TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

I really enjoyed this video essay on Life Is Strange by Innuendo Studios.

Jesh, which ending did you go for? I made the same choice as henke; anything else would've felt
    spoiler:
    disrespectful to Chloe and her own choice.

Breath of The Wild finished off after I dunno how many months. Many.

Is this the best Zelda game of all time? Yes. Definitely yes. Has an absolute mammothload of stuff to do. Side quests, shrines, acquiring and upgrading armor, finding out good food recipees, exploring. So much to do. Great story and pretty good music. Combat is top notch. Takes some getting used to at first, but you get the hang of it with time.

The shrines are a real standout in this game. Kinda Portal-ish in that they often involve elaborate puzzles. Some you'll take 1 look at it, and go yep I know how to do that. Other's you stumble / work out a solution after a while. And others you'll use a walkthrough. One particular one across 2 shrines that dealt with star constellations I'd never have figured out on my own.

On an exploration scale, this game has the largest amount of land to explore about in that I can think of. Bigger than Fallout 4 that's for sure. There's just so much to explore everywhere. Every little mountain could have a hidden korok seed, or lead you to a shrine etc etc.

Now would I play this game again? Hmm. I'm leaning more towards a no, and that's purely down to the time investment needed. Also as once you've explored everything then you've seen it all. To compare to say the Witcher 3 which had the exploration too and hidden stuff, but then you also had the replayability with quests having multiple routes + roleplaying. For BOTW you don't have that. There is only 1 way to accomplish a quest (usually), so a different play through wouldn't result in differences there.

By this point I've had some serious burnout from playing almost nothing but this (besides the Lost Vikings 1&2) for ages.

I'll continue going through the DLC as it's released though. But unlike say Link to the Past where it only takes a week at most to beat it and thus is good to come back to, time and time again. For BOTW that time required to beat it (and do all the side stuff) is like 3-4 months. I dunno. Either way I highly recommend this game to everyone. Fantastic game. Best in the series by a long shot. Prior to this one, Link To The Past was my all time favorite.

Level 10,000 achieved

Unplayed Steamgames of the week

(of last week actually, but I forgot to post my thoughts on them then)

Moon Hunters

I got icemann's spare Steam key of this back when it released(thanks again!), but only got around to giving it a proper go now. It's an action-RPG with gameplay that feels like a middle-ground to Hammerwatch and Hyper Light Drifter. The campaign plays out over 5 days, during which time you have to find out what has happened to the moon(it's missing). I did make it all the way through my first campaign, but apparently there's a whole bunch of different endings, and I'm pretty sure I got the "bad" one. Things you unlock in this playthrough can be used again in later campaigns though, so that's cool.

Overall, it's ok, but I'm not sure I can be bothered playing it again.

FATE: Probably uninstall

Kona

I'd only poked at this a bit after the full release came out, but I'm glad I sat down for a longer session. It was a bit hard to get into at first, with the game throwing about a half-dozen different plot-strands at you, making it feel overwhelming and exhausting. But I'm 2 hours in now and it's got me hooked. I'm focusing one on plot-strand at a time and enjoying the progress. I'm reminded strongly of Firewatch, which I played last summer around this time. Kona is a broader game, gameplay-wise, not just adventure, but also survival game and horror/mystery. There's more fun hands-on gamey stuff, like being able to shoot guns and drive a truck. But it does share Firewatch's shape-shifting story. You never really know what kind of story it is.

I also wanna give props to this game's cool style. I love the text displays on things. And I love the narrator. When most games attempt humor, it's crap. Whenever Kona's narrator attempts humor, it's crap, but it's crap in a very endearing "dad joke" kind of way. Instead of making you roll your eyes it makes you smile and shake your head.

I'm currently at the part where I have to open the electric-lock to get the keys for the snowmobile.

FATE: I'm finishing this for sure!

Next(this) week's games: Rogue Stormers, The Beginner's Guide
    Last edited by henke; 17th Jul 2017 at 14:27.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Breath of The Wild finished off after I dunno how many months. Many.
    As I recall, you began this on the emulator. Did you play it entirely with the emulator?

