TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think it's the kind of thing you go back to five years later to rediscover the experience.

True. Like New Vegas. I had fun revisiting that last year.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I saw this game on RPS, looks kind of interesting. An open world game with no fighting. Looks very Zelda-like. It's only 20 bucks, I think I'll pick it up tonight for the PS4:

Batman - Arkham Asylum finished off. I really enjoyed this game. Stays true to the cartoon most definitely + had all the same voice actors (I think). Had a blast.

8/10

Level 10,000 achieved

Unplayed Steamgames of the week

(these I actually played this week)

Rogue Stormers

Previously titled DieselStörmers, this is by the Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams devs, and Jesh gifted it to me(thanks again!) back when it was in Early Access. It's a sidescrolling twin-stick shootey thing, where you controll a character through procedurally-generated levels and unlock upgrades and whatnot. The visual style is very busy and kinda ugly I gotta say, but it plays ok. Still, it's not gonna keep my interest.

FATE: Uninstall

The Beginner's Guide

Walking sim from the Stanley Parable dev. A narrator guides your through the creations of a game developer friend of his, and a narrative emerges. I'd actually watched the Errant Signal vid on this before I started so I had it pretty much spoiled for me, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I'd say it's even better than the Stanley Parable.

FATE: Uninstall, because I already finished it!

Next week's games: Headlander, Subnautica

The Beginner's Guide seems cool and is something I'd likely enjoy. Furthermore, my ye olde PC will be able to run it well (unlike similar games like Edith Finch and Firewatch, which I'd get if only my PC could run them in anything besides ultra-low detail mode). Added it to my wishlist, thanks henke!

I finally pulled together the motivation to play through the last DXMD DLC (A Criminal Past) and it was...ok. It was basically another self-contained DXHR or DXMD mission with all that entails. I think I would have liked it more before Prey and DH2 came out and showed that you can make something that's both an interesting ImSim and a AAA console game. In retrospect, I feel like instead of making DXHR/DXMD/T4, Eidos Montreal should have just made a sci-fi stealth action game.

Now I'm trying to slog through the FO4 DLC. Automatron... meh. Don't get me wrong, the crafting bit where you can modify your bots and create new ones is good for what it is, but the main questline was pretty shit. The final part of the final mission is literally an arena fight against waves of the least-fun enemies to fight in the game, and there's no really any payoff to finishing it once you get the crafting additions which are right at the beginning of it. You get a useless "settlement" that you can't even build a beacon at, although at least unlike HomePlate you can link it to your trade network.

Now I'm playing through Far Harbor which might be the best thing in FO4, period. The world design seems to make sense (i.e. it doesn't feel like an amusement park like most of FO4), there are factions with clear survival-based goals, and I'm pretty sure it has the longest conversations in the game even though they're still crippled by the horrible 4-way conversation system. So far so good. I haven't gotten to the bit that everyone says is broken yet so I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Unplayed Steamgames of the week
    These mini-reviews are actually pretty fun and interesting to read. I think you should start a new thread for this kinda thing, if you're planning to keep this going for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    These mini-reviews are actually pretty fun and interesting to read. I think you should start a new thread for this kinda thing, if you're planning to keep this going for a while.
    I second this. It'd be nice to see them collected together and easy to find and re-read when I'm trying to decide what to play next. But only if this wouldn't make it too much of a pain for henke.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Aww man, I was thinking of making a separate thread when I started this exercise but then decided not to. It's just gonna be a shortterm thing, over the vacation. I got 3 more sets planned, for the next 3 weeks.

Chakat sex pillow
    I think it's a good idea, and if more people want to continue it as a sort of backlog challenge, it makes sense to have a thread. Our friendly neighbourhood mods would be happy to help, I'm sure.

We could always give this another go: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146832

Chakat sex pillow
    Good point. I'd entirely forgotten about that thread.

Goodness knows I need something to help me clear my backlog. I'm embarrassed to say I have more than 1,500 games in my Steam library, the overwhelming majority unplayed. Sure, most of those are cheap bundle fodder, but they still deserve a chance.

