the post (kind of a weird thing that happens sometimes on my Surface). What a ride, and probably one of the most memorable "survival horror" games (not really an apt title but as close as I can think of at this time of night) in recent memory. Mostly this was a result of having interesting concept presented in a novel way that had me deeply invested in the game long after the twist was revealed, while managing to maintain the level of immersion and tension right through to the end. I think it's probably their best game to date in terms of the quality of the writing and production values.

Since then I've mostly been knee deep in The Last of Us, which I finally picked up on a recent sale; it's been on my bucket list for a very long time, having been recommended here on a PS4 thread a couple of years ago. This has really raised the bar I feel for storydriven games, and full of surprises throughout.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeeees, those are a couple great games, twisty!

What am I playing? How bout what I'm NOT PLAYING.

Not playing:
    Rain World - NOPE! That water monster was the LAST STRAW.
    Glittermitten Grove - man I dunno, I don't think I can finish this.
    Snake Pass - the HONEYMOON IS OVER, BABY! Completed the first 3 worlds, but just not feelin it enough to power through the last world.
    Just Cause 3 - terrible PS4 performance and also it's not really floating my boat for some reason.

Playing:
    Life is Strange - Sulphur gifted me the Steam version a while back(thanks Sulph!), but I did not get around to playing this till it turned up in this month's PS+. Feels more like a sofa game than a PC game. I'm not the biggest adventure games fan, so-so on Telltale's stuff, but yeah, I'm really digging this! Started ep 2 last night. Only thing I don't like is the constant notifications about how my choices matter and the game letting me know what boring, mainstream choices I made at the end of every episode.
    Gravity Rush 2 - this and Horizon Zero Dawn is on sale at the moment and I was deliberating between them, but ended up going with this. Wanna save HZD for those long, lazy summervacation days when I can waste a day bumming around the countryside, hunting dinos without feeling like I have anything else I sould be doing. Anyway, Gravity Rush 2! Er... the opening was unexpected and fun!

I don't know what it is, but I know I want it:

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Playing:
    Life is Strange - Sulphur gifted me the Steam version a while back(thanks Sulph!)
    You're welcome, as always. I'd agree that it's more of a sofa game. The Twin Peaks vibes and the small-townness of its drama makes it ideal for that. Also fairly decent overall despite some flaws, so definitely worth the time it takes to get to the end.

Realised I lost my complaint Amnesia's enemies, so went back up and edited it in.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Gravity Rush 2 - this and Horizon Zero Dawn is on sale at the moment and I was deliberating between them, but ended up going with this. Wanna save HZD for those long, lazy summervacation days when I can waste a day bumming around the countryside, hunting dinos without feeling like I have anything else I sould be doing. Anyway, Gravity Rush 2! Er... the opening was unexpected and fun!
    I only enjoyed the first one so-so as a game, but I really liked its personality. Let's see how much Gravity Rush 2 is discounted!

So I'm not sure if anyone here has played the Eye of the Beholder series, but I've been slowly playing them over the past couple years (since they showed up on GOG). I finished the first one, and have been playing the second for the last couple weeks.

... and I think it has defeated me.

Damn those Will 'o wisps. They... just... won't... die. I'm midway through the Silver tower now, and trying to fight them is beyond tedious. I may try evading them with mass invisibility, but if that fails, I'll probably be switching to something else

About a week ago I bought For Honor. I've been playing it since then, an hour or so every day. The combat is fantastic, the character desings are great and the visuals, especially the character animations are top notch. I never played a multiplayer game before (other than Dark Souls) but I'm having a blast with this.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Mass Effect Andromeda is finally completed and watching the E3 conferences have gotten me back into Skyrim SE.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

I replayed FEAR: Perseus Mandate recently. Solid campaign aside from rather dull, copypasta levels near the beginning. FEAR's terrific action gameplay is the highlight of course.

Moderator and Priest
    I just bought Ori and the Blind Forest. Hollow Knight comparisons will be incoming.

Tell us how much you cried.

Moderator and Priest
    ...I cried so hard.

I've been playing Rising Storm 2, Tripwire's multiplayer Vietnam FPS, and it's by far the best Red Orchestra game yet. The gunplay has been tweaked enough to not feel like as much of a sniperfest as the WW2 games, and the two sides are asymmetrical enough to be interesting without playing radically differently. They've also listened to the community and removed unlockable weapons in favor of unlockable cosmetics, and are actively adjusting the balance in response to player feedback.

Right now there are only 5 maps, but for $25 it's a steal, and more maps should be on the way.

Southquarter.com/fms
    With Metroid Prime 4 announced, I thought I'd go back and replay the original (Metroid Prime, not NES Metroid). Man, it's still really awesome, and holds up well (the updated textures and widescreen on the Wii U help). I know we've been throwing the immersive sim term around a lot lately, but this game is it, you really feel like you're there on Tallon IV and you're Samus. The motion controls on the Wii U take some getting used to, but once you do, they're great. This game actually feels very VR, without actually being VR, somehow.

I hope Nintendo's decision of not using Retro Studios for #4 works out, because they did a hell of a job on Prime 1.

I've recently really been getting into ArmA 3. I played a ton of Operation Flashpoint (Now ArmA Cold War Assault) as a kid, demoed ArmA 2 and honestly wasn't impressed but 3 is so far absolutely fantastic. It has depth while still being fluid with it's controls.

Bit tired of all these wildly ambitious games and wanted something soothing for the soul. Found it in a dark little charming adventure called Goetia, put out by Square Enix and developed by Sushee. Set in the early 1900s, you control a spirit floating through an old manor and its surroundings, uncovering clues about your family and their dealings in the occult. It plays like a metroidvania point and click adventure game, where some parts of the manor are warded off until you uncover certain sigils and abilities, but you can also tackle each of the 5 areas in any order you like.

On first glance the art style makes it look like one of those low budget "hidden object" games, but in reality it's a compelling adventure game through and through, rich with backstory and readables, impressively challenging puzzles, and a haunting score that really sets the tone.

Thumbs up to everyone that recommended The Last of Us. Without doubt one of the best games I've played in recent years. Such a beautiful journey; from the subtle way that the relationship develops between the main two characters and with how they dealt with multiple themes such as loyalty, loss, identify and purpose in a world where everything has fallen apart. An almost perfect game imo, just let down very slightly by a couple of drawn out gun battles and an annoying boss fight.

verbose douchebag
    Been playing around the Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator. It's fun, but hardly groundbreaking. Very little AI to speak of, but there is a strange satisfaction to be had of setting off a group of 10,000 zombies against groups of US WWII soldiers, knights, archers and catapults spaced out at choke points and watching them get overwhelmed by the sheer numbers before finally being whittled down at the final one. Takes a few hours of tweaking the numbers and positioning to get a satisfying balance, but very satisfying when you get there.

Page 438 of 448 FirstFirst ... 188338388393398403408413418423428433434435436437438439440441442443 ... LastLast