Started on my switch, then switched (no pun intended) over to emulator soon after due to the far better controls of my ps2 gamepad and I'd heard of it working on emulators so wanted to see how it compared. There is also the better ease of switching between programs as note taking is a MUST for this game. The amount of notes I had typed up for this game to keep track of stuff. Damn.

Now giving Batman Arkham Asylum (PC/Steam) a go. Not a bad game. Having fun so far.

Thing What Kicks
    How is the emulation now icemann? Last time I checked, Link was frequently clipping through scenery along with other weird bugs.

I do need to get back to and finish it at some point, but I really don't get the universal adoration for the game. I can only attribute it to ridiculous brand loyalty, much like that exhibited by Apple fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    but I really don't get the universal adoration for the game.
    To me it feels like a "I bought a Switch and this is the only game I have for it, so the game must be amazing" kind of rationalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    How is the emulation now icemann? Last time I checked, Link was frequently clipping through scenery along with other weird bugs.
    It's not perfect, but close to from an emulation standpoint. Several months back when I started, I was using v1.7.5 of Cemu and that already had the clipping and main bugs fixed presumably as I never experienced any of those in all my time playing it. Flash forward to present day and I'm using v1.8.1 and all that's really resulted in, is the showing of more special effects whilst removing a couple of others (which presumably will be fixed in the next version of the emulator due out at the end of the month). At the end of each month a new version comes out.

Bugs I've encountered across all the versions:
    * Camera not always locking onto targets for identification - This made one particular quest (where you had to take photos of specific guardian robots) really damn frustrating + requiring split second timing of camera shots, as it would lock on, but only for a split second. Sometimes occurred on identifying weapons and other things as well. VERY ANNOYING bug.
    * Crashes - Encountered this one from the get go. Doesn't happen all the time, but still semi often under certain circumstances like when gliding (which you need to do very often), randomly when teleporting/fast traveling, and just randomly when exploring, combat etc. It didn't happen enough to ruin the game, but at times it nearly did.
    * Glitchy textures - This one was more in certain locations, like in lava areas, some mountain regions. Not something I would encounter often, but this varied based on where I was.
    * Some cutscenes would not display, and just show garbled stuff instead - Apparently you needed some extra program called CemuHook for this to work properly. It didn't happen on all of the cutscenes as some were rendered in-game and those worked fine. This would happen only on the pre-recorded ones. I just looked up the corresponding cutscene on youtube when this would happen.

Not a bug per say but long load times for loading of shaders (emulator specific problem) was annoying. Each time I'd update the emulator it seemed to drastically lower the amount of shaders needing to be loaded, but on playing the game over numerous first off loadings the amount of shaders would increase slightly each time, thus increasing the load time. To give an example, on a fresh install or install of a new cemu version it would load instantly. Then a few loads later would be a few hundred, then a thousand, 2 thousand, 5 thousand etc etc. So over time this became more of an issue.

Frame rate improved across the versions. In v1.7.5 it was something like 10-25 fps (the switches standard fps is something like 30 I think). 15-30 in v1.8.1, sometimes lower. Would vary based on area and situation.
    Last edited by icemann; 18th Jul 2017 at 09:29.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    To me it feels like a "I bought a Switch and this is the only game I have for it, so the game must be amazing" kind of rationalization.
    I'd consider that a possibility, except for the fact that I've put 150+ hours into the game. I would never dedicate that much time to anything just because I think I should.

I also think it would be getting almost as much attention if it were a non-Nintendo title. It's that good. Not perfect of course, but very good.

Much of what I've read and seen about the game leads me to conclude that people's love for it is genuine. At the same time, from what I've heard, I could imagine feeling relatively similar to Malf. Perhaps it's the Far Cry 2 of Zelda games...

I'd say to give it a try yourself and then judge from there. That's what I did. Played for an hour on a friends one, and that made the decision for me.

Oh, it's on my list of games I'm interested in, but at the same time I've got many, many games I've already got that need playing. I'll give it a try when it's come down in price or when I get *really* curious, but for now I can live quite happily not knowing whether I'd enjoy Breath of the Wild or not.