Moderator and Priest
    1500? Geez. I've just got 242.

...I feel inadequate.

What are your thoughts about modifying the backlog reduction challenge so that the games are chosen by someone else?

That would be interesting, although for people who don't use Backloggery where would the game lists be drawn from?

There's a very clever minimalist platformer called Inside I've been giving a whirl. Surreal little cinematic & atmospheric world, very realistic but still technically side scrolling, and the right measure of puzzles to platforming to just straight up running action. Better to play it without listening to anything in advance since discovering the world reveal itself is part of it.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's pretty popular, dema. These guys did make a game called Limbo, after all, which was almost instantly famous (I hated it, but Inside was brilliant). We sorta talked about it in this thread.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 22nd Jul 2017 at 14:01. Reason: typo bustin'

Ah, Inside, another game I'm sure to get when I buy a new computer that can run it. Or if I choose to buy a PS4 (currently I only have a PS3).

Currently playing Prey. Very System Shock 2-ish and far more "Shock" than Bioshock ever was.

Picking where to spend neuromod points is tricky. So much good stuff to spend it on. Story seems interesting. As I didn't watch any trailer videos (besides the initial E3 video 2 years ago) and didn't watch any reviews, everything is new and completely unexpected.

The moment I got a wrench and broke the window in the "apartment", that was my first "woah" moment. The enemies really keep you on your toes. Stepping outside the ship and floating about was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    That would be interesting, although for people who don't use Backloggery where would the game lists be drawn from?
    I haven't heard of that site before. I used some other Steam related one previously (can't remember what it was called off the top of my head; I'll search for it later) but a quick Google search reveals a number of these sorts of sites now. For Steam at least; couldn't find one for GOG. Hard to know how safe some of these sites are through.

The main thing holding me back is time at the moment -- I've been working 7 days a week on a troubled project at work that has sucked all my time. Apart from playing some Ark on the PS4 with my oldest son over the weekend, I haven't played anything for the past 2 weeks. I don't really want to start something that I can't commit so will wait until life returns to normal in the next week or two.

Now playing my free copy of Shadow Warrior. 11hrs in and holy hell is it addictive idiotic fun.

How is the sequel? I have heard some here praise the verticality and destructive environments, but others elsewhere decry the procedurally generated levels. How does it hold up on the whole?

Both are true. You get to engage in some highly satisfying carnage and feel like a badass action hero (okay, not exactly a hero), but some of the levels do get a bit boring. The huge and repetitive techno city which the main story insists you keep going back to was particularly tedious for me, but mostly they're not too bad, and at least for me carving up fools made up for it. I seem to burn out on most games before finishing them these days, but had no trouble going through SW2, so overall highly recommended if you like the idea of the same sort of action as the first game dialed up a couple notches in occasionally slightly aimless levels.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    Now playing my free copy of Shadow Warrior. 11hrs in and holy hell is it addictive idiotic fun.

How is the sequel? I have heard some here praise the verticality and destructive environments, but others elsewhere decry the procedurally generated levels. How does it hold up on the whole?
    The procedurally generated levels can be both a boon and a bane. They're a boon if you intend to replay the game (eg. for NG+ on a harder difficulty), as you won't be going through the exact same path and killing the exact same enemies in the exact same locations. They're a bane for those who want a specific layout they can learn to go through, and for those who get tired of going back to the same environment over and over again. And the game does rely on you going back to similar locations several times.

As far as the combat itself goes, I vastly prefer SW2 to the previous game. The weapons are (almost) all satisfying to play around with, they all behave differently and there are many more than in SW2013. One thing to note, the random mod drops can feel like they interrupt the flow if you check them every time you get a few. You should instead wait until you complete each mission to check what you've gotten, unless your damage feels too low for the normal enemies you're facing. Also don't forget to make sure you have weapons with different elemental damage types available once you get a bit further in.

Page 442 of 459 FirstFirst ... 192342392397402407412417422427432437438439440441442443444445446447452457 ... LastLast