It definitely is outstanding, and if you are a Zelda fan it will blow your mind. However the replayability is pretty much non-existent, as I cant see anyone going back once having finished it. I am interested to see how the story dlc coming at the end of the year will pan out.

Definitely can't see many going back. It's just too much of a time investment.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think it's the kind of thing you go back to five years later to rediscover the experience.

True. Like New Vegas. I had fun revisiting that last year.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I saw this game on RPS, looks kind of interesting. An open world game with no fighting. Looks very Zelda-like. It's only 20 bucks, I think I'll pick it up tonight for the PS4:

Batman - Arkham Asylum finished off. I really enjoyed this game. Stays true to the cartoon most definitely + had all the same voice actors (I think). Had a blast.

8/10

Level 10,000 achieved

(these I actually played this week)

Rogue Stormers

Previously titled DieselStörmers, this is by the Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams devs, and Jesh gifted it to me(thanks again!) back when it was in Early Access. It's a sidescrolling twin-stick shootey thing, where you controll a character through procedurally-generated levels and unlock upgrades and whatnot. The visual style is very busy and kinda ugly I gotta say, but it plays ok. Still, it's not gonna keep my interest.

FATE: Uninstall

The Beginner's Guide

Walking sim from the Stanley Parable dev. A narrator guides your through the creations of a game developer friend of his, and a narrative emerges. I'd actually watched the Errant Signal vid on this before I started so I had it pretty much spoiled for me, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I'd say it's even better than the Stanley Parable.

FATE: Uninstall, because I already finished it!

Next week's games: Headlander, Subnautica

The Beginner's Guide seems cool and is something I'd likely enjoy. Furthermore, my ye olde PC will be able to run it well (unlike similar games like Edith Finch and Firewatch, which I'd get if only my PC could run them in anything besides ultra-low detail mode). Added it to my wishlist, thanks henke!

I finally pulled together the motivation to play through the last DXMD DLC (A Criminal Past) and it was...ok. It was basically another self-contained DXHR or DXMD mission with all that entails. I think I would have liked it more before Prey and DH2 came out and showed that you can make something that's both an interesting ImSim and a AAA console game. In retrospect, I feel like instead of making DXHR/DXMD/T4, Eidos Montreal should have just made a sci-fi stealth action game.

Now I'm trying to slog through the FO4 DLC. Automatron... meh. Don't get me wrong, the crafting bit where you can modify your bots and create new ones is good for what it is, but the main questline was pretty shit. The final part of the final mission is literally an arena fight against waves of the least-fun enemies to fight in the game, and there's no really any payoff to finishing it once you get the crafting additions which are right at the beginning of it. You get a useless "settlement" that you can't even build a beacon at, although at least unlike HomePlate you can link it to your trade network.

Now I'm playing through Far Harbor which might be the best thing in FO4, period. The world design seems to make sense (i.e. it doesn't feel like an amusement park like most of FO4), there are factions with clear survival-based goals, and I'm pretty sure it has the longest conversations in the game even though they're still crippled by the horrible 4-way conversation system. So far so good. I haven't gotten to the bit that everyone says is broken yet so I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    These mini-reviews are actually pretty fun and interesting to read. I think you should start a new thread for this kinda thing, if you're planning to keep this going for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    These mini-reviews are actually pretty fun and interesting to read. I think you should start a new thread for this kinda thing, if you're planning to keep this going for a while.
    I second this. It'd be nice to see them collected together and easy to find and re-read when I'm trying to decide what to play next. But only if this wouldn't make it too much of a pain for henke.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Aww man, I was thinking of making a separate thread when I started this exercise but then decided not to. It's just gonna be a shortterm thing, over the vacation. I got 3 more sets planned, for the next 3 weeks.

Chakat sex pillow
    I think it's a good idea, and if more people want to continue it as a sort of backlog challenge, it makes sense to have a thread. Our friendly neighbourhood mods would be happy to help, I'm sure.

Page 442 of 454 FirstFirst ... 192342392397402407412417422427432437438439440441442443444445446447452 ... LastLast